Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

54 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nah, what'll be pathetic is when he's sitting with Leal every year watching Texas play in NY6 Bowls and the CFP while aggy plays in some bowl nobody has heard of against a scrub ACC team thinking "what could have been?"

You know how we make the CFP? By getting guys like Broughton and Leal on our team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It only made sense to turn this into a cheese board. I was at a meeting for 3 days and didn’t get to read from Sunday until last night...about 30 pages worth of shit. The last 30 pages have been a ball beat. What pairs best with cheese?  Whine. Because that’s all some muthafukas did for 3 goddamn days and 30 pages.  

Drink 🍷 to go with your 🧀 

Ok, cool. Hook’em

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

It only made sense to turn this into a cheese board. I was at a meeting for 3 days and didn’t get to read from Sunday until last night...about 30 pages worth of shit. The last 30 pages have been a ball beat. What pairs best with cheese?  Whine. Because that’s all some muthafukas did for 3 goddamn days and 30 pages.  

Drink 🍷 to go with your 🧀 

Ok, cool. Hook’em

I agree. It's time to cut the cheese.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Gil with the burn

Bradshaw said something about having 3 5A (star) QBs and two of them leaving before saying the team's remaining QB "isn't that good. 

On morning sports radio in Austin, they wondered if he was talking about Murray and Allen being the ones who left and Mond being the guy who ain't that good. Perhaps he has confused A&M with Texas. Sorta makes better sense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Bradshaw said something about having 3 5A (star) QBs and two of them leaving before saying the team's remaining QB "isn't that good. 

On morning sports radio in Austin, they wondered if he was talking about Murray and Allen being the ones who left and Mond being the guy who ain't that good. Perhaps he has confused A&M with Texas. Sorta makes better sense.

That is what I assumed he was talking about, which further proves that he is an uninformed, illiterate fuckstick whose opinions should mean jack shit.

IT

VERNON BROUGHTON

I finally caught up with the Cy-Ridge defensive end's mother, Yolanda. This weekend has been heavy with speculation of where the potential five-star player will end up. We'll let Mrs. Broughton tell it in her own words then discuss.

Q1: You had very glowing remarks after the Texas visit, even saying you didn't want to give away what made the trip special because you wanted to see authentic pitches from schools and not them duplicating UT. I'm curious if LSU, Ohio State, Arkansas, and A&M were able to match Texas in their own way?

A: After visiting each school, it appeared they each had their own unique way of doing things and displaying opportunities available! 

Q2: Vernon made a midweek visit to UT last Wednesday. Did anything from that visit stand out or underline things for him?

A: Seems like every trip is advantageous and reveals more! Vernon spent time in Austin while Coach Herman continued to stress the importance of him being a factor to the Longhorn equation! 

Q3: Are things becoming more clear for Vernon? Is he thinking he's found a destination that provides everything he's looking for in a school, from mentorship, academics, and networking, to of course football?

A: Things are becoming more clear to being more specific regarding all recruiting areas, meeting his needs and not wants! With a quick turnaround from College Station to Atlanta and with a quick departure due to summer school final exams, we just haven’t had much time to discuss his recent visit to College Station, recruiting, etc! When the time permits we will focus on all five visits and discuss what each school offers! Most importantly, Texas is still a major player! 

Q4: Previously you said Vernon was going to decide in July so you could focus on Asia's basketball. Do guys have a date in mind? If not an exact date, a general one?

A: We’re still looking at having a decision by August 1, prayerfully! We’re not rushing anything and not moved to make a hasty decision, nor being pressured to make an immediate decision! 

Q5: If Vernon is still unsure, would he wait until the season begins so he could take some return visits or maybe even visit new schools?

A: That is very possible, we just want to be sure about this commitment to a university! 

She offered me a parting shot: "I’m/we're still positive regarding Texas! Texas visit set the standard for the remaining schools to exceed the expectations! Obviously, all schools are offering pretty much the same great education, strong brotherhood, mentorship, community service, spiritual life, 40-50 years of life after football!"

