Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Maybe the most tedious thing after a loss like this is the recurrent “we-need-to-cheat-more” theme.
We didn’t get out-chested by TCU. We can’t cheat our way to better ball security, special teams, and defensive game planning 

It’s not about just beating the TCUs or Big 12 opponents of the world. It’s about competing with the Ohio States, clemsons, and Alabama’s 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why is CDC even being discussed. He didn't hire Herman. Or Smart. Which one of you wants to go get knee deep in a river of shit like CDC is right now with a check book that has yellow tape all over it? I feel bad for him if anything. 

Now, if he screws up the next 2 hires THEN you can begin the "part of the problem" talk.

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

It’s not about just beating the TCUs or Big 12 opponents of the world. It’s about competing with the Ohio States, clemsons, and Alabama’s 

Still true. That's a false choice. Programmatic cheating is corrosive to the institution. Maybe that doesn't matter at apostrophe college, but we're Texas. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Still true. That's a false choice. Programmatic cheating is corrosive to the institution. Maybe that doesn't matter at apostrophe college, but we're Texas. 

Ohio State is a good school. It hasn't gotten any worse because of their football team. Probably better, actually. Same with Clemson.

It kind of works like this: more football success > more applicants > more students on campus OR lower acceptance rate > a more selective student body > more tuition money > more academic spending.

If you think the professors with tenure or ESL grad students studying engineering give a fuck about the football program idk what to tell you. Or that questions like "What do you think about Dabo's alleged steroid program?" come up in first job interviews in Charlotte.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just heard a Dr Pepper Fansville commercial.

"There is only one season, football season, and every day is Saturday."

Can you imagine a worse hell than having to experience a Tom Herman s***show against a team we are favored to be by 10+ every single day?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I thought this thread was about firing or not firing Tom Herman. From the last few pages it seems like everyone just shares the same conclusion? Herman is out at Texas? Completely irredeemable?

Herman has lost the fanbase. Whatever benefit of the doubt/hope that came with the revamped staff has been thrown out the window based on the way we played against Tech and TCU. This is as good as it gets 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It kind of works like this: more football success > more applicants > more students on campus OR lower acceptance rate > a more selective student body > more tuition money > more academic spending.

Truth.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  When I was in HS we sucked and Aggy was pretty good.  And if you looked in the back of the yearbook for those 4 years, most every Senior going off to college was headed to College Station.

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

Truth.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  When I was in HS we sucked and Aggy was pretty good.  And if you looked in the back of the yearbook for those 4 years, most every Senior going off to college was headed to College Station.

Thing is, though, top 6-8-10% is doing great (or other, depending on your perspective) things to our acceptance rate.  I'm not sure our football team is going to really affect that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Herman has lost the fanbase. Whatever benefit of the doubt/hope that came with the revamped staff has been thrown out the window based on the way we played against Tech and TCU. This is as good as it gets 

This. I can only speak for myself but I have zero faith, trust or confidence that Herman can get it done at Texas. I also believe that CDC should be dragged into it, he is letting Shaka die on the vine, Herman to continue to lead the nation in falling down vs unranked teams and ultimately if he has hopes of having the expanded stadium and new basketball arena remotely full he needs to start focusing less on the facilities and more on getting the absolute best coaches and fucking demanding results from them.

Until I see CDC make moves he is just a guy who enjoys fund raising but is ok with 3-4 losses a year from football and a sub par basketball team.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Truth.

There's actually a name for this- the Flutie Effect.  The year after he won the Heisman, apps to BC soared.

As far as my caption entry- "hey Tom, can you please shave next year?  The stubble is hell on my nuts"

On 10/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, Huckleberry said:

I wonder if Herman's downfall will bring @closetojumping back. He argued immediately that he would bet Herman would fail. I think he said it's because he'd met him and been around him and Herman was a guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room but clearly wasn't. 

Rings pretty true right now.

Just catching up to stuff from the weekend, but yeah. Anyone who has actually met this guy and had conversations with him, they'd agree unless they're also saddled with a room temperature IQ. Herman is a meathead and a dumbass, who is also unfortunately scared of his own shadow and coaches like it. He's in way over his head and it isn't getting fixed at Texas. 

I mentioned this around bowl season, I think, but I have a friend who played at Kentucky with Neal Brown. He went up to watch WVU play last fall and got to hang out with Brown for the weekend with some other former teammates as well. At some point, they got Brown going about his first impressions of the other coaches in the league. He said that Herman came across as easily the biggest dumbass of the lot and one of the more arrogant. Also said Gary Patterson is a grade a dickhead, but I digress.

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on Brown as a coach, and I don't know whether he's intelligent or not. These are guys with no UT axe to grind bullshitting and my friend passing it on. It's just a data point, but it matches my own experience. I have a generally low opinion of coaches and their intelligence in the first place, so it's never good to deal with one coaching a team I love who is actually so clueless that he doesn't even realize he's not smart enough to outsmart anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thing is, though, top 6-8-10% is doing great (or other, depending on your perspective) things to our acceptance rate.  I'm not sure our football team is going to really affect that.  

Yeah it's not the 80s.  With the current rules we have in place for admissions at Texas, football success isn't correlated to academic success or better incoming classes.  

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure our football team is going to really affect that.  

