Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Cashcar said:

What improves the roster smart guy? Perhaps you should dial up Herman and tell him his top 5 recruiting classes just aren’t cutting it for you. 

Well, for starters check out how many wide receivers Herman is bringing in in 2020. Some guys are leaving. Some guys may not be good enough. Some depth is necessary. As someone said, we are banking on Lewis and Washington. I assume Herman is pretty happy with the TE room or he just doesn't like our options in high school seniors.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What I am hearing is that those guys are already on our team.

What you should be hearing is your conscious telling you it's a stupid f'ing take.  Duvernay is a beast this year, but he was developed into that, it didn't happen over night.  And any take that describes our linebackers as "meh" without identifying that Ossai is playing like a beast and future 1st rounder is bullshit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

What you should be hearing is your conscious telling you it's a stupid f'ing take.  Duvernay is a beast this year, but he was developed into that, it didn't happen over night.  And any take that describes our linebackers as "meh" without identifying that Ossai is playing like a beast and future 1st rounder is bullshit. 

To be fair if we had more/better "regular" LBs like Mitchell, it'd free Ossai to be a more pure pass rusher and absolutely wreck shop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

To be fair if we had more/better "regular" LBs like Mitchell, it'd free Ossai to be a more pure pass rusher and absolutely wreck shop.

I agree, but I love the way he plays the run and makes tackles 5 and 10 yards down the field, and that's not including the pass rush.  Kid is the best backer we've had in a while. 

2 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Ossai plays B Backer which is a hybrid role. And Dorbah will probably fit there as well. I don't know much about Mpagi. Really, though, I wanted to talk about recruiting as it pertains to holes on the team. B Backer is not a hole. Our traditional linebackers after Shark come from Tillman and Gbenda. Maybe Mitchell and Ayodele are going to be great but I have my doubts. So, yes, I would like to get something out of this class at LB.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Ossai plays B Backer which is a hybrid role. And Dorbah will probably fit there as well. I don't know much about Mpagi. Really, though, I wanted to talk about recruiting as it pertains to holes on the team. B Backer is not a hole. Our traditional linebackers after Shark come from Tillman and Gbenda. Maybe Mitchell and Ayodele are going to be great but I have my doubts. So, yes, I would like to get something out of this class at LB.

We're all probably going to have to wait until the JUCOs emerge late like they always do.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, for starters check out how many wide receivers Herman is bringing in in 2020. Some guys are leaving. Some guys may not be good enough. Some depth is necessary. As someone said, we are banking on Lewis and Washington. I assume Herman is pretty happy with the TE room or he just doesn't like our options in high school seniors.

Wait, I thought Omeire was the TE in this class?

What you're missing, is that like every other school in the country, we're going to lose some seniors off the roster, and there won't be a miracle player immediately ready to step in and be more experienced and better. If you want that, you'd have to have a junior on the roster that is essentially equal or better, and if that was the case, then he'd be playing and starting. That's why senior studs are senior studs. So you develop what you have, and hope that your freshmen and sophomores step up. Thus far, it appears that Eagles and Smith have been electric, and will be more than capable starters in a great offense. So now we're just hoping that Epps can get better and replace Johnson, or one of the other guys on the roster will step up, and we shouldn't see too much of a drop-off. Otherwise, all the TE's return and are hopefully better, and the RBs all return too. 

Herman is stocking the class with tons of upside guys that will hopefully not needed for a couple years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was trying to edit my earlier post but was too slow. Edits are below what I previously typed. And my last comments are not at all directed toward you. All of it was written before I saw your post but it does pertain to your post.

Reading comprehension. The true freshman is good. Is he great? Will he spread the field and provide explosive plays? Do we need a backup or starter in this recruiting class? Is what we have an equal or better replacement for Duvernay?

This year we are losing our top 2 receivers. Sure we have guys to replace them. So when those replacements come in is our receiver group going to be better, equal, or worse. We have Eagles and Smith and then we have question marks. And even with Smith, I'm not sure he is the one to be the difference maker between a good offense and a great one. I'm not convinced he will be equal to or better than Duvernay. If you think that is an attack on his ability, I don't know what to tell you. All I'm talking about is that we lack explosive playmakers that may or may not be on campus.

It is stupid to think we will have no holes on offense next year. Our line is good. We lose three but we have loads of talent coming in. We still may need a grad transfer. Our running back room will be great next year as long as Ingram stays healthy and Bijan comes in ready. Everyone knows what we have at QB. And yes, we could potentially use Whittington more in the passing game to help with explosive plays. But, we will need equal or better play at TE and WR. It is hard to tell what Wiley and Liebrock will look like next year and if Leiato or Brewer will make major strides.

The WR room has a ton of guys but it is hard to tell who will step up. Smith and Eagles seem very good. Eagles in particular will shine in a starters role. He will add some explosive plays for the offense. Smith, may or may not equal Duvernay's production. Then the third receiver we hope will be Washington but it is a little unclear currently.

If you don't want to talk about recruiting as it pertains to the field of play, that is fine. But don't act like a condescending dick when someone wants to have an actual discussion regarding how recruiting will fill in gaps in our current roster or what is lacking on our current team. 

I just want to point out that Jake Smith is by far our most productive receiver on a per snap basis. Catches, yards, TDs, any metric you want to use.

