Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

10 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

True, but he also donated the freezer, poaching his backstrap would be like banging his wife while he’s out of town.  I mean I’ll think about it, but I’m not gonna actually do it.  

Pics of the wife's backstrap, por favor. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

12 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

No cheese shelf don't care.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Question:  Let's get our terminology straight.  I thought that the cheese on a taco was the "hinge" rather than the "shelf" -- amirite?

Answer:  Cheese on a hot dog bun or similar is a “hinge”.   Cheese on anything else is up for grabs, and will improve your regularity.  

Result:  Continued confusion between a hinge and a shelf.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/27/dining/mississippi-roast.html

Fifteen or so years ago, by her recollection, a woman named Robin Chapman made a pot roast in her slow cooker. Now known as Mississippi Roast, it would eventually become one of the most popular recipes on the web, an unlikely star with unlikely ingredients, a favorite of the mom-blog set.

Ms. Chapman lives in Ripley, Miss., but she did not call her pot roast Mississippi Roast, not then and not now. She just calls it “roast.” She used beef chuck to make the dish that first time, she told me in an interview, and put a packet of dry ranch-dressing mix on top of the meat, along with a packet of dry “au jus” gravy, a stick of butter and a few pepperoncini. It was an on-the-spot variation of a recipe she had learned from her aunt, which called for packaged Italian dressing. Ms. Chapman wanted something “milder,” she said, so she swapped out the Italian for the ranch.

that might be the whitest thing i've ever read

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Mississippi pot roast is a goto for feeding the family on holidays. I think [mention]Johnny Sack [/mention] Talked about it years ago and it’s stuck with us.

What’s the redder powder under the ranch on your pic

Onion soup maybe.  I used a pack in mine.  I hadn't had that stuff since every American dad thought it was a required ingredient in homemade burgers in the 80s.

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

It was an on-the-spot variation of a recipe she had learned from her aunt, which called for packaged Italian dressing. Ms. Chapman wanted something “milder,” she said, so she swapped out the Italian for the ranch.

White America......where packaged Italian dressing is just too damned spicy.

27109369.gif

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Recipes I've seen call for ranch and au jus mixes, see where JL put butter on his but some recipes don't call for it.  Going to have to breakdown and try it some day even if the wife isn't too keen on it.  

I used the ranch packet, onion soup packet, stick of butter, and the pan drippings (I deglazed the pan I used to sear the roast with beef broth).

• Drool 1

That Mississippi pot roast is so damn good. We throw in red pepper flakes, mushrooms and chunks of onions and let all that cook down as well. It’s great over mashed potatoes or rice.

IIRC, Malcolm, on the How To BBQ Right YouTube channel, smoked a Chuck roast for an hour before throwing it in the slow cooker. Turned it up to 11.

Double the ranch IMO and the whole jar of peppers is the way to go.

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Mississippi pot roast is a goto for feeding the family on holidays. I think [mention]Johnny Sack [/mention] Talked about it years ago and it’s stuck with us.

What’s the redder powder under the ranch on your pic

I think its just where some of the ranch or Au Jos was touching the blood from the meat. 1 packet of each plus some ground pepper and butter. I added about half a bottle of Modelo too

3 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Leftover roast sandwiches. Provolone cheese.

My wife, was raised vegetarian has requested that I make this again next week. Not bad for about $12 worth of food.

Cross posting to the sandwich threadbf4d8b77e424af3bc08931c4c444a53d.jpg79d4cefbefc2ff7d0e9be3e014e9b101.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Yes, I got you fam.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it was fantastic... however the whole Mississippi roast as a trend is definitely a thing as my wife was like "I have this new way of doing roast" ... then I had to tell her yeah this isn't a new thing. 

I was a bit disappointed as I always look forward to the potatoes and carrots in a roast, and I wanted to put them in, but "noooooo they'll soak up all the juices!" 

So, has anyone done this with a tri tip? I found a couple recipes that used it as the cut of meat. I ask because I have a big one in my freezer already and would love to not have to go to the store. 

also, has anyone done it with already sliced pepperoncinis? Because, again, have an unopened jar in my pantry. 

If not I’ll probably cook it anyway because fuck it and I will  let y’all know how it goes. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, has anyone done this with a tri tip? I found a couple recipes that used it as the cut of meat. I ask because I have a big one in my freezer already and would love to not have to go to the store. 

also, has anyone done it with already sliced pepperoncinis? Because, again, have an unopened jar in my pantry. 

If not I’ll probably cook it anyway because fuck it and I will  let y’all know how it goes. 

Should work fine with tri tip.  It's slow roasting so should have plenty of time to break down the muscles and you have the butter for extra fat. And I've seen a couple of people use sliced peppers.

• Hook 'Em 1