Jump to content

5-7 Bowl eligible?


Steelers Roll Left

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, orangebird said:

Oh I probably will anyway, because I'm a glutton for punishment...but it's annoying when certain players on the field clearly don't give a fuck, and have played like they don't give a fuck for most of the season.  Thank God some of those people finally got benched today.  But if they're going to play like they don't even care if they are on the field, why should we go out of our way to watch them not give a shit?

Hopefully the turnaround starts now.

I saw foster benched.  Anyone else?  Coburn?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I wonder if Sark is secretly dreading this potential bowl game?

He's already put up a worse season than any of Herman's.  And for all his faults, Herman was 4-0 in bowl games.  If we get a shitty bowl and lose it, oh boy, Sark... 

Yeah especially with the likelihood that there are about to be a some transfers and already guys that won’t play due to injury. The team would just be even worse really

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

WASH ST (6-5) 13- WASH (4-7) 7 early 2nd half.  WASH is one of the (4) potential 5-7 teams that are smarter than the Longhorns so go Coogs I guess.  This is what it’s come to.  Pathetic…..

UW is smarter than us?  Them's fightin' words.

Wazzu up by 17 in the 4th of the Apple Cup, tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

The best thing is to start working towards next year immediately. We better not accept a bowl invite at 5-7.

I don't know - I think we can do both. 

Can RoJo still throw?  I'd look at turning him back into a QB and using him like we did Sam last year.  He seems to be running well and isn't afraid to take hits.  He doesn't have Sam's size but we would have whichever QB (Card/Thompson) that doesn't portal as a backup.  Give him 1 meaningless game and evaluate him.

Disclaimer - I haven't followed recruiting so I don't know if any QBs are incoming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m hating this “rojo can be switched back to QB” stuff. It’s not that easy and certainly doesn’t involve the fact that maybe RoJo doesn’t want to move back to full time QB. I get the idea of “he can’t be worse than what we got” but also, he’s the best RB we have healthy right now and should stay there for a bowl game. Sam was a QB that ran…RoJo right now would be a RB that throws. It’s not the same

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

WASH ST (6-5) 13- WASH (4-7) 7 early 2nd half.  WASH is one of the (4) potential 5-7 teams that are smarter than the Longhorns so go Coogs I guess.  This is what it’s come to.  Pathetic…..

Washington ended up losing, but I read earlier that the PAC-whatever doesn't allow 5-7 teams to go to bowls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This at least is making this last week of the season a lot more fun. Now there are about 20 games this weekend that I care about.

It is hard to say what our real chances are, there are about 18 different things that can happen, and we need somewhat more than half of them going our way. We might have to wait for the Cal-USC game on 4 Dec, but otherwise by the time the Pac-12 games start at 9:30 pm tomorrow, we should know if we are out, in, or it depends on how the Pac-12 finishes. Also if Kansas beats WV, then if we get in it is probably in a Big-12 bowl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah the season sucked but not wanting a bowl game if we can get it and the players want it is pussy ass bullshit. If sark can’t recruit and prepare for a bowl game at the same time he has no business being a head coach.

Yeah how can Texas ever compete without players like BJ Foster?   I would argue We are in a better position now than most of the year.  Would definitely want Bijan back though.  I think the defense has had an attitude adjustment.  Fight me!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coaches hate this shit because it makes them and their schemes look stupid, but if we lined up with RoJo running variants of a mutant single-wing 1930s offenses we would smash most teams we played. 

The Lynx Hawthorne Baylor team Charlie slugged it out with in one of the most World War I-like games since WWI itself collected itself and took down an 11-2 Carolina Tar Heels bunch. Reggie Jefferson was the Baylor QB and he ran for 300 of Baylor's 645 yards.

Roschon, Keilan, and some of our walk-ons could do the same against a MAC team or equivalent, I am sure. (Will Brooks be back? Can any of our LBs run the ball? I remember Gbenda fucked around at RB when everyone was hurt last year. If Bijan could be back he would probably run for 350.)

Baylor broke a vintage Nebraska record for rushing yards en route to a 49-38 win. 

It's just a dumb way to play football but now it's so dumb it's genius. Or at least it was with Briles running the offense, but he had a similar one against us a few weeks before and Charlie kept them under 20 points, partially because we were running the same offense with Swoopes and so every drive seemed to take 12 minutes off the clock. 

 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's just a dumb way to play football but now it's so dumb it's genius. Or at least it was with Briles running the offense, but he had a similar one against us a few weeks before and Charlie kept them under 20 points. 

