Time to Talk Dressing

NeverMarryAStripper

On 11/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

after all you mentioned (and doubling the recipe), my mom...now the family...adds a whole smoked pork roast (plus the drippings), a whole smoked chicken (again, plus the drippings,l homemade wild pork andouille and 2 pints of Savoie's Dirty Rice Mix.  we top it off with homemade goose liver and goose giblet gravy.

I would drive cross country for a (generous) serving of this.  

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re gotdamn right.

And those of y’all shitting on oyster dressing best step the fuck OFF.

My mother is a NOLA native daughter of a long NOLA line. Her oyster dressing has been on our table at tgiving my whole life.

And one of the best things in the world is that Holiday duck/goose hunt on the Friday or Saturday after. A chunk of cold oyster dressing with your coffee for breakfast in the truck, predawn on the way to the hunt...well, that’s the fuckin’ good stuff, that’s what that is.

So you're half black?  

On 11/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, pepper brooks said:

I use Rabidoux andouille as my base.  Brown that off, cook the onions, celery, garlic in the grease, and go from there with the cornbread, stock, herbs.  

THIS.  Only deviation for me is that I use andouille from The Sausage Link, in Sulphur, LA.

Also, someone asked about cornbread recipes.  Basic cornbread with butter milk, flour, cornmeal, eggs is always great.  The key part is the technique.

My method for years now is to put about 1/4” of oil in the baking dish/cast iron skillet.  Place that in the oven while it pre-heats and you make the batter.  Once the oven is up to 400 degrees, take the hot ass oil pan out of the oven and dump the batter in.  You get to fry AND bake it at the same time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scottsins said:

THIS.  Only deviation for me is that I use andouille from The Sausage Link, in Sulphur, LA.

Also, someone asked about cornbread recipes.  Basic cornbread with butter milk, flour, cornmeal, eggs is always great.  The key part is the technique.

My method for years now is to put about 1/4” of oil in the baking dish/cast iron skillet.  Place that in the oven while it pre-heats and you make the batter.  Once the oven is up to 400 degrees, take the hot ass oil pan out of the oven and dump the batter in.  You get to fry AND bake it at the same time.

The hot oil trick is key.  A cup of biscuit mix with the cornmeal makes for some magical cornbread as well. 

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Is there any reason not to use bacon grease instead of vegetable oil in the pan? Because that seems like a good idea to me

No. No reason at all. It's called innovation. Exploration in search of something better. It's why the Pilgrims came here in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

This...or even throw it in a waffle iron and top the waffle with turkey and gravy and even cranberry sauce.

You magnificent bastard!  You have inspired a new post Thanksgiving breakfast tradition at our house.  So simple.  So good. 

Started as a 2"x3" piece of dressing.  Knifed it a bit to get it to lay down in the waffle iron.  Yes!

.UMw8dd7ing-V5bcq-OYe9xdz8sf5-Ul7i-MWXWx-

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 11/16/2018 at 1:25 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

For cornbread in dressing
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup melted shorting

Grease your iron skillet with the shortening and put the rest in the batter

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes

NMAS I'm going to give this dressing a run for tomorrow's meal. Need to prep it tonight because I'm going mobile with the trailer in the morning. Do you suggest I bake it tonight, refrigerate and warm it up when it's time to eat tomorrow afternoon or mix it together and bake it at my host's house before serving?

Edited by Baboontyme

On 11/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

man, bullshit on that.

that's the basic, but yours is the equivalent of baby formula.

after all you mentioned (and doubling the recipe), my mom...now the family...adds a whole smoked pork roast (plus the drippings), a whole smoked chicken (again, plus the drippings,l homemade wild pork andouille and 2 pints of Savoie's Dirty Rice Mix.  we top it off with homemade goose liver and goose giblet gravy.

step up your game, and tell your Aunt Bea or your grandma or whoever fucking hen roams your halls to go ahead bring her gotdamn knife to my gun fight.  

Oh my God, I need a hug. 

You magnificent bastard!  You have inspired a new post Thanksgiving breakfast tradition at our house.  So simple.  So good. 
Started as a 2"x3" piece of dressing.  Knifed it a bit to get it to lay down in the waffle iron.  Yes!
.UMw8dd7ing-V5bcq-OYe9xdz8sf5-Ul7i-MWXWx-LBIT62c-Sez-kgn-ESEDO8-DCDs-KDp04-Fc-Wz-Tgrmy-Zmgtf-NQ1wi-7c-Lcybp-Hw-Uu5-Zj-YOIm-MVEP2acx5g-Efe-YQv-Qn-Sj-Zfsi-Puv2a-Pw-Bbpp5thy-B-Maw7c-QId-QOt-FWdb0kmhvc2-OOcjw2-UJ38-Ef-Pc-KP0ma-C-J3l-UP5-PZ08b-VSWH7q-Nh-C6qtxjv-9-Wli-Fs-Mvg-Z-nd-Spd69-N4a-DHq-Ivc4ealkkh-FTg-IF.jpg

Mouth.is.watering. Looks good!
  • Like 1

So...I haven't made my turkey yet. I cut out the neck and back bone to 'cock it. Didn't get the giblets (wife picked it up from the farm and guessing she refused). I wanted some stock to use for the stuffing/dressing and gravy but I didn't want to cook the entire neck. Tl;Dr my stock is underwhelming and watery after simmering for almost 2 hours. Any tips for quick fix flavoring? Chicken bullion powder?