Uh... yeah. That's the point. Texas doesn't need football to be an academic powerhouse, nor will it lose any academic standing or reputation if it comes out that players were getting paid or coaches were covering up DV. The venn diagram there is extremely thin at a school like Texas. 

Aside from a being a plus recruiter relative to his Big 12 peers, Herman is not adding any value. And even the recruiting is fading as the 4-5 loss seasons pile up. Look at the impressive OL and WR recruiting whiffs. This is only going to get worse, and we are now in a position of a deteriorating football program while trying to open up a massive new South Endzone revamp.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Ohio State is a good school. It hasn't gotten any worse because of their football team. Probably better, actually. Same with Clemson.

If you think the professors with tenure or ESL grad students studying engineering give a fuck about the football program idk what to tell you. Or that questions like "What do you think about Dabo's alleged steroid program?" come up in first job interviews in Charlotte.

Good post - and for what it's worth, I didn't mean those schools are programmatically cheating. I have no idea. the point as that the choice between winning and broad based cheating is false, and widespread cheating seems to yield both scandal and shitty results over time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

bend over betch

It's baffling how much he owns Texas. He's lost to SMU as many times as he's lost to Texas in the past 16 years. Probably would have lost again this year had we played. It's like Michigan against tOSU level ineptitude.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He said that Herman came across as easily the biggest dumbass of the lot and one of the more arrogant. Also said Gary Patterson is a grade a dickhead, but I digress. 

Smug and arrogant assholes are fine if they're producing more in the left-hand column than the right. 

Smug and arrogant assholes who resort to cute schtick and gimmicks, whose teams are penalty ridden, excel in ineptness, exhibit a lack of discipline and all-too-often seem to go left when the correct way is right, well, that's a recipe for a shit storm.     

But I'm sure at today's presser Herman will tell everyone that, no, you're wrong and he's right. 

Bottom line, Herman is lost.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Wrong. If he decides not to fire Herman at the end of this season, after extending his contract in the same year he lost to Maryland, lost the ccg and beat KU by 7 then CDC is a part of the problem. Not his hire, but CDC sure is empowering Herman at this point by going with the all new staff path just last year that some of us knew would result in exactly Jack shit.

Well, as Huck pointed out, contract extensions are normal and necessary to create the illusion of continuity for recruiting purposes.  Adding guaranteed money (increasing or maintaining the "buyout') is pretty inexplicable, though.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as Huck pointed out, contract extensions are normal and necessary to create the illusion of continuity for recruiting purposes.  Adding guaranteed money (increasing or maintaining the "buyout') is pretty inexplicable, though.

Yeah the fact that both Shaka and Herman got extensions that didn't reduce buyouts were maddening.  One of the best business schools in the country and our Athletics Department admin. can't figure out how to negotiate contracts. 

The buyout is the only issue beyond CDC holding out faint hope that one of the worst decisions by a Texas AD ever (the Herman extension) will look better if Herman turns it around a bit.  Herman appears to be almost universally loathed, which is very rare.  Even the shittiest coaches and human beings usually have some diehard supporters.  Unfortunately under current circumstances, the buyout is probably enough for him to stay on another year.    

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

We should beat Kansas and Baylor. OSU, ISU and K State are all losses. West Virginia is a toss up  

At this point I'm not giving any team a pass against this team. They're all toss-ups to me. Our defense makes every qb look like a combo of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning miraculously 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Words and shit
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

There is one here, but he's a sock or new account after a ban? for a special idiot that doesn't really deserve this mention.

On the buy out, I made the point in detail already, but Athletics is going to lose a lot of money if Herman returns in the long and short term in season ticket sales, contracts, TV views and basic fucking interest in Texas football.

Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money. If it's done right and Urban or Dabo come, and win quick which Urban has certainly shown multiple times, the spice will flow.

It's only a good move to fire Herman if CDC is committed to a real actual winning coach with the resume and trophies to prove it. Not another project hopeful.

It's time for CDC to put up or shut up.

One path will renew my, many Longhorns and the nation's interest.

The other paths are the same old same old, and are very very bad for the future of Texas Football and Texas sports in general.

To counter this, Texas survived with shit football from approximately 1977 to 1997.  Granted, it is a different environment today than it was then.

Strangely, a lot of athletics related revenue, i.e. licensing of gear, seems to survive downturns quite well.

We're only 10ish years into this period of extended suckitude.

Edited by TwiceHorn

This Saturday are the games tom uses to make the higher ups believe he is the guy. Tom seems do well in the “bigger” games ou, LSU, bowl games(Georgia, Missouri, Utah). I have no doubt our game Saturday will be competitive and we might even win and he will have that shit eating grin on his face like he’s a genius and we are all dummies. Then we get a week off and host Baylor and we will look like we haven’t practiced at all, missing tackles, starting the game off with a delay of game, dropping passes, etc. fuck I’m getting ragey just posting how I think we will look.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Texas survived with shit football from approximately 1977 to 1997. 

Almost winning 2 national championships is shit football? Sign me up for some shit football, then. 

Also 11-8-2 against OU in those 21 years. God that would be downright refreshing compared to the past 11 seasons. 

Edited by ztejas

They aren't firing him this year unless we have a losing record and even then, like Shaka, he gets a mulligan year because of Covid. The AD doesn't have the money to buy him out unless the donors pony up the 20 million to do so. Why would you give enough of a shit right now to waste 20 million of your own money?

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas