Thoughts on the new Texas Constitutional Carry?

Armybrat

Now that it will go forward in Texas as soon as it is signed, those of you who are concealed handgun license carriers, do you intend to renew your LTC?
Personally, I’ll renew mine because of the convenience.

And what, if anything, will this law do to change anything in the state? I think we will see a few idiots strutting around carrying openly like the Chipotle Rambos, but overall no one will notice much of anything.

Of course we will see a few more eligible citizens start packing on their persons instead of leaving it at home or vehicle.. Plus we will see some signage changes on businesses that will include unlicensed carriers. A minor PITA for the owners to switch.

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

And what, if anything, will this law do to change anything in the state? I think we will see a few idiots strutting around carrying openly like the Chipotle Rambos, but overall no one will notice much of anything.

There will be a few idiots who refused to get a CHL in the past, who will open carry, but the state has plenty who lack common sense (otherwise Tech and Aggy wouldn't be thriving).

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Of course we will see a few more eligible citizens start packing on their persons instead of leaving it at home or vehicle.

I doubt it.  Most people (again, with common sense) who wanted to carry, had already went through the simple procedures to do so.

My CHL expired a long time ago, but I have no desire to renew or to take advantage of this.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Open carry is like wearing a “shoot me first” sign. 

Or a "Hey, cops already thinking they are an occupying force, let me ramp up the tension if I get pulled over!" sign.

I would be surprised if any of us see more than a few people taking advantage of this.

I'll renew my CHL. I don't think we'll notice any difference whatsoever after the law passes. 

Kinda like spurs. You some guys wearing them, but they're pulling a horse trailer and actually need them. Then ever so often, you see some dude wearing them trying to be a badass or is dressed up like a cowboy Village People style.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

^
Good points, Brothahorn.

About 25 mass shootings in Texas have occurred in the last 55 years.  Only one time has a carrying citizen stopped one of them.  Every other time, a good guy with a gun has never risen to the occasion.  But if it's your constitutional right, it's your right.  Carry on...

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^
Good points, Brothahorn.

About 25 mass shootings in Texas have occurred in the last 55 years.  Only one time has a carrying citizen stopped one of them.  Every other time, a good guy with a gun has never risen to the occasion.  But if it's your constitutional right, it's your right.  Carry on...

Maybe cause they couldn't?

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Every Texas citizen was unable to legally carry in car/person for the last 25 mass shootings because of this one incident?  I didn't realize that.  

Guest Lobo

You said "they"...that means plural.  If you had said, "she/her"...I would have considered it a singular instance.  Unless you're being clever and using "they" in the singular non-gender specific case (them/they)...but somehow I highly doubt that.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

You said "they"...that means plural.  If you had said, "she/her"...I would have considered it a singular instance.  Unless you're being clever and using "they" in the singular non-gender specific case (them/they)...but somehow I highly doubt that.  

I'm saying that the times there was mass shootings, they may not had their gun on hand because it was illegal to have one like the woman in the video. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Fair point.  I guess we gotta look at which points in history myriad laws were enacted/repealed to allow for folks to have had weapons at the ready.  Going back 55 years..............open carry pistol, open carry rifle, concealed carry, carry in the vehicle, etc.  Lots of shootings.  Lots of nuance.  Lots of dead people.  Not lots of heroes.  

Guest Lobo

Stefon/ "It's like that thing where you order the Carnitas Salad in between shifts.  And then you get so loudly ill in their restroom with anal fissures, eventually the manager comes in to see if you're okay...and you can only scream at the violated porcelain, 'You drew first blood dammit...you drew first blood'!"  

Guest Lobo

It’s funny because they’re badass patriots looking to protect people from those that would take our guacs.  I mean, guns.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

^
Good points, Brothahorn.

I thought Whitman was slowed by people shooting back.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

dumb and dumber GIF

Grizzlies attack people while they defecate.  ~Old Frontier Wisdom. 

Best defense: Dog: Reliable, friendly, and happy, but one who retains some of its primary instincts. The dog can loiter and intimidate periodically while I catch my breath and reload. They understand the situation. It's Natural Law. 

I want someone to define constitutional carry in this instance for me. How does this change anything at all? Can't people who want to carry guns already do that? Is this purely the concealed side of things that is changing? So now people can concealed carry without a class and proving they can aim in a basic sense? 

I don't like being around people who are concealed carrying or really open carrying in social settings. I don't mind having a handgun out or knowing there is one around within reaching distance, but I've never understood the whole I feel safer because I have a weapon designed specifically to kill other humans on me. 

I own lots of guns, but I don't own a single pistol, I have shot thousands of rounds through pistols at the range, on leases, etc. I can honestly not think of anything any caliber pistol is good for except killing other humans at a short range or recreationally target shooting. 

In the event that some shit goes down, at what point are you drawing your pistol? Because I was taught and am a 100% believer in don't point your gun at anything you don't want dead. If I'm drawing someone is dying, full stop. I would need to feel like my life or someone I was with and knew their situation was unquestionably at risk. 

