Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

There is a theory going around that says every episode reflects off the first six movies. Luke acting like he’s pod racing for episode 1,  clone in episode 2(That’s a reach), Anakin vs Obi wan/fire episode 3 and the most recent that seemed obvious for ANH. (Obi wan coming out of the water perfectly dry after fighting the storm trooper was an homage to Luke coming out of the trash compactor perfectly dry.) 

If this is true, that must mean we’ll see some force ghost action coming up. 

I really like that theory, and it would realign the canon to have Obi Wan triumphantly and unexpectedly defeat Vader and get away scot-free in the finale. And Ewan and Hayden said in an interview that the finale is their favorite star wars script they've ever worked on. 

Idk man, fuck the haters I'm having fun with Obi Wan and I couldn't be any happier as a star wars fan

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Ice cube JR ‘s wife is Reva.

Look man, just because there's more than one black person in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean they're either related to Lando or married to the other black character.

It's obvious she was a one of the younglings from the first portion of the series that tried to escape the Jedi purge at the Temple. 

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

I really like that theory, and it would realign the canon to have Obi Wan triumphantly and unexpectedly defeat Vader and get away scot-free in the finale. And Ewan and Hayden said in an interview that the finale is their favorite star wars script they've ever worked on. 

Idk man, fuck the haters I'm having fun with Obi Wan and I couldn't be any happier as a star wars fan

Yeah I’m with you. The show has flaws, but I’m still enjoying the hell out of it.

20 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

There is a theory going around that says every episode reflects off the first six movies. Luke acting like he’s pod racing for episode 1,  clone in episode 2(That’s a reach), Anakin vs Obi wan/fire episode 3 and the most recent that seemed obvious for ANH. (Obi wan coming out of the water perfectly dry after fighting the storm trooper was an homage to Luke coming out of the trash compactor perfectly dry.) 

If this is true, that must mean we’ll see some force ghost action coming up. 

Interesting.

Another connection in episode 1 is the Alderran/Tatooine settings mirrors Naboo/Tatooine;  another connection in episode 2 besides the clone is an action sequence among/around rooftops/tall buildings in a big city and also dealing with “underworld” elements in those cities. 

No, not everyone agrees TFA was good.  It was lazy as fuck to remake A New Hope, and there's nothing good about taking the happy ending of ROTJ and destroying it and shitting all over Luke/Leia/Han just because you want to "do something different" and "put your own stamp" on Star Wars.  And given that it was the start of a trilogy, it was poor writing to not even bother outlining the next two movies, especially if you weren't going to make one or both.
The Force Awakens is basically Picard in movie form - take a beloved character and just make them a miserable shadow of themselves, for no discernible reason plot-wise other than you are trying to be edgy or "do something different", because everybody wants to see the hero of the OT milking a fucking manatee.   That's just shitty and lazy writing/directing on the part of Abrams.  
Abrams drove home his shitty storytelling/directing in TFA by bringing the fucking Emperor back in IX.  
For fuck's sake, Abrams made the prequels look good, because at least George was doing something different.
Edit: Hell, I'll talk Obi-Wan over the sequel trilogy.

I think you’re mixing up your movies. Luke was barely in TFA. There was no manatee milking until TLJ, and that wasn’t Abrams.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, there's a lot of higher-level discussion about Kennedy's recent comments about where Star Wars is head (more serialized), and with Rangers being canceled, etc., and how TV shows on Disney+ are, in the long run, safer than films and can even provide more revenue to Disney than films (in that Disney doesn't have to share with theaters, and budgets are smaller and less risky.  Turn-around is quicker as well.

Could be just a nice shout-out to fans, but Corran is one of those things that if it was nothing, would just piss fans off more than make them go "I see what you did there Filoni!

On 5/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, Captainant said:

Caught a neato nerd detail on my rewatch of ep2. When Haja (Kumail Nanjiani) was sending that mom and her son on their way... He was sending them to Corellia because the kid was force sensitive. They didn't say the kids name during the episode, but in the credits his name was listed as "Corran".

Corran Horn was an EU pilot in Rogue Squadron who was from Corellia and eventually was trained as a Jedi in Luke's new Jedi academy. 

Filoni plz

Maybe we can have a new series called “Captain Corellian’s Mandalorian” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Look man, just because there's more than one black person in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean they're either related to Lando or married to the other black character.
It's obvious she was a one of the younglings from the first portion of the series that tried to escape the Jedi purge at the Temple. 

That was my first thought. Then the empire taking her away, mixed with a character who is famous for a “certain point of view” and well both of those could be true. Plus this is not big universe lots of stories/characters Filoni production.

I'm enjoying the show overall, and watching it with my kids is a lot of fun, but I do have a problem with the timelines and how it further retcons and diminishes the original story in ANH.

In ANH when Luke first encounters old Ben out beyond the Dune Sea, and we get the "Obi Wan Kenobi, Obi Wan.  Now there's a name I've not heard in a looooong time.  Long time."  And at the time, it's said in such dramatic terms that it has us thinking, wow, the Empire has been around forever and this old dude's been hiding out in the outer rim for maybe 40 or 50 years.  He's really suffered and been isolated.  And the Death Star showdown between Kenobi and Vader is meaningful and impactful because the assumption is that these two haven't seen each other in a REALLY long time, and Vader has spent all this time honing his dark side Sith skills to become "only a master of Evil."  And we get the dramatic conclusion to their relationship, where Vader believes he's killed Obi Wan and vanquished that demon from his past, a man whose spirit and presence has tormented him seemingly forever.

But then in Empire, we find out that Luke is Vader's son and Obi Wan could only have been hiding out on Tatooine for a maximum of around 18 years.  OK, I guess I can follow that.  If I were stranded on Tatooine for 18 years with no internet and no cable TV and only the Jawas and Sandpeople as neighbors, I guess I'd consider 18 years to be long enough to comment on how long it's been since I've heard that name.

But now... now we've cut that time in half.  And in this series, errrrrybody and their dog is calling him Obi Wan whether they're supposed to or not.  So at the point Luke first encounters old Ben out beyond the Dune Sea, it's actually been maybe 8 years at most since the last time he heard the name, and also since the last time he encountered Vader.  Which for me, really diminishes the impact of the Death Star encounter between Kenobi and Vader, which is one of the seminal moments of not only the first movie and the first trilogy, but really the entire universe.

Honestly I'd have preferred they left Vader completely out of this series, so we could avoid this awkward diminishment of the original movie.

But I'll live, and will still enjoy the series.

• Hook 'Em 1

All of those issues have been around way before this series.

In the very original movie the Jedi were almost a myth. Some people didn't even think they were a real thing.

Then the prequels came along and turns out there were hundreds of Jedi, they commanded entire groups of clone troops, they had a whole political structure on the most populous and important planet, all like 20-30 years prior to the original.

Star Wars has always been poorly written and practically improvised along the way. Lucas made story decisions based on what kind of cool special effect he could do, that was all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

If we go with the theory that the shows mirror the movies, we'll get maybe 2 more Vader/Obi Wan interactions/fights to mirror Empire and Jedi. I'd imagine in the last one, Obi Wan will try to turn Anakin back to the "good side" and fails which better fits the line to Luke of "Obi Wan once thought as you do" and also fits "he's more machine now than man, twisted and evil". I also think we'll see Obi Wan hand Vader his ass in the last fight which send Vader down a 10 year trip to get better with his skills much like how Anakin got more powerful in between his two fights with Dooku.

george-lucas-its-like-poetry.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

In the very original movie the Jedi were almost a myth. Some people didn't even think they were a real thing.

Then the prequels came along and turns out there were hundreds of Jedi, they commanded entire groups of clone troops, they had a whole political structure on the most populous and important planet, all like 20-30 years prior to the original.

Star Wars has always been poorly written and practically improvised along the way. Lucas made story decisions based on what kind of cool special effect he could do, that was all.

Sure there are always some issues.  Luke and Leia kissing and whatnot.

It's still a problem for me, though, that there's supposed to be this "long time" that Obi Wan hasn't heard his name, and there's suppose to be this dramatic showdown between Vader and Obi Wan on the Death Star, and now we find out the same thing happened just 8 years earlier.  I don't like it and I'd have preferred other story elements rather than seeing Vader in this series.

But again, I'll still watch and enjoy the series.  It's been a lot of fun with the kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Sure there are always some issues.  Luke and Leia kissing and whatnot.

It's still a problem for me, though, that there's supposed to be this "long time" that Obi Wan hasn't heard his name, and there's suppose to be this dramatic showdown between Vader and Obi Wan on the Death Star, and now we find out the same thing happened just 8 years earlier.  I don't like it and I'd have preferred other story elements rather than seeing Vader in this series.

But again, I'll still watch and enjoy the series.  It's been a lot of fun with the kids.

It’s 9 years. Get your facts straight.

/s 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

While the story is definitely improvised along the way, where in Star Wars did anyone say the Jedi were a “myth?” The only thing close to that is Han not necessarily believing in The Force. He never says that the Jedi are/were a myth… just their ability to “use the Force.”

Tarkin mentions to Vader “the Jedi are extinct” which certainly acknowledges that they were a thing.  And the Rebel alliance leaders actually say, “May the Force be with you” which certainly acknowledges that the Jedi were/are a real thing.

And yeah there were hundreds of Jedi, but there were likely hundreds of billions (maybe trillions) of beings across a vast galaxy. The vast, vast, vast majority of “regular people” never saw or interacted with Jedi, even when they were at their peak.

Edited by oSuJeff97

1. The mouse views the Death Star interaction between Vadar and Kenobi as a sunk cost. You’re hooked…for 40+ years now. Since you’re hooked there is a good chance your kids are hooked and at this point maybe even their kids. If you’re not hooked well we have a chance to throw our biggest hook in the water by getting maybe the most recognizable villain in the history of all cinema on the screen with a cool lightsaber scene (see Rogue One). Oh you think that diminishes their scene in the Death Star. Well guess what? You paid for that movie 40+ years ago and you know you ain’t leaving us now. There are no more dollars to be made from that one scene.

2. I don’t know that Kenobi will “hand Vadar his ass”. I think more likely is he pulls some trick (maybe something learned in this next episode) that allows him to get away while completely baffling and frustrating Vadar (how the fuck he do that?) which may pay forward into the “when I left you I was the learner, now I am the master”. Hell maybe it’s something like “fake Luke” in TLJ.

3. I think also a chance since Star Wars eventually needs to explain everything we get more insight into the mechanics of “if you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine”. We all generally know what that means but would not surprise me if they decide to show us how it works.

Still enjoying. This isn’t Star Wars anywhere remotely near it’s best but ultimately it’s a space opera and doesn’t all need to make sense to be fun.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I wonder if we go ultra turbonerd and Obi Wan defeats and escapes from Vader into the world between worlds. It would tie up the reason for his apparent age increasing so much, and would give him a chance to commune directly with the spirit of Qui Gon

Never go full turbonerd. 

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

609537100d9e3796ecb159c48c8a64c5.jpg

This is awesome. 

As a kid i always imagined the clone wars were some kind of Secret Invasion scenario where the (would be) emperor was going around trying to replace Jedi and possibly other key figures with clones he controlled. I imagined obiwan and yoda having to fight themselves. Watching the movie when it came out without reading any spoilers, I was not at all expecting the direction it went. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Goddamn Vader is scary. It was cool to see him flex some of his power and moves that you usually only see in the video games and comics.

Spoiler

The flashbacks were definitely in the attack of the clones era, Anakin still had his Padawan braid and his real hand.

And damn seeing live action order 66 was rough. I couldn't help but be reminded of Uvalde when Reva said she survived by hiding in the dead bodies of the other children. 

4 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

Best part of The Mandalorian series was Luke

Best part of Boba Fett series was the Mandalorian

Best part of Kenobi series is Vader

Sure, but the Luke in Mandalorian thing was really just the cherry on top. That series was already excellent even without Luke. Him showing up just took it to the next level.

The Boba series was pretty meh except for the Mando episodes.

I still love it, but definitely some eye rolls in this episode. 

Spoiler

- Sending Jedi master Obi Wan back into the hangar with only two stormtrooper guards.  

- The unnecessary communication from Bail

- Leaving the communication device with Haja, who drops it, then Obi Wan not immediately asking about it when they escape.  “Hey, where is that communicator that holds clues to the biggest secret in the galaxy?”

- Grand Inquisitor showing back up with zero explanation other than the fact that Star Wars bad guys never actually die the first time you kill them (Palpatine, Maul, etc.)

- Reva not being beheaded or sliced in half or force choked to death after betraying Vader - see above rule.

- Reva just randomly reaching for things in her “death throes” and happening to find the clue to the biggest secret in the galaxy

I’m interested in how they are going to wrap all this up while giving a plausible explanation for Vader not learning about his children.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure, but the Luke in Mandalorian thing was really just the cherry on top. That series was already excellent even without Luke. Him showing up just took it to the next level.

