Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

R1 was awesome because the director treated it like it was a war movie first, and a SW movie second. 

Yeah - and the disappointing thing is that was supposed to be the whole idea of the “anthology” movies in the first place.

They executed it to perfection with Rogue One, and then made the dumb decision to do a Han movie second. (I actually think the Han movie is a pretty entertaining flick in hindsight, but it didn’t do big numbers and was thus deemed a “failure”; nobody was EVER going to replicate what Harrison Ford brought to the table and thus fans were ALWAYS going to be disappointed.)

They should have stuck to their original plan and let interesting directors tell interesting Star Wars side stories. Rian Johnson absolutely should have done one of these instead of being part of the Skywalker saga… I’m sure he would have come up with something really cool.

They need to stay the fuck away from legacy characters being the focus of any TV or movie from now on. There’s too much emotional baggage and they will NEVER get it right in the eyes of fans who have had multiple decades to build up their own ideas about these characters in their minds.

If they are going to bring them back, they need to just do what they did with Luke in Mando… bring them in as a quick cameo or whatever. But keep the main story arcs on new characters or characters pulled from the various animated series.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It was meh. It's fodder for people dying for SW content. Was I entertained? Yea. But with the dearth of good film and content from Covid, I'll watch basically anything. I just can't get over how fucking lazy the writing and directing was. Some of the shit was Superman Leia in space levels bad. Those of you defending this shit haven't watched SW from CW and Rebels. You would then know what well crafted SW writing and directing is and how this show miserably fails in comparison. But YAY, new Star Wars content!!!!!

Darth has been hunting and killing Jedi and force children for 10 fucking years. He killed all the younglings. Obi got confirmation that Anakin is dead; there's no reason to not kill Darth. He could stop the Jedi hunting with one swing of his light saber. But he lets Darth live to continue wreaking terror on surviving Jedi, force sensitive kids, and the galaxy. Why even write that shit in the story line? He fucked up the first time but letting Anakin live. He fucks up AGAIN by now letting Darth live. He's not Obi-Wan, he's Obi-Fail. Fuck me that's just fucking lazy writing.

I’ve watched CW and Rebels twice, the same with Parks&Rec, the Office and other shows that I really enjoy. I’m not defending Kenobi left and right because the show obviously has its flaws. But to say that people linking it and defending why they do, somehow means they haven’t seen the CW or Rebels is a stretch imo. It’s entirely possible to like two separate things man. The CW is far from a perfectly crafted story with the movie being crap and the first 2 seasons being rough. Fans even made a viewing guide for CW so we could sift through all the unnecessary episodes and watch it in chronological order. 

Look, I love Rebels. It's some of my favorite Star Wars content. It was must see TV for me and the family. But come on, it did have hyperspace capable space whales that played a part in the storyline. It wasn't all Ahsoka vs. Vader. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Look, I love Rebels. It's some of my favorite Star Wars content. It was must see TV for me and the family. But come on, it did have hyperspace capable space whales that played a part in the storyline. It wasn't all Ahsoka vs. Vader. 

Absolutely.

People are WAY more forgiving about stuff that happens in the animated series, for whatever reason.

Yes, I loved them, but yeah as you said there was some stuff in it them would have the resident Comic Book Guys losing their shit if it were done in a live action series.

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I actually think the Han movie is a pretty entertaining flick in hindsight, but it didn’t do big numbers and was thus deemed a “failure”; nobody was EVER going to replicate what Harrison Ford brought to the table and thus fans were ALWAYS going to be disappointed.

Solo did poorly at the box office because it came out after TLJ and there was serious (and justified IMO) Rian Johnson backlash, not because they recast younger versions of Han and Lando. I waited for it to come out online and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

I made it about half way through Solo on two different occasions and just couldn't stay with it.  I don't think I'm missing much. 

Yeah, well my expectations after TLJ and the box office bust couldn’t have been lower and I found Solo to be merely worse than Attack of the Clones. I was surprised by and enjoyed the Maul cameo too. 

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Solo did poorly at the box office because it came out after TLJ and there was serious (and justified IMO) Rian Johnson backlash, not because they recast younger versions of Han and Lando. I waited for it to come out online and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. 

Yeah there’s a lot to like it in if you can just get past that it’s not Harrison Ford playing Solo. 

Woody Harrelson is perfect as Han’s mentor; I really enjoyed Donald Glover’s Lando and  it’s got some nice action set pieces … the whole mission to Kessel is great.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah there’s a lot to like it in if you can just get past that it’s not Harrison Ford playing Solo. 

