Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

Why does it need to be well thought out to say something sucks? This is surly. Show me one well thought out post when someone doesn’t like something. 

If the character is badass I’ll praise it, if it sucks like she does I’ll say it. The all white inquisitor sucks too. The Asian dude with the helmet was bad ass. Just my opinion which I thought was the point of posting on a message board. 

58 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why does it need to be well thought out to say something sucks? This is surly. Show me one well thought out post when someone doesn’t like something. 

If the character is badass I’ll praise it, if it sucks like she does I’ll say it. The all white inquisitor sucks too. The Asian dude with the helmet was bad ass. Just my opinion which I thought was the point of posting on a message board. 

methinks the rockethorn doth protest too much lol

The inquisitors aren't supposed to be a bunch of badasses - just look like it. They're a group of traumatized and abused force sensitives that have been tormented into turning to the dark side and continuing the abuse cycle. I've been framing her character as someone who desperately WANTS to be a dominant force, but will never truly obtain that power. We're supposed to see her posturing and gesticulation as hollow - it's a dramatic parallel of what the jedi say is the dark side. Powerful on the surface and to those who are beneath her, but weak and incapable when facing true power.

spoilery speculation:

Spoiler

I'd bet the finale is a callback to the old EU comics where Maul came to Tatooine to find Obi Wan and found Luke instead. Maul uses Luke to lure out Obi Wan, who takes the bait and fights maul. Obi Wan disarms Maul and has him at the tip of a lightsaber and is working up the courage to kill him - until Owen blasts Maul before Obi Wan had the chance.

In the aftermath, Owen tells Obi Wan to leave and never return to the Lars homestead again.

Swap out Maul for Reva and that sounds pretty plausable thanks to Bail's big mouth

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The inquisitors aren't supposed to be a bunch of badasses - just look like it. They're a group of traumatized and abused force sensitives that have been tormented into turning to the dark side and continuing the abuse cycle. I've been framing her character as someone who desperately WANTS to be a dominant force, but will never truly obtain that power. We're supposed to see her posturing and gesticulation as hollow - it's a dramatic parallel of what the jedi say is the dark side. Powerful on the surface and to those who are beneath her, but weak and incapable when facing true power.

spoilery speculation:

Hide contents

I'd bet the finale is a callback to the old EU comics where Maul came to Tatooine to find Obi Wan and found Luke instead. Maul uses Luke to lure out Obi Wan, who takes the bait and fights maul. Obi Wan disarms Maul and has him at the tip of a lightsaber and is working up the courage to kill him - until Owen blasts Maul before Obi Wan had the chance.

In the aftermath, Owen tells Obi Wan to leave and never return to the Lars homestead again.

Swap out Maul for Reva and that sounds pretty plausable thanks to Bail's big mouth

I probably do protest too much. They definitely tried to frame her as powerful badass. Just didn’t like her acting. Haven’t talked to many people that have liked her character much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They missed an opportunity to play up Obi-Wan regaining his powers. They were just all of a sudden back.

And the blast doors open and, as per usual, 50 stormtroopers and two cannons can’t hit the broad side of a barn. I guess that’s pretty pointless to complain about, that’s been true since Star Wars.

When Lil Leia was asking for a ladder, my 12 year old looked at me and said, “I hate her.”

10 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure, but the Luke in Mandalorian thing was really just the cherry on top. That series was already excellent even without Luke. Him showing up just took it to the next level.

The Mandalorian series was already on another level. This is the only way to describe the Luke ending on top of a spectacular series.

71905160.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

spoilery speculation:

Reveal hidden contents

100% this.

For the most part, the Inquisitors aren’t doing anything that’s much of a challenge. At the point they are looking for Jedi, any really talented/badass Jedi are either already dead or well hidden. They are hunting/finding force-sensitive kids or otherwise young/not fully trained Jedi that managed to escape the purge.

And yeah in the Vader comics and such, he’s pretty shitty to the Inquisitors. He doesn’t think much of them and basically treats them like necessary attack dogs and abuses them at ever turn.

There’s probably something to your speculation, but I also saw where the final episode is supposed to be like 1.5 hours so there’s A LOT that can go down… Can’t wait to see how they tie it all together.