The Boba series was pretty meh except for the Mando episodes.

I was being pretty vague there and was a little tongue in cheek. The truth of the matter is that I have enjoyed all 3 shows immensely - even the slow burn episodes found within each of them.

And as badass ass as the Luke scene in Mando was as it gave us a glimpse at him in his prime Jedi level best, I think the reveal of Baby Yoda in ep 1 to still be the biggest wow moment of the series.

I really have enjoyed the depiction of Kenobi at his worst, defeated, fearful, broken version of himself as well as the very well done quick witted and sharp tongued young Leia.

But prime Vader is just at a whole other level. 

Unless there’s a season 2, next week is set up to be pretty epic.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I still love it, but definitely some eye rolls in this episode. 

Hide contents

- Sending Jedi master Obi Wan back into the hangar with only two stormtrooper guards.  

- The unnecessary communication from Bail

- Leaving the communication device with Haja, who drops it, then Obi Wan not immediately asking about it when they escape.  “Hey, where is that communicator that holds clues to the biggest secret in the galaxy?”

- Grand Inquisitor showing back up with zero explanation other than the fact that Star Wars bad guys never actually die the first time you kill them (Palpatine, Maul, etc.)

- Reva not being beheaded or sliced in half or force choked to death after betraying Vader - see above rule.

- Reva just randomly reaching for things in her “death throes” and happening to find the clue to the biggest secret in the galaxy

I’m interested in how they are going to wrap all this up while giving a plausible explanation for Vader not learning about his children.  

A couple of these things have been explained already. The species of the GI has two stomachs which is where the staby stab happened then of course he’s alive in rebels. The dude was going to show up sometime. Also, wasn’t the point of her sending obi wan with only two troopers because of the discussion they had earlier? 

Edited by DoneWithit

11 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

A couple of these things have been explained already. The species of the GA has two stomachs which is where the staby stab happened then of course he’s alive in rebels. The dude was going to show up sometime. Also, wasn’t the point of her sending obi wan with only two troopers because of the discussion they had earlier? 

Yeah… we knew that GI would be back.  Just thought it was a bit clumsy with no explanation in the show.   And sure, that could have been part of Reva & Obi Wan’s unspoken plan.    

42 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

I was being pretty vague there and was a little tongue in cheek. The truth of the matter is that I have enjoyed all 3 shows immensely - even the slow burn episodes found within each of them.

And as badass ass as the Luke scene in Mando was as it gave us a glimpse at him in his prime Jedi level best, I think the reveal of Baby Yoda in ep 1 to still be the biggest wow moment of the series.

I really have enjoyed the depiction of Kenobi at his worst, defeated, fearful, broken version of himself as well as the very well done quick witted and sharp tongued young Leia.

But prime Vader is just at a whole other level. 

Unless there’s a season 2, next week is set up to be pretty epic.

There’s no season 2 of this. It’s a limited series.

I haven’t watched this week yet - going to avoid the thread until then. Looking forward to it.

I think we haven’t seen any flashbacks with Anakin and Obi-Wan up to this point because they didn’t want it to be viewed as fan service or feel forced and I now that we got a big one, the payoff was worth it. It fits the story they’re trying to tell between the their relationship better while also giving us more insight. The Anakin padawan duel shows how the line of “when I left you I was the learner, but now I’m the master” has more depth to it even in the future when he’s now morphed into Vader. Because Vader is made up of all the wrong doings of Anakin, Obi-Wan is still the master. This episode was really well done in propelling Vaders overall character and story. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

A couple of these things have been explained already. The species of the GI has two stomachs which is where the staby stab happened then of course he’s alive in rebels. The dude was going to show up sometime. Also, wasn’t the point of her sending obi wan with only two troopers because of the discussion they had earlier? 

Yes for sure on the latter part.

I just finished the episode. She sent him in with only the two Troopers knowing he would escape.

I thought this episode was fantastic. The best of the series by far.

45 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I think we haven’t seen any flashbacks with Anakin and Obi-Wan up to this point because they didn’t want it to be viewed as fan service or feel forced and I now that we got a big one, the payoff was worth it. It fits the story they’re trying to tell between the their relationship better while also giving us more insight. The Anakin padawan duel shows how the line of “when I left you I was the learner, but now I’m the master” has more depth to it even in the future when he’s now morphed into Vader. Because Vader is made up of all the wrong doings of Anakin, Obi-Wan is still the master. This episode was really well done in propelling Vaders overall character and story. 

