Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

49 minutes ago, TOR said:

Mandalorian, Boba Fett, this.  Disney is kicking a whole lot of Star Wars ass with these shows.  Taking the franchise away from Lucas was the best thing that ever happened.

Andor looks dope too. I haven’t watched the leaked Mando s3 or Ahsoka trailers yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TOR said:

Mandalorian, Boba Fett, this.  Disney is kicking a whole lot of Star Wars ass with these shows.  Taking the franchise away from Lucas was the best thing that ever happened.

Umm…did you see latest trilogy? 😃

I’d argue these are the most Lucas thing in 20 years. Everyone shits on George and likes to give credit for his movies to everyone else, but the stories and visuals are are his. Yeah it helps to have good writers, actors, or producers, but when doesn’t it?  I feel bad hating on Hayden, but in honestly think ep 2 and 3 would actually have been pretty solid to very good with a better actor (or better fit)

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I give Lucas eternal credit for the story, mythos, and characters, but Anakin Skywalker in Eps. 2 and 3 and his interactions with Padme seem like they were written by a 50 year old, overweight nerdy virgin. 

Yeah, Lucas had some great story ideas, but he sucked when it was him writing the actual scripts. Thank God for Filoni. While he looks like an old overweight nerdy virgin, he actually knows how to both make a good story and dialog that works. He also excels at fitting backstory into elements that don't seemingly work. It seems like Kathleen Kennedy has realized that just leaving pretty much everything up to Filoni and Favreau is the best thing to do. Wish she had realized it sooner.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Speaking of years or the age of the Leia actress, did you know this show is set in 10 BBY, three years after the movie Solo was set. 

So in 10 years this guy:

image.jpeg
will be banging her:

image.jpeg

Actually that does kind of work out. Harrison Ford was 14 years older than Carrie Fisher when he was banging her on the set of Star Wars. 

Color me mildly underwhelmed so far, but I had high hopes.  Ewan McGregor has been awesome.  Reva so far appears horribly miscast and poorly written, and Leia has missed the mark as well.  And through 2 episodes it really doesn’t feel like much has happened.  Showing the transition of Jedi being ubiquitous in the PT to being all but forgotten 20 years later is difficult for this story to manage, but they’ve done ok on that with plot points like the fake Jedi.  Hopefully it picks up and they are able to weave in Anakin and Qui-Gonn in a meaningful believable way.

17 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

re-watched the first two episodes again cause nothing much else on tv today.   at the beginning of the order 66 scene, the youngling in the center of the screen, could that be Reva?   same look and hair, not sure that the age lines up though.   I thought for second that the mom and kid going through the fake Jedi to escape the planet could have been Ezra but the plants don't line up from what I know about Ezra, and also the age thing again.   

My assumption after the second watch was this. They could have shown anything related to Order 66, but they chose to show a group of younglings running away. I’m fairly certain that had a specific purpose.

I figured Reva was likely one of them, and it would explain her hatred for the Jedi and Kenobi, in particular, since he’s the one who sends out the message for all Jedi to go into hiding.  She likely feels abandoned by the Jedi, which is why she joined up with the Inquistors.

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Color me mildly underwhelmed so far, but I had high hopes.  Ewan McGregor has been awesome.  Reva so far appears horribly miscast and poorly written, and Leia has missed the mark as well.  And through 2 episodes it really doesn’t feel like much has happened.  Showing the transition of Jedi being ubiquitous in the PT to being all but forgotten 20 years later is difficult for this story to manage, but they’ve done ok on that with plot points like the fake Jedi.  Hopefully it picks up and they are able to weave in Anakin and Qui-Gonn in a meaningful believable way.

On the point about the Jedi - virtually all of them were wiped out at once during Order 66.  And any remaining prominent Jedi outside of Obi-Wan and Yoda were hunted and killed in the 10 years that followed.

Now they are essentially just hunting down stragglers… I believe Reva even mentioned something about what they are hunting are “scraps.” 

A key thing to remember about them being “forgotten” is that the vast, vast majority of the galaxy never interacted with Jedi, even when they were in their prime. (This was covered a bit in some of the side stories on The Clone Wars)….

