Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He’s the same size as Hudson Card AFTER Card graduated HS and has spent at least a few months under yancy and a college nutrition program. I believe card was 175 during his senior season. Doomed, clearly. 

Card’s already put on 20 lbs.?

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Someone needs to start a Twitter account and just publicly shame all the grown ass men that tweet at high school kids. 

Greg Bergeron is already recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s biggest twat so it’s not like he’s sliding under the radar

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Greg Bergeron is already recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s biggest twat so it’s not like he’s sliding under the radar

Greg is a 36 year old loan officer at Envoy Mortgage who like to Tweet at 16 year old boys.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Viper said:

Someone needs to start a Twitter account and just publicly shame all the grown ass men that tweet at high school kids. 

I mean, he literally goes by AggieGreg. What more do you expect? 

11 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Greg is a 36 year old loan officer at Envoy Mortgage who like to Tweet at 16 year old boys.

Obviously my first guess would’ve been insurance sales but loan officer seems like a close second. 

On 8/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, tokamak said:

Could someone set up the board for those of us that haven’t really fucked with 2022 recruiting yet but were brought here by Ewers?

On 8/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Best qb in the 2020-2022 classes, a top 5 ranked recruit in the modern era of recruiting. VY, Jadeveon Clowney, etc. 

Sorry, let me clarify that a little bit. I meant laying out the top targets at each position. Ewers brought me to this thread for the first time (I think?) but it's already 40+ pages in and there's lot of names flying by. I suspect there are others in the same boat.

Here's my wild guesses, just based on a reading back a few pages and the 247 offer list. Lots of this could be way wrong.

QB - Obviously Ewers and done here.

RB - 4* Jaydon Blue seems to be everyone's 1st choice here. Seen some pro-Texas Tweets from him post-Ewers. 4* Tavorus Jones also appears to be very pro-Texas on Twitter.

WR - Seems like a huge year for WR from what I can tell. Already have 4* Phaizon Wilson committed.  5* Caleb Burton is being recruited by everyone in the universe, we're in it but not leading. Looking better for 5* Evan Stewart and 4* Armani Winfield.

TE - 4* Donovan Green is our only offer right now. No clue beyond that.

OL - We're looking good for 5* Devon Campbell. Aggy leads for 4* Kam Dewberry. No clue on 4* Kelvin Banks and 4* Jaylen Early.

DL - 5* DE Malick Sylla is the top rated guy in Texas but I haven't seen much on him. Lots of positive stuff regarding 4* DE Omari Abor. 4* Bear Alexander seems like the DT everyone is after.

LB - Not seeing much here. 4* Harold Perkins was Tweeting at Ewers.

DB - 5* CB Denver Harris seems like the big prize in state. Positive Twitter stuff from 4* CB Jaylon Guilbeau. 5* S Kamari Wilson out of IMG has been tweeting a bunch of Texas stuff but no one knows if he's trolling or for real. More realistic might be 4* S Chace Biddle.

That's all I got so far. At first look, seems like a very strong year for talent in the state. If we get some wind in our sails from a good season and Ewers, we could feast.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Sorry, let me clarify that a little bit. I meant laying out the top targets at each position. Ewers brought me to this thread for the first time (I think?) but it's already 40+ pages in and there's lot of names flying by. I suspect there are others in the same boat.

Here's my wild guesses, just based on a reading back a few pages and the 247 offer list. Lots of this could be way wrong.

QB - Obviously Ewers and done here.

RB - 4* Jaydon Blue seems to be everyone's 1st choice here. Seen some pro-Texas Tweets from him post-Ewers. 4* Tavorus Jones also appears to be very pro-Texas on Twitter.

WR - Seems like a huge year for WR from what I can tell. Already have 4* Phaizon Wilson committed.  5* Caleb Burton is being recruited by everyone in the universe, we're in it but not leading. Looking better for 5* Evan Stewart and 4* Armani Winfield.

TE - 4* Donovan Green is our only offer right now. No clue beyond that.

OL - We're looking good for 5* Devon Campbell. Aggy leads for 4* Kam Dewberry. No clue on 4* Kelvin Banks and 4* Jaylen Early.

