Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

Well, it took three episodes for it to really start falling apart. Just watched episode three and it was not good.

They’ve done it again: sucked all the fun and joy out of a beloved Star Wars character. It’s the same bullshit they did to Luke in TLJ. I am not digging mopey Obi-Wan, and it doesn’t even make sense given that

this is the same fucking guy who dispatches Maul later, one of the most powerful villains in the whole canon. What, does he start hitting the Jedi Gym or something?

Reva sucks. Young Leia sucks and has no room for a character arc because she’s already the person we meet in Star Wars. Plot holes abound (faster than light travel and laser swords but they can’t get a picture of Obi-Wan to the stormtroopers on the mining planet?). Argh! I’m all about horror Vader but even that couldn’t save this.

They should leave every plot line and character from the OT alone or animate it. New movies and live action TV should be about new characters only (Rogue One was great) with maybe some cameos (see: The Mandalorian). At this point I assume Ahsoka is going to suck. I hope Andor is good.

It’s no wonder MCU is mopping the floor with SW. They still know how to have fun.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Well, it took three episodes for it to really start falling apart. Just watched episode three and it was not good.

They’ve done it again: sucked all the fun and joy out of a beloved Star Wars character. It’s the same bullshit they did to Luke in TLJ. I am not digging mopey Obi-Wan, and it doesn’t even make sense given that

Reveal hidden contents

this is the same fucking guy who dispatches Maul later, one of the most powerful villains in the whole canon. What, does he start hitting the Jedi Gym or something?

Reva sucks. Young Leia sucks and has no room for a character arc because she’s already the person we meet in Star Wars. Plot holes abound (faster than light travel and laser swords but they can’t get a picture of Obi-Wan to the stormtroopers on the mining planet?). Argh! I’m all about horror Vader but even that couldn’t save this.

They should leave every plot line and character from the OT alone or animate it. New movies and live action TV should be about new characters only (Rogue One was great) with maybe some cameos (see: The Mandalorian). At this point I assume Ahsoka is going to suck. I hope Andor is good.

It’s no wonder MCU is mopping the floor with SW. They still know how to have fun.

Ahsoka is Filoni's baby. No way that sucks. He basically created her and her mythos. Ahsoka should kick all kinds of ass. Andor should be good because they it's all new shit. The other stuff, I will watch just cause but yea...

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Ahsoka is Filoni's baby. No way that sucks. He basically created her and her mythos. Ahsoka should kick all kinds of ass. Andor should be good because they it's all new shit. The other stuff, I will watch just cause but yea...

I’m so excited for Andor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Soooooo, if Vader/the Empire knew that Leia is the key to Obi, why did they let her grow up to be a Senator? Why don't they arrest the whole Organa family for conspiring with a Jedi. 

Leia was not the key, her dad was.   She (as well as her dad) was a means to an end.   Kidnap Bail’s daughter, maybe he puts a call out to the Jedi.

And up through A New Hope, the Senate still had some semblance of power.

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Reveal hidden contents

Damn dude I'm really enjoying this and all the new star wars content! (edit: I mean shows, wasn't hot on the sequel trilogy lol) Sorry to hear it's missed the mark so much with you, but I feel almost exactly opposite of you. It's like you're looking for reasons to dislike the show and turn nitpicks into showstoppers. 

It's space. It's magic powers. Suspend your disbelief son, this is a comic book fantasy world lol

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 7

I’ve really enjoyed it so far. A plot hole for me is the fact that Leia goes through these crazy experiences, i.e. hanging between two buildings, jumping roof to roof, being kidnapped etc. But she never mentions any of those experiences later in life? I mean it seems like that would be a pretty major core memory

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

a rando jedi found obi. senator organa found obi. maul found obi. the only people who couldn't find obi on tatooine are the empire. i guess the empire find people as well as their stormtroopers can aim.

before this series, it was confirmed that only maul found obi which is badass because maul became a badass. now with this series, his tatooine location is the worst kept secret in the galaxy.

I haven't watched ROTS in awhile, but, at the end when Organa adopts Leia, isn't it mentioned that Luke would go to Tatooine and Obi-Wan would watch out for him? If so, wouldn't Organa know Obi-Wan was there?

I also thought the rando jedi who ends up getting hanged just happened to be on Tatooine and ran into Obi-Wan not that he "found" him, but maybe I missed something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, slorch said:

Fair enough, but it stands to reason that someone you fully  blamed for the loss of your world would be on the receiving end of some shock and awe punishment. He fucks up the people in the streets, but is just toying with Obi Wan?  