So considering that, you could see how nobody would have much of a reference point for Jedi 20 years after they were essentially all wiped out when most people never saw/interacted with them in the first place.

• Like 1

The first 2 episodes were ok.  It helps that McGregor is the best actor to appear in anything star wars since McGregor in the prequals.

The little girl Leia is marginally better than Jake Lloyd.

Obiwan having nightmares about the prequals immediately made him a good proxy for the audience.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

You should watch her in the 1977 Star Wars movie.  She hates authority figures.

Or just re-watch the entire OT.

Leia is kind of an asshole to everyone all the time… that’s kind of her thing, lol.

The characterization of young Leia is dead-on perfect. She’s kind and protective of others, but is a boss bitch who doesn’t suffer fools.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I thought the girl that played Leia is a pretty good little actress for her age. This is the type of series where you wish they would throw all the episodes out there so it doesn't drag out for weeks. Showing clips of the prequels to get us back up to speed just makes me realize how Hayden Christian was so miscast, and how Lucas was more into the special effects than he was the actual backstory that led up to A New Hope. It still pisses me off how bad those 3 movies were. They're almost unwatchable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

I thought the girl that played Leia is a pretty good little actress for her age. This is the type of series where you wish they would throw all the episodes out there so it doesn't drag out for weeks. Showing clips of the prequels to get us back up to speed just makes me realize how Hayden Christian was so miscast, and how Lucas was more into the special effects than he was the actual backstory that led up to A New Hope. It still pisses me off how bad those 3 movies were. They're almost unwatchable. 

Yeah, I thought it was a little overkill giving us a summary of the ENTIRE prequels was a bit much.  Just give me Obiwan lopping off Anakin's limbs and setting him on fire and I'm good.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

It still pisses me off how bad those 3 movies were. They're almost unwatchable. 

The Clone Wars made the prequels very watchable.

Star Wars Episode VII - IX made the prequels look like decent filmmaking.

I agree with a shit-ton of the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels, but I give Lucas a ton of credit for not remaking his original movies and for creating a bunch of new/interesting characters/settings.  

I no longer understand the love for JJ Abrams, dude turned out to be just a fucking hack with both the Star Trek and Star Wars movies.  With Star Trek, he had to reboot the original characters and ship (and the most beloved villain Khan) to make it un-Star Trek-like because He's. JJ Fucking Abrams, and it caused (and still causes) a lot of problems with canon/continuity/etc..  With Star Wars, he did the exact opposite and just fucking remade A New Hope rather than introducing new stories and characters.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Clone Wars made the prequels very watchable.

Star Wars Episode VII - IX made the prequels look like decent filmmaking.

I agree with a shit-ton of the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels, but I give Lucas a ton of credit for not remaking his original movies and for creating a bunch of new/interesting characters/settings.  

I no longer understand the love for JJ Abrams, dude turned out to be just a fucking hack with both the Star Trek and Star Wars movies.  With Star Trek, he had to reboot the original characters and ship (and the most beloved villain Khan) to make it un-Star Trek-like because He's. JJ Fucking Abrams, and it caused (and still causes) a lot of problems with canon/continuity/etc..  With Star Wars, he did the exact opposite and just fucking remade A New Hope rather than introducing new stories and characters.

All of this.

And I would argue the only one of the prequels that delves into “unwatchable” territory is Attack of the Clones.

Both TPM and ROTS have some moments and characters that don’t work, but both are solid films, IMO.

As it were, I recently saw an interview with Ewan where is said that literally 100% of the dialog in AOTC had to be done with ADR because they figured out after the fact that the “digital bank” they constructed to view what was shot with the 1st generation digital cameras created some kind of interference that messed up the on-set audio. That explains a lot of the bad acting.

• Like 4

For anyone else who has hit rock bottom they know exactly what Ben is going through, and McGregor is playing it flawlessly. 

There are final hits and there are final hits…. I hope he chooses life, chooses a career…
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

All of this.

And I would argue the only one of the prequels that delves into “unwatchable” territory is Attack of the Clones.

Both TPM and ROTS have some moments and characters that don’t work, but both are solid films, IMO.

