2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Yeah, I think this shit is done, and as much as it hurts, I think it’s the best thing players can do to deliver a firm message. Really sucks for the end of the roster guys who are trying to pay bills... hope the league, owners or players like LBJ step up and take care of them.

We’re about to see how true Juvenal’s words ring... with the circuses closing down, and the bread running out, perhaps the people will awaken to their plight and fight for social justice once more.

I was always under the assumption that players got paid 100% or their salary for the regular season, and that playoffs are just something that you're contractually required to participate in if your team happens to make it. I assume that the owners could probably go after some of that money for breach of contract, but holy fuck that would get ugly.

Someone please correct me as I'm certain I'm wrong on this.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I was always under the assumption that players got paid 100% or their salary for the regular season, and that playoffs are just something that you're contractually required to participate in if your team happens to make it. I assume that the owners could probably go after some of that money for breach of contract, but holy fuck that would get ugly.

They stopped getting paid as of June 15, I think. The big hit to the paycheck will be next year- when the revenues are counted and they don’t include gate from March 11 on and whatever the TV claw back if the playoffs aren’t finished (National) plus what we the regional guys get out of paying for having less than 70 games played in the regular season. 

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah as mentioned, the players reg salaries end at the end of the reg season.     The playoff money is paid based on what round you make it to but its actually minuscule compared to what even the avg player makes let alone the 9 figure contract guys make.

17 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Always amazed when so-called fans of a sport or team get all butthurt when the players dare to express themselves as human beings and interfere with the snowflake's TV watching.  (not directed to anyone in particular in this thread)

Kudos to Americans exercising their freedoms.

Some of us prefer our sports with no politics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I know this is the unpopular take, but this is me. In the 2020 world of media all around us...there is literally no escape from politics even if the NBA doesn’t boycott a game. I get what they’re doing and am fine with it, but I’m not sure what impact it will ultimately have other than get some people on Twitter to write some heartfelt supportive tweets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

i do too.  what's happened since kaep though is we've seen the uncomfortable reality of not being able to control how we compartmentalize our lives-  black people are affected, and have been affected for centuries, in every aspect of their daily lives by simply being black in more serious ways than having their sports ruined.  that the nuisance of minor (to me) political issues filter into my own personal life in places i don't want is a pretty powerful illustration of the weight of this problem for blacks and other marginalized people we don't often consider.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, htown85 said:

I know this is the unpopular take, but this is me. In the 2020 world of media all around us...there is literally no escape from politics even if the NBA doesn’t boycott a game. I get what they’re doing and am fine with it, but I’m not sure what impact it will ultimately have other than get some people on Twitter to write some heartfelt supportive tweets.

Exactly

I think everyone would love to live in a world where sports and social issues (I'm not going to say politics because there shouldn't be anything political about saying that minorities and people of color deserve fair and equal treatment) could be kept separate from each other. I'd love if the most pressing thing on LeBron's mind on a random Tuesday was how to get Kyle Kuzma more involved in the offense.

But that's not going to happen when shit like this keeps happening over and over and over again. Players finally recognizing their power and leverage is not going away. Nor should it. Maybe it won't change a thing, but how can any rationale person expect them to be silent on the injustices in their community?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, htown85 said:

immortal would be perfectly fine with politics in sports if they were his politics. Don't entertain his bullshit. His entire view on politics in sports is "shut up and dribble".

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Mutually exclusive, bro

Congrats on making the Onion.

https://sports.theonion.com/man-just-wants-to-watch-basketball-in-peace-without-bei-1844870156

Man Just Wants To Watch Basketball In Peace Without Being Forced To Recognize Players’ Humanity In Any Wayspacer.png

Edited by Pasken
  • Haha 1

I don’t care what the players do, and I don’t care if it affects my sports watching. 

I do wonder what it has accomplished. How many people had this realization yesterday that treatment of black people in general and by police specifically is abhorrent and needs to change, because the players refused to play?

what positive effects has it had or might it have down the road?

its kind of like raising awareness for cancer. We are aware. 

on the other hand, who does it hurt?  Bookmakers, owners, players, networks?  There’s already no fans at the arenas. 