["All schools are offering pretty much the same great education." Please try not to ruin the thread over that line.]

An announcement won't happen before July 15th at a minimum and the process will probably go longer. Texas should already be gently trying to get them to return for the late July event to get any lingering questions answered they might have, notably about scheme.

Vernon let the cat out out of the bag when he stated the importance of playing in a 4-3 in a recent interview. With that being a concern of mine earlier in the process I asked him several times about it, and heard back some variation of, "I'm already 280 pounds, I know I'm playing inside." Texas has had talks regarding scheme but probably not to the degree it needs to. The staff seems to have done a great job of selling everything else.

This one isn't over and I get a bit of a Malik Jefferson vibe from when he surprisingly started liking A&M late. UT was able to overcome the Ags there but it required a bit of luck. In my opinion, winning this recruitment will require a bit of guile and probably some research.

SCATTERSHOOTING RECRUITING

RB Bijan Robinson. While he's enjoying himself on the camp circuit, Texas and Ohio State coaches await his decision. He was looking at a mid-summer announcement, but a buddy at Rivals thinks he waits, which would actually help Texas. Like with Broughton, time to unwind from all the activity could benefit Texas greatly. If you caked your pants on Monday you now have to sit in it much longer than you would have if you had just waited. And if you wait, you might actually receive good news or at least have time to put on some pants you don't care for.

DB Bryson Washington. We maintain UT blew him away during his official visit. The staff had him spending time with local law enforcement since he’s interested in criminal justice and forensic science. About the only thing they didn’t do was re-enact CSI Austin. Staff is still confident, FWIW. OU certainly hasn't conceded and Bryson has done a good job of shielding his cards.

CB Jahari Rogers. He told us how much he loves UT and the DBU tradition. Proximity doesn't hurt either. Add Rogers to Crawford and you're playing with house money the rest of the way at the position.

LB Prince Dorbah. Nothing has changed with Dorbah. This Roman candle should have his announcement made before he heads for Greece.

DB Chris Thompson. Thompson could announce when nobody is looking. When taking attendance we're surprised he's not already in class.

OL Chad Lindberg. He's made his trips and Texas is looking to be in good shape. He might not draw his decision out much longer.

WR Johnny Wilson. The kid just spent six days in Austin but not in the Kelee Ringo suite. He’s been spending a lot of time with De’Gabriel Floyd and his family. We’ll see Wilson on Sunday at The Opening. Let the burnt orange narrative commence. Wilson will likely be choosing between Austin and Eugene.

WR JJ Hester. Is the Oklahoma wide receiver a take? Right now, we believe he is. We think Texas has others a little higher, but would take his pledge if he was ready. He's a silky smooth player and can certainly play at a quality school.

Linebacker Recruiting. Things are quiet, a little too quiet. We're sure there's a plan but Kalel Mullings committed to Michigan. Len’Neth Whitehead is trending Georgia. Brennon Scott remains under the heat lamp. Jaden Hullaby might be a LB, but he’ll start on offense. New options should appear closer to the season and maybe we'll hear a name out-of-nowhere for the July event like last summer with Marcus Tillman. That worked out well then and likely long-term.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Give the guy a break it was a long press conference and he was due for a diaper change.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-28th-30th/

There were some additional DB updates that were posted here yesterday, click through if you want to re-read those.

Lathan Ransom | The Latest
– Super K

2020 DB Lathan Ransom took his final official visit this past weekend which was to Ohio State.

Going into the visit, my sense after speaking to him and his father was that Texas was the leader out of three schools that had emerged: Texas, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

It looks like, for the moment, that has changed.

I asked Ransom, yesterday, if Ohio State has overtaken Texas to which he replied, “yes sir”.

He is coming off the emotional high of the trip. I think there is still time for the family to sit down and discuss things like weather, distance, etc.

We will see how this one plays out. Again, there is still time.

The Latest | Princely Umanmielen Talks Heat Wave
– CJ Vogel

One of the bigger Texas targets at this weekend’s Heat Wave was 2020 Manor DE Princely Umanmielen.