Plus Herman's offenses always have great production from slot players. I don't see any reason to question his ability to replace Duvernay next year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I just want to point out that Jake Smith is by far our most productive receiver on a per snap basis. Catches, yards, TDs, any metric you want to use.

Plus Herman's offenses always have great production from slot players. I don't see any reason to question his ability to replace Duvernay next year.

I'll follow up with the stats. Count (per snap). I threw in Lil'Jordan's stats for fun. 

Devin Duvernay: 210 snaps. 39 catches (.186) / 377 yards (1.800) / 9.7 ypc / 4 TD (.019)

Jake Smith: 58 snaps. 13 catches (.224) / 150 yards (2.586) / 11.5 ypc (but muh explosive plays) / 4TD (.069)

Lil'Jordan Humphrey: 846 snaps. 86 catches (.102) / 1176 yards (1.390) / 13.7 ypc / 9 TD (.011)

Of course this isn't to say Smith is better than either DevDuv or LJH, but the dude is already producing at an elite level. 

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wait, I thought Omeire was the TE in this class?

What you're missing, is that like every other school in the country, we're going to lose some seniors off the roster, and there won't be a miracle player immediately ready to step in and be more experienced and better. If you want that, you'd have to have a junior on the roster that is essentially equal or better, and if that was the case, then he'd be playing and starting. That's why senior studs are senior studs. So you develop what you have, and hope that your freshmen and sophomores step up. Thus far, it appears that Eagles and Smith have been electric, and will be more than capable starters in a great offense. So now we're just hoping that Epps can get better and replace Johnson, or one of the other guys on the roster will step up, and we shouldn't see too much of a drop-off. Otherwise, all the TE's return and are hopefully better, and the RBs all return too. 

Herman is stocking the class with tons of upside guys that will hopefully not needed for a couple years.

I agree with this. But we do have question marks on the roster and holes in the current team. That doesn't mean we can't compete with anyone in the country, it just means that there are places to improve. Everyone can look at the stars given to Cook, but if you actually watch the games, it is pretty clear that Green is better. So are Cook and Jamison and Boyce going to improve enough to shut down passing games when we aren't getting a pass rush or do we have some younger guys who will step up. You aren't going to get NFL caliber transfers, so you need to look at recruits. Even if they don't start as true freshmen, they will be needed as backups. Out of the three we have now, I would put my money on Crawford. Ringo, of course, would be the most likely if he committed. Anyway, this is just how I look at recruiting. My comments shouldn't be taken as doom and gloom. It is just looking to address needs.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If this ends up being a class of 25 will we still be able to take 25 next class?  21' class should be 25 minimum.

We are currently at 82 with 15 SRs. With Johnson already in the portal, and Moore likely done at Texas, that gets Texas to 20. Which is number of commits they have right now.

There are currently 14 JRs and 19 SOs. The attrition would have to mainly come from the 2018 class to get to 25 for 2021.

Attrition candidates moving forward

NFL Draft

Cosmi(2019, 2020), Ingram(2020), Eagles(2020), Ossai(2020), Sterns(2020), Foster(2020), Cook (2020), Jamison (2020), Green (2020), Mitchell (2020)

Medical

Cummins, Brown, Floyd

Portal

Adeoye, Woodard, Epps, Ghirmai

I wouldn't worry about it numbers with this staff. I think they operate under the impression that most skill position players and dbs will be 3 year guys.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'll follow up with the stats. Count (per snap). I threw in Lil'Jordan's stats for fun. 

Devin Duvernay: 210 snaps. 39 catches (.186) / 377 yards (1.800) / 9.7 ypc / 4 TD (.019)

Jake Smith: 58 snaps. 13 catches (.224) / 150 yards (2.586) / 11.5 ypc (but muh explosive plays) / 4TD (.069)

Lil'Jordan Humphrey: 846 snaps. 86 catches (.102) / 1176 yards (1.390) / 13.7 ypc / 9 TD (.011)

Of course this isn't to say Smith is better than either DevDuv or LJH, but the dude is already producing at an elite level. 

Some of us are old enough to remember when he made Reggie Hemphill-Mapps a player at the slot. Without so much as a polished passer to work with. That slot position will be fine. 

Bevo really went full regard tonight.

Complaining about not having any explosive WRs when Smith and Eagles have catches of 73, 55, 28, 28, and 53 in 4 games. Then trying to say he was talking about holes in the recruiting class when one of his other complaints was no DL who can generate a pass rush in a recruiting class that will likely have Collins, Broughton, Princely, and Fillinger is a special kind of dumb even by Surly standards. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

one of his other complaints was no DL who can generate a pass rush in a recruiting class that will likely have Collins, Broughton, Princely, and Fillinger is a special kind of dumb even by Surly standards. 

he’s not wrong.  we’re talking specifically about rushing the passer.  none of those guys are seen as elite pass rushers.  it would be nice to have an elite edge defender finish the season averaging a sack a game.  we only have one guy on the roster who has even shown flashes of elite pass rushing ability and there’s no guarantee he stays past 2020.

• Like 1

Bevo with possibly the dumbest statements I've ever read on here.

Talent isn't this super rare commodity. We have it in spades all over the roster but especially at WR. We will always move the ball with our WRs. That's not a real concern. Jake Smith has the potential to be better than any WR we've ever had here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Dorbah has the potential to be an elite pass rusher IMO, not sure why it matters whether or not he plays DL.

did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?  it doesn’t matter fuck-all whether or not he plays DL.  the only point that was made was that he’s not a DL.