Doesn't add up, other than they have to continue the story.

It's very simple: Vader is torturing him. Killing Ob1 would be a mercy he isn't capable of. 

Vader's murder parade through town demonstrated he could kill him with a mere thought, but he wants more.

Now quit slorching this show and try to enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 2

The internet was the best and worst thing to happen to television.  It's provided us a vehicle for so many different forms of entertainment across almost a dozen platforms simultaneously.  It also provided an avenue for everyone to get their rocks off and rush to criticize and nitpick anything that doesn't scratch their nostalgia jimmies from their childhood. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One issue with the Star Wars universe has always been how powerful strong force users are and can become.  Like kryptonians on earth. 

they try to address it here and there by saying or showing that you can get tired from using it, but it’s always been a kind of a deus  ex machina available whenever the writers need it, and you have to just ignore it at other times. 

20 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’ve really enjoyed it so far. A plot hole for me is the fact that Leia goes through these crazy experiences, i.e. hanging between two buildings, jumping roof to roof, being kidnapped etc. But she never mentions any of those experiences later in life? I mean it seems like that would be a pretty major core memory

How do we know she didn’t?  Presumably, being a leader in the Rebellion, she’s seen some shit by the time ANH happens. She clearly knows how to use a blaster and order people around. We don’t get a ton of dialogue about her childhood in the movies. That’s just the way it is.  So unless we assume that she did absolutely nothing in her childhood we have to assume she did a few things that weren’t dialogued in the 5 total minutes of screen time discussing her past. 

How do we know she didn’t?  Presumably, being a leader in the Rebellion, she’s seen some shit by the time ANH happens. She clearly knows how to use a blaster and order people around. We don’t get a ton of dialogue about her childhood in the movies. That’s just the way it is.  So unless we assume that she did absolutely nothing in her childhood we have to assume she did a few things that weren’t dialogued in the 5 total minutes of screen time discussing her past. 

If they had a sex scene with Han she could have talked to him about it all in bed the next morning.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

Damn @Buzzrock! I’m as big of a Ladt Jedi hater as anyone, but I don’t see the same problem here as when they neutered Luke. After 10 years of an Empirial reboot of the entire galaxy, he has become hopeless. Clearly he will regain faith over the remaining 3 (or more) episodes and become the patient sage that always trusts the will of the force. 

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Maybe she will have her mind wiped or she will only talk to Luke in the OT from a certain point of view?

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I haven't watched ROTS in awhile, but, at the end when Organa adopts Leia, isn't it mentioned that Luke would go to Tatooine and Obi-Wan would watch out for him? If so, wouldn't Organa know Obi-Wan was there?

I also thought the rando jedi who ends up getting hanged just happened to be on Tatooine and ran into Obi-Wan not that he "found" him, but maybe I missed something. 

Yeah, Bail Organa dropped off Obi Wan and Luke on Tatooine and Yoda on Degobah so he knew where they were. Maul only found him because he used the sith and Jedi holocrons together with Ezra. Rando Jedi kid found him because he happened to be hiding out on Tatooine. 

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Hide contents

I agree about some of the questionable plot holes and Reva not being a great character. However, given the context of the story it makes complete sense for Obi Wan’s character to be in his current mental state. His entire family that he’d known for almost his whole life was almost completely eradicated with the help of the apprentice he had trained since he was a child. He then had to confront and (from his perspective) kill the boy whom he’d developed such a strong connection with over the years by dismembering him and watching him burn alive. The empire hunts down anybody force sensitive and kills them or turns them into Inquisitors. Then in this story, he finds out Anakin somehow survived being burnt alive and is on a mission to find and kill Kenobi. With all that in mind, it makes sense for Obi Wan to be shut off from the force and suffering from severe PTSD in the story.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

With all that in mind, it makes sense for Obi Wan to be shut off from the force and suffering from severe PTSD in the story.

Indeed, it would not make sense for him not to be in his current mental state. Do people really expect that he would have just shrugged all of that off?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Indeed, it would not make sense for him not to be in his current mental state. Do people really expect that he would have just shrugged all of that off?

It's been 10 years or so.  He hasn't done anything except waste away on a desert planet and working in some factory, wallowing in guilt and PTSD. 