Woody Harrelson is perfect as Han’s mentor; I really enjoyed Donald Glover’s Lando and  it’s got some nice action set pieces … the whole mission to Kessel is great.

Agreed, the biggest problem with Solo is nobody can live up to the fan's nostalgia for the Ford rendition of the character.  That said the character wasn't the same at the point Solo took place.  He was young, naive, in love, etc.  The movie attempts to show some of the things which made him the shoot first, ask questions later, wise ass with a heart of gold we met in Star Wars.   You could have had Ford play the character and if he was truthful as an actor to what the movie was trying to do it wouldn't have landed with the people wanting to see OT Han Solo.

Again, why well-known characters need to flit in and out of material centered around new characters, if be involved at all.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Agreed, the biggest problem with Solo is nobody can live up to the fan's nostalgia for the Ford rendition of the character.  That said the character wasn't the same at the point Solo took place.  He was young, naive, in love, etc.  The movie attempts to show some of the things which made him the shoot first, ask questions later, wise ass with a heart of gold we met in Star Wars.   You could have had Ford play the character and if he was truthful as an actor to what the movie was trying to do it wouldn't have landed with the people wanting to see OT Han Solo.

Again, why well-known characters need to flit in and out of material centered around new characters, if be involved at all.  

Yep.

Another thing that was great was the Enfyst Next character stealing materials for a proto-Rebellion. Would love to see that character and how she was working with early Rebel cells (Saw Gurerra?) in other shows set in that era. It would be cool if she popped up in Andor.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Absolutely.

People are WAY more forgiving about stuff that happens in the animated series, for whatever reason.

Yes, I loved them, but yeah as you said there was some stuff in it them would have the resident Comic Book Guys losing their shit if it were done in a live action series.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:29 PM, mdmost said:

The Hyperspace Capable Space Whale was what ObiWan was working on processing out in the desert in the first episode of the season if I'm not mistaken. 

The hyperspace capable space whale was…have any of y’all read the novelization of RoTJ? Leia’s “do it for the trees” speech to the Ewoks? If we’re being honest, it was cool because it was a kids’ series, but it was worse than Leia’s speech. A convenient device to get Ezra lost. 

On 7/1/2022 at 9:11 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

It also had all sorts of production issues and pretty much fired its directors with only a few weeks of shooting remaining.  It had terrible terrible buzz and then coming off TLJ, fans had some justified concerns.  I don't think anyone was sold on Alden either.... I don't think he was bad, but that's a role they probably shouldn't have been looking for a nameless guy.  Should have hired someone with some skins under their belt, even as a younger actor.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see the conversation has moved in from the actual show, but just want to come here and shit all over the Leia character in the series.

I have a 10 YO at home. She’s a helluva lot more mature than the character who acts more like a 6 year old on a good day.

And the character is just annoying. Maybe later in the series she’ll redeem herself, and give more insight if why grown up Leia is the way she is, but 4 episodes in I want to reach into my iPad and just slap her for being a brat. 

7 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I see the conversation has moved in from the actual show, but just want to come here and shit all over the Leia character in the series.

I have a 10 YO at home. She’s a helluva lot more mature than the character who acts more like a 6 year old on a good day.

And the character is just annoying. Maybe later in the series she’ll redeem herself, and give more insight if why grown up Leia is the way she is, but 4 episodes in I want to reach into my iPad and just slap her for being a brat. 

So you're saying she's like adult Leia without the maturity and responsibility? 

Watched another episode last night. Obiwan deflecting lasers from at least 10 storm troopers shooting at him from both directions…

In the intro to the series, there were clips from Revenge of the Sith where Jedis were taken out by 2 or 3 storm troopers.

So either Obiwan is just that badass or the storm troopers 10 years before were more accurate.

I’m most likely gonna power through this one but will hate every minute of it. 

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Watched another episode last night. Obiwan deflecting lasers from at least 10 storm troopers shooting at him from both directions…

In the intro to the series, there were clips from Revenge of the Sith where Jedis were taken out by 2 or 3 storm troopers.

So either Obiwan is just that badass or the storm troopers 10 years before were more accurate.

Clone Troopers vs. Storm Troopers. They are not the same. 

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yes and yes.

Obi-wan is considered the second most powerful Jedi of this era, only exceeded by Yoda.