DL - 5* DE Malick Sylla is the top rated guy in Texas but I haven't seen much on him. Lots of positive stuff regarding 4* DE Omari Abor. 4* Bear Alexander seems like the DT everyone is after.

LB - Not seeing much here. 4* Harold Perkins was Tweeting at Ewers.

DB - 5* CB Denver Harris seems like the big prize in state. Positive Twitter stuff from 4* CB Jaylon Guilbeau. 5* S Kamari Wilson out of IMG has been tweeting a bunch of Texas stuff but no one knows if he's trolling or for real. More realistic might be 4* S Chace Biddle.

That's all I got so far. At first look, seems like a very strong year for talent in the state. If we get some wind in our sails from a good season and Ewers, we could feast.

Hullaby's little bro is also a 4 star DB.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:28 PM, canadianhorn21 said:

Just listened to the OB podcast and fat Ketch thinks Ewers is a top 75 guy in the nation who might have questionable arm strengh hahahahahahaha

No one likes telling the world how big of a moron they are than Ketch.

No one would take the opportunity to shit on the biggest recruit Texas has gotten since VY other than those idiots at OB

Let me say this loud enough for those in the back to hear: Fuck Ketch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Donovan Green seems interested in catching passes from Ewers, perhaps he'll be the first TE to actually have a significant role in the offense since ummmmm......Jermichael Finley? It's been an eternity since a TE had any kind of impact with the offense.

18 minutes ago, Chad said:

Donovan Green seems interested in catching passes from Ewers, perhaps he'll be the first TE to actually have a significant role in the offense since ummmmm......Jermichael Finley? It's been an eternity since a TE had any kind of impact with the offense.

Did he though?

76 receptions for 947 yards and 5 tds

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets

Spoiler

The Stampede: Tons of 2021 and 2022 recruiting nuggets
MIKE ROACH

What a week it was for the Texas Longhorns. After suffering through some big time ups and downs this year, the Longhorns landed a massive win with the commitment of 2022 No. 1 overall prospect Quinn Ewers.

Now Texas moves forward with a new lease on life in recruiting. The staff is trying to capitalize on this newfound momentum, and the news sent shockwaves through the recruiting world. Over the weekend, I spoke with several sources and recruits to get a gauge on what the 2022 class could look like.

The 2021 class is still rolling on, and we’ve got updates on several targets for the Longhorns as the staff tries to finish out the class in progress. Can the Longhorns reel in the rest of their targets and add some more elite players to this class?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down the 2022 class with a heat check on several prospects and update some key targets in the 2021 group for the Longhorns.

Shortly before Quinn Ewers made his commitment last week, I started to hear buzz that Camar Wheaton could do the same. I began digging into the rumor and there were times where I felt the information had legs.

Ultimately, I was told by a key source near Camar that he was not planning to pull the trigger at the time, but the buzz around Texas keeps growing for the five-star back. I expect him to make it to Norman this weekend for an unofficial visit Oklahoma commits have arranged called the “Sooner Summit.”

Camar Wheaton (Photo: Texas Football, 247Sports)

I’ve said multiple times that I think this race is just about dead even between Texas and Oklahoma with each school taking turns grabbing the edge. Currently, I think the Longhorns have the slight edge, but there’s nothing that suggests it won’t swing back the other way.

Regardless, I think Texas is gaining ground just about every day for the five-star Garland Lakeview Centennial running back. I also think the Longhorns appear to be in the lead for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. I know that sources in Austin certainly feel confident about the job they are doing with both backs.

I wrote last week about the impact assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris is making, and he pulled a pretty cool move to get Leonard Fournette on a facetime with Wheaton to endorse his former teammate. Usual Camar rules apply here. Nobody truly knows what he’s thinking, but don’t rule out another trip to Austin like the one he’s taking to Norman this weekend.

+++

Two weeks ago, I felt extremely confident that 2021 Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson would be one of the next members of this class.  After visiting Texas for a self-guided tour, there was substantial buzz around the Longhorns.  I previously had Jackson predicted to Arkansas on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

Since Jackson made the trip to Austin, Arkansas turned up the heat on the four-star wide receiver utilizing their long relationship with him and some pressure from fellow Arkansas commits. 

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

That development is making this race tough and the pendulum is slowly swinging back towards the Razorbacks. 

Those close to Jackson are pushing Texas as the best opportunity for his future, but Jackson does feel loyalty to a staff that has been recruiting him for quite a while.  We are checking with sources to see if there is any movement since Ewers made his commitment.  We'll check throughout the week to see where things are settling.

+++

On Friday, news started to leak early in the day that Quinn Ewers would be picking Texas. Rumors buzzed around recruiting circles and my phone was busy all day with coaches and recruits calling to find out if it was real.

While I couldn’t let the cat out of the bag, I did ask these prospects and coaches what it would do for Texas if it were to happen. I also followed up with most of them after the fact to talk some more. One 7v7 coach told me they thought it would change the landscape in 2022 and make Texas a big contender for a number of elite prospects.

With that, here are a few 2022 notes I picked up over the weekend.

—One of the most common themes I heard from sources I spoke with both in Austin and around the state is that receivers better hurry to book their place in the class. Not only did the top pass catchers from around the state take notice, but I was told that several top receivers from around the country also indicated new interest. It will be interesting to see if any new offers to elite prospects in the next week or two, but one source told me that, “Coach Coleman’s job just got a lot easier.”

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

—Even before Ewers committed, I was hearing strong buzz on Klein Cain running back Jaydon Blue. His recruitment has been all over the place. Texas seemed to have some early momentum, but LSU surged after making the offer. In fact, in the last few months, it felt like the Tigers were opening up a big lead. In the last two weeks I felt that Texas was re-gaining the edge in his recruitment. On top of all of that, I heard that Blue had a very strong reaction when Ewers committed. If Texas can add Blue or some of the other big-time playmakers in the 2022 class early, the momentum can get rolling in an unstoppable way.

—While I don’t think it will directly be the cause of a decision, several offensive linemen took notice of the commitment. Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry was one of those prospects. Dewberry is an incredibly sharp kid, and he keeps strong tabs on recruiting to know what players are going where. This commitment should make Herb Hand’s job a bit easier as well, and I wonder if he will become more aggressive in his recruiting style with that behind him.

—Brenen Thompson and Evan Stewart were two names I was told about when asking around about who mentioned Ewers as a positive. Neither prospect knows Ewers personally, but they obviously know of his reputation and skill. Thompson and Stewart are probably the two fastest prospects in the state in the class of 2022, and both would provide electric athleticism for Texas.

—No prospect I spoke with was more excited than Phaizon Wilson. The 2022 Lancaster wide receiver became the first player to commit to Texas in 2022, and his reaction to Texas landing Ewers was that of great excitement. Wilson immediately went on the offensive reaching out to several big-name 2022 prospects to do some recruiting.

(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

—The most interesting thing I heard following the Ewers commitment was the rush of defensive players who upped their interest in the Longhorns. In fact, I feel that Texas could receive another commitment or two within the month, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it came on the defensive side of the ball.

—There’s been some buzz this weekend around Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy five-star safety Kamari Wilson. Nothing has happened with him and Texas yet, but the there’s some real buzz to be excited about if you are a Texas fan. As I’ve written in the past few updates I did with Wilson, Texas made a huge impact in this recruitment, and the Longhorns were already making waves with Wilson prior to the Ewers commitment. Friday’s news did nothing to slow that momentum down, and Ewers and Wilson were already contact with him over the weekend. I’m usually skeptical of out of state players, but I thought there was legitimate reason for optimism before on Wilson and I think that even more so now. In fact, I went back and forth on whether to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas but decided to play a bit more conservative.

—Two other names I heard when asking around in different circles were Texas cornerback targets Jaylon Guilbeau and Denver Harris. I believe that Jay Valai was already doing a strong job in those recruitments, but there was more excitement over the weekend. I believe Guilbeau has been close to pulling the trigger several times, and Harris could have a Ewers type of impact recruiting on the defensive side of the ball.

—Horns247 spoke with defensive studs Omari Abor and Harold Perkins over the weekend as well. Both prospects indicated that the Ewers commitment caught their attention. Abor in particular seemed to be very impressed and indicated to Nick that he’s high on Texas. Nick will have updates with both this week.