The Mandalorian series was already on another level. This is the only way to describe the Luke ending on top of a spectacular

I hadn’t seen The Mandalorian yet, so is started watching it now that I have Disney+. I got interrupted during the first episode. It seems to start out kind of slowly.

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

I hadn’t seen The Mandalorian yet, so is started watching it now that I have Disney+. I got interrupted during the first episode. It seems to start out kind of slowly.

I think it was around the third episode when it kicked in for me. It takes a little bit of time to get attached to Mando because he starts off as a pretty cold character.

18 minutes ago, F250 said:

I think it was around the third episode when it kicked in for me. It takes a little bit of time to get attached to Mando because he starts off as a pretty cold character.

Same. I remember watching all of season 1 like “okay I guess” and I rewatched it and was like “OH OKAY YES!” 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I still love it, but definitely some eye rolls in this episode. 

Hide contents

- Sending Jedi master Obi Wan back into the hangar with only two stormtrooper guards.  

- The unnecessary communication from Bail

- Leaving the communication device with Haja, who drops it, then Obi Wan not immediately asking about it when they escape.  “Hey, where is that communicator that holds clues to the biggest secret in the galaxy?”

- Grand Inquisitor showing back up with zero explanation other than the fact that Star Wars bad guys never actually die the first time you kill them (Palpatine, Maul, etc.)

- Reva not being beheaded or sliced in half or force choked to death after betraying Vader - see above rule.

- Reva just randomly reaching for things in her “death throes” and happening to find the clue to the biggest secret in the galaxy

I’m interested in how they are going to wrap all this up while giving a plausible explanation for Vader not learning about his children.  

Yep, I don’t think it’s picking nits to call the storyline of part V lazy.  

Spoiler

If Vader knew Reva was plotting against him, why the fuck would he put her in position to let OB1 get away?  Unless I’m missing something that’s a pretty obvious hole and dismantles the entire plot.  Maybe it’ll come out that Vader can sense something off and is baiting OB1 to figure out wtf it is.

And Reva still sucks.  Horribly casted, awfully written, terribly directed.

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hide contents

If Vader knew Reva was plotting against him, why the fuck would he put her in position to let OB1 get away?  Unless I’m missing something that’s a pretty obvious hole and dismantles the entire plot.  Maybe it’ll come out that Vader can sense something off and is baiting OB1 to figure out wtf it is.

Well, wasn’t he having visions that Leia had babies as she was dying during RotS?  Perhaps he knows OB1 is hiding something and is trying to figure out why Leia is under such protection by OB1.   

Really enjoyed that episode. The parallels to Empire were pretty good. Vader with the video game move on the starship. Enjoyed the Anakin training as that was something AOTC could've used. 

Spoiler

Somehow, the Grand Inquisitor returned

EM-aYgvU0AAaXQH.jpg

Edited by mdmost

Spoiler

Don’t think he saw her coming. Not until he lost the single focus of Obi Wan…I mean the episode kind of tees that up with the flashback that it’s a major weakness of Anakin.

Now did he say what he said. Sure he’s fucking “I’m the best and I’m gonna prove it to you” Anakin. People like that love to act like they knew shit they didn’t know for a lot longer than they actually did.

Vader used Reva the Jedi to find Kenobi the Jedi. 
Kenobi used Reva to give him time to escape. 
Kenobi gave hologram to Haja because it was important and there was a chance Reva would kill Kenobi during their meet outside.  
Haja dropping it and Reva finding it is lazy writing but whatever, this isn’t Tolstoy 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching this series with the family.  Really wanted to enjoy the show like the original trilogy, but the plot holes and illogical shenanigans just don't allow it.  It's like Mystery Science Theater in my house with the kids cracking wise at every flaw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Watching this series with the family.  Really wanted to enjoy the show like the original trilogy, but the plot holes and illogical shenanigans just don't allow it.  It's like Mystery Science Theater in my house with the kids cracking wise at every flaw.

