2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

In seriousness, I would like to hear more of an argument for a complete southern border wall/fence/obstacle.     I think almost everyone (95%?) agree that walls/fences are needed in some places, mainly where they are today.   But are walls required in the middle of nowhere where any "illegal" crossing is probably a day worker who returns home every night with a border entry point is too far away.

I don't even know what he is asking for.  Does he mean that the Big Bend canyons will have a wall?  

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't even know what he is asking for.  Does he mean that the Big Bend canyons will have a wall?  

He doesn't know.  It's not a serious idea, it's a concept to rile up his base of dumb motherfuckers that don't understand anything but fear.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In seriousness, I would like to hear more of an argument for a complete southern border wall/fence/obstacle.     I think almost everyone (95%?) agree that walls/fences are needed in some places, mainly where they are today.   But are walls required in the middle of nowhere where any "illegal" crossing is probably a day worker who returns home every night with a border entry point is too far away.

If it’s WALL analysis you’re looking for, this thread is exceptional.

However, the Wall isn’t about security or immigration.  It’s a monument to racism. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

This whole thing is so fucking stupid.  

The $5 billion that is apparently important enough to shut down the fucking government for, would be lucky to cover the roads/infrastructure that will have to be built just to get the materials & labor to the wall site.  It's not even a drop in the bucket of what the wall would cost.

This is obvious, I know, but it's is all about Trump trying to make a point, not solve any problems.  There is absolutely zero difference in $1.5B and $5B in the grand scheme of a dumbass wall.  Thankfully the Democrats don't appear to be taking the bait.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Well, that's the point.  There's a wall/fence basically everywhere where you need one/that's practical.  Building a wall in the middle of the Sonoran desert is kinda pointless and cost ineffective, since virtually nobody crosses that way.  Most illegal immigrants in this country are here on overstayed visas.  It's probably not somebody who crossed the Rio Grande, it's that nice Polish lifeguard at your local pool.

You're better off spending money to stabilize Guatemala and Nicaragua's government's and social services. 

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know why I still get bothered by the breathtaking hypocrisy.

I really should be used to it by now.

“Show votes”. lol This turtle looking motherfucker.

But it's not even a show vote.  A "show vote" would be if they passed the bill knowing full well that it would be vetoed and that they wouldn't have the votes to override.  Like those 60 or so votes to repeal Obamacare.

But in this case, they actually have the votes to override.  Turtle just doesn't want to do it.

Well, by next friday, when paychecks stop going out, shit's going to get very real.  At some-point, those workers who are exempted are going to stop showing up because they can't feed their families or make the mortgage payments and need to find another job.

Imagine how it's going to go when Bush Intercontinental doesn't open because the TSA and airtraffic controllers don't come in.

Edited by Bateshorn

13 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah and the TSA people are going to be the types of people who don't have a bunch of savings to fall back on so you are going to start seeing attrition there pretty quickly.  

And if they find other work, they aren’t going to be keen on coming back, knowing Trump may pull this shit in the future.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And if they find other work, they aren’t going to be keen on coming back, knowing Trump may pull this shit in the future.  

See: Department of Energy.

I know they want to drain the swamp, but getting rid of the nerds isn't the right idea. We are setting ourselves back a few years.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, Biff Tannen said:

He doesn't know.  It's not a serious idea, it's a concept to rile up his base of dumb motherfuckers that don't understand anything but fear.

Which is why the situation escalated when it did and why the gov't is shut down right now: because his chickenshit "party" lost the House and he knows full well that the new House has no reason to cooperate on this ridiculous project. He fears going into enter the 2020 re-election campaign with no wall, no accomplishments, and no reasons to re-elect (not that we ever had a reason to elect, thank you DNC), and that certainly looks imminent. 

23 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

You're better off spending money to stabilize Guatemala and Nicaragua's government's and social services. 

Exactly. If you don't want people to migrate here illegally, don't give them a reason to. When you depose their legitimately elected leaders, support military dictatorships and economic policies that are both reviled by the population and (because they) absolutely devastate the countries, intensify said efforts when international judicial verdicts are made against you, pass international "trade" agreements that also make life difficult, make the visa/immigration/citizenship process as slow and cost-intensive as possible, make psychotic efforts to "control the flow of drugs" at the border, and allow employers to employ any and all illegals that they want in order to skirt the law, you are giving them reasons to immigrate here illegally. 

Of course, Trump and his ilk never comprehend this because they have an intellectual capacity of a 5-year old. Donald Trump's professional career is replete with colossal failures, and the biggest reason for their repetitions is his complete refusal to acknowledge his own part in such failures and his psychotic compulsion to blame everyone else. This wall hoax is just the latest edition of said defective thinking.