—It will be interesting to see If Ewers’ commitment can help snag a 2021 star. Ewers will undoubtedly be added to the pitch for Aledo wide receiver and LSU commit JoJo Earle. The Longhorns are still in contact with Earle, and I’m told they talk often. Right now, there’s optimism in the fact that Earle is responsive and frequently communicates with the Texas staff. While it doesn’t seem anything is imminent, Texas is working on chipping away at that recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 5

(Mike Farrell) Fact or Fiction: Texas just landed its best QB since Vince Young

National recruiting director Mike Farrell and national recruiting analyst Adam Gorney tackle three topics daily and determine whether they believe the statements or not.

1. Quinn Ewers is the best QB Texas has had committed since Vince Young.

Farrell’s take: FACT. On paper, at least, Quinn Ewers is the best quarterback the Longhorns have landed since Vince Young signed in 2002. Ewers isn’t Vince Young, so let’s get that clear. He has a slightly irregular release and he’s not nearly the athlete that Young was. However, Ewers' accuracy is exceptional whether in the pocket or on the run and he can extend the play. Garrett Gilbert was a five-star in 2009 and was supposed to be great, but he was more of a project than Ewers.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Let’s not forget about Sam Ehlinger, because while his rating was not as high, he’s been outstanding at Texas and should be in this discussion as well. I also want to caution against using terms like “the next Trevor Lawrence” or “generational talent” as well, because those words are thrown out every recruiting cycle and it can lead to unrealistic expectations. But Ewers is really talented. He will continue to develop into his frame and for someone who’s on the lean side he can zip passes, put touch on them, keep plays alive with his legs and do everything elite quarterbacks do. It’s a massive recruiting win for Tom Herman and Ewers could be something special in the coming years.

2. Justin Fields’ petition will work.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. The Ohio State quarterback started a petition this weekend to try to overturn the Big Ten decision to push the season back to the spring. And it’s getting a ton of traction. But I don’t see it working. While it’s an amazing effort by Justin Fields, I can’t see the Big Ten walking this decision back. If they are going to die on the shield of player safety, then a petition won’t work. Some miracle would have to occur between now and late September for the league to reverse its decision.

Gorney’s take: FICTION. If Fields’ petition works, then I have to question Kevin Warren’s leadership even more at the Big Ten after the conference talked so much about the uncertainty around the coronavirus pandemic as one of the reasons why it decided to push fall sports to an uncertain spring season. I applaud the Ohio State quarterback’s efforts and it’s telling that more than 215,000 people signed it as of Monday morning, but a conference commissioner cannot be guided by the whims of the masses if he feels what he did last week was the correct call. I don’t believe it was the right decision, but Warren does and he calls the shots. Liability issues are a major concern here and that has not changed because of Fields’ petition and the public backlash from all sides.

3. Oklahoma's COVID outbreak will hinder the Big 12’s attempt to play.

Farrell’s take: FICTION. The Sooners had nine players recently test positive for COVID-19, leading many to wonder if this would be a sign for the Big 12 to shut it down. My answer is no. In making the decision to move forward after the Big Ten and Pac-12 waived the white flag last week, the Big 12, SEC and ACC have the opposite attitude. The feeling from sources is that COVID-19 is here to stay and you either run from it or adapt to it and positive tests are surely coming. I can’t see much stopping the resolve of these conferences barring mass outbreaks at numerous schools.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Here’s what concerns me: The headline out of Oklahoma about a surge in cases surrounding the football players; a headline out of Notre Dame about a surge in cases once students returned to campus; a viral video circulating this weekend at Oklahoma State about a nightclub or bar filled with people dancing. Four outbreaks have been reported at North Carolina. Over the next few weeks, thousands more college kids will be heading back to campus and the stories will be predictable about spikes in certain places. I understand that the Big 12, SEC and ACC are doing their level best to keep going and to play a season - and it could be a huge embarrassment to the Big Ten and Pac-12 if those other conferences can accomplish an entire season while keeping players healthy - but the headline risk looms large here. And the news out of Oklahoma is not positive, so it could start to stoke questions about the decision to move forward.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Did he though?

76 receptions for 947 yards and 5 tds

Finley played two seasons as an under class man, that's more than all of his predecessors have compiled in their careers. He broke school records for Tight Ends, the game against Oklahoma where Finley racked up 150 yards is more than the majority of these other spares have compiled during a season.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting