Engineer says F package thieves, makes a glitter booby trap

AUS-97HORN

I thought about bear mace, but I think that might be considered causing actual injury and open you to litigation.

You can't put an actual bomb on your porch that kills someone that tries to steal it, which would be the extreme version of bear mace. It would be justice though, these people are stealing kids Christmas presents, it's fucking disgusting.

I had two packages containing four of my daughter’s presents taken Saturday. The tracking said they were delivered at 2:53 and we got home from visiting grandma at 3:45. When I checked the tracking online, amazon had a picture of them sitting on my front porch. It’s all very frustrating and maddening. I could replace two of the items, but the other two are out of stock until after Christmas. I’m beginning to think if I actually caught one of these fucksticks in the act that I might actually kill them in the heat of the moment. I’m having the replacements delivered to one of the amazon lockers that’s not far from my house to see how that works. Anyway, those piece of shit, douchebag, scum sucking, oozing vagina licking, fuckwads suck more than OU.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I had two packages containing four of my daughter’s presents taken Saturday. The tracking said they were delivered at 2:53 and we got home from visiting grandma at 3:45. When I checked the tracking online, amazon had a picture of them sitting on my front porch. It’s all very frustrating and maddening. I could replace two of the items, but the other two are out of stock until after Christmas. I’m beginning to think if I actually caught one of these fucksticks in the act that I might actually kill them in the heat of the moment. I’m having the replacements delivered to one of the amazon lockers that’s not far from my house to see how that works. Anyway, those piece of shit, douchebag, scum sucking, oozing vagina licking, fuckwads suck more than OU.

I support capital punishment for package theft, but let's not go crazy.

FWIW, many of these types of videos are usually staged/fake. It started with those fishing line bike thief videos years ago, and people realized how easy vids like this go viral. Led to a mini-industry of "assholes getting instant justice" videos. To get the best reactions and most views they're usually staged, hence all the "thieves" narrating what's happening and stuff. 

I'm very popular at parties. 

• Haha 1

There's a couple in Houston who had their house broken into, the thieves took the urn which held the ashes of their 9 month old son. Heartbreaking what these idiots do and do not realize. They think only for themselves and that they are just taking things that will be of value to them. They have no concept of the pain and how much they violate a person.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dewey said:

There's a couple in Houston who had their house broken into, the thieves took the urn which held the ashes of their 9 month old son. Heartbreaking what these idiots do and do not realize. They think only for themselves and that they are just taking things that will be of value to them. They have no concept of the pain and how much they violate a person.

She was a friend of mine at UT. Unconscionable.

14 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

you can skip to the 5:20 mark to see the 5 or so thieves get their comeuppance if you want immediate action.

or you can watch the whole thing as this guy explains how he spent 6 months working up this contraption. and how it uploads itself to the cloud in case the thieves keep it.

Fucking love this...Karma to the next level

1 hour ago, woohorn said:

Keep in mind that the punks know where he lives.

It would be pretty damned stupid for a punk to try to get revenge against a dude a whole lot smarter than they are. The next trap might not be so benign, and legal if the engineer could prove he was protecting himself from physical harm.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

It would be pretty damned stupid for a punk to try to get revenge against a dude a whole lot smarter than they are. The next trap might not be so benign, and legal if the engineer could prove he was protecting himself from physical harm.

Then he can't disguise it as a mail parcel

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh they're not that bright for sure, but smart enough to trash somebodies house at night or their car sitting in a driveway.   Hell, high school kids have those smarts.

Somebody sophisticated enough to come up with that glitter bomb package should easily be able prepare a vigilant non-lethal “welcome” for any potential vandal. Not to mention Florida and other states have the Stand Your Ground laws...... if it escalated to that point.

just sayin’.

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

FWIW, many of these types of videos are usually staged/fake. It started with those fishing line bike thief videos years ago, and people realized how easy vids like this go viral. Led to a mini-industry of "assholes getting instant justice" videos. To get the best reactions and most views they're usually staged, hence all the "thieves" narrating what's happening and stuff. 

I'm very popular at parties. 

My son has been watching this guy's channel for a long time.  He's not that kind of guy.  Usually builds fun things.  Was an engineer at Nasa and worked on the Curiosity Rover project.

6 hours ago, woohorn said:

Keep in mind that the punks know where he lives.