The unfortunate reality, however, is that you can never get Americans to sign off on what you (or I) just stated because the so-called "conservative movement" in this country has raised a couple generations worth of people who've no conception of such things, and in fact, have no conception of economics in general. As of right now, the average American thinks that "foreign aid" constitutes about a quarter of the total federal budget, which is like saying the distance from NYC to LA is approximately 70,000 miles. We have a rather pathetically large amount of people, whom I've deemed "foreign aid nuts," that think it only needs to decrease and across the board. They're ok with spending over $100 billion on the Drug War and the Wall, but not with nearly half of one percent of that going to actually help the people living in those countries.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, by next friday, when paychecks stop going out, shit's going to get very real.  At some-point, those workers who are exempted are going to stop showing up because they can't feed their families or make the mortgage payments and need to find another job.

Imagine how it's going to go when Bush Intercontinental doesn't open because the TSA and airtraffic controllers don't come in.

3 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yeah and the TSA people are going to be the types of people who don't have a bunch of savings to fall back on so you are going to start seeing attrition there pretty quickly.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think this is how it will end too, and I bet both sides know it.  There will start to be human interest stories showing a bunch of white people not making mortgage payments because of this, and the pressure will be too high.  Both sides are betting they can get the other one to blink.  Ds are in the catbird seat because they have tape of Trump saying he's "proud to shut down the government."  That's going to win out over the Rs who are only armed with Trump's tweet's saying that it's the Ds that are responsible.

The stories are gonna shift pretty quick from "poor me... I didn't get to go golf all weekend" which was last week and yesterday's Trump whine. To real people losing cars, homes, credit destroyed, etc.  Why??? Because Trump might "look silly."  Trump is in quicksand, and writhing...

It will be very intersting to see McConnell say- no reason to vote on a bill the President won't sign, which I believe is the GOP strategy.  Then Pelosi simply says, well why do I have to be the mind reader and figure out what the President will sign?  Or is that too fucking logical? 

I like to flip over to Fox News sometimes, just to see what the lemmings are feeding on today.  It was comical to hear how the Dems are in a tough spot now.  And how nervous the Dems should be regarding investigating the wrongdoings of the Trump administration.  I keeping waiting for little Herve to come out and yell "da plane! da plane!!!!  As it truly is fantasy island over there.  But to the loyal 35 percent that are gonna support the GOP strongly in 2020 I guess it validates their thinking.

Edited by horn4life

22 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump is doing a good job of owning this shutdown.   Sure, he tells his followers it’s the Dems, and a few believe it, but at the end of the day, it’s on him.  He’s refusing to sign off.  

A few?  Lol, it's all.  Literally all of his followers believe that it's the Dems fault for not funding the wall. Anyone who can't see it's a fucking cult right now is blind. You see, dems want "open borders" and without the wall, illegals will flood in and rape and kill people drunk driving. Didn't you see the fox news report of the illegal immigrant who killed someone drunk driving? Clearly, they will all do that, so we need a wall to keep them out. For safety.

11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

For the sake of irony, I would've gone with Reagan National.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Trump supposedly cared about the wall so much, why did it take him two years to get to it?  Why not focus on that instead of the tax cut?

I said this during the campaign: If Trump only accomplishes one thing as president it's going to be to cut his own taxes. Personal enrichment is his first priority. 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Don’t give him any credit.  He’s trying to avoid an ass whooping in 2020 when he’s up for re-election.

Don’t give him any credit.  He is only voting in a way that would please his constituents because he is answerable to them in 2020 when he’s up for re-election. 

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/03/business/treasury-irs-shutdown-refund/index.html

A protracted fight between President Donald Trump and Democratic congressional leaders to fund the government could delay payouts of tax refunds to millions of Americans who are owed money.

The country's tax collector is among the federal agencies affected by the government shutdown, now in its second week.

The IRS is currently working under non-filing season shutdown plans and will be updating it ahead of the upcoming tax season as soon as Friday, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The possibility of a lengthy stalemate could complicate this year's tax season, the first under the new law passed by Congress in 2017.

During a shutdown, the IRS typically doesn't perform audits, pay refunds or offer assistance to taxpayers if they have questions, especially outside of the filing season. And while some of the lights may still be on in the building, the agency is currently operating with only 12.5% of its workforce, or fewer than 10,000 federal employees.

"It does throw a little bit of wrench into things," said Kyle Pomerleau, economist at the Tax Foundation. "To the extent that individuals are relying on the refund any delay is going to be a negative."

Tax filing season usually begins in mid-January, and if the shutdown is resolved by then it may have little lasting impact on taxpayers. The IRS has yet to announce when individuals and businesses can begin submitting their income tax returns.

Congressional phones will be ringing off the hook if the shutdown lasts long enough to delay tax refunds.

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story