Jograves

Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Phoenix may actually be mentally ill.

did you see “I’m still here”? 

On 10/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh I hear you - but Arthur seems a long way from any type of coherent planning.

Anyways - just an opinion

He learns to be a coherent criminal like most do, behind bars. He'll escape after a few years in the criminal academy.

So my small complaint is that in this version by the time Batman is saving Gotham, the Joker will be spending his social security checks on Luby's. He's only becoming the Joker at what, 45?  And Bruce Wayne is still a child?   The age difference between the two is a little large. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

So my small complaint is that in this version by the time Batman is saving Gotham, the Joker will be spending his social security checks on Luby's. He's only becoming the Joker at what, 45?  And Bruce Wayne is still a child?   The age difference between the two is a little large. 

how much older was joker than michael keaton?

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Matthew Modine played Joker the best.

his performance really suggested something about the duality of man. 

In the movie, Joker mentions his mom was in the asylum 30 years ago. He was too young to remember her being away so in the movieverse he was probably around 33. Hey, it was the 70s. Everybody looked older than they were. It was hard times to be alive.

6 hours ago, futureman said:

his performance really suggested something about the duality of man. 

and sniffing panties.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:31 PM, futureman said:

the fat man was errol childress from true detective season 1.  knew he looked familiar. 

great in Barry

In the movie, Joker mentions his mom was in the asylum 30 years ago. He was too young to remember her being away so in the movieverse he was probably around 33. Hey, it was the 70s. Everybody looked older than they were. It was hard times to be alive.

Dude smoked like 2 packs a day, was malnourished, constantly stressed, probably didnt sleep regularly. Makes sense. He’s been Brimley’d.

35 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The actors are 14 years apart.

14 years... 40.  doesn’t matter.  age is a construct. 

Saw it again. Not to preach, but having worked with mental ill people, and it ln turn making me a loon myself - see alcoholic thread -  This is one of my all times faves. Brilliant movie. 

Edited by hundredTT

as said before, the fact that he’s kind of a simple guy is a detriment to the character.  you can be a brilliant, mad genius and still be fucked in the head enough to cripple your life before you become a kingpin.  I enjoyed the movie but heath ledger’s joker seemed like that mad genius.  phoenix’s joker was not the smartest guy in the room and it kept the character from being even better.  imo. 

as said before, the fact that he’s kind of a simple guy is a detriment to the character.  you can be a brilliant, mad genius and still be fucked in the head enough to cripple your life before you become a kingpin.  I enjoyed the movie but heath ledger’s joker seemed like that mad genius.  phoenix’s joker was not the smartest guy in the room and it kept the character from being even better.  imo. 

I think you’re missing the point. You have an expectation of what the Joker is. Your expectation is not valid criticism. This character is not supposed to be cool or smart, but feared and pitied.

At the end of the day, it’s like saying the detriment to Troy Aikman’s game was his inability to scramble. That’s just not the type of QB he was, nor would it have helped the Cowboys win more games-probably to the contrary. You can appreciate both Aikman and Steve Young, if you know your 90’s football gods. No need to have an expectation of what a QB should be ruin your respect for great play.

6 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

think you’re missing the point. You have an expectation of what the Joker is. Your expectation is not valid criticism. This character is not supposed to be cool or smart, but feared and pitied.

At the end of the day, it’s like saying the detriment to Troy Aikman’s game was his inability to scramble. That’s just not the type of QB he was, nor would it have helped the Cowboys win more games-probably to the contrary. You can appreciate both Aikman and Steve Young, if you know your 90’s football gods. No need to have an expectation of what a QB should be ruin your respect for great play.

it’s just my opinion, man.  heath ledger’s joker was better, and creepier, because he was so smart.  we didn’t pity him at all.  to an extent we pitied phoenix’s joker.  I think it’s a detriment.  my opinion.  everything you said about running quarterbacks is asinine. 

finally saw this last night.  thought it was incredible.  i had been told that it was very dark and intense and it definitely lived up to that description.  thought ledger's joker would never be topped, but fuck if phoenix might not have done so.  

the film was definitely a very strong commentary on mental illness and the difference between the haves and have nots in this country.