He buried his fucking lightsaber, so obviously he hasn't been practicing anything. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess he kind of killed Ahsoka. Killed Obi Wan who was looking to become a force ghost. 

That fight was a draw IIRC. He didn't let her get away - they fought to a stalemate and had to escape. 

12 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Soooooo, if Vader/the Empire knew that Leia is the key to Obi, why did they let her grow up to be a Senator? Why don't they arrest the whole Organa family for conspiring with a Jedi. Vader has no problem killing innocent people just cause.

The senate still had power at this point (it isn't until right at the start of Episode 4 that the Senate is finally dissolved). The empire and emperor are still consolidating power.  

12 hours ago, crash_davis said:

kenobi does become a badass again. he kills maul in rebels which is 4ish years after this series takes place. 

which leads me to...

a rando jedi found obi. senator organa found obi. maul found obi. the only people who couldn't find obi on tatooine are the empire. i guess the empire find people as well as their stormtroopers can aim.

before this series, it was confirmed that only maul found obi which is badass because maul became a badass. now with this series, his tatooine location is the worst kept secret in the galaxy.

fuck i'm really beginning to hate the writing in this series.

Just now, Js1 said:

It's been 10 years or so.  He hasn't done anything except waste away on a desert planet and working in some factory, wallowing in guilt and PTSD. 

He buried his fucking lightsaber, so obviously he hasn't been practicing anything. 

Just like Luke who had disconnected from the force - OB1 hasn't been doing much force stuff for 10 years. He's been working in a meat processing facility, keeping an eye on Luke, and being as anonymous as possible. It should be expected that he's rusty. 

Damn dude I'm really enjoying this and all the new star wars content! (edit: I mean shows, wasn't hot on the sequel trilogy lol) Sorry to hear it's missed the mark so much with you, but I feel almost exactly opposite of you. It's like you're looking for reasons to dislike the show and turn nitpicks into showstoppers. 
It's space. It's magic powers. Suspend your disbelief son, this is a comic book fantasy world lol

I’m genuinely happy that you and others are enjoying it. Don’t listen to me and just keep on enjoying it. I am certainly not predisposed to hate it, look at my post after ep 2. But they just keep doing the same shit IMO.

One issue with the Star Wars universe has always been how powerful strong force users are and can become.  Like kryptonians on earth. 

they try to address it here and there by saying or showing that you can get tired from using it, but it’s always been a kind of a deus  ex machina available whenever the writers need it, and you have to just ignore it at other times. 

It’s the same with MCU. On any given day one invincible superhero is stronger than another invincible superhero. You definitely have to just shrug that off.

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The internet was the best and worst thing to happen to television.  It's provided us a vehicle for so many different forms of entertainment across almost a dozen platforms simultaneously.  It also provided an avenue for everyone to get their rocks off and rush to criticize and nitpick anything that doesn't scratch their nostalgia jimmies from their childhood. 

Some of us have watched CW and Rebels from the beginning. In the last decade plus, those two animations were the ONLY Star Wars content worth watching. They were coherent (mostly), well written, and created a more detailed universe for the characters we grew up with and created awesome new characters which most are just now getting introduced to. Those shows established the baseline and canon for the new Star Wars universe. 

So you'll forgive us when new shows sprout up which are poorly written and do a shitty job remotely trying to follow canon established by those 2 animations or tying into the original canon.

So yea, if you haven't been fully immersed from the beginning, then this shit is all cool and exciting. But if you've followed from the start of the universe that Filoni built, you realize that some of the new shows are shit by comparison. 

Some of you are not cursed by knowing.

If you don't like the criticisms, then just put us on ignore. The criticisms are not without merit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

No i don't forgive you.   Star Wars fans are the biggest haters of Star Wars.  I will continue to shout that from the rooftop.

I'd rather have this than nothing.  

Funny. It's fans like us that are giving you all this new content. Filoni had nothing to do with the last trilogy. What a fucking shit show those were. All the new shows are basically ideas and spin off from Filoni. So instead of forgiving, you should say thank you. Without hard core fans which have been geeking up the Filoni content, SW would have died after the last trilogy.

Speaking of, do you have any criticisms of that trilogy or are you a hater if you hated that shit too? If you answered No on the first, then you are a fool. If you as answered yes, then welcome to the club, hater.

No i don't forgive you.   Star Wars fans are the biggest haters of Star Wars.  I will continue to shout that from the rooftop.
I'd rather have this than nothing.  

