Texas deep freeze carnage thread

immamac

5 minutes ago, Player said:

I think your guy is trying to make you feel better about the NLAA fucking he gave you.

I picked one up for less than $30 yesterday at Sprinkler Warehouse on Jackrabbit Rd.

Maybe so. Maybe you should have shared that with the rest of the group before I paid $225 to have it replaced. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My parents in BFE East Texas never lost power or water cause they’re in the LA shared grid. They lose power on 70 degree April days sometimes since all lines are through dense pine trees. Sharing works. 

Nevertheless, I think hooking up our massive demand and failing grid to another grid is not necessarily a complete solution, and maybe no solution at all.

Ok, I think most people have the immediate plumbing stuff addressed (ie no active leaks). What about plants?

I have a (had a?) large blue agave in my front yard. Most of the arms are mush. But the center stalk is erect.  Will it make it?

Have (had?) a big spineless prickley pear cactus that looked like it melted. Ironically, the ones with thorns look fine. Would have rathered the opposite. 

Have (had?) a couple of big sago palms, the fronds are all yellow. Are they goners?

Ok, I think most people have the immediate plumbing stuff addressed (ie no active leaks). What about plants?
I have a (had a?) large blue agave in my front yard. Most of the arms are mush. But the center stalk is erect.  Will it make it?
Have (had?) a big spineless prickley pear cactus that looked like it melted. Ironically, the ones with thorns look fine. Would have rathered the opposite. 

Have (had?) a couple of big sago palms, the fronds are all yellow. Are they goners?

Our sagos are yellow too, but greening up a little bit on the bottom so I'm hopeful they'll make it. I lost a few really nice prickly pears though, which sucks.

Just now, BradInATX said:

Our sagos are greening up a little bit on the bottom so I'm hopeful they'll make it. I lost a few really nice prickly pears though, which sucks.

I'll be honest.....I didn't think anything could kill prickly pear.  But as I drive around and see the carnage....I was clearly wrong.  They all look to be toast.  Like....all of them.  It's going to be fascinating next hunting season to be in a landscape where all the prickly pear is dead, and has to start over.

I'm also wondering how many trees are going to die.  Oaks etc. -- big natives -- should make it.  But I think a lot of ornamentals and invasives will die.  Cedars, of course, other than broken limbs from the weight of the snow, ARE FUCKING FINE.  NOTHING CAN KILL THEM.  EVIL NEVER DIES.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, hornian said:

I've read you need to cut away the mush on plants like the agave, and try to protect the center from any further freezing, by covering.  The mush can rot and grow other bad stuff on it (mold?) that will harm whatever good part is still left.

Our sago palms usually come back bigger than ever after we have enough of a freeze to turn their fronds yellow, after we cut them back.  Of course, they've never gone through such a deep freeze that lasted 6 days before either, obviously.   You can go ahead and cut off all the bad yellow fronds and also this will be a good opportunity to remove any pups it might be growing.

Edited by utee94

I'll be honest.....I didn't think anything could kill prickly pear.  But as I drive around and see the carnage....I was clearly wrong.  They all look to be toast.  Like....all of them.  It's going to be fascinating next hunting season to be in a landscape where all the prickly pear is dead, and has to start over.
I'm also wondering how many trees are going to die.  Oaks etc. -- big natives -- should make it.  But I think a lot of ornamentals and invasives will die.  Cedars, of course, other than broken limbs from the weight of the snow, ARE FUCKING FINE.  NOTHING CAN KILL THEM.  EVIL NEVER DIES.
Some of my prickly pears look like they made it. No rhyme or reason that I can figure out as to which ones melted into jello and which didn't.

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

we had two giant fan palms around the water feature in our pool... they were HUGE, easily 20+ feet tall in the center...nothing but stumps now 🙁

That sucks.  We have three large, mature Mexican fan palms around our pool and they all seem to be okay.

• Hook 'Em 1

My parents in BFE East Texas never lost power or water cause they’re in the LA shared grid. They lose power on 70 degree April days sometimes since all lines are through dense pine trees. Sharing works. 
Where abouts? My in-laws lost power in San Augustine for a few days.

39 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
On 2/25/2021 at 3:57 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

Where abouts? My in-laws lost power in San Augustine for a few days.

Outside Longview  the Nac/SA issue was damage from the ice - Longview and n/e got mostly all snow and sleet and little freezing rain so no physical infrastructure issue  

4 hours ago, hornian said:

This is the pile of Live Oak leaves that have been shed since Friday.  About 1/4 of the tree (fairly normal) and every time the breeze does anything another bundle drops.   This sumbitch is gonna fully shed this year.   That doesn’t happen all that often.  

the pile is about 30 feet long and 15 or so feet wide at the middle, and about 18 inches or so deep.    Now we break out the lawnmower 

29535255-789A-49D9-8936-5C401D843544.jpeg

Planted 6 Xylosma tree/shrubs that was supposed to grow into a privacy hedge a year and a half ago.  They were about to take off and do the job but are now toast. Sucks...about $700 and 2 yrs down the drain.  The plants are in the Austin plant buying guide and hardy to 10F.  I guess we went below 10F.

Most of our plants look like shit same as everyone else. I'm thinking/hoping all the trees and most of the shrubs will be okay. We had a whole row of bottle brushes that really took off this year and attracted a ton of honey bees and hummingbirds. Really hope those make it, but they look like they're toast. Planted some Texas sage a few months back and they look to be fine. Lime tree is probably fucked.

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm going to be planting some citrus trees in planters made of bourbon barrels chopped in half this spring. I decided I'm going to put them on casters so I can roll them inside for hard freezes in the future.