And Clone Troopers are cloned/designed to be badass solders and trained from birth.  They are FAR superior to “regular” Stormtroopers, who are mostly poorly trained conscripts. 

Think of the storm troopers as Russian soldiers with Russian equipment. It explains the lack of guard rails and the shitty armor.
  • Like 1

Yes and yes.
Obi-wan is considered the second most powerful Jedi of this era, only exceeded by Yoda.
And Clone Troopers are cloned/designed to be badass solders and trained from birth.  They are FAR superior to “regular” Stormtroopers, who are mostly poorly trained conscripts. 

Well and a more logical explanation that doesn’t need all that back story is that Order 66 was a sneak attack where the guys who had been on the Jedi side for years are all of a sudden shooting them in the back. Obi Wan in this series expected hostility.

17 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well and a more logical explanation that doesn’t need all that back story is that Order 66 was a sneak attack where the guys who had been on the Jedi side for years are all of a sudden shooting them in the back. Obi Wan in this series expected hostility.

That too.

But they also have made the point many times in Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch that Clone Troopers are/were FAR superior to Stormtroopers.

I mean, they have gotten to the point where they actually make fun of how inept basic Stormtroopers are in the actual shows (Mandalorian, etc.).

There was a plot line in Bad Batch where the early Empire was making the decision to switch from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers, and the idea was that Stormtroopers may suck comparatively, but they have an unlimited supply (via conscripts) and and are dirt cheap compared with the expensive cloning/training program of the Clone Troopers.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Surly Bevo said:

I don't think that is it.  I think that the issue is we see him as a goofball and a blowhard throughout most of the movie.  It is like he is being carried through the show by serious people and everyone else is more competent than he is at everything.  Than out of nowhere we get him as a risky test pilot who can outshine others not based on hardwork and experience but from some innate ability that never manifested before.   Sure you have him driving a car and getting stuck and then have him doing a similar stunt in a faster craft later, but the loss of him being an actual pilot was missing.   Even the life-debt of Chewie was mostly due to Chewie doing all the work.   Lando's character was fine, he seemed more like BDW's Lando.   

It isn't that impossible to make a good character or story for existing characters.  Lucas didn't ruin Kenobi in the prequels, and Filoni didn't ruin him in the CW/Rebels series.   It just takes someone to watch the character and put in a real effort to understand and write/cast the character.   I think the casting of Solo was fine.  It was the writing and character interpretation that somewhat didn't land or match up with expectations.   Also the selfishness scoundrel nature was missing.   Luke had to promise him a big payday in order to motivate him to help rescue Leia.  He also left with the money before feeling guilted to come back to save Luke's ass.   This Solo gave away the cash.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think that is it.  I think that the issue is we see him as a goofball and a blowhard throughout most of the movie.  It is like he is being carried through the show by serious people and everyone else is more competent than he is at everything.  Than out of nowhere we get him as a risky test pilot who can outshine others not based on hardwork and experience but from some innate ability that never manifested before.   Sure you have him driving a car and getting stuck and then have him doing a similar stunt in a faster craft later, but the loss of him being an actual pilot was missing.   Even the life-debt of Chewie was mostly due to Chewie doing all the work.   Lando's character was fine, he seemed more like BDW's Lando.   
It isn't that impossible to make a good character or story for existing characters.  Lucas didn't ruin Kenobi in the prequels, and Filoni didn't ruin him in the CW/Rebels series.   It just takes someone to watch the character and put in a real effort to understand and write/cast the character.   I think the casting of Solo was fine.  It was the writing and character interpretation that somewhat didn't land or match up with expectations.   Also the selfishness scoundrel nature was missing.   Luke had to promise him a big payday in order to motivate him to help rescue Leia.  He also left with the money before feeling guilted to come back to save Luke's ass.   This Solo gave away the cash.  

a04baf1262b0bb19d57ef7a3a6402f25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if already discussed on a different thread. The new Disney ILM documentary was fascinating to watch. They showed some cool footage from the OT that I’ve never seen before, as well as other films like Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park. It’s wild to think that the original crew at ILM, with their weird and crazy backgrounds of work, would completely change the game of filmmaking. 

• 1 month later...

I'm circling back to some stuff because I haven't had Disney+ in awhile. This is one of the stupidest fucking TV shows I've ever seen. Just awful from the start. 

On 8/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, DoneWithit said:

Sorry if already discussed on a different thread. The new Disney ILM documentary was fascinating to watch. They showed some cool footage from the OT that I’ve never seen before, as well as other films like Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park. It’s wild to think that the original crew at ILM, with their weird and crazy backgrounds of work, would completely change the game of filmmaking. 

