Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No, not everyone agrees TFA was good.  It was lazy as fuck to remake A New Hope, and there's nothing good about taking the happy ending of ROTJ and destroying it and shitting all over Luke/Leia/Han just because you want to "do something different" and "put your own stamp" on Star Wars.  And given that it was the start of a trilogy, it was poor writing to not even bother outlining the next two movies, especially if you weren't going to make one or both.

The Force Awakens is basically Picard in movie form - take a beloved character and just make them a miserable shadow of themselves, for no discernible reason plot-wise other than you are trying to be edgy or "do something different", because everybody wants to see the hero of the OT milking a fucking manatee.   That's just shitty and lazy writing/directing on the part of Abrams.  

Abrams drove home his shitty storytelling/directing in TFA by bringing the fucking Emperor back in IX.  

For fuck's sake, Abrams made the prequels look good, because at least George was doing something different.

Edit: Hell, I'll talk Obi-Wan over the sequel trilogy.

Seeing Alderaan in larger detail, what it means to Bail and Leia, and how beautiful it was gives a lot more weight to its destruction. And it also makes me roll my eyes at JJ's stupid "I GOT TO MAKE EVERYTHING BIGGER AND MORE BLOWN UP!" tired trope. I won't just make a Death Star. I'll make a planet Death Star. It won't just have a laser that blows up a planet. It will have a laser that splits off and blows up entire star systems! I'm a fucking genius, just ask me!

I went from being ambivalent to the Sequel Trilogy to flat out disdain for them. The only decent elements were Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. The rest was absolute recycled garbage. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Ever seen a Houston happy hour thread? 
I think there's been one here since shaggy.
They are a classic comedy of total fail.

Hey, we actually had one at Perry’s in The Woodlands once. It was about 10 years ago and only 3 people showed, but we still had one…oh and it wasn’t a happy hour. We met for lunch to get the famous Perry’s pork chop.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Seeing Alderaan in larger detail, what it means to Bail and Leia, and how beautiful it was gives a lot more weight to its destruction. And it also makes me roll my eyes at JJ's stupid "I GOT TO MAKE EVERYTHING BIGGER AND MORE BLOWN UP!" tired trope. I won't just make a Death Star. I'll make a planet Death Star. It won't just have a laser that blows up a planet. It will have a laser that splits off and blows up entire star systems! I'm a fucking genius, just ask me!

I went from being ambivalent to the Sequel Trilogy to flat out disdain for them. The only decent elements were Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. The rest was absolute recycled garbage. 

The Office Thank You GIF

It really is crazy that the sequels made me say "you know, at least George was trying something new with the prequels" because if anybody had the right to remake the OT, it was George Lucas, not Abrams.  

The fact that Favreau, Bryce Dallas Howard, Carl Weathers, etc., are all directing better Star Wars content on Disney+ than Abrams did with hundreds of millions of dollars and years of production speaks volumes about Abrams and Co.

And I think Rey/Finn/Poe/Kylo are only decent characters because the actors are actually really solid. The writing did them no favors.

I have problems with Obi-Wan, but it's trying to tell some new stories while walking a tight rope between fucking with movie canon, and trying to bring in some EU elements that Filoni and company are going to try and use to build out much bigger stories in the future (possibly within Mandalorian or Ahsoka).  In that aspect, it's similar to Clone Wars/Rebels - tell some stories against the backdrop of familiar characters/story arcs, but not walk too heavily into canon problems and not overshadow the movies.

Some people (and I almost started down that path) are also expecting way too much out of a one season 6-episode show that is at its core, fan service for the Ewan/Obi fans.  

So Tala is “whispering” to Obi Wan with multiple other Imperials around her, then knocks out another officer who questions her and lazily hides his body where others can easily find it. Then when Kenobi is trying to sneak around he’s half out of a window when the storm troopers walk by and they somehow don’t see him. This show definitely holds true to cannon by reinforcing how utterly inept the Empire is.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

This has been good - better than my expectations (which were low - reasons below).

Disney took a big risk doing this as there are major constraints to telling a compelling story about Obi Wan between Episodes 3 and 4. He's supposed to be "laying low" and watching over Luke and they wanted to create a miniseries about Obi Wan doing...something. 

I think they are doing a good job with a side story where Obi Wan gets to know Leia (thus the reason Leia is sending for him in Ep 4 - she's one of the few who knows where he is) and they have a little bit of an adventure in the process. 

There's no way anyone was going to be happy with this because of those constraints. Given those constraints I'm pleasantly surprised at this series and think it's fun and entertaining. This last episode was especially engaging for me.

I think we're all spoiled by Mandalorian, but remember that Favreau and company had a lot more to work with in terms of time and with a new character to do something incredible. The writers/producers don't have that luxury with this series. 

Just MHO.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, The Dog said:

This has been good - better than my expectations (which were low - reasons below).

Disney took a big risk doing this as there are major constraints to telling a compelling story about Obi Wan between Episodes 3 and 4. He's supposed to be "laying low" and watching over Luke and they wanted to create a miniseries about Obi Wan doing...something. 

I think they are doing a good job with a side story where Obi Wan gets to know Leia (thus the reason Leia is sending for him in Ep 4 - she's one of the few who knows where he is) and they have a little bit of an adventure in the process. 

There's no way anyone was going to be happy with this because of those constraints. Given those constraints I'm pleasantly surprised at this series and think it's fun and entertaining. This last episode was especially engaging for me.

I think we're all spoiled by Mandalorian, but remember that Favreau and company had a lot more to work with in terms of time and with a new character to do something incredible. The writers/producers don't have that luxury with this series. 

Just MHO.

Should have done a Vader series instead.  There's enough fukkery in the recent comic runs to fuel the franchise for years. This series would be a few episode arc in that series.  

Any prequel is going to have issues of not exactly fitting into the existing canon. You also have little risk to the main characters as you know they all survive. The only fates we don't know about are Reva, the other Inquisitors, and the mini Rebellion guys. A Vader series wouldn't have any suspense because you know exactly when Vader dies. That's why I'd rather have follow up series or heaven forbid brand new stories that actually barely tie into the OT or PT. 

That said, I don't mind the interactions with Leia. Yeah, the whole calling him General Kenobi is weird given how much he's meaning to her but 8-10 years will have passed and it wasn't like Leia had tons of time to make the message with R2.

11 hours ago, The Dog said:

In Rogue One, Mon Mothma knows Obi Wan is alive and that Bail knows where he is. She asks him to contact Obi Wan, and Bail tells her he will send Leia. I’m sure he provided more intel to Leia then than relying on her memories as a 9 year old during an abduction crisis. They (Star Wars) probably won’t be able to explain why her greeting to him is so awkward given what happened in this series, but it’s the cost of new content set between two fixed points of canon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In Rogue One, Mon Mothma knows Obi Wan is alive and that Bail knows where he is. She asks him to contact Obi Wan, and Bail tells her he will send Leia. I’m sure he provided more intel to Leia then than relying on her memories as a 9 year old during an abduction crisis. They (Star Wars) probably won’t be able to explain why her greeting to him is so awkward given what happened in this series, but it’s the cost of new content set between two fixed points of canon. 

I assume "you served with my father in the Clone Wars" was more a guilt/recruiting tactic.  You're so loyal to him - you served with him during the Clone Wars, you gave him Leia to protect her/give he and his wife a daughter, you saved Leia from a kidnapping.   I think reminding someone of past service tends to be a good way to convince someone for help.   A trump card, really.  "Don't do it for me, do it for my father, like you always have"  

I can pretty much write it off in my head as that.  But I'm not nearly as detail obsessed as others who want to flip out over a minor piece of dialogue from a movie that's 11 years older than I am. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think it will also end with Obi Wan telling Bail that he cannot interfere anymore and he must stay on Tatooine given what Vader and the Empire could potentially do with Luke if Vader ever knew he had a son. That would necessitate Leia laying it on thick in her message like Js1 said above.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it will also end with Obi Wan telling Bail that he cannot interfere anymore and he must stay on Tatooine given what Vader and the Empire could potentially do with Luke if Vader ever knew he had a son. That would necessitate Leia laying it on thick in her message like Js1 said above.

I’d be willing to bet the clean that up. They already said in interviews (when asked about how the grand inquisitor died but is inRebels) that they cant say everything but cannon is all. There was bitching about why didnt Reva / Vader just rip the info out of peoples heads since they showed Reva do it to the fake  (quixotic?) Jedi.  I mean Vader flat out says why in a new hope, but they show us why in the 4th epsisode - Leia’s mind is too strong.  $10 says Reva realizes she is force sensitive, that pushes Ben to kill her, and then she gets some memories Force suppressed. 

Edited by UT_OB1

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

I hadn't come of age yet when I saw RTOJ but I recall her bare hips being fascinating but didn't know why. The Force had not awakened yet for me but looking at her now, those are some grip hips.

41vMr7j3ivL._AC_SY580_.jpg

I wonder if she knew about sharpies.  

27 minutes ago, F250 said:

I hadn't come of age yet when I saw RTOJ but I recall her bare hips being fascinating but didn't know why. The Force had not awakened yet for me but looking at her now, those are some grip hips.

41vMr7j3ivL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Narrator: "And that's when a young MIA first learned about his Special Purpose."

