Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

18 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

whoosh

How does one detail a train?

By closing your mom’s bedroom door?

11 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Only want Princley if Collins is in as well. 4 DL class with Broughton, Collins, Princley and Fillinger would be have many very gruntled.

Stop being a fucking pussy. Life is better without fearing every shadow. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Just now, closetojumping said:

Apparently, Umanlymannishman spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher’s face during the pool party. Fisher got pissed, climbed out of the pool and stormed off. The coaches stopped speaking with Princely after that and he basically ended up doing an Irish goodbye for the ice cream was served. 

Channeling your inner @Hank Scorpio, I see.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently, Umanlymannishman spiked a volleyball in Jimbo Fisher’s face during the pool party. Fisher got pissed, climbed out of the pool and stormed off. The coaches stopped speaking with Princely after that and he basically ended up doing an Irish goodbye for the ice cream was served. 

BriefSameElk-size_restricted.gif

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Clearly Winbo did not dodge the wrench beforehand either.

Mike Roach: The backstory on Bijan Robinson...

Let me start off by saying that I got a late start to this recruitment. In my previous capacity, EJ was handling the out of state guys for the most part, and I didn't have much of a relationship with Robinson. I had a couple of contacts in his area that I started corresponding with in the spring when I was promoted.

In May, I spoke with a very good source in Arizona who told me that he would be very surprised if Robinson didn't end up at Texas from the way he was talking. When Robinson made his OV to Texas, I was told multiple times by sources that they were surprised he didn't come out of the visit committed. I was told that Texas checked all of the boxes and had the appealing depth chart for him. In fact, the source I spoke with in May told me he was under the impression that Bijan was going on his OV to Texas with the intention to commit.

Robinson left Austin and went to the Rivals challenge where all the Ohio State buzz started up. The information just didn't make sense based on what I was told by multiple sources. After digging quite a bit, I finally learned that Robinson was in fact telling people he was headed to Ohio State. Fast forward to last Sunday. I woke up to a post from Ohio State reporter Bill Kurelic stating sources at Ohio State were no longer confident in Bijan landing there. The natural jump was to think Texas would be the beneficiary, but I hadn't heard anything like that. I also heard that USC may be one to watch.

After spending the early part of the week checking, I didn't hear much positivity on the Texas side, but our sources on the USC side weren't professing much either. I think both staffs almost wrote him off at that point. After talking with our national team of analysts like Steve Wiltfong, Blair Angulo, and Greg Biggins, I started to gain more confidence. I heard mid-week some cautious optimisim coming out of Austin, and that was all I needed.

That brings me to a small tangent. Having worked at an independent site in the past, I can't stress enough the value of our network. Being behind in this recruitment, I received a lot of help from those national analysts, especially Blair. I think sometimes fans feel they aren't getting value if they don't hear it from me, but the value of your subscription is in the comprehensive coverage we can bring as a network. The strength of the wolf is the pack. I plan to make a trip to El Paso this fall to see Salpointe Catholic in action, and we'll talk to Bijan more there. That's about all I have on this story, but we will see what else we can uncover.

6 minutes ago, fellside said:

...that isn't a backstory.  That's an explanation of why he didn't know anything and still doesn't.

Lmao.... let me summarize:

”guys, here’s the low down on this recruitment.  I never spoke to Bijan bc it was EJs job.  When EJ left, I still never spoke to him.  My friend from Arizona told me he would commit at the Texas visit.  Then he went to the rivals camps and I read on message boards that he gave a silent to osu.  Then I had no clue what was going on last week.  I tried to read message boards and figure out what’s happening.  Then he picked Texas.  You’re lucky your $9.95 got you this info thanks to the national guys that also had no clue what’s happening in this recruitment.” 

Edited by victory88
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lulz. I thought I was on Texags for a minute.

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yes, the Texas staff wrote him off.

imagine having a job and doing a self-assessment of your work on a project and the sum of your report was basically “I had no idea what I was doing.”

Based on the quality of your posts, I’d assume that’s happened many, many times to you. 

• Haha 2

Looking at this chart, we have 77 on scholarship after subtracting DmB. 11 Seniors. Not a lot of early entry NFL candidates, but Cosmi might go. Not a lot of washout/transfer candidates, maybe Urquidez. Injury retirement for Cummins wouldn’t shock me based on how little game time appears to be in the cards for him. That’s a 2020 class of 20 if 2/3 of the guys I listed leave. There are almost always a couple others that go for some reason. 22 seems like a plausible max for this year. 20 might do it, though, if there are no late must-takes.

Princely is a guy that is very much influenced by perception.  Dude was all aggy shitting on Texas when we went through our May and June drought.  Now that players are all picking Texas when the decisions come, he wants to make sure he’s joining the “it” team.  If Broughton, Connor, Milroe, etc has picked aggy, he’d still be trending that way.

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Princely is a guy that is very much influenced by perception.  Dude was all aggy shitting on Texas when we went through our May and June drought.  Now that players are all picking Texas when the decisions come, he wants to make sure he’s joining the “it” team.  If Broughton, Connor, Milroe, etc has picked aggy, he’d still be trending that way.

Same is true with Adeleye in the '21 class. 

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Nahlin called this a few weeks ago. Said he saw Princely as someone who wanted to play with his friends who were also considered the best DL in TX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

This is primarily a consequence of his desire to not want to be in a 3 man front and him devouring the negative recruiting bullshit A&M feeds him without hesitation which feeds into his own bias. These kids care about stats in college and not NFL longevity/attaining a second contract. Luckily for us, aggy seems to be derailing their own train for us. 

Whatever our pitch is concerning our 3 man front and our counter-pitches to those negatively recruiting it, they seem to have gotten through to Broughton originally and are now getting through to Princely. Another bonus is that Broughton is constantly in Princely's ear. That's a big deal, esp. considering Tunmise in 2021 is still on the bullshit bandwagon of our 3 man front.

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That brings me to a small tangent. Having worked at an independent site in the past, I can't stress enough the value of our network. Being behind in this recruitment, I received a lot of help from those national analysts, especially Blair. I think sometimes fans feel they aren't getting value if they don't hear it from me, but the value of your subscription is in the comprehensive coverage we can bring as a network. The strength of the wolf is the pack. I plan to make a trip to El Paso this fall to see Salpointe Catholic in action, and we'll talk to Bijan more there. That's about all I have on this story, but we will see what else we can uncover.

Wasn't Blair basically  the  last guy to switch his CB to Texas?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There are somethings in life that I NEED to be true. This is one of those things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

This is primarily a consequence of his desire to not want to be in a 3 man front and him devouring the negative recruiting bullshit A&M feeds him without hesitation which feeds into his own bias. These kids care about stats in college and not NFL longevity/attaining a second contract. Luckily for us, aggy seems to be derailing their own train for us. 

Whatever our pitch is concerning our 3 man front and our counter-pitches to those negatively recruiting it, they seem to have gotten through to Broughton originally and are now getting through to Princely. Another bonus is that Broughton is constantly in Princely's ear. That's a big deal, esp. considering Tunmise in 2021 is still on the bullshit bandwagon of our 3 man front.

Recruits aren't always this logic-based in their decision making. Evans isn't really moving away from Texas because they "barely beat Georgia." That is just his rationalization for his decision to eliminate Texas, but the real reasons are something else. Recruits might repeat the "3 man front" line, but these negative recruiting talking points are just as likely to be the justification for decisions that are more emotional or "gut feel" than fraught with objective reasoning.

22 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Looking at this chart, we have 77 on scholarship after subtracting DmB. 11 Seniors. Not a lot of early entry NFL candidates, but Cosmi might go. Not a lot of washout/transfer candidates, maybe Urquidez. Injury retirement for Cummins wouldn’t shock me based on how little game time appears to be in the cards for him. That’s a 2020 class of 20 if 2/3 of the guys I listed leave. There are almost always a couple others that go for some reason. 22 seems like a plausible max for this year. 20 might do it, though, if there are no late must-takes.

That chart still shows Boyd and McCoy. Texas has 79 scholarships and a senior class of 12, unless Braun RS.

• Like 1