Pistol vs AR-15 or another good medium-long range weapon is going to lose unless you pull a sneak attack or have significant amounts of time beyond what a CHL calls for at a range. No one hero shots from 45 yards except LEO and highly trained competitive shooters. 

Why would having a gun on you make you feel safer? Because if makes everyone else less safe? Because you can at any point decide that if you wanted anything around you in a 15 yard (if you are a good shot) would be dead? I totally understand traveling with one. Having one under the counter when your job is to interact with the general public and protect the money or valuables with open access etc etc. 

I think some of you need to answer this question for yourselves and then you will understand why most people don't change their behavior at all because of this. If you are concealed carrying I don't wanna fucking know about itand if you tell me I will likely leave. If you are open carrying I'm leaving and going somewhere else. Simple as that. I don't wanna be around guns in public because public isn't a place for guns. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Fair point.  I guess we gotta look at which points in history myriad laws were enacted/repealed to allow for folks to have had weapons at the ready.  Going back 55 years..............open carry pistol, open carry rifle, concealed carry, carry in the vehicle, etc.  Lots of shootings.  Lots of nuance.  Lots of dead people.  Not lots of heroes.  

So some of you doubters actually think the carriers are doing so just because of the occasional random mass shooter? Really?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I want someone to define constitutional carry in this instance for me. How does this change anything at all? Can't people who want to carry guns already do that? Is this purely the concealed side of things that is changing? So now people can concealed carry without a class and proving they can aim in a basic sense? 

I don't like being around people who are concealed carrying or really open carrying in social settings. I don't mind having a handgun out or knowing there is one around within reaching distance, but I've never understood the whole I feel safer because I have a weapon designed specifically to kill other humans on me. 

I own lots of guns, but I don't own a single pistol, I have shot thousands of rounds through pistols at the range, on leases, etc. I can honestly not think of anything any caliber pistol is good for except killing other humans at a short range or recreationally target shooting. 

In the event that some shit goes down, at what point are you drawing your pistol? Because I was taught and am a 100% believer in don't point your gun at anything you don't want dead. If I'm drawing someone is dying, full stop. I would need to feel like my life or someone I was with and knew their situation was unquestionably at risk. 

Pistol vs AR-15 or another good medium-long range weapon is going to lose unless you pull a sneak attack or have significant amounts of time beyond what a CHL calls for at a range. No one hero shots from 45 yards except LEO and highly trained competitive shooters. 

Why would having a gun on you make you feel safer? Because if makes everyone else less safe? Because you can at any point decide that if you wanted anything around you in a 15 yard (if you are a good shot) would be dead? I totally understand traveling with one. Having one under the counter when your job is to interact with the general public and protect the money or valuables with open access etc etc. 

I think some of you need to answer this question for yourselves and then you will understand why most people don't change their behavior at all because of this. If you are concealed carrying I don't wanna fucking know about itand if you tell me I will likely leave. If you are open carrying I'm leaving and going somewhere else. Simple as that. I don't wanna be around guns in public because public isn't a place for guns. 

That is only your opinion which works for you.

Others believe in being prepared for unpleasant events like house fires, auto accidents, muggings, rapists, car jackings, etc. Hence utilizing personal safety & prevention measures. There’s no chest-beating about it IMO.

And yes, I know people who wanted to carry but refused to pay the government a fee for permission to exercise their right to self defense away from their home.or vehicle. No different really than citizens who believed that having to pay a poll tax to vote was unconstitutional.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I don’t want to live in a world where you need to carry a gun to feel safe. My little contribution to creating the world I want to live in is that I won’t ever carry a gun for personal protection.  I’ll rely on statistics to make me feel safe.   And if it just so happens that my number’s up, then it’s up.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Others believe in being prepared for unpleasant events like house fires, auto accidents, muggings, rapists, car jackings, etc. Hence utilizing personal safety & prevention measures. There’s no chest-beating about it IMO.

And yes, I know people who wanted to carry but refused to pay the government a fee for permission to exercise their right to self defense away from their home.or vehicle. No different really than citizens who believed that having to pay a poll tax to vote was unconstitutional.

Those people are lazy and stupid. Fuck them. You don't just take a weapon designed to take life from others just because you want to and the burden of paying some money and getting/ensuring you know how to use said weapon in a basic fashion is so low it's comical that you are defending it. 

It's not only my opinion, it's the opinion of millions of Texans, more Texans than think that unlicensed conceal carry is a great idea. You are part of the minority here and everywhere in Texas where this was thought to be a problem. 

So how does a handgun help you in an auto accident or a house fire? I'm really curious to know what kind of super powers having a handgun gives you in those situations. Is it so you can shoot at the flames? Is it so you can shoot the people escaping from the fire? Please let me know.

Muggings, rapists, car jackings are all things that result in death of the assailant with a gun. I'm not defending any of these crimes, but if that is happening sans weapon, you think that is judge dredd style you get to execute this person? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to protect yourself, but have you ever been maced? Makes those things pretty fucking hard. The car jacking one also doesn't really make sense in my argument since I said I understand the justification of keeping a gun while traveling, car is extension of home.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just think your argument is absurd and weak. The anecdotal evidence you provided was likewise pretty bogus and more about "feelings" than actual proof that this has a meaningful impact on the safety of anyone.

