Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

Tell us you don't have a daughter, without telling us that you don't have a daughter.
My kindergartner has attitude in spades, 6 going on 16.  I can only imagine the attitude if we were rich and she was literally a princess.

Is Bail Organa a king or have they done such a poor job of hiding Leia that they forgot to remove her title?

On 6/9/2022 at 12:17 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:
  Hide contents

Did you miss the part where they dragged him out and put him in the bacta tank? Commented on his burns?

Why would they put him in a tank when there was literally nothing on him that caught fire except some of his robe? I mean shit, I stupidly lit a cigarette with a gas stove back in my undergrad years, and it was goodbye bangs and some eyebrow shortening in less than a second, but this guy gets dragged and rolled around in flames for almost a minute and it's "hey that must've sucked, glad you're okay be careful next time!" I mean, shit.

15 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

I’ve read the new Thrawn books and they are fantastic. Disney could easily go off of that material and make a good trilogy but they probably won’t because it’s Disney. 

14 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

agree

I just finished the series and couldn't agree more. Maybe after Thrawn makes his live action debut in Ahsoka there will be enough interest to spur Disney into doing this. 

8 hours ago, crony said:

Why would they put him in a tank when there was literally nothing on him that caught fire except some of his robe? I mean shit, I stupidly lit a cigarette with a gas stove back in my undergrad years, and it was goodbye bangs and some eyebrow shortening in less than a second, but this guy gets dragged and rolled around in flames for almost a minute and it's "hey that must've sucked, glad you're okay be careful next time!" I mean, shit.

i remember the bacta tank in empire, but it seems to be getting a whole lot more use these past few shows. 

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i remember the bacta tank in empire, but it seems to be getting a whole lot more use these past few shows. 

The utility of bacta and bacta tanks have always been a big deal in the EU and the video games. You can tell that the crew making the new shows are huge nerds who were into that stuff because of all the little details like that.

As for the Obi-wan show, we all know I'm the resident SW apologist, but so far I'd probably rank it about a 6/10. I'm enjoying it, but it (so far) has enough flaws where I can't rank it much higher than that. For reference, I think the rest of my rankings would go something like this:

• ANH: 9
  • ESB: 10
  • ROTJ: 8
  • TPM: 6
  • AOTC: 2
  • ROTS: 7
  • Rogue One: 8.5
  • Solo: 6.5
  • Mando: 8
  • BoBF (non-Mando eps only): 5

The biggest problem with the Obi-wan show is using TWO established characters to drive the narrative. As much as I enjoy the portrayal of young Leia, it's hard to generate narrative tension (such as the scene in the underwater hallway) when you KNOW they both *have* to escape. That's the obvious problematic thing about using established characters as main characters in new Star Wars movies/shows. That was the great strength of Rogue One and Mando - all new characters with uncertain fates.

I was kind of hoping that the Leia arc would only be maybe 2-3 episodes, top, and then she would be returned and the rest of the story would play out in a different way. The longer it drags on the more they are going to have to cover their tracks with some sort of deux ex machina about why Leia only mentions "serving her father" in ANH. My guess they are going to go with some sort of "memory wipe" type thing or she's going to endure some trauma that causes her not to remember - either of those will be disappointing choices just because they have backed themselves into a corner by having Leia and Obi-Wan spend so much time together... and if they don't address it, it will even be more odd.

So I'll continue to enjoy it, even with its flaws. I'm looking forward to seeing Vader/Obi-wan face off again and also see how they handle Reva and the "dead" Grand Inquisitor.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think the rest of my rankings would go something like this:

please use the jt chick ranking method otherwise i have no idea what you’re talking about. 

This should have been a movie. That whole last episode was pure filler, just completely unnecessary especially in a 6 episode series. The vader scene from ep 3 gave me some real hope but damn! If they dont stick the landing on this I will be way more disappointed than I was with TLJ and ROS

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Really?

68f89e46aca61ac605f91166a43ee2a6.jpg

LOL.

Or... "Palpatine is back somehow..."

