Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

7 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Did they? If an outfielder touches a ball in the air in foul territory, and causes it to drop into fair territory, isn't it considered a fair ball?

If so, we caught a break. They could have scored two runs on that "single" Hook 'em.

Whoa! Mind blowing.

Just now, Irish Wrist Watch said:

He touched the ball in foul territory - he did not catch it, and it dropped into fair territory. I've never heard of any kind of distance rule that said the ball has to be a certain distance from the foul line before such a "deflection" would count.

You are just wrong. 

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Most guys show a completed catch coming out of the stands because an umpire can’t see. I don’t think he really ever had control of it.

Yeah. He decided to go with it and act like it was intentional. Hard to tell though because he was swinging his arms in victory. We got lucky.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

He touched the ball in foul territory - he did not catch it, and it dropped into fair territory. I've never heard of any kind of distance rule that said the ball has to be a certain distance from the foul line before such a "deflection" would count.

There is no such thing as a deflection rule.  Stahp. 

I'm not saying it's the worst call in the history of baseball, but the wording of the rule (as cut and pasted here) is interesting.  The phrase "voluntary and intentional" is actually defined in the rule, and doesn't appear to allow any discretion.  Securing the ball FOLLOWED by a reversal of momentum would seem to be sufficient.  

But I get the call.  IU probably would have bitched had it gone the other way, and it would be hard to blame them.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You are just wrong. 

How so? So you're saying that if the fielder is standing on the foul line and the ball comes down say a foot out of bounds, but the fielder blows the catch and the ball drops into fair territory, that that is considered a foul ball. I don't know the rule, but I think I'm right. In that instance, it becomes a fair ball.

• Fuck You 4

Just now, spystud13 said:

It’s not possible for jimmy to admit defeat. I don’t give a fuck if you don’t believe me, but your fucking hero Kendall confirmed it. 

You should try the decaf.  I also haven't the foggiest why you think Kendall is "my hero" but you're obviously drunk, high, or thinking about somebody else.  Back the fuck off.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

How so? So you're saying that if the fielder is standing on the foul line and the ball comes down say a foot out of bounds, but the fielder blows the catch and the ball drops into fair territory, that that is considered a foul ball. I don't know the rule, but I think I'm right. In that instance, it becomes a fair ball.

Yes. That is a foul ball. It stays fair if it happens in reverse too. 

www.livestrong.com/article/170778-baseball-rules-on-a-hit-ball-that-hits-home-plate/

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not saying it's the worst call in the history of baseball, but the wording of the rule (as cut and pasted here) is interesting.  The phrase "voluntary and intentional" is actually defined in the rule, and doesn't appear to allow any discretion.  Securing the ball FOLLOWED by a reversal of momentum would seem to be sufficient.  

But I get the call.  IU probably would have bitched had it gone the other way, and it would be hard to blame them.

At no point during his reversal of momentum did he demonstrate control. He leaned over, caught it, and the ball flies out as he pulls his glove back. So he does not satisfy stipulation 1. Only masen knows if he let it go intentionally or not because it wasn’t no obvious during the play, so he does not satisfy stipulation 2. So, no catch. 

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Jesus christ, no. Do you really believe this? Holy fuck. A ball in the OF that falls fair is fucking fair, a ball that falls foul is fucking foul. That’s it. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

At no point during his reversal of momentum did he demonstrate control. He leaned over, caught it, and the ball flies out as he pulls his glove back. So he does not satisfy stipulation 1. 

I can buy that.  I thought it seemed like he had it for a bit before it flew out but I'm not about to rewind and look for it.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I was wrong:

"An outfield fly ball is judged to be fair or foul by the relationship of the ball to the foul line at the moment it first touches the ground, or where it first touches a fielder. If the ball touches a fielder in-flight, the judgment is made at where the ball was when it was touched, NOT from where it may land after a miss, or drop of the ball, by a fielder. The position of the fielder is irrelevant. You only focus on the ball and the foul line. "

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

You are correct. You don’t know the rule. 

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground. A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the infielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball. Rule 2.00 (Foul Ball) Comment: A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitchers rubber and rebounds into foul territory, between home and first, or between home and third base is a foul ball.

10 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Most guys show a completed catch coming out of the stands because an umpire can’t see. I don’t think he really ever had control of it.

It appears he caught the ball with his back to the field....and as he was turning around with the glove, the ball hit the top of the rail, sending it flying onto the field.  So, a catch.....IMHO.

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

DDA must have been arrested. Haven’t seen or heard him since about the 3rd inning. 

was at the game. DDA was about to go down behind the plate and I saw one event guy and another older guy talking to him and they wouldn't let him go back down.

and yeah that ump was unbelievably bad.   dude really shouldn't be behind a plate.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yes, it was. But we won the shit, so fuck it.

I kind of agree. he had control, stopped his momentum and started to go back towards the field.  be better if our players just catch the ball and wait 5 or 6 seconds to celebrate though.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I kind of agree. he had control, stopped his momentum and started to go back towards the field.  be better if our players just catch the ball and wait 5 or 6 seconds to celebrate though.

We still won, but Coach Pierce gets a major teachable moment out of it. Best of both worlds.

Yeah, the DDA treatment was BS. He went to go sit a couple sections over near 3rd base and the same usher who told him he couldn’t sit behind Home plate went and told an APD officer. The officer walked down where he was sitting, in an empty seat, and said move...

Horse shit for a fanatic fan who cheered us on to victory several times.

Great damn game...Pierce’s pitching carousel scared the shit out of me but worked...Chase is a gamer.

Bring on Ole Miss or whomever...we’re ready!

\m/

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don’t think he discarded the baseball in celebration. Based on the replays I saw I felt when he was pulling the ball back towards him it hit the railing while in his glove and knocked it free as he raised his hand to celebrate.

was at the game. DDA was about to go down behind the plate and I saw one event guy and another older guy talking to him and they wouldn't let him go back down.

Thanks. I was going to post about his disappearance, but I didn’t see the interaction with the event staff. I assumed DDA got busted hitting his hooch stash. In the first three innings, homeboy must’ve left his seat 10 times.

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I don’t think he discarded the baseball in celebration. Based on the replays I saw I felt when he was pulling the ball back towards him it hit the railing while in his glove and knocked it free as he raised his hand to celebrate.

agreed he didn't mean to let it go but if he just takes a couple of seconds to make sure he has it and comes out of the stands a bit slower.  guy caught and jsut wanted to celebrate a bit too quickly.

helluva game.  Shugart saved the season.

Just now, spystud13 said:

Good one jimmy, you really fucking killed that one. I know baseball, you post stupid shit like that. 

Your stoned ass still hasn't admitted that you have me mixed up with somebody else.  Puff puff, bitch.

Plus, I can read.

I don't even know what it means to get "killed about the rule", but I'm sure in your mind you've won some great battle without actually ever explaining your position.

Regardless, you STILL can't admit you don't know who you're talking about.  I don't know shit about "Kendall".