As it were, I recently saw an interview with Ewan where is said that literally 100% of the dialog in AOTC had to be done with ADR because they figured out after the fact that the “digital bank” they constructed to view what was shot with the 1st generation digital cameras created some kind of interference that messed up the on-set audio. That explains a lot of the bad acting.

There is a lot wrong with the PT…but there is definitely something good there. Rewatched hem recently with the kids. Kids still love them. And honestly, AotC it actually seemed like 99% of the issue with it was Hayden’s delivery of everything. Even the lines that came off cringy wouldn’t have been that bad delivered by someone with an ounce of charisma. Maybe the above had something to do with that. I kept thinking if someone with a better delivery than a cardboard cut out would have saved those scenes. 

Definitely delivered.  But a couple of complaints (more than 2):

The goons they sent to kidnap Leia must run like 9.4 forties.  Slow as fuck.

This Obi wan is what 50?  There is a lot to bridge as the Obi wan that Guiness played had to be 75.  Not sure it lines up with Luke's age correctly.

Leia does not look 10 at all.

The meat processing company that Obi was working at should go out of business soon.  Probably a lot of contamination and temperature issues doing it out in the open like that.  Looked like some good toro.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, GTX Horn said:

Considering how much he seemed to struggle even to save Leia when she was falling, it’s safe to say he’s rusty. I mean he hasn’t really used the force in 10 years. That’s why he kept telling Bail Organa he’s not the man he once was. Of course peak Kenobi could take the three of the Inquisitors on at once and win. I mean, he defeated peak Vader (at least physically) but they’ve got to make it somewhat evenly matched. I’m guessing he’s gonna gradually regain his powers throughout the series leading up to a potential showdown with Vader. Obviously at this point he’d be no match for Vader.

He defeated Vader because he had the high ground.  He was back pedaling all fight.  Dooku whipped that ass twice.

The Asian inquisitor was cringe as was Reva honestly.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, Captainant said:

Maybe he gets hit with some inquisitor lightning that ages him?

Bro, there are TWO SUNS.  Obi sits out there smoking bantha shit and creeping on Luke, he ages quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

There is a lot wrong with the PT…but there is definitely something good there. Rewatched hem recently with the kids. Kids still love them. And honestly, AotC it actually seemed like 99% of the issue with it was Hayden’s delivery of everything. Even the lines that came off cringy wouldn’t have been that bad delivered by someone with an ounce of charisma. Maybe the above had something to do with that. I kept thinking if someone with a better delivery than a cardboard cut out would have saved those scenes. 

This is what has me reconsidering the PT somewhat.  My kids like the prequels.  My friends who are in their 20s/30s who maybe saw the PT first, or saw it in the theater, versus the OT on DVD/VHS, don't have the hate/don't understand the hate for the PT.

But also, like I said, the Clone Wars and other animated stuff, plus the TV shows, have me rethinking it somewhat.  It's not rose-colored glasses tinted with nostalgia either - I saw the OT when they come out in theaters and I saw the PT in the theaters as well, opening night for TPM even.  The prequels left me wanting or thinking something was off (midichlorians were probably my biggest hangup, not Hayden's acting).  I even bought TPM on DVD, but then failed to buy the other two (and only watched TPM when we got a widescreen CRT TV that weighed like 500 lbs).  The Red Letter Media reviews kept turning on light bulbs in my head.

And I keep coming back to the prequels were what Lucas wanted to make.  Even if we make fun of them for seemingly being the first draft he wrote, for being political space opera that Lucas claimed was for 8 year-olds, they were Lucas's vision - he had full and final say over every line, every scene, and he had full editorial control.  What we saw in theaters was basically The Director's Cut.

And yeah, Abrams fucking up the sequels so bad really drove home the point that at least Lucas was trying new shit and trying to fill in the backstory of his universe.

• Hook 'Em 2

I decided to rewatch the second Trilogy today.  PM isn't as bad as I remember.  Yes, JarJar is fucking cringeworthy, but most of the rest of it wasn't that bad.  Even the kid wasn't horrible, and I loved the Pod Race (forgot how fun that was).  