We just planted some citrus trees in planters before the freeze and did exactly that. When you bring em in, be sure to put down something to catch the water coming out of the soil - we used our weather tech mats out of our cars and they they had a good quarter inch of water in em 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Planted 6 Xylosma tree/shrubs that was supposed to grow into a privacy hedge a year and a half ago.  They were about to take off and do the job but are now toast. Sucks...about $700 and 2 yrs down the drain.  The plants are in the Austin plant buying guide and hardy to 10F.  I guess we went below 10F.

My 25 year old wax leaf ligustrum hedge in the back yard ain’t looking so good and has started dropping leaves like the oaks out front since this pic was taken a week ago.

DE37F40B-A1B5-4123-A9F1-AA4B5885E2CF.jpeg

931A710D-8F11-4479-BD90-FDCBA2D2C4DD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I had one hackberry nearly fall on my neighbor's house over the summer.  Went ahead and took down 3 more that didn't have long.  Now my backyard just roasts in the summer but they needed to come down.

I hate hackberry trees.  

Edited by Post Oak

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

I had one hackberry nearly fall on my neighbor's house over the summer.  Went ahead and took down 3 more.  Now my backyard just roasts in the summer but the needed to come down.

I hate hackberry trees.  

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

I have two 30 foot and a 15 foot Mexican Palms, a Mountain Laurel and a Kumquat tree that all look like they are dead.  We will see.  Those palms really tied the yard together. 

The Mountain Laurel is probably not dead and just has leaf burn...  The Palms are going to be hit and miss all over the place.    The best you can do is trim them back and see if any green emerges.   If not, they will rot pretty quickly and if they are close to your home you have a danger of one of them falling on to your house.  Or at the very least, becoming a home base for insects.

• Rage+1 1

Hackberries are good shade trees, but they are worthless.  They'll snap if you look at them wrong.  Those berries stain patios like a mo-fo.  and they suck up all the water around them leaving nothing for the surrounding trees except what lands on them directly.  

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Landscaper service trimmed said oaks Saturday...

662F84BE-A936-4E10-B728-D2B17BA474CC.jpeg

Thank God for lawnmower with leaf catchers.   I went over my brown yard just to bag the Live Oak leaves and stopped 20 or so times to empty the bag.  Normally they lose their leaves in March into April and produce the yellow pollen crap that gets all over your car, house, etc.   I guess we get to do this early this year?   

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Hackberries are good shade trees, but they are worthless.  They'll snap if you look at them wrong.  Those berries stain patios like a mo-fo.  and they suck up all the water around them leaving nothing for the surrounding trees except what lands on them directly.  

Yes they are.   And they are fricken hard to kill even if you cut them down to a stump and remove it.  It's off springs often pop up as little seedlings.  If they are in your lawn, easy to take care of with regular mowing.  But if they are in another part of the yard where you might not pay attention to that often like around a fence line, if one of those seedling takes off, it's a constant battle with some pruning sheers to knock it back down.  I used to poor gas on them to kill the seedling and that didn't work.

our backyard is normally pool, pool decking, rock and grass... this weekend you cannot tell where one section ends and the next begins...the mature live oak is shedding every single leaf. i'm talking foot-high drifts of leaves.  the wind blew and it looked like it was snowing leaves. we had to sweep/rake a path for our miniature dachshund to even get to the yard! the piles are easily 3x her height.

we're just hoping it's not dead. surely not! 😕

Yep, thankfully our big one that I finally took down about 6 years ago is in a tree "bed/island" in the back, so a big chunk of its root structure was actually above the soil surface of most of the backyard.  So every few months, I dry out what's left of the system with diesel...then just hack the shit out of it with a pickaxe.  I think it's finally deader than dead but damn if the root system won't just shrivel up and die.  And of course, where it's rotting on the underside of the old stump 'n main root, proved to be a little safe haven for all kinds of fun critters.  I'd torch the whole fucking thing but for the fact that three really nice oaks use that same tree-bed/island as their home and they've all taken off nicely since the hackberry left town.  

What is truly another Tailgate mishap...

I was in Kohler, Wisconsin two years ago picking out a bunch of stuff for the house as my buddy got hooked up there as an EVP (Kohler) and invited me up.

After getting toilets that open when you walk by and give you BJs....the rep goes...”you need a generator.”

I was like “wtf” “we never lose power for more than a few minutes....we don’t need one.” Even though at that time it was either free or 60% off.

Yeah...I’m not the brightest star in the sky.

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Blower with a vacuum attachment?   

No, just blow it across the driveway to the grass side yard then pick it up with th the mower & grass catcher.

of course it doesn’’t get all the tree crap out, but still looks good.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My front yard is xeriscaped with gravel and normally looks like this below. It isn’t difficult to blow out the usual tree sticks & leaves that fall in normal times, but this next cleanup will be a PITA.

2ED0A48A-526D-4A39-B829-B3587F0DA226.jpeg

Well just invite the neighborhood kids over, hire them to clean it up, and then yell at them to get off your damn rocks, I mean yard. 

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Thank God for lawnmower with leaf catchers.   I went over my brown yard just to bag the Live Oak leaves and stopped 20 or so times to empty the bag.  Normally they lose their leaves in March into April and produce the yellow pollen crap that gets all over your car, house, etc.   I guess we get to do this early this year?   

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Landscaper service trimmed said oaks Saturday...

662F84BE-A936-4E10-B728-D2B17BA474CC.jpeg

Those shingle don't look like "Painted Desert" to me.

Are you seeing other Roofing Contractors on the downlow?