Disney+ (Disney's new streaming service)

mdmost

On 9/1/2020 at 6:36 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How can somebody who goes around calling themselves "High Plains Drifter" can slander The Mandolorian so?

OK, I finished the first season, and it did get better. I liked the prison barge break out ep.

I guess my main complaint is all the star wars references that I'm not getting. Also, how does he eat if he never takes his helmet off? Does he only eat alone?

I'm moving this over the Mandalorian thread.

On 8/31/2020 at 5:20 PM, LonghornSean said:

You could watch Free Solo. But bet you've already seen that. Just a hunch.

I haven't and I had never heard of it, so I looked for it, and its now on the to watch list. But its been about 20 years, and 30 pounds, since I've done any climbing.

(At first I thought you were talking about the Han Solo movie)

On 9/3/2020 at 8:38 AM, Okie State said:

So is anyone paying $30 to watch this movie at home?

Nope. 

We planned on watching it with the kids tonight, until I found out that Disney wanted $30 on top of my monthly fee. $15 to $20, ok. But not $30.

So I did what any good pirate does. There was already 20 options of various quality/sizes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Nope. 

We planned on watching it with the kids tonight, until I found out that Disney wanted $30 on top of my monthly fee. $15 to $20, ok. But not $30.

So I did what any good pirate does. There was already 20 options of various quality/sizes. 

Watching it now on a friend's Plex server. No way was I going to pay $30 to watch this with my boys. Checked my buddies server and it was there. My 8 year old likes it so far, 5 year old not into it yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

We saw it last night as well.  We all enjoyed it.  It was refreshing to see something from Disney that wasn't another candied up, contrived musical.  Covid will screw up their profits on this, but i would like to see the Mouse deviate more in this direction with their live-action movies.  Scenery was beautiful, although it seems like they left alot on the table in terms of scale.  They could have gone larger with the battles and landscape in some shots.  I'll put the blame on the higher-ups and not the director on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our 2 kids enjoyed it and it made for a good pizza and movie night. Good change up. Got a little concerned when I saw the pg13 upgrade, but it ended up not being a big deal. Agree the big battle could have been expanded a little. The crouching tiger fighting style was unexpected and fun to watch. First thing the kids have seen with that style. 

A decent Disney version of Crouching Tiger. Lil dude started practicing his sword moves before it was finished.

I can see why studios are hesitant to release movies in this fashion. I thought I would have to wait a couple before finding it online. It was there the same day. Probably within hours. Meanwhile with Tenet, all I saw were Cam versions when I did a quick look.

We dropped $30 on the Mulan and thought it was great.  The whole family enjoyed it.  Kind of a cross between Star Wars and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  I thought it was well done.
My girlfriend told me the live action version is nothing like the animated version released in the 90s. That it is more true to the actual story of Mulan. True??

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 9/7/2020 at 12:29 AM, Jambon said:
We dropped $30 on the Mulan and thought it was great.  The whole family enjoyed it.  Kind of a cross between Star Wars and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  I thought it was well done.

My girlfriend told me the live action version is nothing like the animated version released in the 90s. That it is more true to the actual story of Mulan. True??

Well, sure if there was a witch that could shapeshift.  It is quite a bit different than the cartoon. If the live action Disney’s I’ve seen, it probably differs from the original cartoon more than most. 

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Well, sure if there was a witch that could shapeshift.  It is quite a bit different than the cartoon. If the live action Disney’s I’ve seen, it probably differs from the original cartoon more than most. 

I have enjoyed all the live action movies they have did so far. I only saw Mulan for the first tine last week. The original animated version. By the time that was released in the late 90s, I had already moved on from those kinds of movies.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have enjoyed all the live action movies they have did so far. I only saw Mulan for the first tine last week. The original animated version. By the time that was released in the late 90s, I had already moved on from those kinds of movies.

Same here on missing it in the 90s. Didn’t realize it existed until we had kids. I’ve enjoyed most of the new live action movies as an adult more than the cartoons except for the great ones (Toy Story for instance). It’s probably heresy since Will Smith is in it, but really enjoy Live Aladdin. 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Same here on missing it in the 90s. Didn’t realize it existed until we had kids. I’ve enjoyed most of the new live action movies as an adult more than the cartoons except for the great ones (Toy Story for instance). It’s probably heresy since Will Smith is in it, but really enjoy Live Aladdin. 

I thought Aladdin was on par with the rest of them.  My kids enjoyed it, I don't really get the hate other than Robin Williams was better.  I think the Lion King is the weakest of the bunch given that it's 100% animals and it's hard to portray silliness using a realistic lion or hyena.  

Watched Mulan tonight. I thought it was pretty good. It could have been better if they had spent a little more time developing some things, but I guess they wanted to make it tight enough to keep kids' attentions. I liked that they didn't try and make a shot for shot remake. As far as the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon comparisons,  I would say that is fairly accurate, except it's more like Crouching Pheonix, Hidden Boobies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...