Door knock

"Hi, I'm the guy who stole that package from your front lawn? Yeah. I just wanted to... hey, who are you calling? No need to get the police involved, I was just saying 'hi.' Hey, whoa, put the gun down, man, I just wanted to..."

Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:06 PM, Quagmire said:

Surprised the police don’t have fake packages with gps to crack down on this shit.

They busted 3 thieves with a similar bait truck, but then Chicago politicians, 'community activists', and the news media raised such a holy hell that the cops promised never to do it again.  (Note the 'activists' lies versus what actually happened):

VIDEO: In Chicago, Norfolk Southern ends controversial anti-cargo-theft operation

An anti-cargo-theft operation in Chicago’s South Side conducted jointly by the Norfolk Southern Police Department and the Chicago Police Department sparked outrage in the community.

In a joint effort with the Chicago Police Department dubbed “Operation Trailer Trap,” an unmarked trailer loaded with sneakers and other merchandise was left parked near 59th Place and Princeton Avenue in the city’s South Side Englewood neighborhood as a lure for potential thieves.

Video footage, shot by Chicago resident Charles McKenzie (described by the Chicago Tribune as a “community activist”) of the police activity following the arrest of three adults who had allegedly broken into the trailer, went viral. McKenzie’s video shows police officers arresting a man after he allegedly broke into the truck. Off-camera people whose voices were captured in the video can be heard complaining that the operation was entrapment, and targeted children.

McKenzie’s video, which had nearly 700,000 views, also contains the following written commentary: “The police parked a truck with boxes of Nike shoes infront of kids lifted up and when people hop in the truck the police hopping out on them smh check on your people share this”

The police operation was condemned by, among others, the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois.

NS issued the following statement in response:

“Norfolk Southern railroad police last week conducted a surveillance operation to target individuals who have been breaking into freight containers at NS rail yards and nearby areas in South Side Chicago.

“
There has been a lot of misinformation circulating online. Youths were neither targeted nor arrested. The three individuals apprehended ranged in age from 21 to 59. The truck trailer was not parked next to a basketball court. It was unmarked, it was locked, and its contents were invisible to passersby. The suspects saw a parked, unmarked trailer and then proceeded to cut open the safety seal with box cutters, broke into the back of the trailer and only then did they find retail shoes in unmarked brown boxes, previously secured and hidden inside.

“Freight theft specifically in this area has been increasing as the volume of rail traffic moving through the city of Chicago also increased. All too frequently, individuals break into parked freight containers in the Chicago area, stealing a range of consumer goods—at times this included guns and ammunition in transit. Norfolk Southern has the responsibility to ensure the freight we are transporting is safely delivered and does not pose a risk to the communities in which we operate. This week’s police operation was intended to directly combat such unacceptable thefts.

“These same surveillance techniques are used by local, state and federal officials, national retailers and large logistics companies across the U.S. to disrupt criminal activity related to freight theft.”

The Chicago Tribune published an editorial condemning the operation, which it called “a bad move.”

Herbert Smith, manager of community and legislative relations in Illinois, Iowa and Michigan for Norfolk Southern, in a letter to the newspaper expressed regret in response to the Chicago Tribune editorial and said the railroad would not use the tactic in the future. But he added that residents needed to know about ongoing thefts of cargo from parked and locked containers and trailers in the area, including stolen guns and ammunition.

“At the time, local residents and officials told us we needed to do more to prevent this, and we have responded,” Smith wrote. “Norfolk Southern, in coordination with local, state and federal officials, employs a wide range of preventative and surveillance methods (seen and unseen) to deter crime. We regularly change and improve enforcement tools, but unfortunately thefts continue.”

He added the FBI estimates that theft of freight totals more than $27 million a year, and that the railroad wants to discuss with local officials “how to best prevent freight theft, improve community relations and rebuild mutual trust.”

Authorities dropped felony theft charges against three adults arrested in the operation, while one defendant faces a misdemeanor assault charge.

Click below to view actual NS Police Department surveillance video footage.

Edited by clapclapclap

16 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

They are doing it. My city is one that does it.

Seriously doubt they actually arrest anyone for this. As he stated already, he had video proof of the thieves and the police had no interest in actually up holding the law. This is an all to common response for this 'petty crime' from all law enforcement.