I think the law is pointless and I don't think it makes anyone safer or less safe. It's just official that in Texas anyone can legally have a gun, unless prohibited by private places, which will probably be more and more the case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s fine for you and should be respected.

Anyway, as of July, 2020, there were over 1,520,000 carry license holders in Texas. In 2020 about 479,000 licenses (new & renewals) were issued. Of those, 30% were issued to women. In view of the rising & dramatic social unrest and recent reversal of the decades long homicide decline, the desire of millions of law-abiding citizens to have an effective means of self defense is not surprising at all. Mass random shootings have little to do with it.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/rsd/ltc/reports/2020calendar/byrace_sex/1licenseapplicationsissued.pdf

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Armybrat said:

This. I also know plenty of people that are more knowledgeable and safer with firearms without an LTC than those with one. The education part falls flat for me; especially when it’s limited to a 4 hour online PowerPoint with one shooting.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Those people are lazy and stupid. Fuck them. You don't just take a weapon designed to take life from others just because you want to and the burden of paying some money and getting/ensuring you know how to use said weapon in a basic fashion is so low it's comical that you are defending it. 

It's not only my opinion, it's the opinion of millions of Texans, more Texans than think that unlicensed conceal carry is a great idea. You are part of the minority here and everywhere in Texas where this was thought to be a problem. 

So how does a handgun help you in an auto accident or a house fire? I'm really curious to know what kind of super powers having a handgun gives you in those situations. Is it so you can shoot at the flames? Is it so you can shoot the people escaping from the fire? Please let me know.

Muggings, rapists, car jackings are all things that result in death of the assailant with a gun. I'm not defending any of these crimes, but if that is happening sans weapon, you think that is judge dredd style you get to execute this person? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to protect yourself, but have you ever been maced? Makes those things pretty fucking hard. The car jacking one also doesn't really make sense in my argument since I said I understand the justification of keeping a gun while traveling, car is extension of home.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just think your argument is absurd and weak. The anecdotal evidence you provided was likewise pretty bogus and more about "feelings" than actual proof that this has a meaningful impact on the safety of anyone.

I think the law is pointless and I don't think it makes anyone safer or less safe. It's just official that in Texas anyone can legally have a gun, unless prohibited by private places, which will probably be more and more the case. 

I think your stubbornness is not particularly rational, especially when you repeat the nonsensical “anyone”. That is just plain false.

Law-abiding citizen’s should have the right to determine their own means of self defense, not the government. It is a natural right.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I think your stubbornness is not particularly rational, especially when you repeat the nonsensical “anyone”. That is just plain false.

Law-abiding citizen’s should have the right to determine their own means of self defense, not the government. It is a natural right.

Except in privately owned establishments* 

Except in public buildings where only officials carry* 

Lol, "nonsensical" gun gonna protect me during a house fire or car accident. Yep totally makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Muggings, rapists, car jackings are all things that result in death of the assailant with a gun. I'm not defending any of these crimes, but if that is happening sans weapon, you think that is judge dredd style you get to execute this person? I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to protect yourself, but have you ever been maced? Makes those things pretty fucking hard.

I think we would be better off if rapists assumed they can be shot dead on-site no questions asked if caught in the act. Fuck around and find out something something.

And yea if someone is trying to rape my daughter/wife/sister, I pray someone walks up and executes the motherfucker so I don’t have to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Who here has had to draw your pistol to protect yourself?  Concealed, OC or otherwise? 

Not looking for bad-ass shot out  stories.  Has anyone?  Did you torch off a shot?  Was the mere display of a pistol sufficient for causing the threat to back down?

I don’t have a CHL anymore as it has lapsed and the CD extended to vehicles.  I keep a pistol with me in my truck when going to and from my deer camp and on me at all times while at camp.  

When I did have a CHL I actually needed a pistol twice.  Both times I was approached by individuals with bad intent and each instance was related to Houston hurricane mass hysteria.  No shots were fired and the pistol wasn’t pointed at anyone.  The mere fact that they saw I was armed gave them pause to find better things to do.  

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Lol, "nonsensical" gun gonna protect me during a house fire or car accident. Yep totally makes sense. 

I thought he was talking about “being prepared” in a general sense for all those things, with a gun for some of them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Is it being called “Constitutional” carry so the people against it get called out? It’s permitless carry. Just say you want to carry without regulation or licensing and stop hiding behind the constitution. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Except in privately owned establishments* 

Except in public buildings where only officials carry* 

That sure went whoosh over your head.... 

The gun carry thing is just another means of protection, just like seatbelts, smoke alarms & fire extinguishers. 
Anyway, what would you prefer to have in your hand if a mugger was about to cut your throat, a cellphone or a pistol?

I know what my brother in law would have preferred before he was murdered. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2