Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

This kid is a freak athlete. Definitely want him in the class. This is the kind of kid that TCU and Baylor have been taking for the last ten years (except for Lewis last year. Suck a dick Patterson!) and killing us with.

He also fits well in this class because he could use a year or two to develop and he’ll get that time with the 2018 and 2019 classes in front of him.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cooper fell for the “we’re family” shit from his former high school coach. He’s an idiot. 

My understanding is that sarvanaash is swahili for “hysterical recruiting board diva”. 

The family that goes 4-8 together, stays together.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cooper fell for the “we’re family” shit from his former high school coach. He’s an idio

I wonder how Mookie's going to feel about "family" when Lovie gets shitcanned (and Patterson by extension) before Illinois' bowl game what would have been Illinois' bowl game if they were eligible? I sincerely hope we stay on this kid.

1 minute ago, campcrunk said:

I wonder how Mookie's going to feel about "family" when Lovie gets shitcanned (and Patterson by extension) before Illinois' bowl game what would have been Illinois' bowl game if they were eligible? I sincerely hope we stay on this kid.

Sadly, just like in Chicago he has managed to find the video of the AD ritualistically killing a small child with the school president. He even got an extension and has the full support of everyone at Illinois. The fans are so apathetic now the man has more job security than any other 4 win coach you will ever see. 

They boasted the worst defense in school history and one of the worst the Big 10 has ever seen. Nothing Cooper can do will help them. 

My crystal ball prediction? Transfer portal 2021.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cooper fell for the “we’re family” shit from his former high school coach. He’s an idiot. 

My understanding is that sarvanaash is swahili for “hysterical recruiting board diva”. 

So if his family gets fired along with Lovie this year then what, follow him to whatever FCS school he ends up at? 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Can Illinois afford that buyout after an extension? I don't think it's happening.

I haven't read the contract, but allegedly the extension lowered the buyout. Lovie probably signed it to help with recruiting, but I'm guessing his attorney advised against it. 

Also, Big Ten TV money. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Greg Biggins: Darion Green-Warren opens up his recruitment

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei defensive back Darion Green-Warren opened up his recruitment and de-committed from Oklahoma earlier today. Green-Warren committed to the Sooners last July and looked as solid as can be in his pledge. Oklahoma was the childhood favorite for the talented corner, he grew up near Norman and even had some family in the area. He was an active recruiter for the Sooners as well but things started to change when former DB coach Kerry Cooks left to take the DB job at Texas Tech.

“Coach Cooks was my guy, we were really close,” Green-Warren said. “When I left and coach Grinch and coach Manning came in, I never really connected with them. I talked to them a few times but my communication was mostly with Chip Viney and coach Riley as well. I thought they might make more of an effort to get to know me since I didn't know either coach that well but that never happened. I got the sense I wasn’t really their guy and then when I talked to coach Riley, he was up front and honest with me and told me that coach Grinch prefers corners that are taller and more athletic. He told me I’ll always have a place at Oklahoma as long as he’s there but he also said it’s coach Grinch’s defense and he would always defer to him when it came to player personal decisions on that side of the ball.”

Green-Warren said not knowing if he would have a spot moving forward played a big role in his decision to de-commit. “You always want to go where you know you’re wanted and needed,” Green-Warren said. “I didn’t feel that way at Oklahoma any more. If coach Cooks was there, I wouldn’t have de-committed but I started to feel like I needed to look around and that’s why I decided to take some of these visits. The last few days were pretty stressful for me. It wasn’t an easy decision because I always loved Oklahoma but I felt like long term, this was the best move for me going forward.”

Earlier in the week, Green-Warren visited Clemson and Georgia and raved about both schools. “Georgia was great, I loved it there,” Green-Warren said. “They offered last month and have really been recruiting me hard ever since. I wasn’t actually planning to take a visit this week, I was just going to see Clemson but they really wanted to get me out there so I took the visit and had a great time. I toured the football facilities and the campus and spent a lot of time with the coaches. I spent a lot of time with coach Kirby Smart and he told me they like me a lot and really want me there. He broke down the defense for me and said they play five defensive backs as their base defense and almost always have a nickel out there on the field. He said they rotate a lot of guys and he wants me to come in and be ready to play as a true freshman and that’s what I’m looking to do as well. He said the plan would be for me to start out at nickel and then when I learn the defense more, I would rotate in at corner and they feel I could be a big factor for them.”

New UGA DB coach Charlton Warren made a big impression as well. “He told me I would’t be coming in to redshirt,” Green-Warren said. “He’s real cool and down to earth and I can tell he has been doing his research on me because he knew a lot about me, my strengths and weaknesses as a player and he seems like he would be a great coach to play for. I like Georgia a lot and love how they play defense. I watched them a lot and they have played in some big games the last few years. It’s an active defense and they put a lot of faith in their DBs and let them man up all over the field. The SEC is a great conference and it felt like a family there for me. Georgia is definitely one of my top schools right now and I’m giving them a hard look.”

Green-Warren had nothing but good things to say about the visit to Clemson as well. “Clemson showed me a lot of love on the visit,” Green-Warren said. “I was able to talk with all the coaches, coach Swinney, coach Venables and coach Reed, the DB coach. Coach Venables and coach Reed broke down the defense and what they expect from their defensive backs. He said they like to be at least three deep at every position because they rotate a lot of guys. They play some matchup zone but mostly man coverage and that’s what’s we play at Mater Dei as well. Coach Swinney said they like guys who love football and want to compete and he sees that in me. I sat in on some defensive meetings, met some of the players and I really like their program. They’re about building men, not just football players and you can feel the closeness and how family oriented everyone is there.”

