Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

14 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

After Evans’ first two dustups with UGA coaches in preseason, their $9.95ers will he reporting “He’s a Georgia Bulldog, but barely.”

If he signed his LOI and the Georgia coaches tell him to pound sand, they lose a scholarship but is he free to leave or does he have to enter the portal?  

Lots of smoke...
Report from Anwar and Feldman this morning. 

The fact that the source also threw in another name sounds like Texas leaking the lead. That either means they think he could go to Pedo so they”re trying to force his hand quickly, or that he is going to Pedo, so Texas is saving face about losing him and pushing their second candidate.

If the latter is true, that’s a good order of candidates imo.

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

As if we needed anymore evidence what a shithead he is:

I love how people determined to hate Herman choose to blindly trust Zach Smith, known domestic abuser and pathological liar. Dude made it work with future WRs at QB at Ohio State and D'eriq King at Houston and you're telling me he looked at Lamar Jackson and thought nah?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

It just said "Damn" and quoted Smith's tweet. The fact that he'd choose to post something siding with Smith despite all of the documented evidence to the contrary says everything you need to know about FWK.

Fuck that guy. I hope he gets popped Will Lyles style and winds up sweeping the fucking floor at Target. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

It just said "Damn" and quoted Smith's tweet. The fact that he'd choose to post something siding with Smith despite all of the documented evidence to the contrary says everything you need to know about FWK.

Fuck that guy. I hope he gets popped Will Lyles style and winds up sweeping the fucking floor at Target. 

IIRC, Lyles ended up behind the register at a Houston area Spec's.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sure, that’s true. I helped put him there. But that didn’t stop him. He is the handler that sold Waddle to Tosh Lupoi and Bama. He’s selling players to the highest bidder every year. Still. 

Now to do the same to FWK. What happened with the smoke earlier in the year?

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

any word on whether Beck would be willing to move to TE coach? he cant be any worse than Warehime. and a little cross training wouldn't hurt his marketability,  now since his OC prospects are shit. 

keeping him for his recruiting would be great. 

Folks on the football board's coaching staff thread are saying that some of the $9.95ers are reporting that Beck's locker is cleaned out.

Stampede

Spoiler

New Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash hit the ground running after being announced last week. Ash was on the phone early in the week with commits leading up to signing day to re-assure them about his defensive plan, and I’m told it helped to calm some fears. As a defensive back coach, Ash uses employs a quarters defense with a lot of press coverage. I’m told that this appealed to the defensive backs in the class like Kitan Crawford and Xavion Alford.

Alford told me following his team’s state championship win that he thought he might have been the first commit Ash called when he got the job. So far, the feedback I’ve heard from anyone (coach or player) that interacted with Ash has been extremely positive. Ash also is in contact with several 2021 prospects.

I spoke with a source very close to four-star Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye who said that Ash reached out almost immediately after getting the job. The source said Adeleye has some renewed interest in Texas if they are returning to a four-man front. I was told that Adeleye’s concerns with Texas would now revolve around the mood of the team following a tough year. The big-time prospect is set to drop a list of top schools in January before making spring officials and committing during the summer.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
I don’t expect Texas to make the list of top schools, but I was told that won’t matter. Adeleye will likely visit Texas a few times during the spring to meet with Ash and gauge the morale of the team. If he likes what he sees, Texas could be right back in the race for him and in line for an official visit.

247Sports’ northeast regional analyst Brian Dohn spoke with Horns247 about Ash’s recruiting style from his time covering him at Rutgers.

“He was tireless,” Dohn said. “When you looked at how hard he worked I don’t think any head coach was working harder than him. He worked really hard to build relationships. When prospects spoke about Rutgers they spoke about Ash, his honesty and integrity. He was known to be honest with recruits and their family. He was the defining person when it came to recruiting more than the assistant coaches. He was so in-tune with where the kids were going. They did a really good job identifying top-end talent early in the process. They struggled to keep that talent at home in New Jersey, but they were typically the ones to find them first.”