That’s like saying UT football fans are the biggest haters of UT football when a crap product is put on the field. They know it has been SO much better but gee I guess if they keep wearing burnt orange and sing The Eyes then we should all just enjoy it right?

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

kenobi does become a badass again. he kills maul in rebels which is 4ish years after this series takes place. 

which leads me to...

The simple explanation before this series started was that the Empire wasn't actively "looking" for Obi-wan because he was presumed dead, along with all other prominent Jedi from the Clone Wars.

Even at the beginning of this series they make the comment that they are only finding "scraps", e.g. young untrained Jedi who survived the purge or just force-sensitive kids.

Yes it is now known that Obi-Wan is alive by Vader and the Inquisitors, but the series isn't over yet. Something could happen later in this series that makes everyone think he's dead again.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s like saying UT football fans are the biggest haters of UT football when a crap product is put on the field. They know it has been SO much better but gee I guess if they keep wearing burnt orange and sing The Eyes then we should all just enjoy it right?

Eh I mean, the sequel trilogy (ep 7-8-9) were all horseshit but Rogue One and Solo are both wonderful Starwars movies. I'm enjoying the Vader content in Obi Wan and they're doing an excellent job of including some of the stuff from the Vader comics.

What we're getting right now is lightyears better than the abortion that's been Texas Football for the last decade.

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Funny. It's fans like us that are giving you all this new content. Filoni had nothing to do with the last trilogy. What a fucking shit show those were. All the new shows are basically ideas and spin off from Filoni. So instead of forgiving, you should say thank you. Without hard core fans which have been geeking up the Filoni content, SW would have died after the last trilogy.

Speaking of, do you have any criticisms of that trilogy or are you a hater if you hated that shit too? If you answered No on the first, then you are a fool. If you as answered yes, then welcome to the club, hater.

Crash bud, we're all star wars fans here lol. I am glad Filoni and Favreau have the reigns because Abrams and friends don't know how to love a franchise. I'm not sure why you're so down on Obi Wan, is it because Filoni wasn't the main creative behind it?

And yeah I'm in the ca

Just now, Captainant said:

Eh I mean, the sequel trilogy (ep 7-8-9) were all horseshit but Rogue One and Solo are both wonderful Starwars movies. I'm enjoying the Vader content in Obi Wan and they're doing an excellent job of including some of the stuff from the Vader comics.

What we're getting right now is lightyears better than the abortion that's been Texas Football for the last decade.

Crash bud, we're all star wars fans here lol. I am glad Filoni and Favreau have the reigns because Abrams and friends don't know how to love a franchise. I'm not sure why you're so down on Obi Wan, is it because Filoni wasn't the main creative behind it?

Well said. The idea that Filoni/Faverau have zero input on this series is also funny to me.

They aren't running this show, but Debra Chow is, who was brought in by them for Mandalorian. And they are using the same space/methods they developed (the volume, etc.) and are all part of the Lucasfilm braintrust.

As it were, nitpicking the hell out of plot points of a show that isn't even done yet and/or being mad because it doesn't fit into your own preconceived notions of what the show should be and then filing literally everything Star Wars into the binary "IT'S AWESOME!!/IT SUCKS!!" dichotomy is pretty par-for-the-course for Star Wars fans on the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And yeah I'm in the ca

Well said. The idea that Filoni/Faverau have zero input on this series is also funny to me.

They aren't running this show, but Debra Chow is, who was brought in by them for Mandalorian. And they are using the same space/methods they developed (the volume, etc.) and are all part of the Lucasfilm braintrust.

As it were, nitpicking the hell out of plot points of a show that isn't even done yet and/or being mad because it doesn't fit into your own preconceived notions of what the show should be and then filing literally everything Star Wars into the binary "IT'S AWESOME!!/IT SUCKS!!" dichotomy is pretty par-for-the-course for Star Wars fans on the internet.

i am interested how they will tie up some of the issues they are creating. will save those discussions until the end of the series. but to suspend belief and dismiss obvious bullshit writing and moments just means your tolerance to bullshit is higher than others. nothing to do with fandom.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i am interested how they will tie up some of the issues they are creating. will save those discussions until the end of the series. but to suspend belief and dismiss obvious bullshit writing and moments just means your tolerance to bullshit is higher than others. nothing to do with fandom.

No, it has to do with what one considers "bullshit."

Every whiny complaint about this show that I've seen in this thread has a reasonable explanation in either existing canon or potentially in the last 3 hours of this show.