• Haha 2

Leia as a 10 year old and being a focus is dumb. Not talking about the actress , but its so improbable that a 10 year old would react that way to being abducted, threatened and then sent to be possibly tortured. They would spill their guts on the way to the planet. Its dumb and cartoonish. Leia must have to have gone through some awesome therapy sessions after all this. She is fucking 10. 

The entire first chase scene with Leia and the slow/immobile bad guys was dumb, the interactions with Obi, dumb. The entire part where Obi has to look after Luke and then leaves the planet for days , dumb.

This series wasn't thought out. Its lazy and is Disney really trying anymore?

For the record:

Loved the originals, Rogue One, Clone Wars and Rebels (as cartoons), and Mandalorian and also most everything done by Timothy Zahn

Liked Solo, half of the prequels, some of Book of Boba and Obi Wan 

Meh on most Book of Boba and Obi Wan

Hated the last trilogy and the Star Wars special 

• Hook 'Em 1

Leia as a 10 year old and being a focus is dumb. Not talking about the actress , but its so improbable that a 10 year old would react that way to being abducted, threatened and then sent to be possibly tortured. They would spill their guts on the way to the planet. Its dumb and cartoonish. Leia must have to have gone through some awesome therapy sessions after all this. She is fucking 10. 
The entire first chase scene with Leia and the slow/immobile bad guys was dumb, the interactions with Obi, dumb. The entire part where Obi has to look after Luke and then leaves the planet for days , dumb.

For the record:
Loved the originals, Rogue One, Clone Wars and Rebels (as cartoons), and Mandalorian and also most everything done by Timothy Zahn
Liked Solo, half of the prequels, some of Book of Boba and Obi Wan 
Meh on most Book of Boba and Obi Wan

The Force is also strong in her so maybe she doesn’t react as a typical 10 year old on Earth?

Her and Luke supposedly haven't had the force "awaken" in them yet. They aren't showing the "signs"

Thats why Vader can't detect them and why Riva can't sense a jedi in her when she tried the force probe. 

but this is all sci-fi make believe so who knows, Cant a guy just get some continuity with good writing? Its not the actors fault either, the scripts have been dumb and lazy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I mean, that's kind of the point of the show - to demonstrate that even at the age of 10, Leia is thinking like an adult and sees the bigger picture, if only in small bursts. I get that it's not realistic, but bruh. Space wizards and laser swords lol.

31 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Like Bail said, this isn't about Luke. The story is more focused on Obi Wan realizing that he has the ability to make a difference in the galaxy, and the resulting conflict of conscious from that. Indecision and erratic behavior is pretty intrinsic to that in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

The last trilogy should be removed from canon, IMO. Or at least hit with the "legends" tag. It was fucking awful and had ZERO direction for the story throughout. Just a bunch of "and then they.... " storytelling. And the holiday special isn't even legends canon lol.

Stop taking everything so seriously. This isn't some hardcore, serious sci-fi like The Expanse. Star Wars is space fantasy. It'll occasionally be pretty fantastical

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, that's kind of the point of the show - to demonstrate that even at the age of 10, Leia is thinking like an adult and sees the bigger picture, if only in small bursts. I get that it's not realistic, but bruh. Space wizards and laser swords lol.

Like Bail said, this isn't about Luke. The story is more focused on Obi Wan realizing that he has the ability to make a difference in the galaxy, and the resulting conflict of conscious from that. Indecision and erratic behavior is pretty intrinsic to that in my opinion.

The last trilogy should be removed from canon, IMO. Or at least hit with the "legends" tag. It was fucking awful and had ZERO direction for the story throughout. Just a bunch of "and then they.... " storytelling. And the holiday special isn't even legends canon lol.

Stop taking everything so seriously. This isn't some hardcore, serious sci-fi like The Expanse. Star Wars is space fantasy. It'll occasionally be pretty fantastical

I really don't take movies so serious. For heaven's sake even the Lord of the Rings had excellent writing and directing and it had wizards and magic swords. I loved that trilogy.

Solo had flaws all over it but you know I could suspend belief, grab some popcorn and just enjoy the ride. Even though they hit you over the head 10 times about the fucking dice !!

All I'm asking for is effort with the script, directing and some type of cohesiveness. Doesn't matter if its a single or a series or a trilogy... I can take one or two cringe worthy parts but not repeatedly 

Maybe it just wasn't my thing this go around 

• Like 1

Not sure about the Reva hate. The actress is playing her well well enough. The complaint that there is too much screen time given to Reva vs. Kenobi does have some merit. But ultimately I keep hearing in my head some sage advice:

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

I really don't take movies so serious. For heaven's sake even the Lord of the Rings had excellent writing and directing and it had wizards and magic swords. I loved that trilogy.

Solo had flaws all over it but you know I could suspend belief, grab some popcorn and just enjoy the ride. Even though they hit you over the head 10 times about the fucking dice !!

All I'm asking for is effort with the script, directing and some type of cohesiveness. Doesn't matter if its a single or a series or a trilogy... I can take one or two cringe worthy parts but not repeatedly 

Maybe it just wasn't my thing this go around 

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the lord of the rings to Star Wars. The makings of that trilogy already had a well thought out plan with the novels that came before. George made Star Wars on what inspired him and his ideas. Hell, he didn’t even think it was going to end up being a trilogy until after it was released. Star Wars for the most part has never been cohesive. The guy that wrote Leia to say “my mother died when I was young but she was beautiful” then later on in the prequels the same guy shows us that Leia couldn’t have remembered her mother. 

Star Wars for the most part has had average writing at best with some awesome moments in between. ESB obviously being the outlier. That movie was so damn good from a writing and directional perspective. 

Just now, DoneWithit said:

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the lord of the rings to Star Wars. The makings of that trilogy already had a well thought out plan with the novels that came before. George made Star Wars on what inspired him and his ideas. Hell, he didn’t even think it was going to end up being a trilogy until after it was released. Star Wars for the most part has never been cohesive. The guy that wrote Leia to say “my mother died when I was young but she was beautiful” then later on in the prequels the same guy shows us that Leia couldn’t have remembered her mother. 

Star Wars for the most part has had average writing at best with some awesome moments in between. ESB obviously being the outlier. That movie was so damn good from a writing and directional perspective. 

I hear you. I was mostly referring to the wring after the original trilogy.  

"The makings of that trilogy already had a well thought out plan with the novels that came before."

They didnt seem to have a plan when Disney bought the rights and just threw shit against the wall mostly. They have plenty of excellent novels to make a good story from.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

They didnt seem to have a plan when Disney bought the rights and just threw shit against the wall mostly. They have plenty of excellent novels to make a good story from.  

They weren't planning the sequel trilogy, but Filoni and Favreau are absolutely elbow deep in all the TV series that they're making. They all build on top of the canon and stories that Filoni wrote.

However, as much as I love the old EU novels, there's some real stinkers in there lol. It's been a blessing to the overall universe to get a reset button and reorganize the canon. Those fucking sequel movies though....

23 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I hear you. I was mostly referring to the wring after the original trilogy.  

"The makings of that trilogy already had a well thought out plan with the novels that came before."

I mean you do realize in the novelization of return of the Jedi it says obi wan and Lars were brothers. Plus, obi wan tells Luke that anakin didn’t know padme was pregnant till after he became Vader. This was a novel straight from the OT movies that contradicts the prequels.  George & Co. could have gone off of this but still chose to go into a different direction. 

I’ve read the new Thrawn books and they are fantastic. Disney could easily go off of that material and make a good trilogy but they probably won’t because it’s Disney. 

4 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Her and Luke supposedly haven't had the force "awaken" in them yet. They aren't showing the "signs"

Incorrect. They are showing in the same way Anakin was in Phantom Menance with the Pod Races - doing things beyond what a child or even a human being should be able to do. Leia inherently reads people better and has a strong mind, Luke is a good pilot capable of picking off rats while speeding along in his t16. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Incorrect. They are showing in the same way Anakin was in Phantom Menance with the Pod Races - doing things beyond what a child or even a human being should be able to do. Leia inherently reads people better and has a strong mind, Luke is a good pilot capable of picking off rats while speeding along in his t16. 

like I said, poor continuity. Qui Gon "sensed" the force in Anakin and did the whole medi-chlorian test. Which never should have happened, the unknown was better. Supposedly they were off the charts. whatever

Aaaaannnnnyway. This isn't a hill I want to die on. I think the new movies by Disney could have been so much more and told a fantastic story that added to the mythos. It's a confusing mess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:
  Hide contents

Why’d they linger so long on the tragic death of “Wade”? Who TF was that rando? I don’t think they had even introduced the character 

Rebellion comes at a cost and these people are going to learn that

6 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Tell us you don't have a daughter, without telling us that you don't have a daughter.

My kindergartner has attitude in spades, 6 going on 16.  I can only imagine the attitude if we were rich and she was literally a princess.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tell us you don't have a daughter, without telling us that you don't have a daughter.

My kindergartner has attitude in spades, 6 going on 16.  I can only imagine the attitude if we were rich and she was literally a princess.

Too funny. I have 2 and both at 10 would have been traumatized after a stranger abducted them and proceeded to set up torturing them. Attitudes would have vanished quickly. 

Glad you enjoyed the show