Umanmielen had said earlier this spring he would not be doing interviews until his commitment, but he did stop by for a little to share about his time with the team and staff.

The Heat Wave provided just one more opportunity for Umanmielen to see the campus that he has visited numerous times so far in his recruitment.

“It was just fun,” said Umanmielen describing the overall experience during his visit. “Nothing was boring, the atmosphere was amazing and everybody positive.”

Being a regular on campus in Austin has provided an opportunity for relationships to grow with potential teammates and coaches, something that has really stood out for Umanmielen.

“I know some of the players already, so I’m really just comfortable (when I’m on campus).”

Like with many of the other recruits on campus, pool basketball and the chicken wing eating competition were big hits.

“Mainly just playing basketball with the (current) players and some of the other recruits. It was fun playing with some of the other players, making me feel like family.”

Princely said he spent most of his afternoon with Keondre Coburn and Peter Mpagi, two guys he would spend a lot of time with in practice and film room sessions if he were to pick the Longhorns. Funny note, Princely mentioned Coburn as the best pool basketball player due to his size and being able to force everyone out of his way.

Moving forward to the last couple weeks before fall camp starts up will consist of a lot of conditioning and weight training for the Manor DE.

“I’m really just working out a lot. We have summer workouts for school and after that I do personal workouts training.”

Princely will have a lot of time to hit the weights with his summer visit circuit has come to a close. Umanmielen said he probably won’t be taking anymore visits for the summer, so it’s certainly a good thing the Longhorns were able to close out his summer on a good note.

** Princely also confirmed his commitment timetable is set for October.

Quick Hitter | Another Cali WR Coming to Texas
– Will Baizer

– Got word that 2020 WR LV Bunkley-Shelton (Gardena, CA) will be visiting Texas on July 26th through the 28th. For those unaware of him, he is a 5’11”, 174-pound polished slot receiver with big-play ability. He is very good at locating the ball and making catches in tough situations. I expect the services will give him a bump after this season. Luckily for Texas, it appears this recruitment is up in the air, so they may be able to sneak into the race.

Johnny Wilson | Loving Austin
– Will Baizer

5-star wide receiver Johnny Wilson just left Austin and seemed to be getting pretty comfortable here. The California wide receiver extended his stay in Austin from his original departure date of Sunday until this last night.

This was his second trip to Austin in the past few weeks. Over the past three weeks, the five-star 2020 wide receiver out of Calabasas, California, has spent roughly ten or so days in the city of Austin.

This time Wilson was also able to bring his mother down to Austin for the weekend, which was a big success for the Longhorns because Wilson’s mother will have a role in helping choose where her son goes to college. Right now, she is pregnant and set to give birth in September, so this was one of the few times she could make the trip.

While he was unavailable to the media after the Heat Wave pool party event, I was able to catch up with the elite prospect to get his thoughts on his time so far in Austin.

With a chuckle, Wilson told me that his favorite part was seeing the interactions between the players and the coaches, specifically when the players turned on the coaches as has become tradition, “The best part about the pool party was when the players started throwing the coaches in the water.” It’s fair to say that Wilson has had a pretty good time hanging out with the current players and staff over last week.

While I was told that Wilson has great relationships with the players, especially guys like fellow five-star Jordan Whittington, fellow Californian De’Gabriel Floyd, and a few others, the staff is very important in where he will end up. Luckily for Longhorn fans, the staff did a phenomenal job convincing Wilson that he belongs in Texas.

According to Wilson, “The Texas staff was very welcoming. They made me feel at home, and when it was time to talk football, they made it clear that no matter where I go I have to compete.” The staff’s ability to “keep it real” has been a key for them in gaining the trust of many recruits. Wilson is no exception, “They show how much they care by telling you the real. I appreciate them for that.”

When it came to talking football, the path to success was obvious for the staff. Right now, Wilson sits at a well-built 6’6″ and 220-pounds. For comparison sake, Texas receiver, Collin Johnson, came out of high school at 6’6″ and 200-pounds. So it’s fair to say that Johnny Wilson is a sizeable human.

While that may be great on paper, a lot of programs have had trouble turning big receivers into successful receivers. Luckily, Texas has Lil’Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, Malcolm Epps, Brennan Eagles, and John Burt in their pocket. Using these guys as examples, the coaches were able to show Wilson how he would be used and that the formula is capable of success. This tactic seems to have struck a chord with the big pass-catcher, “Seeing the other receivers they have and their size really stood out to me… I know that if I decide to come to Texas, [my] size at the receiver position wouldn’t be a problem.”

While many say that Austin is like a slice of California in Texas, there are still significant differences between the two places. During his time here, Wilson has been taking his time traveling around Austin to get a feel for the city, and the thing that has stood out the most about his time in the city has been the good eating down in Texas, “My favorite part about the trip has to be the food. The BBQ out here in Texas is something different!”

So far, I’d say Texas is hitting on all the right notes for Wilson and the family. He was planning to leave on Sunday with his mother, but he loved his trip here and postponed leaving until Wednesday. All of this and he still hasn’t even officially visited Texas. However, Wilson did inform me that he does plan on taking an official visit during the football season, likely after his mother has given birth to his younger sibling.

Texas Commits Enjoy Visit to Austin
– Andrew King

It was a huge recruiting weekend for Texas in terms of hosting uncommitted recruits. But it was another great opportunity for Texas to get some commits back on campus to keep strengthening relationships and have them recruiting other prospects.

Two guys I spoke to were SA O’Connor (TX) offensive guard Logan Parr and Bishop Dunne (TX) athlete Jaden Hullaby.

Parr told me “It was a lot of fun getting to see the coaches again and playing pool basketball with guys like [Texas commit] Ja’Quinden Jackson and Rueben Fatheree.” While this was a great opportunity for Parr to recruit some other guys to Texas, he also enjoyed the low-key event the Texas staff put on. Telling me “All the guys know where I want them to go so at this point it’s just trying to build a relationship with them that even if they don’t pick Texas we’ll share that bond for years to come.”

Hullaby had a similar answer, telling me “It was a great visit, that’s home no question about it. I’m always recruiting  but I definitely had a good time with the guys.” Hullaby was on his official visit this weekend, and one guy he was recruiting and had a great time with was Texas’ newest commit cornerback Kitan Crawford.

One other note I’d pass along that is making a huge impact is the commitment of Duncanville (TX) athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson. While he’s the opposite of most recruits in today’s age, in terms of all the glitz and glam that can come with the recruitment process. One person told me “There’s not a player in DFW that doesn’t respect the hell out of him, and his commitment to Texas has a lot of people talking.” Obviously, assistant Rashaad Samples is a big reason why Texas has a real chance to make a real impact in DFW this cycle, Jackson’s commitment is only helping in that regard.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

While that may be great on paper, a lot of programs have had trouble turning big receivers into successful receivers. Luckily, Texas has Lil’Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, Malcolm Epps, Brennan Eagles, and John Burt in their pocket. Using these guys as examples, the coaches were able to show Wilson how he would be used and that the formula is capable of success. This tactic seems to have struck a chord with the big pass-catcher, “Seeing the other receivers they have and their size really stood out to me… I know that if I decide to come to Texas, [my] size at the receiver position wouldn’t be a problem.”

Related image

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Related image

Ok, I get it but let's not ignore the fact that Burt's rehab seems to be on schedule. The limited times he was asked into a game last year did not end with a dropped ball. He seemed aggressive and fast in his limited reps which is all about confidence, I'm hopeful it continues on that trend.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Most importantly, Texas is still a major player! 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

She offered me a parting shot: "I’m/we're still positive regarding Texas! Texas visit set the standard for the remaining schools to exceed the expectations! Obviously, all schools are offering pretty much the same great education, strong brotherhood, mentorship, community service, spiritual life

He gone