It is a guilty pleasure for me. I'm enjoying it, but it's not great. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Vader used Reva the Jedi to find Kenobi the Jedi. 
Kenobi used Reva to give him time to escape. 
Kenobi gave hologram to Haja because it was important and there was a chance Reva would kill Kenobi during their meet outside.  
Haja dropping it and Reva finding it is lazy writing but whatever, this isn’t Tolstoy 

Did Kenobi knowingly send Reva to her death?  He had to know that Vader was going to whoop that ass.

Also as somebody who has seen a bit but not a ton of Clone Wars/Rebels this series is doing a good job filling in the color on Vader’s character. You don’t have to like it but what you see is despite all his power and ability underneath it all he is still petulant, whiny, prone to over confidence and over aggression Anakin.

His “you think I didn’t see it coming” was exactly what somebody like Anakin would say when they in fact did not see it coming. He’s full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

this show has darth vader.  most of my other shows don't have darth vader.  you can see the issue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Am I nuts, or was this episode of Vader significantly more powerful than in the original movies? Reva hitting at air and unable to land any swings until Vader decided he wanted to fight seems inconsistent. He seems invincible in this iteration 

Yea but you kind of have to toss that out. I mean frankly if you can force choke/push/lift etc etc etc at will why would you ever bother lighting up your saber and letting somebody get close to you.

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Am I nuts, or was this episode of Vader significantly more powerful than in the original movies? Reva hitting at air and unable to land any swings until Vader decided he wanted to fight seems inconsistent. He seems invincible in this iteration 

the first time i saw the original trilogy (2/3 in theater, was too young for star wars) i thought vader was the best villain in cinematic history.  most powerful and most evil.  my view on that has not changed much, just because inferior special effects in the early movies made him seem slightly less powerful than how he is now in the new stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the first time i saw the original trilogy (2/3 in theater, was too young for star wars) i thought vader was the best villain in cinematic history.  most powerful and most evil.  my view on that has not changed much, just because inferior special effects in the early movies made him seem slightly less powerful than how he is now in the new stuff.

Which makes it more amazing that he’s that powerful even though he has fully robotic limbs and is practically a walking life support machine. If he hadn’t lost to Kenobi on Mustafar, he’d probably be the most powerful force wielder ever.

43 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea but you kind of have to toss that out. I mean frankly if you can force choke/push/lift etc etc etc at will why would you ever bother lighting up your saber and letting somebody get close to you.

Because (It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber.)

christopher lee GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah… I think Jones and his estate will have final say on that.  

I imagine he would give his blessing and receive some estate action.   Maybe another Disney Studio's ride should be dedicated to Anakin. 

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Also as somebody who has seen a bit but not a ton of Clone Wars/Rebels this series is doing a good job filling in the color on Vader’s character. You don’t have to like it but what you see is despite all his power and ability underneath it all he is still petulant, whiny, prone to over confidence and over aggression Anakin.

His “you think I didn’t see it coming” was exactly what somebody like Anakin would say when they in fact did not see it coming. He’s full of shit.

Nah.  He was a good general overall but his issues are impulsiveness and impatience which is magnified when he is emotionally invested.   With Kenobi that is present.  With Reva, he doesn't give a fuck.   

On 6/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, closetohumping said:

Why didn’t any of the troopers warn Vader that something was up between Reva and obi.  Reva is still an evil bitch imo

Given Vader's love of killing the messenger anytime he gets even the slightest bit of bad news... no thanks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hide contents

Because the subtext of the whole episode was how Anakin/Vader was overly aggressive and sloppy when he’s going for the “W.”  That was the whole point of showing the training duel flashback.  In Vader’s mind, there was no way they would escape because HE’S Vader. He was going to go down there and pull that fucking spaceship out of the sky and fuck them up. But, wait, he didn’t consider they may use another ship as bait and then escape because he was so singularly focused on fucking shit up.

8 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

They have inconsistent force powers across every version of Star Wars. Moose outside should’ve told ‘ya.

But if you want and explanation from canon, Vader is absolutely at his most powerful and badass in the years in between ROTS and ANH… he’s in his prime physically (as it were) and he’s fucking pissed…100% all Dark Side power.  Once he learns of Luke prior to ESB, the inner conflict in him boils up and he starts to be not such an asshole. You actually see this in ESB when Piett is the first Imperial Officer who “fails him” who he DOESN’T kill after his initial confrontation with Luke.