While at the Texas high school state championship games, I had the opportunity to speak with several high school coaches, and the most common questions I heard revolved around my thoughts on Ash and who the new offensive coordinator might be. Coaches from all over the state are tuned in here because there is an interest in seeing the Longhorns back among the elite in college football.

That said, coaches are going to be careful about sending their kids to places that have a bad reputation. For instance, one coach I spoke with mentioned another Big 12 school as a place that would never get another kid of his. Texas isn’t quite there yet, but coaches are starting to grow a bit restless with the up and down nature and drama of it all.

(Photo: Greg Roach, 247Sports)
The state championship games allowed for Texas commits and targets to show their skills on the field. Here are some quick hitters on the intel I was able to pick up at AT&T stadium.

—Carthage wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon torched Waco La Vega en-route to a state championship win and an offensive MVP award. Dixon is still in contact with Derek Warehime, but he was also being recruited by Drew Mehringer. He said he still hears frequently from the Texas staff and will take an official visit in January. Baylor is starting to make some noise in this recruitment, and UTSA will be a threat with Jeff Traylor in the head coaching role. I think Texas sits in the lead for now, but they will have to finish this race off now that Dixon’s high school career is over and his focus turns to recruiting.

—Pleasant Grove defensive lineman Landon Jackson enjoys playing the game a bit. The day before Pleasant Grove’s state championship, Jackson was photographed in Texas A&M gear. When he got off the bus at AT&T Stadium, he was wearing a Texas shirt under his jacket. Needless to say, he knows how to move the needle in-state. It’s easy to see that those programs are right at the top of the list, but don’t sleep on Ohio State in this race. The Buckeyes are pitching Jackson on being the next Chase Young, and he’s certainly listening to that. Jackson is one player that the move back to a four-man front would benefit, and he’ll be a priority for the Texas staff moving forward.

—It will be interesting to see where Texas goes with Pleasant Grove defensive tackle Marcus Burris during the year. Burris has been complimentary about Texas, but sources tell Horns247 that he’d be more at home in a small-town campus like Texas A&M or Arkansas. The Longhorns will likely remain in his top group, but I think they are near the back end of favorites for Burris.

—I spoke to a source at Denton Ryan regarding Texas commits Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders. The source stressed that Sanders is solid in his commitment regarding the change of defensive coordinators. Billy Bowman had some concerning comments following Todd Orlando’s dismissal. The source I spoke with thought that Bowman would come around and that the hiring of a coordinator that specializes in defensive backs would help calm things down. For now, it seems like there is no reason to worry about the exceptional prospects from Denton county.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford said that he always planned to sign with Texas, but he did appreciate the opportunity to talk with Ash before signing day. Alford feels that the new defensive style will fit what he does well, and he told me that Ash made it clear he’s looking for physical, athletic defensive backs. Alford’s knee injury that kept him out all year is almost healed, and he expects to be full strength when he enrolls in January.

—Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks opened some eyes on the field this weekend. Texas offered earlier in the fall, but Cooks didn’t speak much following that. Cooks mentioned Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington and Florida as schools standing out to him right now. Tom Herman is the coach he’s hearing from most at Texas which shows where the Longhorns view him.

—Texas remains in the race with Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle, but what what once seemed like a runaway is now a much closer race. Had Texas taken care of business this year, Earle would probably be committed already. As things stand now, Earle is choosing to take some time to evaluate his options. LSU is a school that closed the gap, and I’m told they will be the biggest opponents down the stretch for the Longhorns to contend with.

—Ja’Quinden Jackson didn’t get to play in the state finals because of his knee injury, but Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples announced after the game that doctors discovered Jackson only suffered a partial tear and there was optimism around his recovery. I was told that he’s expected to have surgery and recover in time to play for fall.

—Texas is still in a very good place with Savion Byrd, but LSU, SMU, and Oklahoma will be tough opponents. 

Byrd hasn’t visited very many schools, and he’s incredibly close with Ja’Quinden Jackson. Now that Jackson is signed, Texas will have a strong weapon to use in Byrd’s recruitment.

Over the last few weeks, Texas made a few out of state offers.

