Aretha Franklin gravely ill?

sasquatch69

Posted to Facebook by Warren Zanes, brother of Dan Zanes (both of Del Fuegos) . . . Warren wrote the Tom Petty biography:

Warren Zanes

Aretha waived her fee to headline the Sam Cooke tribute I produced some years ago. That didn't mean it was cheap. Traveling light wasn't her thing. As she told me later, she did it for Sam. Solomon Burke was on the same show. He said he'd waive his fee also . . . if I could create a moment onstage during which he and Aretha would sing together. Likely he knew as well as I did that such a decision was not mine to make. It was Aretha's. And she hadn't even gotten back to me about which songs she'd be doing. I told her manager about Solomon's wish. No response. When the day of the event came, Aretha closed the show with a pure and beautiful performance. After that, Solomon was going to lead the many performers gathered in an encore of "A Change Is Gonna Come." We'd created a moving throne for Solomon that enabled us to get him on the stage pretty quickly. As he was being wheeled out, Aretha watched from a chair at the side of the stage. To our surprise, she didn't go back to her dressing room. Solomon went into the song. "I was born by the river . . ." It was gorgeous stuff. I watched Aretha watching Solomon. Then, a few lines in, I saw that Aretha had held onto her mic. And for whatever reason, it was still on. This still doesn't make sense. But there it was. With Solomon a verse in, Aretha still hidden at the side of the stage where the audience couldn't see her, she lifted the mic up and started singing with Solomon. For a few seconds, no one, including Solomon, knew where this voice was coming from. I just watched her, stunned. When it finally registered with Solomon, Aretha stood up, straightened her gown, and walked onto that stage. There were tears running down Solomon Burke's face. It may be the deepest musical moment I've ever witnessed. Solomon called me into his dressing room after the show, holding me to his chest and not letting go, thanking me. But I told him I couldn't take any credit. It was all Aretha. The next night, we did a gospel show, with Aretha opening. She wore a long robe with a golden cross on the back. Her contract said she'd do two songs. She walked onto the stage, kicked her shoes into the audience, and didn't leave until she'd done six of her favorites, like she was talking to God. Rest in Peace, Miss Franklin.

God dammit this sucks.  Saw her in concert a few years ago.  She came to play at the ACL theater for my birthday, it was fucking epic, even though she had them turn off the AC 8 hours before the show during summer time in Austin.  

My favorite story about Aretha is when she didn't let a little thing like technology or time get in the way of her feud with Dionne Warwick.  You said something she didn't like, she'll happily wait 5 years and then put your shit on blast via fax.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/aretha-franklin-dionne-warwick-shade

Finally, let's let her take us all to church one more time.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:39 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Every time I see that clip this room gets all dusty.  Fuck.  What an immense, immense talent.  One "immense" doesn't do her justice.  An absolute national . . . world . . . treasure.

Can you imagine having Aretha singing your song?  Cripes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Filling in for Luciano Pavarotti.  Let that resonate for a bit.  A (world class) soul and gospel female singer steps up at the last minute to replace an ailing (world class) operatic tenor.  

Aretha had some balls, that's for sure.

Posted another earlier, though not the same one.  It’s truly unreal.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Every time I see that clip this room gets all dusty.  Fuck.  What an immense, immense talent.  One "immense" doesn't do her justice.  An absolute national . . . world . . . treasure.

Can you imagine having Aretha singing your song?  Cripes.

You ain't lying'.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that clip, and I couldn't help get tears in my eyes as I listened.  I'm not sure I've ever had a voice move me to tears.

Songs, yes.  Lyrics, yes.  But that voice...holy shit.