Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

Have to laugh about Tunmise. I would say he’s going strictly SEC. it will be between Florida, Alabama or aggy. At this point I don’t care where he goes. I don’t think he’s as good as what we have or what we are getting. I did hear that he’s coming back to Katy for his senior year. Wonder how they will accept him after all the shit he talked about IMG.  

Looks like Florida based on his recent twitter follows.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

giphy.gif

image.thumb.png.a9027184e499f83497504d4cc8243799.png

Funny enough, while Roach has no info, he's not really one to build up a big flip rumor, so it seems likely it's actually be a pretty big time recruit.  The Donovan Jackson guess seems really good since he fits TFB's description of a name we haven't heard in a while and decommitting due to the Big Ten cancelling could make sense from a timing standpoint. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fong

Spoiler

Tom Herman and the Longhorns look like the one to beat now for a coveted target.

Flipped my Crystal Ball from Texas A&M to Texas regarding Top247 running back LJ Johnson after talking to a couple sources with knowledge of the recruitment.

My forecast is in unison with Horns247 insider Mike Roach, working the latest development together.

The Aggies remain in play and the source indicated it’s most likely the blue-chipper out of Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair would land at either of the two in-state programs. Georgia and Auburn round out the other realistic candidates at this point.

Last week I mentioned the relationship with Stan Drayton being key in this recruitment. The source added Johnson also has a relationship with Bijan Robinson. The the third thing mentioned was that Texas being the biggest brand in Austin and the name-image likeness possibilities of playing at Texas are huge.

Johnson is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 3 running back and No. 31 prospect overall. He is the No. 4 prospect overall in the state.

The source did say he thought Johnson would stick to his timeline of deciding after his senior season. As a junior he rushed for 1,951 yards and 37 touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 2

Still going to decide after the season (if it happens) ... and conf. level 6.  Didn't the TFB guys say it would happen soon?  Interesting.

Wonder whether he made a silent commit, and Fong/Roach are not super confident.

Also - still leaves Carrington's decommitment tweet ... 

Edited by Getafix

Sticking to his timeline of after the season doesn't match with TFB's original update:

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Still waiting for some additional confirmation but I am beginning to hear of a real possibility of some excellent recruiting news.

Would be a high profile and unexpected pick-up.

I’ll let you know once I have additional confirmation one way or another. From what I gather it should go down quickly.

"pick-up"...."go down quickly"

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach

Spoiler

Is Texas surging for one of the top prospects in Texas?

Sources near four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson tell 247Sports that the Longhorns are gaining momentum. Texas A&M previously held 100% of the 247Sports Crystal Ball picks for the Houston-area runner, but Texas has been doing great work behind the scenes with one of the nation's most productive players.

Johnson's recruitment is being led by Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton, but most of the offensive staff is involved to land the priority target. His recruitment also includes assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris who has been mentioned by more than one running back target as of late as a pivotal player for Texas.

Sources in Austin feel growing confidence for Johnson and fellow elite running back Camar Wheaton. Stan Drayton's resume along with the talent Texas is stockpiling at running back has been an appealing pitch for some of the top players at the position.

Texas running back Bijan Robinson has also been involved in the recruitment for Johnson and the two have communicated often. According to sources, a decision isn't expected to happen any time soon, and Johnson plans to stick to his timeline of deciding in the fall. Numbers could force his hand if Texas continues to gain steam for Wheaton as well.

At 5-foot-10, 204 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 4 running back in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Sticking to his timeline of after the season doesn't match with TFB's original update:

Agreed, but that could just be terrible 9.95ering. 

Having said that - lots of discussions about flips (like Earle or Jackson) but I think that Foster or Byrd would also fit the narrative of a surprise high profile commit. 

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Having said that - lots of discussions about flips (like Earle or Jackson) but I think that Foster or Byrd would also fit the narrative of a surprise high profile commit. 

Any one of those four, yes please.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2020 at 6:34 PM, Bam Bam Sam said:

Xavion was all Texas for a very long time, pretty much after his brief courtship with LSU ended in the fall. Xa knew he wanted to go to a school that has a DB pedigree. He told reporters he loved A&M so people would stop asking about them. He's not the only prospect who's done / is doing that with them.

I thought more people would pick up this was about LJ, but most reacted to it thinking I was hinting at Shemar. Whoops. A&M still very much in play, but Texas has been controlling this recruitment longer than just the past few days.

Edit: absolutely zero idea if he is or isnt the recruit TFB is referencing.

Edited by Bam Bam Sam
  • Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Would assume he actually knows something but Wells shot down Byrd. There’s a poster on IT that claims to know who the player TFB is referring to and says it’s not LJ.