I kind of feel about TLJ how I feel about the Prequels.... I have respect for Rian Johnson for trying something new/different... it just lacked in some execution and basic understanding of the characters, but I applaud the effort.

ROS was completely lazy recycled trash, courtesy of the world's biggest writer/director equivalent of a cover band, J.J. Abrams.

42 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

ROS was completely lazy recycled trash, courtesy of the world's biggest writer/director equivalent of a cover band, J.J. Abrams.

He firmly cemented that legacy thanks to both Star Trek and Star Wars.

Handed two of the biggest sci-fi franchises around, and he just recycles their greatest hits (brings back Khan and remakes A New Hope and brings back the Emperor) and he managed to suck at it.

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tell us you don't have a daughter, without telling us that you don't have a daughter.

My kindergartner has attitude in spades, 6 going on 16.  I can only imagine the attitude if we were rich and she was literally a princess.

Don't have one of my own, but my friends daughter showed signs of genius in kindergarten. Smarter than her parents and they had no idea how deal with her.

She's now got a scholarship to Columbia at age 15.

Rampant speculation:

In the inquisitor's fortress, I wonder why they were collecting all those jedi and force sensitives, and if it has any connection to the cloning that we saw in Mando, and if THAT has a connection to Snoke (who we know was a clone). It would certainly start to draw together a series of absolutely disastrously structured and written movies into at least something that isn't a shit show - kinda like the treatment that Filoni's TCW was able to give the prequel trilogy. 

In the old EU: clones, jedi, midichlorians, all that orbited around Thrawn and his effort to bring back the empire. I wonder if the narrative arc of Ashoka is her tracking down Thrawn only to find him working on getting the first order going, or something like that...

• Hook 'Em 2

I took it more as a trophy room where they could use the Jedi DNA later if required. Of course it's to explain how "somehow Palpatine returned". We'll get the shoehorning in of how Snoke came to be as a way to keep Palpatine alive and how the First Order magically appeared with incredibly more deadly starships and a giant planet with a laser in it. And it's nauseating. Stop trying to backbend to satisfy JJ's dumb mystery boxes and lazy homage writing. Just treat them for the mistakes they were and try telling better stories to make up for it. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The utility of bacta and bacta tanks have always been a big deal in the EU and the video games. You can tell that the crew making the new shows are huge nerds who were into that stuff because of all the little details like that.

As for the Obi-wan show, we all know I'm the resident SW apologist, but so far I'd probably rank it about a 6/10. I'm enjoying it, but it (so far) has enough flaws where I can't rank it much higher than that. For reference, I think the rest of my rankings would go something like this:

The biggest problem with the Obi-wan show is using TWO established characters to drive the narrative. As much as I enjoy the portrayal of young Leia, it's hard to generate narrative tension (such as the scene in the underwater hallway) when you KNOW they both *have* to escape. That's the obvious problematic thing about using established characters as main characters in new Star Wars movies/shows. That was the great strength of Rogue One and Mando - all new characters with uncertain fates.

I was kind of hoping that the Leia arc would only be maybe 2-3 episodes, top, and then she would be returned and the rest of the story would play out in a different way. The longer it drags on the more they are going to have to cover their tracks with some sort of deux ex machina about why Leia only mentions "serving her father" in ANH. My guess they are going to go with some sort of "memory wipe" type thing or she's going to endure some trauma that causes her not to remember - either of those will be disappointing choices just because they have backed themselves into a corner by having Leia and Obi-Wan spend so much time together... and if they don't address it, it will even be more odd.

So I'll continue to enjoy it, even with its flaws. I'm looking forward to seeing Vader/Obi-wan face off again and also see how they handle Reva and the "dead" Grand Inquisitor.

You didn't rank the animated series.  Where do you stand on those?

I'd go so far as to say that the final season of The Clone Wars is an 8.5 minimum. 

28 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

You didn't rank the animated series.  Where do you stand on those?

I'd go so far as to say that the final season of The Clone Wars is an 8.5 minimum. 

Yeah I was just doing live action, sans the sequel trilogy.