—I’m told that Georgia cornerback Isaiah Dunson is expected to make a visit to Texas in January. If the Longhorns do indeed get him on campus, it would bode well for their chances with the four-star defensive back.

"<b
 (Photo: Sonny Shipp, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
—Texas also offered Georgia running back Jahmyr Gibbs. The Georgia Tech runner looks sensational on film, and it’s likely schools like LSU are going to go all in on him. Texas is still looking for a second running back target and working to get Gibbs on campus in January as well.

—Louisiana speedster Corey Wren was offered over the weekend. Wren told Horns247 that he plans to make a visit in January, and the electric prospect will likely focus on the Longhorns along with schools like Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Florida State, and TCU.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Curious if Byrd moves back to offense?

That might be his best position. 

He will. His coaches were quoted near the end of the season saying basically that they had dominant DTs last year that graduated so they moved Byrd in an effort to help their secondary. Byrd will camp and commit as an o-lineman, and what he plays next year for Duncanville will likely hinge on the development of their other DTs

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He will. His coaches were quoted near the end of the season saying basically that they had dominant DTs last year that graduated so they moved Byrd in an effort to help their secondary. Byrd will camp and commit as an o-lineman, and what he plays next year for Duncanville will likely hinge on the development of their other DTs

I think that's good.

I think he's probably a better O'lineman than D'lineman. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Stampede

Hide contents

New Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash hit the ground running after being announced last week. Ash was on the phone early in the week with commits leading up to signing day to re-assure them about his defensive plan, and I’m told it helped to calm some fears. As a defensive back coach, Ash uses employs a quarters defense with a lot of press coverage. I’m told that this appealed to the defensive backs in the class like Kitan Crawford and Xavion Alford.

Alford told me following his team’s state championship win that he thought he might have been the first commit Ash called when he got the job. So far, the feedback I’ve heard from anyone (coach or player) that interacted with Ash has been extremely positive. Ash also is in contact with several 2021 prospects.

I spoke with a source very close to four-star Katy Tompkins defensive end Tunmise Adeleye who said that Ash reached out almost immediately after getting the job. The source said Adeleye has some renewed interest in Texas if they are returning to a four-man front. I was told that Adeleye’s concerns with Texas would now revolve around the mood of the team following a tough year. The big-time prospect is set to drop a list of top schools in January before making spring officials and committing during the summer.

I don’t expect Texas to make the list of top schools, but I was told that won’t matter. Adeleye will likely visit Texas a few times during the spring to meet with Ash and gauge the morale of the team. If he likes what he sees, Texas could be right back in the race for him and in line for an official visit.

247Sports’ northeast regional analyst Brian Dohn spoke with Horns247 about Ash’s recruiting style from his time covering him at Rutgers.

“He was tireless,” Dohn said. “When you looked at how hard he worked I don’t think any head coach was working harder than him. He worked really hard to build relationships. When prospects spoke about Rutgers they spoke about Ash, his honesty and integrity. He was known to be honest with recruits and their family. He was the defining person when it came to recruiting more than the assistant coaches. He was so in-tune with where the kids were going. They did a really good job identifying top-end talent early in the process. They struggled to keep that talent at home in New Jersey, but they were typically the ones to find them first.”

While at the Texas high school state championship games, I had the opportunity to speak with several high school coaches, and the most common questions I heard revolved around my thoughts on Ash and who the new offensive coordinator might be. Coaches from all over the state are tuned in here because there is an interest in seeing the Longhorns back among the elite in college football.

That said, coaches are going to be careful about sending their kids to places that have a bad reputation. For instance, one coach I spoke with mentioned another Big 12 school as a place that would never get another kid of his. Texas isn’t quite there yet, but coaches are starting to grow a bit restless with the up and down nature and drama of it all.

(Photo: Greg Roach, 247Sports)
The state championship games allowed for Texas commits and targets to show their skills on the field. Here are some quick hitters on the intel I was able to pick up at AT&T stadium.