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I think everyone would love to live in a world where sports and social issues (I'm not going to say politics because there shouldn't be anything political about saying that minorities and people of color deserve fair and equal treatment) could be kept separate from each other. I'd love if the most pressing thing on LeBron's mind on a random Tuesday was how to get Kyle Kuzma more involved in the offense.

But that's not going to happen when shit like this keeps happening over and over and over again. Players finally recognizing their power and leverage is not going away. Nor should it. Maybe it won't change a thing, but how can any rationale person expect them to be silent on the injustices in their community?

I respectfully disagree with this statement. And now isn't about "politics" anyway.  I realize its maybe framed and understood as politics, but obviously its a cultural war. And yes it needs total fucking coverage and I love every minute of it. We have lots of willing ignorance and sheer hatred that we need to beat out of a large portion of the folks across the world (not just the US). and if the sports figures - that millions of kids look up to around the world - continue to step "out of line" and make the statements they care about? good. make it rain. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t care what the players do, and I don’t care if it affects my sports watching. 

I do wonder what it has accomplished. How many people had this realization yesterday that treatment of black people in general and by police specifically is abhorrent and needs to change, because the players refused to play?

on the other hand, who does it hurt?  Bookmakers, owners, players, networks?  There’s already no fans at the arenas. 

I don’t think everyone makes the same connection of mistreatment they do to the recent Blake shooting. 48hr rule should have applied, and you can argue twitter responses like Lebron before the facts came out as inciting violence. 

Clifford Robinson died

That’s too bad. As a Spurs fan I hated him, but he was a solid player for many many years and always seems to be a good guy. He was also part of some weird NBA trivia fact that there was a Clifford Robinson in the league for something like 30 years in a row...maybe it was more than that. RIP.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, htown85 said:

This is not an unpopular take.  Exhibit A: nosediving ratings. 

The ESPN-Disney Colossus has been playing politics with its sports "Programming" for a while now and people are tuning out.  Turn on any sports radio station (It'll be owned by ESPN-Disney) and count the seconds until you're lectured on the awfulness of society or how you should be afraid of getting sick.   Most people look to sports (and movies and tv) for entertainment, not to be lectured and told what to think.    Being told what to think has traditionally been the job of the regular "News".  

Your take will undoubtedly trigger the roaming pack of rabid virtue signalers on surly, so I could see why you'd think it was unpopular.  But your take reflects the view of most real sports fans.  The ratings will prove this.  

On 8/27/2020 at 5:07 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

The real practical benefit of their decision isn't really towards the general public but more specifically certain power players (obvious example being NBA owners) that can be leaned on with leverage/pressure to do specific things that could have future impact in a positive way.  What that actually translates to down the road is an unknown, but even opening up some arenas for voting isn't nothing either.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTDD said:

The real practical benefit of their decision isn't really towards the general public but more specifically certain power players (obvious example being NBA owners) that can be leaned on with leverage/pressure to do specific things that could have future impact in a positive way.  What that actually translates to down the road is an unknown, but even opening up some arenas for voting isn't nothing either.

If you view the police issue as not just a national issue but rather a widespread series of local issues, the players and owners wield enormous economic and cultural influence in their respective communities. If the players can get the owners to put pressure on the right people, many issues could be resolved locally.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So far, enjoying the announcers much better in this Rockets/Thunder game on TNT.   

Had to stop watching earlier game on ESPN -- Van Gundy was terrible (wish he would go back to coaching Damn it!!)

Nm 

Edited by TonyTexas

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I should have specifically said Jeff Van Gundy (SUCKS) who called the  ESPN game

He can get annoying for sure.   SVG has been surprisingly good.    I really disliked him as a coach but he has been enjoyable to listen to as analyst

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So far, enjoying the announcers much better in this Rockets/Thunder game on TNT.   

Had to stop watching earlier game on ESPN -- Jeff Van Gundy was terrible (wish he would go back to coaching Damn it!!)

Chris Webber is the worst right now. In my humble opinion. 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He hit Gordon in the nuts. Gordon bowed up on him. Both ejected. 

Yeah I went back and saw it.    Decent job at trying to act like it was a natural move.    He got PJ pretty good.    PJ was moving on the screen though

48 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah I went back and saw it.    Decent job at trying to act like it was a natural move.    He got PJ pretty good.    PJ was moving on the screen though

I think we can all agree that PJ is on the short list of NBA players I’d least like to fight