100% this.

It was also very consistent with how their relationship played out over The Clone Wars… Anakin always wanting to just charge in and fuck shit up while Obi-Wan was busy playing 4D chess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

100% this.

It was also very consistent with how their relationship played out over The Clone Wars… Anakin always wanting to just charge in and fuck shit up while Obi-Wan was busy playing 4D chess.

It makes you think what they’re going to do next. These two are definitely going to see each other again but now Obi-Wan will be a lot closer to the force than he was in episode 3. They showed Obi-Wan still sees Anakin in Vader but does Vader see this? I don’t think he fully realizes this (because of his hatred towards Obi-Wan), and now there needs to be a major moment in episode 6 between the two for Vader to realize that while he thinks he’s got all of this power, he’s still can’t get past Obi-Wan. Then Vader proceeds to go on a 9 year journey to become the true master. 

Going to be a helluva finale. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm through the fourth episode so I skipped over the last few posts. I'm enjoying it. I was never a Star Wars nerd and don't remember a lot of the more detailed story lines and relationships. I've been watching recaps on Youtube which help. As far as the complaining, come on y'all. If you're watching it all you likely started from the beginning. A story where an almighty empire led by people with extraordinary supernatural powers have an army of clones who use laser guns but are utterly incapable of hitting a meaningful target, yet they still assign them important tasks and they never improve their abilities. These powerful oligarchs also built a planet sized battle station with a vent that allows a single hit from a rebel starship to blow the entire thing up into smithereens. The writing has always been strange (I won't say lazy or weak, it feels familiar with how sci-fi was written in that time period). They've strung together dozens of movies and series, it's nearly impossible to avoid plot holes or to obtain perfect continuity. Worst of all is the "why didn't they just kill him" line. That is true of pretty much 90% of the action and drama genres where stories wouldn't exist if logic took hold and one guy just shoots and kills the other. You need a story, if they acted like the real world it would be boring. It shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment if you've been following along from the start, regardless if you've gone full nerd or just watched them casually.

Spoiler

From Episode 4, a good example is that a laser shot is able to crack a window from the bottom of an underwater base. And yet they are shooting at each other as though it's a normal battle, knowing that a single stray shot could kill them all. It's a really dumb and obvious situation, but led to a dramatic scene. It is what it is, and I'll keep watching.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm through the fourth episode so I skipped over the last few posts. I'm enjoying it. I was never a Star Wars nerd and don't remember a lot of the more detailed story lines and relationships. I've been watching recaps on Youtube which help. As far as the complaining, come on y'all. If you're watching it all you likely started from the beginning. A story where an almighty empire led by people with extraordinary supernatural powers have an army of clones who use laser guns but are utterly incapable of hitting a meaningful target, yet they still assign them important tasks and they never improve their abilities. These powerful oligarchs also built a planet sized battle station with a vent that allows a single hit from a rebel starship to blow the entire thing up into smithereens. The writing has always been strange (I won't say lazy or weak, it feels familiar with how sci-fi was written in that time period). They've strung together dozens of movies and series, it's nearly impossible to avoid plot holes or to obtain perfect continuity. Worst of all is the "why didn't they just kill him" line. That is true of pretty much 90% of the action and drama genres where stories wouldn't exist if logic took hold and one guy just shoots and kills the other. You need a story, if they acted like the real world it would be boring. It shouldn't interfere with your enjoyment if you've been following along from the start, regardless if you've gone full nerd or just watched them casually.

Reveal hidden contents

From Episode 4, a good example is that a laser shot is able to crack a window from the bottom of an underwater base. And yet they are shooting at each other as though it's a normal battle, knowing that a single stray shot could kill them all. It's a really dumb and obvious situation, but led to a dramatic scene. It is what it is, and I'll keep watching.

Ha yeah.

One of the classic, “why didn’t they just…” was when the Rebels attack the Death Star they send out like 15 TIE Fighters to take on the handful of X-Wings and Y-Wings.  

We literally have more fighters than that on a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. Why not just send out like 100 TIE Fighters and completely overwhelm the dozen or so Rebel ships then destroy Yavin IV? Batta-bing, batta-boom. Done and done.

Oh right, because we are telling a classic story here and they sacrifice “realism” for story.