2019 OT Javonne Shepherd

Machinator

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

He told Mackovic he was transferring to aggy and attended aggy workouts.  I thought from memory that he enrolled, but he may not have made the grades to get in the school.  

Didn't Hadnot flunk out after his freshmen year?

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Hadnot funked out after his freshmen year. He never made it to the Mackovic years.

No, new coach Mackovic lowered him on the spring depth chart in 1992 and he was suspended and placed on academic probation after failing summer classes.  He contemplated transferring to aggy and a couple of NAIA schools.  He pissed Mackovic off after saying he was going to aggy.  Look it up.  

• Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Surely A&M tampered with Shepherd? They need true OTs and probably still had influence w/ guys close to him.

Guess we'll see where he goes.

After the ass kicking Jimbo took over the summer on head-to-head recruitments against Herman, the Omeire flip, and then Princely bailing on the OV, you know they are looking for any kind of momentum in-state against Texas.

Interesting if A&M is taking him, considering their roster issues on the horizon; not many graduating seniors, Jimbo wants to take a full class to get the class ranking inflated, Ellison/Mowry likely making it in, so they'll need mass attrition

52 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

My post didn't age well.

Shepherd has the most potential of any Tackle on the roster from the last 2 classes.  If he stays engaged and remains a culture fit he'll be a starting beast in another year or 2 IMO.

Actually, you're dead right so far. If he goes somewhere, works hard and stays engaged and turns out to be an outstanding tackle, you're golden.

Shepherd definitely got the benefit of some Yancy. If he goes to A&M, he'll be just in time for next year's prediction of the year after's playoff!

13 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys have anyone of you even thought about the fact that maybe old Shep is homesick?  These kids traveling so far away from home as 18 year olds.  Without the protection of confines of home, it can be quite overwhelming.  

Hank forgot to log out?

10 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Guys have anyone of you even thought about the fact that maybe old Shep is homesick?  These kids traveling so far away from home as 18 year olds.  Without the protection of confines of home, it can be quite overwhelming.  

There’s nothing like that corner tattoo studio we all grew up in. It’s like a regular Norman fucking Rockwell painting on your forearm 

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

FWK’s “shocked” tweet today was too obvious. 

Herman: You have to answer for Shepherd, FWK. You fingered Javonne for the Jimbo people.

FWK: Tom, you got it all wrong.

Herman: Ahhh, that little farce you played with my tackle. You think that would fool a Longhorn?

FWK: Tom, I'm innocent. I swear on the kids.

Herman: Sit down.

FWK: Please don't do this to me, Tom. Please don't.

Herman: Noah Cain is dead. So is Trey Sanders. Garrett Wilson. Green. Wease. Today I settled all family business so don't tell me that you're innocent. Admit what you did. [FWK starts sobbing] Get him a drink. Don't be afraid, Foot. Come on, you think I'd make my tackle an aggy? I'm Coach to your meal ticket. [FWK gets handed a drink] Go ahead. Drink. Drink. No, you're off the payroll, that's your punishment. You're finished. I'm putting you on a pickup to Katy. Herb? [Hand hands Tom a Bucky's gift card] I want you to stay there, you understand? [Foot nods] Only don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry. Now, who approached you first? Jimbo or Ogre?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Herman: You have to answer for Shepherd, FWK. You fingered Javonne for the Jimbo people.

FWK: Tom, you got it all wrong.

Herman: Ahhh, that little farce you played with my tackle. You think that would fool a Longhorn?

FWK: Tom, I'm innocent. I swear on the kids.

Herman: Sit down.

FWK: Please don't do this to me, Tom. Please don't.

Herman: Noah Cain is dead. So is Trey Sanders. Garrett Wilson. Green. Wease. Today I settled all family business so don't tell me that you're innocent. Admit what you did. [FWK starts sobbing] Get him a drink. Don't be afraid, Foot. Come on, you think I'd make my tackle an aggy? I'm Coach to your meal ticket. [FWK gets handed a drink] Go ahead. Drink. Drink. No, you're off the payroll, that's your punishment. You're finished. I'm putting you on a pickup to Katy. Herb? [Hand hands Tom a Bucky's gift card] I want you to stay there, you understand? [Foot nods] Only don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry. Now, who approached you first? Jimbo or Ogre?

*Javonne gets in his car*

Carrington, from the backseat: "Hello Javonne"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

STFU Bru 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I guess I am still somewhat surprised it happened so quickly. We had more than one insider report saying he was bought in and even the most bearish posters would not have set the over/under at 6 weeks. 

Maybe don't pay attention to "insiders." Most of them are just guessing or making shit up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Maybe don't pay attention to "insiders." Most of them are just guessing or making shit up.

At least one of those was on this site. Again I’m not at all surprised he’s gone just the timeline. I assumed if he left it would have been if he could not crack the two deep after his redshirt year. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

At least one of those was on this site. Again I’m not at all surprised he’s gone just the timeline.

I hear you. With a kid like Shepherd, I don't think anyone knows what he's thinking. Seems like he changes his mind constantly. It just didn't seem like he was ever really sure this is where he wanted to be. And he clearly isn't taking advice from good people.

Shepherd, Demas, and Leon O'Neal can really build something special in Aggyland. I'm guessing there's a short bus they can tool around town in.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I hear you. With a kid like Shepherd, I don't think anyone knows what he's thinking. Seems like he changes his mind constantly. It just didn't seem like he was ever really sure this is where he wanted to be. And he clearly isn't taking advice from good people.
Shepherd, Demas, and Leon O'Neal can really build something special in Aggyland. I'm guessing there's a short bus they can tool around town in.
november2007079.jpg

If aggy were a little more self aware they would ditch the large charter and simply buy about 5 of these for the team.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3069762

Texags not real thrilled either.

Lol. OP ends with "not sure he can block SEC guys."

Now, there's all kinds of ways to shoot down that dumbass aggy (redundant, I know) statement, but the first commenter does so succinctly and beyond reproach:

"Ours can't either."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If it's true that Shep is the player getting in the ears of Eaton and Princely steering them away that's just downright toxic as fuck. When it boils down to it Princely and Eaton are barely 4 star players, they won't make or break this class, but it's a fucked up situation if it's true that he's deterring recruits and potential recruits from playing for Texas.

15 minutes ago, Chad said:

If it's true that Shep is the player getting in the ears of Eaton and Princely steering them away that's just downright toxic as fuck. When it boils down to it Princely and Eaton are barely 4 star players, they won't make or break this class, but it's a fucked up situation if it's true that he's deterring recruits and potential recruits from playing for Texas.

Others may wish him well, but I hope he eats himself back into a human cube.  Hope he sucks shit through a straw and has a miserable life (I know, redundant).

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Need help..... Behind a paywall

"Chip's Mailbag: Herman hysteria, Javonne Shepherd, the Texas D"

VIP ByCHIP BROWN 5 hours ago

(Btw....   FCB...FCB...FCB !!!)

Here you go:

Spoiler

Q: We kept hearing before the season that this is a team led by players, which bodes well for any good team. When players hold players accountable, it sure makes life easier for the coaches. So, when a Javonne Shepherd did what he did (allegedly punching Joseph Ossai during summer workouts), have you heard anything about how the team leaders handled that? - OrangeIsNewBlack

Any time a player punches a teammate, like we saw with Jacoby Jones punching offensive lineman Derek Kerstetter in training camp, that player tends to alienate himself from some part of the team unless he’s truly remorseful about it (or unless he’s Michael Jordan - the best player in the world in his sport - after punching teammate Steve Kerr).

As I’ve said previously, Javonne Shepherd is a superior talent who happens to be a volatile, combustible guy, in part, according to sources, because of his upbringing. And there are several team sources who told me the Texas staff really wanted to work with Shepherd to become a more mature young man who will graduate with a degree and see the big picture. But Shepherd also being in the middle of the pre-game scrape with OU (along with Jacoby Jones) required more discipline from the staff. (FYI, Jones is a volatile/combustible guy, too, who struggles with some of the same stuff as Shepherd. And coaches are trying to get him to see how his actions impact others, I’m told.)

And when you’re dealing with someone who can’t see the big picture and can only see right now/life on their terms, discipline can be seen as being pushed away as opposed to tough love.

In the end, from what I’m told, Shepherd’s summer workout actions (the alleged punch thrown at Ossai) pushed teammates away, and then other actions that required discipline alienated him even more from teammates and made him feel like he was being pushed away by coaches, eventually leading him to tell a guy like Princely Umanmielen not to come to Texas.

When a young person can’t see discipline as tough love and only sees at as being pushed away, there’s a lack of self awareness that is going to make it difficult to fit into a team setting.

I think the Texas staff genuinely cared about Shepherd and wanted to help him see the future instead of the now. But they couldn’t get there (because of everything stated above).

Hopefully, Shepherd will eventually see there’s more to his future than football and realize tough love is going to be needed along the way.

His situation reminds me of former Texas offensive lineman Desmond Harrison - a guy Charlie Strong and his staff fought for, despite repeated team violations, because Strong was more concerned that without his education as well as the structure and discipline required from football that Harrison might end up returning to a life in the streets.

Q: With all the injuries, why are we not seeing Tyler Owens at safety? He's burned his RS on special teams, anyway. Thx, Chip. - MihmRulesDad

Get ready MihmRulesDad. This week might be the week.

Q: Here’s a CFP scenario:

Clemson 12-1 (ACC Champs, random bad loss)

OU 12-1 (Loss in B12 CC)

Baylor 12-1 (B12 Champs, Loss to OU regular season)

Wisconsin 12-1 (B10 Champs)

tOSU 12-1 (Loss in B10 CC)

Oregon 12-1 (P12 Champs)

Alabama 11-1 (Loss to LSU)

LSU 12-1 (Loss in SEC CC)

Florida 12-1 (SEC Champs)

SMU 13-0

Who’s in? - griffinmccombs

SMU!!! No, just kidding. I’m still cheering for a New Year’s Six bowl (Cotton Bowl to be specific) meeting between Texas and my alma mater SMU.

Texas would undoubtedly win. But I think it would be a fun reunion of the Southwest Conference and would be awesome to have Shane Buechele facing his friend Sam Ehlinger and former Longhorns’ teammates. That’s just me.

On to the question, and I hate hypotheticals like this, because I have to base my answer on how those teams look right now. And right now, Alabama has an injured Tua, but I’ll play along …

The four in would probably be (in this order):

#1 … LSU (Probably the best team in the country all year when everyone stops to consider it as well as schedule strength credit for winning at Texas in non-con)

#2 … Florida (SEC champs with only loss to LSU and the No. 2 seed because most think the SEC rules the world - and, of course, to avoid LSU-Florida Part III until absolutely necessary.)

#3 … Clemson (This spot probably deserves to go to the Big Ten. But CFP committee is blinded by last year’s rout of Bama for national title, and puts Tigers in as No. 3 seed even though no marquee wins, a random/bad loss and lousy schedule strength)

#4 … Oregon (Would have won 12 straight as PAC 12 champ with schedule strength credit for playing/losing on last play to Auburn in non-con. Ohio State and Wisconsin played nobody in non-con.)

My two cents.

Q: Injury updates on the following and estimated return:

Jordan Whittington

Jeffrey McCulloch

Caden Sterns

Brandon Jones (is he playing this week?)

Josh Thompson

BJ Foster (are the coaches going to sit him to let him get healthy?)

Chris Brown

Marcus Tillman

Floyd (still to be re-evaluated in January?)

Derrian Brown (likely going on medical) - John Wayne1

RB Jordan Whittington (sports hernia surgery) - Should be back for Kansas State on Nov. 9.

LB Jeffrey McCulloch (dislocated shoulder) - Best-case scenario for return would be Kansas State or week-to-week after that.

S Caden Sterns (knee) - Expected back for Kansas State.

S/Nickel Brandon Jones (stinger) - Is a go for this week.

Nickel Josh Thompson (foot surgery) - Probably done for regular season.

S B.J. Foster (shoulder) - Game-time decision, but might only play this week if absolutely necessary.

S Chris Brown (fractured forearm) - Out six weeks, which probably means missing the rest of the regular season.

LB Marcus Tillman Jr. (knee) - Done for this season.

LB De'Gabriel Floyd (spinal stenosis) - Will be re-evaluated in January.

RB Derrian Brown (stroke) - Will be re-evaluated in January.

Q: Chip - How many of the Texas injuries are due to hard-hitting practices (Bloody Tuesday) that Tom Herman prides himself in? Is there any indication that he is dialing it back at all in response? - rob c

Every hit takes its toll. And some hits take a higher toll than others, obviously. Ask promising freshman linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr., who suffered a season-ending knee injury on the opening kickoff of the Oklahoma State game. Bottom line is the hits in both practice and games add up.

I’m told Herman dialed back the hitting in practice going into the OU game (by removing inside drill), and then returned the inside drill to practice for Kansas and TCU. The team still tackles in 11-on-11 on Tuesdays. But guys who are banged up do not take part in contact.

A lot of the defense’s shoulder/stinger/arm injuries (Jalen Green, Chris Brown, Jeffrey McCulloch, D’Shawn Jamison, B.J. Foster, DeMarvion Overshown) have come in the course of making high-speed, physical tackles with their arms extended while taking a damaging blow from the ball carrier at the same time.

Every Texas fan has enjoyed how physical Herman’s teams play, dating back to his two seasons at Houston. Some years are better than others in terms of injuries.

When Texas won the 2005 national title, only one starter missed one game (Brian Robison). Every other starter started every game.

Q: Will Tom Herman make the necessary shake ups with his staff before he loses the locker room? Reports of guys on campus negative recruiting and tensions between players and certain coaches are very troubling. Also why the hell was a walk-on put in the game over Tyler Owens or Kenyatta Watson? - TexasSquid

Unless there’s some kind of egregious behavior that gets public, a rules violation or crime committed, there will be no mid-season firings at Texas, I can virtually promise you that.

Herman will have to keep coaching up his coaches through a difficult time regarding injuries as well as the perception that there might be a disconnect occurring within the program.

The best way to calm all of that is to win. Going into an off-week Nov. 2, Texas needs a win Saturday at TCU … in a big way.

As far as why freshmen defensive backs Tyler Owens and Kenyatta Watson weren’t in the game in the fourth quarter as opposed to senior former walk-on Mason Ramirez, their position coaches obviously felt a veteran like Ramirez was more comfortable with the calls being made at that time of the game than the freshmen (who are both rising stars in the eyes of the coaches, but might not be there quite yet).

We know how many stars Owens and Watson had as recruits and that both are physical freaks when it comes to running and jumping. But we’re not at practice or in the film room with the coaches to see if the game has slowed down for them enough and to know if that was the right decision or not.

Q: Can you figure out what's going on with the kick receiving team? Can Tom Herman actually be giving the green light on this stuff? We've already seen so many numbskull decisions. We start this KU game receiving the ball, BUT D’Shawn Jamison ALMOST downs the kickoff (via fair catch) on the field of play, instead of letting the ball go out of bounds. Fortunately, the official ruled that he caught the ball AFTER it went out of bounds. - atxchip

The return game on Texas’ special teams has to get better. Period. All of it.

Q: Simple, specific question. Do you think we will stop the zone read QB keeper at all against TCU? Every opposing QB has successfully run that play against us - year-in and year-out. Of all the missed assignments on D, this one drives me crazy. - HornWarrior

Texas will undoubtedly see it Saturday against TCU. So, we’ll have our answer.

Q: Any word if Texas basketball will be playing in the PK 85 tournament in 2022? I know they participated in the PK 80 tournament in 2016. - ntbadger

No word yet.

Q: Not saying that anyone should or is getting fired, but I was curious to know how the coaching search process works. I know Rashad Samples was plucked away, so I was curious if there was someone within the Texas organization who is always looking for coaching talent like a recruiting director or if they just deal with it as need basis or previous connections. Thanks. - dbp0085

Every athletic director has a short list of head football coaching candidates in case something happens to theirs. And every football coach has a short list of potential assistant coaching replacements in case something happens to theirs. How those potential assistant replacements get on the list is from a myriad of ways - personal working relationship, recommended by trusted coaching connection, etc.

Q: Is a mid-season coaching change in the works with the defense? Any chance, Chris Ash joins the staff as co-DC? - TXnNY

As I answered in a previous question, no mid-season changes barring completely unexpected circumstances. The biggest development that needs to occur on defense is players need to get healthy.

Q: Do you think Jake Smith will be able to break tackles in the future like Devin Duvernay? - EarlThomas12

Smith is strong and put together a lot like Duvernay. I can that in Smith’s development.

Q:  Asking for an answer based on your reading of the pulse of that portion of the fan base that influences decision makers at Texas. Also take into consideration that, on this date next year, we may be realizing that Texas, post-Sam Ehlinger, likely will break in a QB in 2021 who will have never played any meaningful time in Tom Herman's system since almost every W Herman has coached has been in doubt far into the fourth quarter.

Question: Can Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte and UT president Greg Fenves give Herman one more season than Perrin/Fenves gave Charlie Strong if we don't get a Big 12 championship and OU victories at minimum next season? - uterra

Thanks for the question uterra, but unless it is revealed that Herman is completely mishandling the job internally, he’s going to serve out every bit of his current contract. 

Herman is coming off a 10-4 season with wins over OU and Georgia (in the Sugar Bowl) in Year 2 after taking over a program buried in a three-year, losing culture.

Herman has wins over every Big 12 team, and his worse loss at Texas to this point is a 17-point defeat in Year 1 at TCU in a season when TCU played for the Big 12 title. Charlie Strong took over a program that had gone 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5 the three previous seasons and suffered 11 losses of 18 points or more, including shutouts at K-State (23-0) and Iowa State (24-0) in his three seasons.

Herman has recruited back-to-back, top-three classes and appears to have quarterbacks lined up behind Ehlinger (Casey Thompson, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Jalen Milroe, etc.) as well as other top talent.

You usually fire a coach for two reasons: personal misconduct or poor performance.

Unless there is tangible evidence of either of those things, any talk of Herman going anywhere is wasted breath. 

Right?

Q: Thanks Chip. Please rank the following for Texas-TCU:

How will our OL fare against their DL when considering protection in the passing game and opening holes in the running game?

Also please compare our DL vs their OL for both pass rush and taking away the run. 

Will we be able to free up linebackers to help in pass rushing and also playing close to the line for stuffing their running game?

Maybe not quite a "Quick Reply" like the screen says. - hornybob

#1 … The Texas offensive line should be OK in pass protection but will have its hands full in opening holes in the running game against TCU defensive tackle Ross Blacklock. 

Would love to see Texas use a little more power and counter in the run game. OU makes a living off the counter in the run game and then creating other plays off of it, and Texas has guys up front who can pull. 

#2 and #3 … TCU has a veteran offensive line, and Texas’ defensive line does a decent job of occupying blockers, but the Horns’ linebackers have been very inconsistent in their run fits (as well as their ability to get home on blitzes. UT blitzed all three linebackers in the red zone against KU and QB Carter Stanley easily found a receiver behind them for a TD last week).

I’d like to see Todd Orlando use Juwan Mitchell or Byron Vaughns at Rover instead of Joseph Ossai to free up Ossai to rush the passer more. Ossai is the team’s best pass rusher, and we’re not getting to see it, because he’s all over the field at Rover. Coaches wanted DeMarvion Overshown to replace Gary Johnson at Rover, which would’ve freed up Ossai to play B-backer as a stand-up defensive end. But Overshown wanted to play safety. 

Coaches have to figure out a way to get Ossai into more pass-rushing situations. My two cents.