2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Oh shit Greg Davis is back

Seems a tiny bit less than ideal that a simple bubble screen goes untouched for about 15 yards against the first team defense.

PK must have been in his 3rd and long defense from last year. I believe it was the OSU game where they had about 3 different conversions on plays very similar to that one. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

Following Saturday’s scrimmage where, by multiple accounts, quarterback Quinn Ewers had his best live-bullet performance of the spring and clearly outplayed Hudson Card, I received a few texts from some onlookers.

The one that I felt spoke best to the situation - the ongoing QB battle between Ewers and Card?

“If [Ewers] can just master the mundane, he’s going to be outstanding,” one source wrote via text.

But Ewers is still not there. Not yet at least.

While I feel there’s good reason to be excited about Saturday’s scrimmage not only for Ewers but for the potential he brings for unlocking Sark’s offense and all those skill position weapons at the Horns’ disposal, I also think anointing Ewers right now is still putting the cart well before the horse.

A few tantalizing throws are not the same as getting a team into the right plays or checking down to avoid eating the ball on a pass rush. There is still the “mundane” that Ewers needs to prove adept at.

Now, I’m not saying that Card is necessarily better than Ewers in all of those facets of the game. But I am told Card still knows the offense better and is still improving his own game. Although I think it’s also now just as clear that Card’s top-end ability just may not be on the same level as Ewers. If anything, that’s what Saturday showed.

I was today years old when I learned that Ewers has a higher ceiling than Hudson Card. I like bobby but holy fuck that is incredible lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems a tiny bit less than ideal that a simple bubble screen goes untouched for about 15 yards against the first team defense.

PK must have been in his 3rd and long defense from last year. I believe it was the OSU game where they had about 3 different conversions on plays very similar to that one. 

It looks a lot like the mesh concept with the RB leaking into the crease.

This below, but with the Z WR running a curl/out/something on the sideline instead of the H on a post.

spacer.png

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This below, but with the Z WR running a curl/out/something on the sideline instead of the H on a post.

spacer.png

Also a great example of Jones not having the slightest clue who to block. Maybe I'm wrong but you would think the LT would block the outside defender with his hand in the dirt.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I realize that I'm stating the obvious, but if the dude who has been on campus for 3 months has anywhere near the understanding of the offense as the guy who has been here since BEFORE COVID, then this "competition" is already over.

You are, and it is.. 

Also, I am sad to say that I spent way too much time breaking down that highlight to figure out which QB threw it. It was Ewers. He doesn't wear wrist bands, Card does. That is a thing I know now. And also I didnt notice him come into the screen at the end because I am a moron of the highest caliber. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Also a great example of Jones not having the slightest clue who to block. Maybe I'm wrong but you would think the LT would block the outside defender with his hand in the dirt.

It looks like the End on the boundary side is a read.  Sucking him up field ensures he wont bounce out in time with the running back letting the rail route run free.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

It looks like the End on the boundary side is a read.  Sucking him up field ensures he wont bounce out in time with the running back letting the rail route run free.

It's possible the play design was as the RB as the only option if the QB got the read on the defense he wanted. If that's the case there was protection changes available and or audibles for different defensive alignments. I still don't like a DE getting a free run at the QB. Those are usually reserved for play action bootlegs. Whatever, it worked but Jones sucked damn near all year on pass protection so who knows but the coaches and players. It would be interesting to find out.

Edited by Longhornlove
fat fingers

14 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Same play against Tech the end is also unblocked.  He drops, but doesn't follow Bijan wide.

If the end does chase, I wonder what the read actually is.  Does the QB take off on that edge? Or is he waiting for the shallow cross to clear all the way from the opposite side?

Edited by JBJ

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You are, and it is.. 

Also, I am sad to say that I spent way too much time breaking down that highlight to figure out which QB threw it. It was Ewers. He doesn't wear wrist bands, Card does. That is a thing I know now. And also I didnt notice him come into the screen at the end because I am a moron of the highest caliber. 

The End Lettering GIF by William Garratt

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Same play against Tech the end is also unblocked.  He drops, but doesn't follow Bijan wide.