 

Sounds like you're proposing we work up a "Number 6" on 'em.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, warhorn8 said:

Number 6? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
 

Blazing Saddles Wtf GIF - Blazing Saddles Wtf Confused - Discover & Share  GIFs

 

 

Edit: My bad... Went over my head at first but I caught up eventually

Edited by JMFP
I'm slow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any idea as to how the APR works?  Should be pretty straightforward; however, according to to link below, TX is tied for 43rd, FSU is 125th, and Maryland is 99th.  Why would we need them to lose if we're higher?

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/05/2020-ncaa-academic-progress-rate-college-football-apr-rankings-1-130

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If we are eligible then we should absolutely take it. More practices (obviously should be focused on returning players even for just evaluation), but some of y'all are forgetting the most important reason we should play.

Roschon Johnson deserves to be the featured back in a bowl game in his career.

Let that stud be the got damn quarterback and single handedly will us to thrashing some shit tier team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Any idea as to how the APR works?  Should be pretty straightforward; however, according to to link below, TX is tied for 43rd, FSU is 125th, and Maryland is 99th.  Why would we need them to lose if we're higher?

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/05/2020-ncaa-academic-progress-rate-college-football-apr-rankings-1-130

Because Florida is tied with us at 43 and Rutgers is higher.  So we need them to win.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Coaches hate this shit because it makes them and their schemes look stupid, but if we lined up with RoJo running variants of a mutant single-wing 1930s offenses we would smash most teams we played. 

The Lynx Hawthorne Baylor team Charlie slugged it out with in one of the most World War I-like games since WWI itself collected itself and took down an 11-2 Carolina Tar Heels bunch. Reggie Jefferson was the Baylor QB and he ran for 300 of Baylor's 645 yards.

Roschon, Keilan, and some of our walk-ons could do the same against a MAC team or equivalent, I am sure. (Will Brooks be back? Can any of our LBs run the ball? I remember Gbenda fucked around at RB when everyone was hurt last year. If Bijan could be back he would probably run for 350.)

Baylor broke a vintage Nebraska record for rushing yards en route to a 49-38 win. 

It's just a dumb way to play football but now it's so dumb it's genius. Or at least it was with Briles running the offense, but he had a similar one against us a few weeks before and Charlie kept them under 20 points, partially because we were running the same offense with Swoopes and so every drive seemed to take 12 minutes off the clock. 

 

The amazeballs thing about that is ... the year before, they set the bowl record for most passing yards against Meatchicken State ... 603 yards. (Of course, the Baptists did their Texas 2021 imitation by giving up  21 points in the 4th quarter and losing the game.)

The next year with that 645 yards, 5 different players took snaps out of the wildcat.

Briles is a football savant. That pesky enabling rape thing was his "Hitler hates all jews" factor.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

So far, *we want Florida, Rutgers, and MTSU to win.  Any other games of interest?

*For those that want a bowl.

We want:

Aggie to beat LSU, UTSA to beat North Texas, Kansas to beat WV, Rutgers to beat Maryland, Georgia State to beat Troy, Wyoming to beat Hawaii, Virginia to beat Virginia Tech, SMU to beat Tulsa, Middle Tenn to beat Florida Atlantic, Pitt to beat Syracuse, and Tulane to beat Memphis. We can have 4 of those go the wrong way, but 5 and we are out. Besides that, we want BYU to beat USC and UCLA to beat Cal, but the full Pac-12 results may not be known until next weeks USC-Cal game. (USC and Cal have 2 games left.) We also as noted want Florida to beat FSU, but if that fails we still have the APR tiebreaker vs Gata which I assume we can possibly win (but I don't know).

If, from those first 11 games that I mentioned, we get 7 results in our favor, we will still be alive at the end of the day. If Pac-12 really will not allow losing teams to go bowling, then the Pac-12 cannot knock us out today.

Edited by pantone159
Summary.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

This is fucking depressing.  We are blue blood-ing wrong.

If somehow we back door into a bowl game, we should politely say, “no thank you.”

If 4 months of practice resulted in 5 wins, what’s really to be gained by 2 more weeks … other than the potential for further embarrassment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USC and Cal are both 4-6.  USC plays BYU (prob. a loss) and Cal plays at UCLA (maybe a loss).  They then play each other.  Cal is higher than us in APR.  So, we'd potentially want USC to win this game next week.

Other than that game, all the other teams ahead of us are either bowl eligible or not going to get to 5 wins.  So, in summary root for:

Florida

Rutgers

MTSU 

USC

And, yes.  I know this is pathetic.  But, I want my boys to see every Texas game possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...