Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

‘09 was a funny team. Every time i expected them to be jacked up and ready to go (tech, Oklahoma, aggy, Nebraska) they’d struggle and then the games i thought they might struggle (@ Mizzou, @ OSU) they’d just blow teams away. 

I doubt I’ll ever do 11 games in person in a season again so that one will always be memorable, even with the awful ending. 

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

The Colt teams and the Sam teams had a very different culture, in my opinion. The team that Colt inherited didn’t know how to lose, for lack of a better word. You see that often with teams that become elite. Mid-90s Nebraska, early 2000s Miami, Leinart’s USC. It’s not that those teams were invincible, but they were very hard to put away. The 2009 horns was a very good example of that mindset: they scratched, clawed, and stumbled their way to the MNC game. What Sam started with was basically the polar opposite of that: a team that didn’t know how to win, and they are still learning that.

I always think to the Kobe Bryant quote to Dwight Howard about how you have to learn to be a champion. I feel like VY's and Colt's team had that mentality, they unlocked the cheat. It was Colts body that failed him, but he knew how to turn it on and not lose otherwise.

I'm hoping this game against Tech was the same thing for Sam's team. You have to do shit like this to prove to yourself that you know how to win. I hope that's a culture game that taught the guys that they can win if they don't give up.

Thing about Sam, he was baptized in the culture of those winning years. His formative years at a person was spent watching winning Texas teams. The dude is a super fan foremost, I bet the guy could school all our asses on longhorn lore. I feel like he rules, because he was taught how to be a winner in the VY and Colt McCoy era.

Edited by BigXII

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He might be statistically, but it’s a different era. He’s not as good as either of those guys, but he’s a great college QB and one of my favorite UT players ever. He has one of the best stories ever too. Singing the Eyes of Texas from birth, his dad passing away at an early age, becoming the man of the house, fulfilling his life long dream of being the UT QB. I want so badly for him to win a championship at UT, and he stayed committed to the program during a pretty rough time. I don’t even want to think where we’d be the last 4 years without him.  

The guy is a tremendous leader as he showed on Saturday. I think most of our team had given up besides him, but he willed the team to victory. 

The display on Saturday made me sick for a number of reasons, but the feeling that we are going to completely waste Sam aside from an awesome Sugar Bowl is top of the list.  

Vince and Colt had incredible defenses. Somehow that always slips people’s minds.

I would rank our top 5 modern qb’s in order as Vince, Colt, Sam, Major, Sims.

The top 3 are guys you feel will always keep you in the game no matter how shitty things get. Applewhite almost in that category but he was just limited physically. Sims sucked in big games but didn’t ever lose the easy ones.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think we have to be careful here.  I'll admit I don't know in what ways Sam has passed Vince, but if we look at rushing, at this point Sam has almost exactly the same number of attempts that Vince had in his career, and the results are distinctly different:

Vince Young:  457 rushes for 3,127 yards (6.84 ypc)

Sam Ehlinger:  460 rushes for 1,607 yards (3.49 ypc)

Yes, Vince ran behind better lines, but he also created a lot of that yardage on his own.

They are almost identical in passer rating (146.3 to 144.9).  Sam has far more passing touchdowns (78 to 44), yards (9,558 to 6,040) and fewer interceptions (23 to 28), with a higher completion percentage (63.7 to 61.8).  Vince had slightly higher yards per attempt (8.4 to 7.8).  So, I'd say this backs up my assertion that Sam is a better passer than VY was, but not as good with his feet.  Overall, I've never seen a college quarterback or even a college player who had more "it" than Vince Young, and while Sam has a lot of "it", he doesn't have THAT much.  That's subjective.

Colt was a significantly better passer than either Sam or Vince, with a higher career rating (155.0), yardage (13,253 in 4 years), TDs (112 in 4 years), and completion percentage (70.3).  Sam is a physically stronger runner than Colt was, but the stats are pretty equal (3.5 ypc at equal attempts).  Again, Colt had a somewhat better line.

Like I said, I'll take a Sam Ehlinger any year going forward.  I just don't think he's quite in that Vince/Colt league.

Sam did this with 3 different coordinators and a shit o-line.   Colt's O-line was mediocre.   VY's was good.  

22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say Sam is at the same level as Vince or Colt.  Both of those guys should have won the Heisman Trophy.  Sam is a stronger runner than Colt, who was no slouch, and a slightly better passer than Vince, who was underrated, but I don't think his arm or his legs put him quite in their rare air.  I'm still glad he's here, he's easily the best we've had since Colt.

THIS! Biggest Heisman snubs of all time. Haven't cared about the Heisman since Vince and then Colt were both robbed of the trophy.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, BigXII said:

Colt started out pretty damn hot. Second play of his career was a 50+ yard td pass. We got stomped by Ohio State but for a baby faced freshman Colt looked decent in the game. We were in the MNC hunt his freshman year, if it wasn't for Colt getting hurt in the K-State game I'm confident we would have won the conference and probably gone on to the title game. Upsets happened the same day we lost to K-state, which would have put Texas at #3, with Michigan and Ohio State as #2 and #1 with a meeting the following week.