I’d rank the 4-part finale of Clone Wars as an 8.5 for sure. If it were just released as a 2-hour animated movie, I think it would be on-par with Rogue One as hands down the best non-OT movie.  When you consider the entire series, I’d probably knock it down to about a 7, given the amount of filler and extraneous episodes. At its best, Clone Wars is definitely as a good as ANYTHING Star Wars has released.

Rebels would maybe be a 7.5 just because it also has some all-time great SW moments and is more focused/less filler than CW.

Bad Batch right now I would put at like about maybe a 6 or so? But it’s just getting started and could certainly improve over time like CW and Rebels did.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I was just doing live action, sans the sequel trilogy.

I’d rank the 4-part finale of Clone Wars as an 8.5 for sure. If it were just released as a 2-hour animated movie, I think it would be on-par with Rogue One as hands down the best non-OT movie.  When you consider the entire series, I’d probably knock it down to about a 7, given the amount of filler and extraneous episodes. At its best, Clone Wars is definitely as a good as ANYTHING Star Wars has released.

Rebels would maybe be a 7.5 just because it also has some all-time great SW moments and is more focused/less filler than CW.

Bad Batch right now I would put at like about maybe a 6 or so? But it’s just getting started and could certainly improve over time like CW and Rebels did.

Rebels was consistently good. No droid or Jar-Jar bullshit. Clone Wars closed on a crazy good high to even it out. 

Mando has had high points. Boba Fett was alright, but it seems like the Mouse accountants got what they got. 

Obi Wan is better than 99% of what’s on right now, so I’m not sure what we’re complaining about.

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

I took it more as a trophy room where they could use the Jedi DNA later if required. Of course it's to explain how "somehow Palpatine returned". We'll get the shoehorning in of how Snoke came to be as a way to keep Palpatine alive and how the First Order magically appeared with incredibly more deadly starships and a giant planet with a laser in it. And it's nauseating. Stop trying to backbend to satisfy JJ's dumb mystery boxes and lazy homage writing. Just treat them for the mistakes they were and try telling better stories to make up for it. 

I’m almost out on this and I have suffered through this crap my whole life.

Are they saving the Jedi so they can bring them back and create an army of Jedi to fight the Empire…just in case?   If they want DNA then get blood, skin, hair and put it in a matchbox sized compartment.

And the plan was to “Swim” into the super fortress with a plan of disguising Obi Wan as himself.  Maybe pull his hood down lower to really confuse them.   Then the exit plan was to walk the annoying kid out under the same cloak of stupidity.

That is after rescuing her from the basketball gymnasium sized torture chamber built for one from the least believable  bad guy character of the bad guys who we are suppose to believe is really bad.

Edited by ABSR

On the one hand every moment Leia and Obi-Wan spend together makes a bit bigger mess of their relationship down the line, but I actually think the best part of that last episode was watching that young actress do a pretty good job playing a kid who is resisting...sort of affirms that Leia is strong willed and when we see her put up with Vadar in ANH or Jabba in ROTJ it...

I am sort of confused at Obi-Wan not knowing Darth Vader was alive, 10 years later. I know he probably doesn't have tv or internet in that cave, but wasn't Vader known throughout the galaxy? And Kenobi was still in contact with Bail Organa. You'd think after his first month or so on Tatooine, Bail would have sent a message like "Hey heads up man, Luke's dad is still alive and is in this crazy fucking robot suit. He'll probably be heading your way pretty soon. FYI."

Edit: Or Uncle Owen, for that matter. Did he not know either? 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am sort of confused at Obi-Wan not knowing Darth Vader was alive, 10 years later. I know he probably doesn't have tv or internet in that cave, but wasn't Vader known throughout the galaxy? And Kenobi was still in contact with Bail Organa. You'd think after his first month or so on Tatooine, Bail would have sent a message like "Hey heads up man, Luke's dad is still alive and is in this crazy fucking robot suit. He'll probably be heading your way pretty soon. FYI."

No one knew Anakin was under that suit except a select few. I'm not sure how Reva knows other than Vader is the one who turned her and maybe Anakin used her anger with his own story to convince her to join him. Ahsoka in Rebels only knew of Vader by reputation and not that it was Anakin until they fought. If Vader was onto you, it meant your ass. So I doubt most in the galaxy knew of Vader other than the Imperial boogeyman that he was. He was the Emperor's enforcer. 