This is actually great - although I thought it tailed off a bit after the first few episodes about the first SW movies. I meant to start a thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm circling back to some stuff because I haven't had Disney+ in awhile. This is one of the stupidest fucking TV shows I've ever seen. Just awful from the start. 

This is actually great - although I thought it tailed off a bit after the first few episodes about the first SW movies. I meant to start a thread. 

I only like half of your post haha but the doc was good. George really let those guys just do whatever the fuck they wanted to do for the first movie. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Edited by BrickHorn

• 8 months later...

I'm really late to the party but I've never been a SW nerd but my kid has liked it for a while and I started watching them together, we've seen from Ep1 -3, Obi Wan series, and Ep4.

I thought the light saber and fight scenes in the prequels were awesome. Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Yoda vs Dooku and Obi Wan vs Darth Vader were all awesome. The Obi Wan vs Darth Vader fight scene was comically bad. Two stiff 60 year olds standing 4 feet from each other, stationary, and barely moving their swords.

Also, I'm struck with how ANH/Ep4 feels very rushed and thin on world-building and character development. Maybe it wasn't that way in the late 70's cinema world and maybe it's because the following movies fleshed it out more.

Oh, and Reva was the absolute worst. Followed by little girl Leia. Obi Wan was cool and awesome though

Edited by HamsterHookah

33 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

The Obi Wan vs Darth Vader fight scene was comically bad. Two stiff 60 year olds standing 4 feet from each other, stationary, and barely moving their swords.

Even when it came out, there was a lot of weight behind that scene thanks to Guinness - it wasn't about the fight itself, but past relationships/breaks, and moving on.

Even as a kid who saw it in the theaters, I knew there was a lot that was unspoken.

33 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Also, I'm struck with how ANH/Ep4 feels very rushed and thin on world-building and character development. Maybe it wasn't that way in the late 70's cinema world and maybe it's because the following movies fleshed it out more.

It was due to budget, time constraints, ILM having to make up a whole shitload of effects stuff on the go, and Lucas wasn't sure if he'd get another movie, and he was arguably treading new ground so there was a lot of uncertainty.  Nobody had ever done such a huge effects-laden film like that.

And Martha Lucas saved it in editing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

I thought the light saber and fight scenes in the prequels were awesome. Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Yoda vs Dooku and Obi Wan vs Darth Vader were all awesome. The Obi Wan vs Darth Vader fight scene was comically bad. Two stiff 60 year olds standing 4 feet from each other, stationary, and barely moving their swords.

I've already got this cued up (just hit play) because it completely takes apart this statement better than can be stated.

• Hook 'Em 3

Last week I watched Rogue One, A New Hope, and the Empire Strikes Back, because I realized that there were tons of references in the new show that I just don't remember from the originals (and Rogue One which I found to be extremely helpful in understanding the set up for A New Hope). The special effects and choreography are of course not very sophisticated in the originals, but I imagine were spectacular for its time. The thing that sticks out most to me from A New Hope is how bad some of the dialogue is, especially from Han Solo. The plot also is difficult to keep track of, it reads like a super complex sci-fi novel for nerds, but I do appreciate now the subtleties that made their way into the prequels, sequels, and Disney + series. It also establishes my belief that people who complain about cheesiness form time to time in the Mandalorian some of the other parts of the saga must have truly forgotten the originals. Yoda is literally a Sesame Street muppet for much of the movie, super cheesy dialogue. Same with the droids. I had completely forgotten about Porkins too, a fat joke during a major space battle, made me chuckle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

It also establishes my belief that people who complain about cheesiness form time to time in the Mandalorian some of the other parts of the saga must have truly forgotten the originals.

No, it's just that when they watched them, they were at an age when everything was more magical. It was most likely at a time where they were either really young or not yet a jaded adult. The new stuff can't reclaim that magic you felt when you were a kid because it's all been done over and over now. I think the Marvel movies come the closest because everything that came before Iron Man was mostly total crap. Andor hit well because it's the adult Star Wars most now adult Star Wars fans would love to see. I think it's also why Rogue One is highly thought of. 