The Tigers haven’t offered yet but Green-Warren said he’s hopeful it could happen soon. “They told me they don’t like to just throw out offers and wanted to make sure I had real interest in them before offering,” Green-Warren said. “I’m supposed to talk with coach Reed next week so hopefully it happens. That’s a great football program and if they offered, they would definitely be high on my list.”

Texas is another school that could jump in the picture. “After I de-committed, I got a call from their DC, Todd Orlando,” Green-Warren said. “He said they haven’t been recruiting me because he felt I was locked in for Oklahoma but now that I’m open, they want to recruit me. I’m supposed to talk to him again on Sunday and hopefully they offer. They have Bru (McCoy) there now and it would be great to go out there and take a visit and see what the school is all about. USC is another option and they have been pushing hard for me. They have always been high on my list and USC is a pretty special place. I’m close with Chris Hawkins, who’s on staff there now and I’m going to visit March 23 for Junior Day. I just want to make sure the coaching situation is stable and it’s a good fit for me. I don’t want to go somewhere and have to play for multiple coaches so I’ll be watching them closely this season.”

Florida State, Oregon and Ole Miss are a few other schools Green-Warren said he’s looking at. “Florida State has been high on my list for a while,” Green-Warren said. “I’ve never visited before but I talk with coach Kelly a lot and they want to get me up there. I talk with Donte Williams at Oregon all the time and I’m looking at potentially visiting for the Spring Game. It will be there or LSU but LSU hasn’t offered yet so we’ll see what happens there. I like Ole Miss too and coach Clark was one of the first coaches to recruit me when he was at Oregon. Right now, I’m just going to take my time with the recruiting process, go on my visits and look for the best overall fit for me. I’m looking for a place where I can play early and where I’m comfortable with the school and coaching staff.”

image.png

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, Herman is going to take Texas back to the mecca of football facilities.  Every school used to envy our fucking facilities.  Then some where along the lines every one in the administration got content and stopped trying from DeLoss to Mack.  So refreshing to have Del Conte and Herman.  I expect us to be second to none very soon.

just 3 years ago, we had this shit...

The Tigers haven’t offered yet but Green-Warren said he’s hopeful it could happen soon. “They told me they don’t like to just throw out offers and wanted to make sure I had real interest in them before offering,” Green-Warren said.

Sounds vaguely familiar.

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

Man, Herman is going to take Texas back to the mecca of football facilities.  Every school used to envy our fucking facilities.  Then some where along the lines every one in the administration got content and stopped trying from DeLoss to Mack.  So refreshing to have Del Conte and Herman.  I expect us to be second to none very soon.

just 3 years ago, we had this shit...

In 2010 I was arguing with idiots on the 247 site that we'd been passed up. It was incredibly obvious.

Eric Nahlin: Cornerback Decision Timelines Benefit Texas

The title became crystal clear yesterday as I caught up with Jalen Kimber, Ryan Watts, and Jahari Rogers at a 7 on 7 held in The Woodlands. Texas could potentially take three corners in the class but fitting that many quality prospects at the same position is typically difficult. Making matters more interesting is trying to have full-bodied evaluations on each player and setting a board when they're all so different. None of this accounts for Kelee Ringo of course, who has no discernible flaws and will decide late. He'll have a spot as long as Bru McCoy did.

Jalen Kimber (Mansfield Timberview) is now up to #105 in the nation per 247's rankings after his impressive testing numbers and his phone is ringing off the hook from schools trying to get visits. That ratings bump is about how I saw it too because the tape is good. UT's interest is high, but it also has been for a while, especially since the 2019 class got put to bed. He's going to decide this summer. Texas is in a good spot and I'll have some interesting insights on him tomorrow.

Ryan Watts (Little Elm) and Jahari Rogers (Arlington) play for the same 7 on 7 team and may extend that partnership to the next level. If that happens then I give the OU predictions credibility, though that's not set in stone, and Rogers, despite being a legacy, isn't a Sooner lock. They'd both like to decide this summer. If Texas lands one of those three it will be in good shape at the position heading into the season. My preference would be -- and I don't know that it differs from the staff's -- Kimber, Watts, then Rogers. How they navigate those summer timelines will be fun to watch.

Kitan Crawford from John Tyler doesn't have a firm decision timeline but we believe Texas is in a good position for him. Perhaps there's some nickel upside there too. I don't have a good feel for him as a player as of yet but he fits in the class as a third corner/nickel sort. Joshua Eaton (Aldine MacArthur) has the length and speed every school in the country covets -- that every NFL team covets. But he needs to bring the effort more consistently. He wants to decide late and if UT misses on Ringo, he could be a great late addition because of that raw upside. Most likely corner class from my vantage on March 10th is Kimber, Ringo, and Crawford. Of course I'm still worried about Ringo's official visits.

I'm off to go watch Ty Jordan. He's joining the tournament late. I have a feeling I'll be a full-fledged member of his fan club today after talking to his 7 on 7 coaches yesterday. How could I become a bigger fan watching a running back play 7 on 7 you ask? Because Mookie Cooper just left the class. Though Jordan is more of a running back, based on what I've heard he could easily play slot. Landing Jordan would enable the staff to still pursue its dream pair of tailbacks while being protected if it only lands one. A dynamic slot player in the class is a luxury but landing one good and one great running back is a must. I like the flexibility Jordan could potentially offer the class but first I want to see it for myself.

image.png

Edited by satyanash

39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nobody will remember in 3 years when they pull his offer, but that’s pretty slimy of Morris. 

That 5th grader should publicly accept the offer and commit to Arkansas. And then he should publicly reopen his recruitment and let everyone know they should respect his decision.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3