AoTC, Hayden was horrible.  He was so wooden and unbelievable. He wasn't helped by the shit dialogue, but Padme falling for him when Obi-Wan Kenobi is there is probably the most fucking unbelievable part (Ewan McGregor is hotter than Hayden Christensen in all ways).  Others were considered, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Heath Ledger, and Christian Bale.  Of those, I think Heath and Christian would have been much better (cannot see Leo as Anakin).  

About to start RoTS.  Back when they came out, this was my favorite of the three.  

This is the first time I have seen any of these since I saw them in the theater. That is telling on how bad I think they were since I will sit down and watch the OT a lot.

And why I went on that, I did watch the first two episodes of Obi-Wan on Friday.  It is really good.  I am digging it.  Cannot wait to see where they go with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I decided to rewatch the second Trilogy today.  PM isn't as bad as I remember.  Yes, JarJar is fucking cringeworthy, but most of the rest of it wasn't that bad.  Even the kid wasn't horrible, and I loved the Pod Race (forgot how fun that was).  

AoTC, Hayden was horrible.  He was so wooden and unbelievable. He wasn't helped by the shit dialogue, but Padme falling for him when Obi-Wan Kenobi is there is probably the most fucking unbelievable part (Ewan McGregor is hotter than Hayden Christensen in all ways).  Others were considered, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Heath Ledger, and Christian Bale.  Of those, I think Heath and Christian would have been much better (cannot see Leo as Anakin).  

About to start RoTS.  Back when they came out, this was my favorite of the three.  

This is the first time I have seen any of these since I saw them in the theater. That is telling on how bad I think they were since I will sit down and watch the OT a lot.

And why I went on that, I did watch the first two episodes of Obi-Wan on Friday.  It is really good.  I am digging it.  Cannot wait to see where they go with it.

Obi Wan wasn't pursuing her though.  Jedi can't bang or even date. 

Some moments of the prequel were cringe for sure, but they're watchable imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

AOTC and TLJ are the only real unwatchable ones for me.  the whole deal with Padme calling him "Ani" and Christiansen trying to play "everyone but me is stupid" 16 year old teen just kill AOTC and part of ROTS. so forced.  the script for AOTC is beyond terrible.

as for Obi Wan.  so far pretty damn good.  child actors are always a crap shoot but do agree they should have picked an older kid.  only 2 things I didn't really like were the "chase Leia" scenes(I hate unrealistic people chase scenes) and the Reva actress.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

for Obi Wan.  so far pretty damn good.  child actors are always a crap shoot but do agree they should have picked an older kid.  only 2 things I didn't really like were the "chase Leia" scenes(I hate unrealistic people chase scenes) and the Reva actress.

I’m with you here. Her running away was like watching the speeder bike chase scene in mando er boba. And reva busy ignoring direct orders and going rogue exclusively for 2 episodes with zero repercussions other then continued “hey stop that”.   It’s clumsy.  

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

Pissed off vader is gonna be awesome. 

when you think about it, pissed off Vader scenes are pretty much the high points of the whole damn thing.  Ford/Yoda in the original trilogy a close second.

Caught up on these two late last night.  So far I think it's just ok.

The actress playing Reva seems like she was built out of some leftover wood that they had when they made Hayden Christensen...not good at all

I thought the actress playing Leia was actually pretty good, held her own as a sharp witted intelligent and precocious girl.  

Ewan was solid as always and I think Edgerton is great playing a crusty/surly Lars.

So far though I find myself not caring a bit.  It's back to  a "I know how this plays out" sort of deal so the story better be really fucking compelling vs The Mandalorian or even Book of Boba Fett where there is still some mystery as to what happens next.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 6

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is what has me reconsidering the PT somewhat.  My kids like the prequels.  My friends who are in their 20s/30s who maybe saw the PT first, or saw it in the theater, versus the OT on DVD/VHS, don't have the hate/don't understand the hate for the PT.

Check out Filoni’s explanation of the first battle of the fates in season 1 of Gallery.  The way he lays out what was at stake in the battle between Qui-Gon and Maul is really compelling and redeems TPM, strengthening the whole PT IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Obi Wan wasn't pursuing her though.  Jedi can't bang or even date. 

Some moments of the prequel were cringe for sure, but they're watchable imo.