As far as the Obi Wan series, I'll go back to this really didn't need to be done as a series but it was cool seeing Ewan being Obi Wan again and Hayden getting a turn as a truly badass Vader. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Last week I watched Rogue One, A New Hope, and the Empire Strikes Back, because I realized that there were tons of references in the new show that I just don't remember from the originals (and Rogue One which I found to be extremely helpful in understanding the set up for A New Hope). The special effects and choreography are of course not very sophisticated in the originals, but I imagine were spectacular for its time. The thing that sticks out most to me from A New Hope is how bad some of the dialogue is, especially from Han Solo. The plot also is difficult to keep track of, it reads like a super complex sci-fi novel for nerds, but I do appreciate now the subtleties that made their way into the prequels, sequels, and Disney + series. It also establishes my belief that people who complain about cheesiness form time to time in the Mandalorian some of the other parts of the saga must have truly forgotten the originals. Yoda is literally a Sesame Street muppet for much of the movie, super cheesy dialogue. Same with the droids. I had completely forgotten about Porkins too, a fat joke during a major space battle, made me chuckle.

As someone who just watched a New Hope, 100% all of this. I'm sure in 1977 it was bleeding edge stuff and just mind blowing, etc. But revisiting it is 25% cheese, 25% cringe and 50% cool. 

Also, about the horrible lightsaber duel, I read this online, not sure of it's veracity:

The REAL WORLD answer is that the guy in the Vader suit was a big, lumbering guy who didn’t move real fast. On top of that, he lied about having a background with sword fighting to get the part, so they expected a better duel before they realized David Prowse was completely unskilled, and the fight we saw got put together on the fly.

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

I never paid super close attention in earlier viewings. Of course I got the basic plot, get the stolen death star plans to the rebels so they can find a weakness and blow it up, which they do at the end. It's the stuff in between that has spawned a dozen other movies and series that is kind of confusing if you don't recall it from the originals. History of the Jedi, the force, the rise of the Empire, relationships, planets, etc. I mean they really were winging it in some respects in A New Hope. I'm almost certain they didn't intend Luke and Leia to be siblings, or maybe those were just the times, LOL.

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I never paid super close attention in earlier viewings. Of course I got the basic plot, get the stolen death star plans to the rebels so they can find a weakness and blow it up, which they do at the end. It's the stuff in between that has spawned a dozen other movies and series that is kind of confusing if you don't recall it from the originals. History of the Jedi, the force, the rise of the Empire, relationships, planets, etc. I mean they really were winging it in some respects in A New Hope. I'm almost certain they didn't intend Luke and Leia to be siblings, or maybe those were just the times, LOL.

dude put that shit in spoilers for all the people on this thread who are unfamiliar with these films.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Did you miss this whole scene?  In 1977 this was pretty much all you needed.  All the other shit that is supposedly confusing you plot-wise did not matter when this movie came out.  This scene right here coupled with what you have already seen (gigantic Imperial Cruiser hunting down a tiny Rebel ship) sets everything in motion and even explains a bit of the history (from Obi Wan's point of view) that brought things to this point.  Who the Jedi "guardians of peace and justice for over a thousand generations"  That the jedi were no longer around.  That times use to be better and more civilized and now they are not, etc etc etc

Yes, I found the scene confusing, its a lot of plot in a very short period of time, with some vagaries that get fleshed out later, including who his father is that he's talking about. I'm not criticizing the movie or the writers, it's more of a me problem, this reads a lot like sci-fi fiction that I was only briefly into as a teenager. It's also confusing that Obi-Wan refers to him as "Darth" as though that's his name, it's only later apparent that it's a title held by others. Again, none of this is criticism, just an explanation why I wanted to go back and watch more intently with the benefit of everything else since the original movie.

Edited by 'stache

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes, I found the scene confusing, its a lot of plot in a very short period of time, with some vagaries that get fleshed out later, including who his father is that he's talking about. I'm not criticizing the movie or the writers, it's more of a me problem, this reads a lot like sci-fi fiction that I was only briefly into as a teenager. It's also confusing that Obi-Wan refers to him as "Darth" as though that's his name, it's only later apparent that it's a title held by others. Again, none of this is criticism, just an explanation why I wanted to go back and watch more intently with the benefit of everything else since the original movie.

It's not really much plot - more of fillers that basically tell you there was a better time before and that the Empire (in case you slept through the start of the movie) is bad. And that Vader has links to Luke.

And yes a lot of mythos stuff that was made up after Star Wars. I think Darth being Vader's title was first mentioned in Starlog, they don't mention the Sith anywhere in Star Wars either. The Skywalker family (Luke-Leia-Anakin) tree was made up almost on the fly during Empire and Jedi.