Edited by mdmost

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No one knew Anakin was under that suit except a select few. I'm not sure how Reva knows other than Vader is the one who turned her and maybe Anakin used her anger with his own story to convince her to join him. Ahsoka in Rebels only knew of Vader by reputation and not that it was Anakin until they fought. If Vader was onto you, it meant your ass. So I doubt most in the galaxy knew of Vader other than the Imperial boogeyman that he was. He was the Emperor's enforcer. 

Yeah, Luke didn't know the name Darth Vader at age 18 so maybe you're right. I would think Bail Organa would be plugged in enough to know though. 

59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I mean, we are constantly told the Empire’s reach doesn’t really extend to the Outer Rim. Backwater desert planet early Vader’s reign seems like a place they may not know much of him. Hence why Obi Wan stashed Luke there - far from the reach and eyes of the Empire 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I really enjoyed the last episode. I don’t get the hate. It reminded me of ANH.

I haven’t seen it yet. But if it’s the kind of episode loved by fans who call the original movie “A New Hope,” then there’s no chance it doesn’t suck out loud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

The Outer Rim, where Tatoonie is located, is supposed to literally be like the Wild West, in terms of the Star Wars galaxy. No matter what the ruling entity of the galaxy is, they have trouble enforcing in the Outer Rim because it’s so far from the “core” where planets like Coruscant, Alderran (RIP), among others are located.

Recall that in TPM Watto said they wouldn’t accept “Republic credits” there…. So the Republic, which was established for hundreds of years, had little jurisdiction there, let alone the Empire, which had only been around for a decade at this point.

That’s why the Hutts/crime lords essentially rule the Outer Rim… because none of the established governments have cared much to do so themselves.

So TL;DR… it would make sense that there wasn’t much talk or awareness of the Empire’s #1 enforcer/Jedi hunter since the Empire didn’t bother enforcing in the Outer Rim much at at all.

Bail Organa probably was aware that there was a guy called Darth Vader who was hunting Jedi, but would have no way of knowing its Anakin Skywalker. Obi-wan thought he had killed Anakin, and likely told Bail the same thing. Thus, that’s also likely what Obi-Wan told Owen, so he also would  likely not make any kind of connection between Anakin and Vader, even if he were aware of Vader.

Also Bail wouldn’t really have any reason to tell Obi-wan there was a badass in a robot suit hunting Jedi, as he was already aware that the Empire was going full-bore hunting Jedi… the “who” is really irrelevant.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Outer Rim, where Tatoonie is located, is supposed to literally be like the Wild West, in terms of the Star Wars galaxy. No matter what the ruling entity of the galaxy is, they have trouble enforcing in the Outer Rim because it’s so far from the “core” where planets like Coruscant, Alderran (RIP), among others are located.

Recall that in TPM Watto said they wouldn’t accept “Republic credits” there…. So the Republic, which was established for hundreds of years, had little jurisdiction there, let alone the Empire, which had only been around for a decade at this point.

That’s why the Hutts/crime lords essentially rule the Outer Rim… because none of the established governments have cared much to do so themselves.

So TL;DR… it would make sense that there wasn’t much talk or awareness of the Empire’s #1 enforcer/Jedi hunter since the Empire didn’t bother enforcing in the Outer Rim much at at all.

Bail Organa probably was aware that there was a guy called Darth Vader who was hunting Jedi, but would have no way of knowing its Anakin Skywalker. Obi-wan thought he had killed Anakin, and likely told Bail the same thing. Thus, that’s also likely what Obi-Wan told Owen, so he also would  likely not make any kind of connection between Anakin and Vader, even if he were aware of Vader.

Also Bail wouldn’t really have any reason to tell Obi-wan there was a badass in a robot suit hunting Jedi, as he was already aware that the Empire was going full-bore hunting Jedi… the “who” is really irrelevant.