Just because you don't like a particular explanation doesn't mean that it isn't valid.

Is this show perfect? Of course not. There are parts that I prefer more than others, but this nitpicky shit like, "hey why didn't all of the Stormtroopers get a text saying Obi-wan was there?" is just fucking stupid. It flies in the face of how ALL of these shows have worked for 40+ years.

If you're going to let shit like that bother you about this show, but not pick apart the thousand different ways that the Empire could have easily crushed the Rebellion in the OT then I don't know what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Good Star Wars is good. Bad Star Wars is bad. Unfortunately this is looking like bad Star Wars. I mean, the new villain plucked Obi-Wan’s location straight from Kumail’s brain in about five seconds…did she forget she could do that while she was screaming at Uncle Owen?

If y’all think I’m being harsh then you should REALLY avoid YouTube. Those people are pulling no punches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Every whiny complaint about this show that I've seen in this thread has a reasonable explanation in either existing canon or potentially in the last 3 hours of this show.

The shit the Jedi did in CW and Rebels, jumping from jump ships, easily jumping 100s of feet, using the force to keep a ship from flying away...Darth Vader is one of the most powerful force wielders ever, he can't fucking jumping over a fire which he created and put out, he couldn't easily force pick up the robot and Obi 30 feet over the fire?

That's just fucking stupid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

which leads me to...

you have to turn off your brain a little bit when it isn't being handled by Filoni.   For example, in A New Hope, Leia reaches out to Kenobi via the droids but in her message she is introducing herself to Kenobi and yet, here she is going on an adventure with him.  

Spoiler

Why did he take down the road block instead of just walking around it if he was going to go for a walk and not drive the transport?  Why did they let him hold the gun as he went down to surrender and prioritized him getting on his knees over dropping the laser pistol?   How is he protecting and watching over Luke if he is limited with the force and disarmed?  Why would Ben the most stoic, funny, and battle tested of all Jedi who embodied all that was good with the order be 'broken down'?  He survived his love's murder by Maul, and didn't seek revenge and was compassionate when he faced off against him the final time, kicked Grevious' ass, and thought he killed his little brother (Anakin).   

Or maybe Disney's message here is that working in a factory is a soul crushing job that can take the most stoic, resilient, warriors who have seen some shit and break them down unlike and enemy torture can hope to achieve.  

Nah, lets just turn off our brain and enjoy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Buzz needs to stop acting like the Empire is a well oiled machine. It appears to be run more like the USSR with poorly trained and informed soldiers throughout its holdings, plenty of territories running rogue, corruption amuck, and gang or mafia type factions having the real control of money and power on many planets. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Buzz needs to stop acting like the Empire is a well oiled machine. It appears to be run more like the USSR with poorly trained and informed soldiers throughout its holdings, plenty of territories running rogue, corruption amuck, and gang or mafia type factions having the real control of money and power on many planets. 

Plus everyone trying to stab each other in the bank to gain favor with the top guy. Sounds familiar 

6 minutes ago, Podrick's Magic Cock said:

This is bugging me:

Hide contents

Is this Grand Inquisitor the same one from Star Wars Rebels? 

No. Rebels happens 4 years after this series. The Grand Inquisitor in Rebels is the former Temple guard. He dies in the Rebels series, after this series.

Which now begs the question, do all GIs look like that or did they fuck up the story line thinking the Obi GI is the same one that is in Rebels, which is impossible since he dies in this series. 

edit: Upon further reading, I guess all Pau'ans look like this so Obi GI is probably just another Pau'an. But definitely not the same GI

https://starwarsrebels.fandom.com/wiki/The_Grand_Inquisitor

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, Podrick's Magic Cock said:
  Hide contents

Damn, I love Rebels and thought this dude was a clone.  WTF?  I'm a terrible Star Wars nerd. 

Spoiler

How are we certain GI is dead and it’s not the same guy? I thought he was the same from Rebels (albeit without the elongated head on a human actor). He talks the same and has the same circular spinning lightsaber. I assumed either he didn’t die or they did a Fennec Shand repair job on him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:
  Hide contents

How are we certain GI is dead and it’s not the same guy? I thought he was the same from Rebels (albeit without the elongated head on a human actor). He talks the same and has the same circular spinning lightsaber. I assumed either he didn’t die or they did a Fennec Shand repair job on him. 

Spoiler

I thought he was the same guy, too.  I hope it gets resolved by the end of this series.