People obviously didn't think he could be the next VY, but pretty quickly Colt won people over. He had a really serious sophomore slump, though, and went in to his junior year pretty quietly. It wasn't until the OU game 2008 that Colt McCoy became a star in the national picture. But by that point, most Texas fans were already pretty much sold on Colt.

I remember the summer between Colt and Vince, telling my roommate at the time, "wouldn't it be crazy if when it was all said and done, we'd be looking back saying 'The only QB who could possibly follow Vince Young, was Colt McCoy?'"

Sam Ehlinger's early game at USC gave me Colt McCoy freshman flashbacks. Not in the style of football they play, but just that general "this dude is a winner" vibe.

Thing is, even including VY, until you win it all, there will always be naysayers. Shit, there are still naysayers about Colt McCoy. "He never won." The summer before the title year, people were still talking about how Vince Young would never be a competent passer, how we almost lost to Kansas, etc. You have to win to shut people up. People look back at VY and Colt with a lot more rose tinted glasses overall because of hindsight. There are always haters.

And we still won 10 games that season. And I remember being pissed off about the 2007 season for so long in the offseason. Especially that A&M game in College Station (I was there). 

We didn't know how good we had it.

7 hours ago, hornian said:

And we still won 10 games that season. And I remember being pissed off about the 2007 season for so long in the offseason. Especially that A&M game in College Station (I was there). 

We didn't know how good we had it.

That feeling is how it should always feel for our seasons. I’d give anything to have that kind of feeling back with our program than any other feeling I’ve had since 2010

Edited by Bevo VIII

I remember when Texas ran through that string of top 10/5 opponents in 2008 and seemed legitimately unbeatable. Even the tech game they lost, it gets forgotten, but Colt had just lead an insane comeback right before that final fateful drive. If Texas would have won that game, that moment would have hands down sealed up the Heisman for Colt. He should have won it anyways.

I remember wishing Mizzou hadn't lost the same day OU did to Texas, because it would have made Mizzou the new #1, meaning Texas would have played (and smashed) two #1s back to back. Instead we had to settle for two top 10s in consecutive weeks (which ultimately became four top tens in a row, or three top 5s in 4 weeks).

Edited by BigXII

On 9/29/2020 at 12:37 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

Maybe, but that was almost entirely gone after the last part of the '04 season, particularly after the Michigan Rose Bowl. I feel like nobody doubted Vince's greatness anymore after that game. 

True, but the earlier post makes a good point. We lost 12-0 against OU in 2004, followed by a lackluster showing against Mizzou at DKR in which Vince got benched. I remember assembling at a buddy’s house prior to the next game (vs Tech in Lubbock) and one of our crew saying before the game “Guys, give me a reason to be excited about this team”. Vince lit up Tech that night, and the next 20 games were fucking glorious....

7 hours ago, BigXII said:

I remember when Texas ran through that string of top 10/5 opponents in 2008 and seemed legitimately unbeatable. Even the tech game they lost, it gets forgotten, but Colt had just lead an insane comeback right before that final fateful drive. If Texas would have won that game, that moment would have hands down sealed up the Heisman for Colt. He should have won it anyways.

I remember wishing Mizzou hadn't lost the same day OU did to Texas, because it would have made Mizzou the new #1, meaning Texas would have played (and smashed) two #1s back to back. Instead we had to settle for two top 10s in consecutive weeks (which ultimately became four top tens in a row, or three top 5s in 4 weeks).

Kansas upsetting Missouri and Colorado choking late against Nebraska turned enough computers against Texas to give OU the spot. Not too mention Baylor blowing a big lead over Tech as well.

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Kansas upsetting Missouri and Colorado choking late against Nebraska turned enough computers against Texas to give OU the spot. Not too mention Baylor blowing a big lead over Tech as well.

There were also Stoops lackeys voting texas down into like the 20's in the poll to further affect the ranking.

We basically let the country vote us out of a conference championship because of how stupidly the Big 12 rules were.

35 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Imagine Georgia with Justin fields this year. Kirby is kicking the shit out of himself over that decision. Probably banged Fromms mom for the starting position. And I don't blame him since I am a guy and I have seen her.

“Your momma sure does care about your schoolin’, son.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

doing family stuff today. is sam injured at all?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not injured at all. He’s been all over the place, a few great throws mixed in with some not awesome ones. Threw a big time pick at the end of the half. Largely Moore’s fault due to his shitty route but wasn’t a great decision by Sam either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Helobious said:

Not injured at all. He’s been all over the place, a few great throws mixed in with some not awesome ones. Threw a big time pick at the end of the half. Largely Moore’s fault due to his shitty route but wasn’t a great decision by Sam either. 

it was 100% Moore's fault, don't be a dumb fuck

thanks man

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk