Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kicking around London for a few days and now caught up on over 400 posts while on a train (Surly first class cabin of course) for a few hours. Some good tidbits and above average entertainment. Advantage aggy.

Biggie with the humblebrag. 

7 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kicking around London for a few days and now caught up on over 400 posts while on a train (Surly first class cabin of course) for a few hours. Some good tidbits and above average entertainment. Advantage aggy.

I read the whole thread here in the Omaha airport. So there. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Great Western Railways from Paddington Station to Cardiff about 2 hour trip

If GWR is the one I remember correctly, it’s pretty nice. There were a couple other rails that were shitty.

/railtalknotgoingaway

IT Q&A (EN = Eric Nahlin, JW = Justin Wells). There's more stuff aboug 2021 recruiting and team discussion, but here's what they've said so far).

Q: Do you still think Ty Jordan will decide before the season?

EN: I do.

JW: He wants to. Whether he does or not remains to be seen.

Q: Texas asking [Ty Jordan] to wait? If so, what the hell for?

JW: Nope.

Q: Your best guess on a Collins commit? Before season or September? October?

EN: I"ve had the feeling it will be before the season, but I don't base that on solid intel. I.e., I don't know it will happen. If it doesn't happen it doesn't change my read on the recruitment.

Q: Could the number potentially go up to 25 for this class if we have a spectacular season?

EN: I doubt it.

Q: I know yall have mentioned Demas being solid, but noticed 9 of the ags 17 commits are four stars, but 5 of the 9 are the east coast out of state commits. If wheels come off, didn't know if you had any ideas of how solid those commits are?

EN: That isn't happening.

Q: Also, with a win over LSU how many commits do you think would happen that weekend? (I know impossible to know, just a random guess)

EN: Maybe one or two. Depends on how the staff plays things. I doubt the outcome of the game matters.

Q: Would either of you be surprised if Zach Evans showed up in Austin for the LSU game? I’m not sure anything from that recruitment would surprise me...

EN: Maybe if Kevin Gates or Lee Brice do the halftime show.

JW: You answered your question.

Q: Is there a 2020 recruitment that we should be paying more attention to?

EN: Josh White, at least for the next few weeks. Let's see how the LSU game goes.

JW: Josh White.

Q: UT still in contact with Jaylon Jones?

JW: Yes, coach Washington still stays in touch with the Jones family.

Q: Interesting.. could anything happen here [with Jaylon Jones] or is this highly highly unlikely?

Joe Cook: I personally doubt it. Jones saw an opportunity to play early at A&M. The family did their research too, this wasn’t a rushed decision. The Joneses were very receptive to Jason Washington and what Texas pitched to them, though. But Jaylon took all that in mind and decided A&M was where he wanted to be. Last I checked with them they were very happy with that decision. Jaylon’s been heavily recruiting for A&M, too.

Q: Anything new on Jaxon Smith-Njigba?

JW: Nah. Nothing to see here until he visits, IMO.

Q: Does [Smith-Njigba] visit?

JW: He might. He has a few times.

Q: My two favorite underrated guys last class were Sweat and Washington (although my guy the year before was Carson, so we'll see) . Who are your sleepers for this class? I think right now its Karic for me.

EN: I loved Sweat. People don't appreciate COD enough unless the dude is Barry Sanders or some **** -- they just look for explosion off the ball. It's why Broughton is being slept on as a five-star. When Washington committed I was blowing it up on Twitter and a source hit me, "He was a five-star in ESPN's first rankings. They had it closer than anybody else." Then you see Urban Meyer's texts that were released discussing him and it makes you feel real good. Stud. Love the tape. You can't steal Karic from me bro. I was on him long ago. I should have been higher on Jerrin initially. I think he's a maximizer with better man skills than I initially thought. Good frame and tough. Happy to have him. I like what Ty Jordan would add to the class. I was advocating for them to push back in the spring. He has an Eno mindset. Guys who are uncommitted: I think Courtland Ford is going to have a good year. Robert Wooten is a steal for Mizzou. If John Gentry moved to safety he'd have NFL potential. Caleb Medford will wreck at TCU. Allen Horace may look like a miss especially in a class where UT passes on TE (Hullaby's more an H-back type or LB). I think Drake Dabney has a high floor (low ceiling) at TE. L.B. Moore headed to Tech is a player at OLB. And then a couple of ETX guys I would actually consider pursuing are Savion Williams and Kelvontay Dixon.

JW: Thompson and Hullaby.

Q: Do you think we'll start to see fewer traditional recievers rostered due to an uptick in RB/HB, HB/YB, and YB/WR hybrids, while still rostering 4-5 RBs and 2-4 traditional TEs?

EN: I think it's an easy place to hit evals and supplement on the waiver wire so maybe so. You also don't have to red-shirt many of them. It's a position you can cut corners and as you alluded too they love TE's. Find elite guys and keep the number low. Guys like Quay Davis and Earle if they can get him need to be thrown on the field immediately.

Q: What percentage Samples joins the staff in 5 months?

JW: Low.

Q: Scipio mentioned that some highly rated targets that are already committed elsewhere are reaching out to the coaches. How hopeful can we be that this list includes Ransom and/or Ringo?

JW: Ransom, Wilson, and Jaxon Ninja Smith.

Q: Biggest surprise to you so far in the 2020 recruiting cycle?

JW: Ethan Pouncey to Texas. And Georgia taking Lindberg.

EN:  The Lull.

Q: Xavion Alford says Alec Bryant will be with him at Texas vs LSU. Is Bryant still a take for Texas? Are we still recruiting Josh White? And where else do we go for LB?

JW:  I don’t think so [on Bryant]. Very productive HS player, but not much ceiling in college.  Yes, on White. More names may emerge [at LB], like every cycle for Herman.

Q: Do y’all think Wilson will take his OV still?

JW: He’s said he will.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Q: Also, with a win over LSU how many commits do you think would happen that weekend? (I know impossible to know, just a random guess)

EN: Maybe one or two. Depends on how the staff plays things. I doubt the outcome of the game matters.

Q: Is there a 2020 recruitment that we should be paying more attention to?

EN: Josh White, at least for the next few weeks. Let's see how the LSU game goes.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Q: Anything new on Jaxon Smith-Njigba?

JW: Nah. Nothing to see here until he visits, IMO.

Q: Does [Smith-Njigba] visit?

JW: He might. He has a few times.

Tired Monday Mood GIF by TV Land

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, that was dumb. But translating, I think he meant that JSN visited UT before committing to tOSU. For Texas to have a chance, he will have to return to UT for a visit.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My interpretation of the first one is that Josh White isn't one of the two potential commits he had in mind (announcing at or right after the game).

Translations and interpretations really should not be necessary for people paid to write about something for a living. 

• Like 1

Scipio mentioned that some highly rated targets that are already committed elsewhere are reaching out to the coaches. How hopeful can we be that this list includes Ransom and/or Ringo?

JW: Ransom, Wilson, and Jaxon Ninja Smith.

Help a brother out 

Edited by Post Oak

Just now, Post Oak said:

Scipio mentioned that some highly rated targets that are already committed elsewhere are reaching out to the coaches. How hopeful can we be that this list includes Ransom and/or Ringo?

Help a brother out 

https://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Wilson-46036733/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Help a brother out 

NVM. I got it

Spoiler

When recent Texas commitment Xavion Alford was going back and forth between A&M and Texas towards the end of his recruitment, he told some people that he would possibly still take some other visits after he committed since he was so torn.

I talked to Alford last night, and it sounds like he's now completely locked in with his Texas commitment.

Alford told me A&M has continued to text him since his commitment last Friday, but he hasn't responded at all.

"There’s no decommitting for me at all," Alford said.

Alford will graduate in December and already has a January 14 move-in date to start his UT career. 

Full report in the War Room tomorrow.

OB on Alford and visits

• Like 8

21 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

20 hours ago, thepop said:

Piccadilly line?

I rode the Piccadilly Line a few times in May. 

There was a lot of LOW class, but no 1st class.