Kenobi had his own interest, the Mandalorian Queen.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:27 PM, kevwun said:

I think the clone wars and rebels ruined live action Jedi.  Their powers and fight scenes are so much more fluid when they are animated.

Agreed. I said this about the Mando series. After watching Clone Wars (especially the last final 2 episodes which together make THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE ever) and Rebels, the Star Wars universe is better told in animation. That medium is better suited for action scenes especially with jumping, flying, fighting and awesome Jedi shit. In live action, we get Reva doing uncoordinated herp derp parkour on a roof top. I thought of Case McCoy's run against aggy. We've had much better parkour in Bourne and Bond movies, and those dudes aren't Jedi.

I realize most of you fockers wouldn't watch this series if it were in animation but I'm just thinking what better story and visuals these episodes would be in animation. Disney realizes that too so we get Reva McCoy doing shitty parkour as an allusion to the powers of the Jedi/Sith.

Reva casting is just shitty. They should've named her Karen cause that's the vibe I get from her.

Bratty Leia needs to die but she won't. 

Love the idea of the series. Knowing what it could have been, I'm giving it a 6/10 for the first 2 eps .

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Alec Guinness was 62 when he filmed A New Hope.  Ewan is 51 currently.

Yeah harder living back in the day, lol.

Mark Hamill was *older* than Guinness was in ANH while shooting TLJ. He was 64-65 when that movie was in production.  And they actually made him look *older* in that movie than he looks IRL.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Clone Wars and Rebels worth watching?  There's a lot of episodes.

Yes. Earlier seasons of CWs are more kid centric. Later seasons get darker and more adult. Last 2 episodes of CW are fucking amazing.

Rebels starts slow in first season but by second half of of season 1, it kicks ass until the end. There will be moments catered towards kids but the theme and story lines are adult.

Watching those two series gives much better color and history to many of the characters in the live action series, especially if Filoni is involved. You will be entertained watching the new live action without CW and Rebels, but it'll be a much richer experience having watched CW and Rebels.

It's like watching LOTR movies with having read versus not having read the books. Yes it is entertaining but knowing the deeper stories behind the visuals made for a richer experience.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Clone Wars and Rebels worth watching?  There's a lot of episodes.

I think most people here would say YES.

Clone Wars is very long, but there's a guide that has been posted here multiple times that is very helpful for knowing what you can skip and what you should watch to get the key story elements that tie to other SW stories/series. And the 4-episode finale that was released last year (?) of The Clone Wars is basically a 2-hour movie that is as good as ANY Star Wars stuff out there.  It takes place concurrently with the events of ROTS.

If you grew up on the OT, you will love Rebels. It's not as long as Clone Wars with much less filler... it has the OT "feel" and probably has 4-5 of the all-time best Star Wars moments.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think most people here would say YES.

Clone Wars is very long, but there's a guide that has been posted here multiple times that is very helpful. And the 4-episode finale that was released last year (?) of The Clone Wars is basically a 2-hour movie that is as good as ANY Star Wars stuff out there.  It takes place concurrently with the events of ROTS.

If you grew up on the OT, you will love Rebels. It's not as long as Clone Wars with much less filler... it has the OT "feel" and probably has 4-5 of the all-time best Star Wars moments of all-time.

Without spoiling much, the episodes at the Sith Temple are incredible and the story lines and themes are heavy. The animation and the music were incredible.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Rebels felt more kid friendly to me at first than clone wars. Clone wars starts with the movie and a pretty impressive opening battle sequence. Rebels starts with some kids doing shit. But rebels quickly gets into gear and moves past that. 

Yeah I remember overall when I first started I "clicked" with Rebels much faster than Clone Wars; possibly because early Clone Wars had lots "filler" episodes that felt VERY kid-centric... like having whole episodes about a few droids, etc.  Rebels had Ezra and *some* kid stuff but felt very much like the OT to me.

But I will say when Clone Wars gets dark, it gets DARK. There are some episodes/arcs that go pretty far on death and violence. I'm thinking of the Satine/Mandalore arc, some of the Savage/Maul stuff and that arc where that dickhead Jedi general was treating clones like disposable droids.