Jump to content
Buzzrock

Beef ribs

Recommended Posts

I still don't understand this cut. I've been holding around 200 for over an hour to render the fat. They passed the jiggle, probe, knuckle test but when I cut in between them and turned them sideways it is obvious they are not done - lots of gelatinous fat. I'm putting them back in the oven and drinking another Oberon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, I took those two racks to 203 internal and was not happy with the result. The bone slipped out with a pull and I could not slice the rib meat beyond separating each bone.

 

I’m probably going to pull at 198-200 going forward. It may be a touch chewier but I’m into it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrapped at 168, pulled at 185, rested 2 hours in the cooler. So tender two of the bones pulled out when I unwrapped to cut. a5131af2494fc03c31ad88fe07f89528.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 1:45 in the oven after they hit 203 I pulled them. They were done, but you can still see the gelatinous fat there on the one side. Is that normal? Man they are rich. My girls won't touch them... Too fatty. The boy ate one. So I basically had the other 3. Not feeling great. 

20200705_210801.jpg

20200705_210807.jpg

20200705_211026.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I gotta say, I took those two racks to 203 internal and was not happy with the result. The bone slipped out with a pull and I could not slice the rib meat beyond separating each bone.

 

I’m probably going to pull at 198-200 going forward. It may be a touch chewier but I’m into it that way.

Odd.  Never had that issue going to 203.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You ate three full dino ribs in one sitting.  LOL  Hope your toilet is not low flow.

I've been drinking. And it's not! Plus #TeamBidet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had the beef plate ribs at Costco today.  Typically it’s been the chuck ribs there.  Bought 2 racks for later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AustinMT said:

They had the beef plate ribs at Costco today.  Typically it’s been the chuck ribs there.  Bought 2 racks for later

I've had really good luck with the Costco plate ribs. In fact, good luck with pretty much everything in the Costco meat market. 

What was the per lb?  Prime?

I may have to go buy some for this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costco meat is pretty great overall.  I haven't seen the plate ribs in a while and have been doing chuck, but I'd love to get my hands on some plates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TornACL said:

I've had really good luck with the Costco plate ribs. In fact, good luck with pretty much everything in the Costco meat market. 

What was the per lb?  Prime?

I may have to go buy some for this weekend. 

It was choice— no prime.  In fact, the prime selection on the whole has been down at Costco recently.  Will check the price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

It was choice— no prime.  In fact, the prime selection on the whole has been down at Costco recently.  Will check the price

$4.69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plate are ribs 6,7,and 8, and are the larger and more marbled ribs.  I usually use the chuck ribs because they are easier to fond, and they taste great as well.  Was just happy to see these at Costco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AustinMT said:

It was choice— no prime.  In fact, the prime selection on the whole has been down at Costco recently.  Will check the price

Because the fat and collagen content in beef ribs is so high, the difference between choice and prime is negligible in my experience.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Because the fat and collagen content in beef ribs is so high, the difference between choice and prime is negligible in my experience.  

I don't disagree.  The ones I di this weekend were prime.  I did some choice about 6 weeks ago, and the photos are pretty similar and I don't recall there being any issues with the choice.  I am convinced that prime brisket is better, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I don't disagree.  The ones I di this weekend were prime.  I did some choice about 6 weeks ago, and the photos are pretty similar and I don't recall there being any issues with the choice.  I am convinced that prime brisket is better, however.

Agreed.  Prime brisket is likely better* because of the extra marbling in the flat.  I bet it be hard to tell the difference between Prime and Choice on the point - similar to the beef ribs.

*insert long explanation of grading beef here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catching up on this thread and I remembered that I have always wondered why in the hell HEB sells those trimmed down beef rib racks they call beef fingers?  What is their purpose?  Who wants a rack of ribs that are almost entirely bone because they are trimmed down to barely more than a .25" of meat?  Cross cut ribs I get, because those cook fast and and are good to gnaw on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Catching up on this thread and I remembered that I have always wondered why in the hell HEB sells those trimmed down beef rib racks they call beef fingers?  What is their purpose?  Who wants a rack of ribs that are almost entirely bone because they are trimmed down to barely more than a .25" of meat?  Cross cut ribs I get, because those cook fast and and are good to gnaw on.


Those are back ribs and they’re for poor and/or stupid people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, luke duke said:

 


Those are back ribs and they’re for poor and/or stupid people.

 

Yeah.  I tried them once on a lark. They aren't worth the trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Those are back ribs and they’re for poor and/or stupid people.

 

then they must sell the shit out of them. 

Edited by futureman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...