—Carthage wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon torched Waco La Vega en-route to a state championship win and an offensive MVP award. Dixon is still in contact with Derek Warehime, but he was also being recruited by Drew Mehringer. He said he still hears frequently from the Texas staff and will take an official visit in January. Baylor is starting to make some noise in this recruitment, and UTSA will be a threat with Jeff Traylor in the head coaching role. I think Texas sits in the lead for now, but they will have to finish this race off now that Dixon’s high school career is over and his focus turns to recruiting.

—Pleasant Grove defensive lineman Landon Jackson enjoys playing the game a bit. The day before Pleasant Grove’s state championship, Jackson was photographed in Texas A&M gear. When he got off the bus at AT&T Stadium, he was wearing a Texas shirt under his jacket. Needless to say, he knows how to move the needle in-state. It’s easy to see that those programs are right at the top of the list, but don’t sleep on Ohio State in this race. The Buckeyes are pitching Jackson on being the next Chase Young, and he’s certainly listening to that. Jackson is one player that the move back to a four-man front would benefit, and he’ll be a priority for the Texas staff moving forward.

—It will be interesting to see where Texas goes with Pleasant Grove defensive tackle Marcus Burris during the year. Burris has been complimentary about Texas, but sources tell Horns247 that he’d be more at home in a small-town campus like Texas A&M or Arkansas. The Longhorns will likely remain in his top group, but I think they are near the back end of favorites for Burris.

—I spoke to a source at Denton Ryan regarding Texas commits Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders. The source stressed that Sanders is solid in his commitment regarding the change of defensive coordinators. Billy Bowman had some concerning comments following Todd Orlando’s dismissal. The source I spoke with thought that Bowman would come around and that the hiring of a coordinator that specializes in defensive backs would help calm things down. For now, it seems like there is no reason to worry about the exceptional prospects from Denton county.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford said that he always planned to sign with Texas, but he did appreciate the opportunity to talk with Ash before signing day. Alford feels that the new defensive style will fit what he does well, and he told me that Ash made it clear he’s looking for physical, athletic defensive backs. Alford’s knee injury that kept him out all year is almost healed, and he expects to be full strength when he enrolls in January.

—Shadow Creek linebacker Terrence Cooks opened some eyes on the field this weekend. Texas offered earlier in the fall, but Cooks didn’t speak much following that. Cooks mentioned Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington and Florida as schools standing out to him right now. Tom Herman is the coach he’s hearing from most at Texas which shows where the Longhorns view him.

—Texas remains in the race with Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle, but what what once seemed like a runaway is now a much closer race. Had Texas taken care of business this year, Earle would probably be committed already. As things stand now, Earle is choosing to take some time to evaluate his options. LSU is a school that closed the gap, and I’m told they will be the biggest opponents down the stretch for the Longhorns to contend with.

—Ja’Quinden Jackson didn’t get to play in the state finals because of his knee injury, but Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples announced after the game that doctors discovered Jackson only suffered a partial tear and there was optimism around his recovery. I was told that he’s expected to have surgery and recover in time to play for fall.

—Texas is still in a very good place with Savion Byrd, but LSU, SMU, and Oklahoma will be tough opponents. 

Byrd hasn’t visited very many schools, and he’s incredibly close with Ja’Quinden Jackson. Now that Jackson is signed, Texas will have a strong weapon to use in Byrd’s recruitment.

Over the last few weeks, Texas made a few out of state offers.

—I’m told that Georgia cornerback Isaiah Dunson is expected to make a visit to Texas in January. If the Longhorns do indeed get him on campus, it would bode well for their chances with the four-star defensive back.

"<b
 (Photo: Sonny Shipp, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
—Texas also offered Georgia running back Jahmyr Gibbs. The Georgia Tech runner looks sensational on film, and it’s likely schools like LSU are going to go all in on him. Texas is still looking for a second running back target and working to get Gibbs on campus in January as well.

—Louisiana speedster Corey Wren was offered over the weekend. Wren told Horns247 that he plans to make a visit in January, and the electric prospect will likely focus on the Longhorns along with schools like Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Florida State, and TCU.

Texas HS coaches are such cunts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Stampede

Hide contents

"Had Texas taken care of business this year, X would probably be committed already" is going to be infuriating to read over and over again for the next 6 months