So...I haven't made my turkey yet. I cut out the neck and back bone to 'cock it. Didn't get the giblets (wife picked it up from the farm and guessing she refused). I wanted some stock to use for the stuffing/dressing and gravy but I didn't want to cook the entire neck. Tl;Dr my stock is underwhelming and watery after simmering for almost 2 hours. Any tips for quick fix flavoring? Chicken bullion powder?
Yep. Better than bullion is great. Or just use canned stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Did somebody say dressing?

1) In butter, sautee mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion, a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage: Maybe some chipotle in adobo sauce.

2) Add some creamed corn, frozen corn, and goat cheese.

3) Mix in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas, and mix lightly because you don't want to overly break up the cornbread.

4) Add stock and mix until it achieves your preferred level of gloppiness

5) Add cut up tamale pieces - I strongly prefer pork tamales from HEB because they are dense enough to hold together. 

6) Cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.

7) "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly"  - Ernest Hemingway cocktail recipe, Death in the Afternoon

7) Uncover! Bake for another 20 mins at 400

8. Cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.

Stuff

imgur

Cut up the veggies and mix with some adobo sauce
imgur

Melt butter and get it going 
imgur

imgur

Meanwhile crumble up cornbread and mix with herbs, seasonings etc
imgur

Then mix in the vegetables and butter
imgur

Cut these up like so
imgur

imgur

Now add stock to the mix and make glop to your desired consistency
imgur

AFTER that, fold in the Tamale chunks gently so as to not break them up, transfer to a heavily buttered or greased casserole dish (no pics), cook and 

Business time
imgur

Any chance you have measurements on things?

Did somebody say dressing?

1) In butter, sautee mustard seeds, cominos, a couple of japs, two poblanos, two red bells, an onion, a head of garlic, some celery, rosemary, thyme, and sage: Maybe some chipotle in adobo sauce.

2) Add some creamed corn, frozen corn, and goat cheese.
3) Mix in with some stale cornbread and crushed tostadas, and mix lightly because you don't want to overly break up the cornbread.
4) Add stock and mix until it achieves your preferred level of gloppiness
5) Add cut up tamale pieces - I strongly prefer pork tamales from HEB because they are dense enough to hold together. 

6) Cover, bake for 45 mins at 325.
7) "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five of these slowly"  - Ernest Hemingway cocktail recipe, Death in the Afternoon

7) Uncover! Bake for another 20 mins at 400

8. Cover it back up, refrigerate overnight. Reheat at 350, covered, for 50 mins, and uncovered for 425 for 15.

Stuff
imgur

Cut up the veggies and mix with some adobo sauce
imgur

Melt butter and get it going 
imgur

imgur

Meanwhile crumble up cornbread and mix with herbs, seasonings etc
imgur

Then mix in the vegetables and butter
imgur

Cut these up like so
imgur

imgur

Now add stock to the mix and make glop to your desired consistency
imgur

AFTER that, fold in the Tamale chunks gently so as to not break them up, transfer to a heavily buttered or greased casserole dish (no pics), cook and 

Business time
imgur

The ingredient measurements I wrote down years ago by request

butter - 1 Stick
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp cominos
1 large onion. 1015 is the onion of Texas and therefore the best onion
2-3 Jalapeños
2 poblanos
2 red bells
1 head garlic
2-3 stalks of celery (opt)
One chipotle in adobo sauce, minced (opt)
1 small container crumbled goat cheese
1 tbsp each sage rosemary thyme
1 bunch chopped cilantro, de-stemmed
1/2 small bag frozen corn
2/3 can cream corn
1.5 cups crumbled tostadas - I like the thick HEB homestyle kind
1 recipe cornbread, at least a day old
A dozen HEB pork tamales cut into 1 inch chunks
2+ cups of warm chicken stock to go in last, start with 1.5 cups and add as necessary in small amounts.

See pics above for process.

• 1 year later...

Herbed Stuffing Mix

Cornbread Stuffing Mix

Cubed Stuffing Mix

Sage Breakfast Sausage

3 links of Boudin - casing removed

Onion

Celery

Garlic

Rubbed Sage

Garlic Powder

Olive Oil/Butter/Bacon Grease (use fat of choice)

Salt & Pepper

Turkey or Chicken Broth

2 eggs

Brown Sausage. Remove to big bowl.  Add Boudin, breakup and brown up to get crispy bits. Remove to big bowl.  Add fat of choice and sauté diced onion and celery for 6-8 minutes.  Add minced garlic.  Add some Sage and Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper.  Remove to big bowl.  Add the 3 stuffing mixes.  Add Broth and mix, adding more broth until you reach the consistency you like.  Add a little at a time while mixing.  Can always add more, but hard to take out.  Taste now for seasoning and adjust as needed.  Scramble eggs in a separate bowl and add to big bowl.  Mix until incorporated.  Pour into butter greased dish.  Bake uncovered at 350-375 for 30-45 minutes.  If top is getting dark, cover with foil.  Let rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No sausage in our vegan dressing, but it is very good. Mixing ingredients in her grandpa’s 110 year old crockery pot. Baked in glass pan, then divided into these 7” aluminum pans for family curbside carryout on Thursday. Two days “aging” in the fridge enhances the tastiness. They can reheat it at home to be drenched in their own preferred gravy.

0F1C9F9B-242C-4D26-9DA9-203D320F93EB.jpeg

2F203975-3D41-4361-AF03-23C11DDD377B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1