If the end does chase, I wonder what the read actually is.  Does the QB take off on that edge?

its a nasty play. Man to man beater. 2 WRs creating a pick. Just dont throw it to Bijan vs Cover 2. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Just stopping by to LOL at anyone who actually believes that there is a QB competition. They know exactly who Card is and they didn't wrangle $3+million in deals for Ewers just to then park him on the bench until Card shits himself against pressure again.

Yup, LOL for real at the Lake Travis homers.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just stopping by to LOL at anyone who actually believes that there is a QB competition. They know exactly who Card is and they didn't wrangle $3+million in deals for Ewers just to then park him on the bench until Card shits himself against pressure again.

Anybody know anything about ULM's front 7?

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Honestly I don't think anyone believes that Card is going to win the "competition" but in the end there needs to be at minimum, a perceived competition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Honestly I don't think anyone believes that Card is going to win the "competition" but in the end there needs to be at minimum, a perceived competition.

If not, he may bounce.  My only hope now is Ewers is busted at the Landing Strip and suspended for the first half of ULM.

• Haha 3

On 4/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, Tex Long said:

It's all well and good that we use this forum to laud Ewers and a few other players who seem to be standing out. Moar kuhlade, mighty fine.

At this point, it's looking 100% for Card in the portal, unknown when, but not whether. Concomitantly, surly appears to be spending 100% (close enough) of its posting about QB on denigration of Card and crying for a backup from the portal, even while we have several on the squad right now. Card shows as better than anyone but Ewers, but that is because Sark likes his throws, and that is because he, Sark, is discounting Card's proclivity for skipping  open reads and dawdling around the pocket until he gets sacked, or throws a pick... and then going catatonic the next possession. 

I'm hoping we see Maalik move up to QB2, with mostly the same playbook as Ewers,  but with an addition of Marion's go-go book, featuring RPO/TripleOption. Maalik is a fascinating prospect, closer to Blessed Vince than to the 18-Wheeler. At least, he appears to put his 6'5" 225 # frame to good use as an actual run threat that D's absolutely must account for. I think, were I in Sark's position there, I'd be looking at Maalik for the backup role. Maalik is not the passer Ewers is, but he's a much better runner, less likely to get injured, changes the opponents' D (or iff they don't change, shreds that D).

A QB2 like that is literally a game-changer, as many are, but not many in such a good way.

Surely, this was, an attempt, to be, @Hank Scorpio, (let me, get a, couple, more, commas, for good, measure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,),

Also I'm hoping we see additions from the go go no matter who the QB is. Sark won't go for the triple option stuff, but it would be another way for us to scheme away from a weakness (WR) and towards a strength (RB). So far the practice reports have mentioned 12 personnel a lot but I haven't seen anything about the go go. Sark pls.

17 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Surely, this was, an attempt, to be, @Hank Scorpio, (let me, get a, couple, more, commas, for good, measure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,),

Also I'm hoping we see additions from the go go no matter who the QB is. Sark won't go for the triple option stuff, but it would be another way for us to scheme away from a weakness (WR) and towards a strength (RB). So far the practice reports have mentioned 12 personnel a lot but I haven't seen anything about the go go. Sark pls.

If our front line WR groups stays healthy, I don't think WR will in any way be a weakness next year. I have heard a few reports of more two back sets with Bijan and Roschon on the field together, I can only assume that is the go-go stuff. They are probably keeping it quiet, but Ewers, Bijan, Roschon, Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor on the field at the same time would be a pretty terrifying offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, OB3 said:

Oh shit Greg Davis is back

Obviously not Greg Davis, since the receiver is moving when the ball arrives.

Greg Davis only threw screen passes to stationary receivers behind the line of scrimmage, and usually when the number of defenders exceeded the number of blockers.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

If not, he may bounce.  My only hope now is Ewers is busted at the Landing Strip and suspended for the first half of ULM.

The owner of that joint's kid is one of my daughter's buddies. He was accepted to Mays a couple month ago. His parents treated him to a table dance for his 18th birthday (or it might have been in celebration of his acceptance, though his dad thinks he's wasting his time with college).  

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Ewers will be at Divas for their $5 dances on Wednesday night following some private event he’s attending at COTA. He doesn’t need all the publicity that comes with visiting a well advertised place like the Landing Strip.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

The owner of that joint's kid is one of my daughter's buddies. He was accepted to Mays a couple month ago. His parents treated him to a table dance for his 18th birthday (or it might have been in celebration of his acceptance, though his dad thinks he's wasting his time with college).  

Just make sure that the kid doesn't have "Recruiter" on his linkedin profile. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Yep, should have been illegal motion

It's close enough to not be called.  Bijan, being in the backfield and the only player in motion, doesn't have to be set for the 1 second rule.  He just has to not be moving forward at the snap.

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It's close enough to not be called.  Bijan, being in the backfield and the only player in motion, doesn't have to be set for the 1 second rule.  He just has to not be moving forward at the snap.

That shows quite a bit of confidence in the idiots that we know as Big XII refs.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Chip 

Not quoting correctly but the bit about working with Card on pocket presence and fear of contact stood out. If those are issues for a third year QB in practice, against a defense with a very limited pass rush, they're never going to get fixed.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, Eggo said:

I choose not to believe we're worse than the 2013 team that got 8 wins. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 12.38.44 PM.png

That team not only ended up with a surprising amount of NFL talent, it was tied at halftime in the de-facto Big 12 title game. Down year for the conference but still. That's probably the model for this team's success if it has any. Going to get embarrassed by Bama, probably to the combined level that BYU and Ole Miss delivered in 2013, but with luck and a down OU, could string some wins together in the Big 12 to be there in the end.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, cdain3 said:

The defensive line was said to be one of the best position groups on the day, but we keep hearing similar feedback that they're fantastic against the run but aren't producing a consistent pass rush. 

Perhaps this can change a bit with Mathis, but if this defense can't pressure the QB against what is being trotted out there on the OL right now, there's no hope for a functional defense.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, Tex Long said:

It's all well and good that we use this forum to laud Ewers and a few other players who seem to be standing out. Moar kuhlade, mighty fine.

At this point, it's looking 100% for Card in the portal, unknown when, but not whether. Concomitantly, surly appears to be spending 100% (close enough) of its posting about QB on denigration of Card and crying for a backup from the portal, even while we have several on the squad right now. Card shows as better than anyone but Ewers, but that is because Sark likes his throws, and that is because he, Sark, is discounting Card's proclivity for skipping  open reads and dawdling around the pocket until he gets sacked, or throws a pick... and then going catatonic the next possession. 

I'm hoping we see Maalik move up to QB2, with mostly the same playbook as Ewers,  but with an addition of Marion's go-go book, featuring RPO/TripleOption. Maalik is a fascinating prospect, closer to Blessed Vince than to the 18-Wheeler. At least, he appears to put his 6'5" 225 # frame to good use as an actual run threat that D's absolutely must account for. I think, were I in Sark's position there, I'd be looking at Maalik for the backup role. Maalik is not the passer Ewers is, but he's a much better runner, less likely to get injured, changes the opponents' D (or iff they don't change, shreds that D).

A QB2 like that is literally a game-changer, as many are, but not many in such a good way.

lol negged for the ol' "black QB must be a runner" take.

4 hours ago, JBJ said:

spacer.png

Imagine being told, in this moment, that this would be the highlight win of the season, and this play Hudson Card's peak at Texas.

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I realize that I'm stating the obvious, but if the dude who has been on campus for 3 months has anywhere near the understanding of the offense as the guy who has been here since BEFORE COVID, then this "competition" is already over.

This. Though, to be fair, Card could have some pretty nasty brain fog if he's managed to get COVID three or four times or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Umm.. Ewers did get the 1.000 rating. 

Yes, but if they both had been in the same class as they were supposed to be, and Maalik had the same development Ewers did, it's more than  likely they would've been ranked #1 and 2 in the class with the different groups divided between the order of the two, leaving neither player with the unanimous overall #1 tank needed to score the perfect 1.000.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If our front line WR groups stays healthy, I don't think WR will in any way be a weakness next year. I have heard a few reports of more two back sets with Bijan and Roschon on the field together, I can only assume that is the go-go stuff. They are probably keeping it quiet, but Ewers, Bijan, Roschon, Worthy, Whittington, and Neyor on the field at the same time would be a pretty terrifying offense. 

Really? Not a weakness in any way? Even the practice reports during peak koolaid season haven't been particularly positive. Haven't there been several days with a bunch of reported drops? I'll continue to be skeptical of the group until we have more than one guy consistently prove it on the field. Or at least until we move past the point where catching the ball is a major point of interest in practice.

X is great. Neyor is probably good, maybe great. JWhitt is good but not great when healthy. Casey Cain and Brennen Thompson might be good but definitely don't factor into my expectations for this year. Nobody else should be seen as a plus player on a conference championship level team. 

I feel like our standards at WR have really fallen the last couple years. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

32 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Yes, but if they both had been in the same class as they were supposed to be, and Maalik had the same development Ewers did, it's more than  likely they would've been ranked #1 and 2 in the class with the different groups divided between the order of the two, leaving neither player with the unanimous overall #1 tank needed to score the perfect 1.000.   

This is a bizarre alternate universe you're creating. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is some wild revisionism right here. Maalik probably does have a stronger arm, but he struggles with accuracy more because he has heavy feet and a delivery that’s too long right now. He’ll need time to fix that stuff and it will take time. Saying Maalik has more touch and a better delivery is just flat out wrong. 

And while Maalik didn’t go to a powerhouse program, he’s had a ton of private training since as early as the 5th grade. He’s had very high level QB training for most of his life. He’s not some small town kid whose never received high level training, so it’s a pretty big assumption that he can fix all his issues and become as polished as Ewers. There are plenty of QBs with a huge frame and a massive arm that can never refine other parts of their game. 

Having said that, he was a good take and a perfect guy to come with Ewers so he can develop over time, but some of y’all really need to work on keeping things in perspective. 

There is a lot of incomplete picture ness or just wrong with what you wrote that I'm not going to both breaking it down point by point.  But a few early scrub camps is not Ewers level of development...  Issues with accuracy at times are a product multiple things like a shitty coaching staff that don't teach wrs  run  consistent routes so timing routes become a coin toss.  It is also the lack of learning to read a defense properly, which leads to times of confusion...  And then there were the games he was banged up which causes throwing issues...   As for accuracy, there is a reason he placed quite a bit higher than Ewers at the Elite 11.  Working with wrs that ran correct routes, he hit the throws more consistently and accurately than Ewers.  That is what happens when coaches.  

But I didn't bring up accuracy.  I said arm strength and touch.  Maalik's touch is a lot like Aikman's was in the day.  Ewers places the ball effortlessly in the perfect spot consistently, but it doesn't always have the right touch where it drops perfectly in the basket.  Colt had that touch on short and medium throws.  Everyone had Maalik listed as a project due to lack of development.  Accuracy wasn't an area of concern.

Now the way Ewers handles pressure, or steps up in the pocket, or steps into his throw knowing he is about to be leveled. Is about as Aikman as Aikman himself.  

3 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

There is a lot of incomplete picture ness or just wrong with what you wrote that I'm not going to both breaking it down point by point.  But a few early scrub camps is not Ewers level of development...  Issues with accuracy at times are a product multiple things like a shitty coaching staff that don't teach wrs  run  consistent routes so timing routes become a coin toss.  It is also the lack of learning to read a defense properly, which leads to times of confusion...  And then there were the games he was banged up which causes throwing issues...   As for accuracy, there is a reason he placed quite a bit higher than Ewers at the Elite 11.  Working with wrs that ran correct routes, he hit the throws more consistently and accurately than Ewers.  That is what happens when coaches.  

But I didn't bring up accuracy.  I said arm strength and touch.  Maalik's touch is a lot like Aikman's was in the day.  Ewers places the ball effortlessly in the perfect spot consistently, but it doesn't always have the right touch where it drops perfectly in the basket.  Colt had that touch on short and medium throws.  Everyone had Maalik listed as a project due to lack of development.  Accuracy wasn't an area of concern.

Now the way Ewers handles pressure, or steps up in the pocket, or steps into his throw knowing he is about to be leveled. Is about as Aikman as Aikman himself.  

^ Just how drunk are you right now? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Does anybody here speak Jive? 

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic