¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

The county I'm in doesn't have a wide variety. Black snake, Rat Snakes, Racers and assorted garter types are plentiful. Go 1 county east or west and you get into the rattlesnakes and copperheads. I've never seen a venomous snake around home. It's a constant struggle to educate folks around here to not kill every snake they see. Same as it ever was.

My neighbor killed one in his back yard a few days ago (NE Austin). It was definitely a coral; "red touch yellow." I've never seen one outside of a zoo. 

Your neighbor is an asshole. Almost zero threat from a non-put viper like that. Should have relocated it if he had little kids.
  • Like 4

Killed a coral this morning.  Was inspecting a project in a residential neighborhood so it had to go.  If it’s in the woods I’ll only kill a rattlesnake or moccasin.  Corals really mind their own business so I felt a little guilty.  

it was good size too, about 18 inches long.

• Fuck You 1

So round pupils = ok, slit  pupil = venom?
any veracity to the story that hogs like to eat rattlers and that it's like a dinner bell, so selection has favored rattle snakes that don't use their rattles?  

Regarding pupils, kind of. Pit vipers have vertical, cat like pupils. However, coral snakes have round pupils. There are also some venomous snakes with vertical pupils that have such mild venom that they pose no threat to people.

13 hours ago, Treefidy said:

So round pupils = ok, slit  pupil = venom?

any veracity to the story that hogs like to eat rattlers and that it's like a dinner bell, so selection has favored rattle snakes that don't use their rattles?  

Round pupils is not accurate. Helpful, but most definitely not the rule. Why?

-elapids (coral snakes) have round pupils

-pit vipers have elliptical pupils MOST of the time, BUT AT NIGHT when they are trying to gather as much light as possible they can be round. Just like a cat. See the copperheads below

-other slightly venomous rear fanged snakes have elliptical pupils, or not

Do all poisonous snakes have narrow, slit-like pupils? - Quora

Any snake ID out there? - Page 3 - The Lodge - Fly TyingHow To Identify A Copperhead Snake? What You Need To Know

night snake

Texas Night Snake Facts and Pictures

Lyre snake

Trimorphodon biscutatus | The Reptile Database

cat eyed snake

Cat-eyed snake - Picture of Lookout Inn Lodge, Carate - Tripadvisor

also the hognose snake is rear fanged but it's venom is only significant if you are a frog

An Eastern Hognose snake showing it's rear fangs Stock Photo ...

It’s pretty entertaining when he just drops her out in the field in front of people who have never seen her.

Also kinda funny (since she’s ok now): earlier that day one of my other neighbors had said “Uh, what if she just crawls away?”

Ed: “It will never happen.”

On 4/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, CHIEF said:

I've been lucky enough to see two. One was when I was on a walk with Mrs. CHIEF down to the waterfall on Bull Creek right off of 360. The other one was up at Stillhouse Hollow one time. I feel pretty lucky, apparently coral snake sightings are really rare in central Texas.

CHIEF

It's funny you say that.  I live out in Driftwood and have seen a few in the 8 years we've been out here.  But 3 days ago one slithered right past my dog's foot and into the brush as he was taking a shit (the dog, not the snake).  Couldn't have been more than 3 feet from me and I didn't notice it until it moved.  Then within 48 hours, there were 2 posts on Nextdoor of coral snakes in people's yards.  Dumbasses killed them.  That of course incited a pissing match.

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pretty good snek day. After looking all week for a hognose, I finally found one. Also saw a plain bellies watersnake and a rough earth snake.

PgaqADJH_o.jpeg

IfYuZjGO_o.jpeg

ZIDyryPS_o.jpeg

The wife and I were out walking the other day and we came across the biggest hognose I have ever seen. Of course neither of us had our phones so no pics. Another couple was walking by and the dude looks at it and starts freaking out telling us to get back. "Thats a water moccasin!!!" I tried to explain to the ignorant bastard what a water moccasin actually looks like but he wasn't buying it. I told him to google a hognose.  Stupid fucking people everywhere.

• Like 1