A longer explanation of what I was going for but yes. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Bail Organa probably was aware that there was a guy called Darth Vader who was hunting Jedi, but would have no way of knowing its Anakin Skywalker. Obi-wan thought he had killed Anakin, and likely told Bail the same thing.

I would need to watch the end of Revenge of the Sith again, but Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Bail Organa knew that Anakin Skywalker had become Darth Vader. Yoda had a line like "Gone Anakin is, consumed by Darth Vader."

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would need to watch the end of Revenge of the Sith again, but Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Bail Organa knew that Anakin Skywalker had become Darth Vader. Yoda had a line like "Gone Anakin is, consumed by Darth Vader."

I think it's just Yoda and Obi-Wan at that point. When they're on Coruscant in the Jedi Temple, after watching the tape of Anakin killing Jedi and being called Darth Vader. Yoda tells Obi Wan he has to go face Anakin while Yoda deals with the Emperor. Bail picks up Yoda after he fails to beat the Emperor. Bail was at the Jedi Temple and witnesses the young Jedi being murdered. Then Obi Wan arrives on Bail's ship after the duel with Anakin. I don't think they ever give away Padme's baby daddy's identity. The less people know the better. I could be wrong on that. I always thought it was odd that a high profile senator would take one of the twins but George had to shoe-horn in that somehow. 

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it's just Yoda and Obi-Wan at that point. When they're on Coruscant in the Jedi Temple, after watching the tape of Anakin killing Jedi and being called Darth Vader. Yoda tells Obi Wan he has to go face Anakin while Yoda deals with the Emperor. Bail picks up Yoda after he fails to beat the Emperor. Bail was at the Jedi Temple and witnesses the young Jedi being murdered. Then Obi Wan arrives on Bail's ship after the duel with Anakin. I don't think they ever give away Padme's baby daddy's identity. The less people know the better. I could be wrong on that. I always thought it was odd that a high profile senator would take one of the twins but George had to shoe-horn in that somehow. 

Yeah I was thinking they referred to him as Vader with Bail around but maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah I was thinking they referred to him as Vader with Bail around but maybe not. 

They didn’t. And they say they need to protect the twins from the Emperor, so they all think at that point that Vader is dead 

29 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Correct.

Only Obi-wan and Yoda know that Darth Vader = Anakin.  And since Obi-wan presumed that Anakin/Vader was dead after his duel with Obi-wan, nobody else would be able to make that connection other than Palpatine or anyone else Anakin/Vader told. (Which is why it will be interesting to find out how Reva knows… because in the other Darth Vader canon stuff, he gets fucking pissed if anyone even *brings up* Anakin Skywalker, let alone someone else besides Palp knowing who he was before he was Vader.)

As for the kids, part of the deal is that Anakin/Vader thinks Padme died before she gave birth, so although it was done for obvious “shoehorn” reasons, it would actually kind of make sense to hide her in plain sight as the adopted daughter of a prominent Senator and then hide the other kid on a backwater planet that nobody cares about; especially when Palpatine/Vader doesn’t even know the Skywalker kids exist.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

[Ep. III rant]: Why did Yoda think it was a good idea to face Palpatine alone instead of with Obi Wan? They were both already on Coruscant, and if one or both of them died in a fight with Palpatine, Anakin had only been on the Dark Side for about 5 minutes so how bad ass of a Sith would he really have become? Also, the whole point would have been to destroy the Empire before it ever formed by cutting off its head. 

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

[Ep. III rant]: Why did Yoda think it was a good idea to face Palpatine alone instead of with Obi Wan? They were both already on Coruscant, and if one or both of them died in a fight with Palpatine, Anakin had only been on the Dark Side for about 5 minutes so how bad ass of a Sith would he really have become? Also, the whole point would have been to destroy the Empire before it ever formed by cutting off its head. 

Hubris. Excessive pride.

Now the Nerds are turning on a 10 yr old? Jeezus lol. She is doing fine as a little girl with a little toughness and courage. Do you remember who her parents are?

Every nerd is a armchair writer/director.  And each character should be the way they envisioned them. 

There is a theory going around that says every episode reflects off the first six movies. Luke acting like he’s pod racing for episode 1,  clone in episode 2(That’s a reach), Anakin vs Obi wan/fire episode 3 and the most recent that seemed obvious for ANH. (Obi wan coming out of the water perfectly dry after fighting the storm trooper was an homage to Luke coming out of the trash compactor perfectly dry.) 

If this is true, that must mean we’ll see some force ghost action coming up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

There is a theory going around that says every episode reflects off the first six movies. Luke acting like he’s pod racing for episode 1,  clone in episode 2(That’s a reach), Anakin vs Obi wan/fire episode 3 and the most recent that seemed obvious for ANH. (Obi wan coming out of the water perfectly dry after fighting the storm trooper was an homage to Luke coming out of the trash compactor perfectly dry.) 

Or someone's losing a hand/arm. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Qui-Gon

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Or the slaughter of a tauntaun.

• Haha 1

couple random thoughts/questions.

why hasn't obi wan used the jedi mind trick at all yet?  yeah yeah, he's rusty, i get it, everyone gets it.  but i feel like that's the type of thing that would be easiest for an out-of-practice jedi, and would certainly attract less attention than wielding a light saber or levitating/moving things with thoughts and hand gestures.  some quiet jedi mind shit would've gotten them out of some sticky situations already and would've been more compelling than some of the ways they've gone about it.

also in regards to the water fortress, especially in the trenchcoat escape attempt scene, there always seem to be uniformed guards, workers, stormtroopers walking in small groups, and they're always in such a hurry.  why?  where are they going?  i understand like at 9am or 5pm there might be some moderate foot traffic, but it's constant like that, all day, and is really the only reason they thought they could pull off the old trenchcoat gag, because everyone is soooo distracted.  very busy and important.

last thing - why do stormtroopers even bother to shoot at people who have light sabers anymore?  seems like deflecting laser blasts are their primary purpose.  almost every scene from the prequels involving a light saber drove me nuts.  it was all very formulaic.  whip out the saber, deflect a few laser blasts, dispatch the enemy, rinse repeat over and over.  light saber scenes have become my least favorite scenes and should only really be used against each other.  deflecting blasts should be a freak occurrence like luke at the beginning of jedi.  also maybe blasters should be prohibited in the underground water tunnels.  just a thought.   

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

couple random thoughts/questions.

why hasn't obi wan used the jedi mind trick at all yet?  yeah yeah, he's rusty, i get it, everyone gets it.  but i feel like that's the type of thing that would be easiest for an out-of-practice jedi, and would certainly attract less attention than wielding a light saber or levitating/moving things with thoughts and hand gestures.  some quiet jedi mind shit would've gotten them out of some sticky situations already and would've been more compelling than some of the ways they've gone about it.

also in regards to the water fortress, especially in the trenchcoat escape attempt scene, there always seem to be uniformed guards, workers, stormtroopers walking in small groups, and they're always in such a hurry.  why?  where are they going?  i understand like at 9am or 5pm there might be some moderate foot traffic, but it's constant like that, all day, and is really the only reason they thought they could pull off the old trenchcoat gag, because everyone is soooo distracted.  very busy and important.

last thing - why do stormtroopers even bother to shoot at people who have light sabers anymore?  seems like deflecting laser blasts are their primary purpose.  almost every scene from the prequels involving a light saber drove me nuts.  it was all very formulaic.  whip out the saber, deflect a few laser blasts, dispatch the enemy, rinse repeat over and over.  light saber scenes have become my least favorite scenes and should only really be used against each other.  deflecting blasts should be a freak occurrence like luke at the beginning of jedi.  also maybe blasters should be prohibited in the underground water tunnels.  just a thought.   

I would think stormtroopers don’t see Jedi that often to think that shooting at them is useless. I always thought of blasters being more of a hindrance for Jedi and to highlight how more powerful they are to the average soldier. Vader in ESB just stuck his hand out to deflect Hans blaster shots. 

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

whomever is running with this "theory" will cobble something together from the next episode, i have no doubt.

No doubt about that. I don’t see the first two connections like episode 3&4 have.