Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

On 9/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, utee94 said:

No kidding, looks pretty awesome to me.  It depends of course on how good the mac and cheese is.

Tried it last week. Is it as good as scratch mac and cheese made at the house? No.  Is it better than Kraft Deluxe or Cracker Barrel boxed mac and chee?  Yes.  Is it better than most restaurant mac and chee?  I'd also say yes.  It's quite tasty would order it again. 

Oh, and I'll definitely try adding it as a condiment to my next spicy sammich.

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I golfed with Corporate guy last night. He told us they aren't expecting to have the stores restocked Nationally until November. He said it's not just a product problem but the entire supply chain is unequipped to handle the demand and that it all stemmed from the one tweet. 

Pure brilliance from Popeyes right there.  Sounds like that level of unpreparedness is SOP at that company, from the top to the bottom.

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I golfed with Corporate guy last night. He told us they aren't expecting to have the stores restocked Nationally until November. He said it's not just a product problem but the entire supply chain is unequipped to handle the demand and that it all stemmed from the one tweet. 

Did you tell him about the poor food quality and terrible service at the Popeye's on University in Round Rock?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Pure brilliance from Popeyes right there.  Sounds like that level of unpreparedness is SOP at that company, from the top to the bottom.

Some crazy run on a new product was the last thing they expected. When has that ever happened at Popeye's? Probably figured they'd  put a new sandwich on the menu, sell a few, rotate it out for something else after a while.

Edited by Deej

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Baboontyme said:

Chicken place unable to deal with chicken supply chain issues.

Fuckin world class businessmen right there, let me tell you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

If only the Popeyes fanboys knew how easy it is to deep fry a chicken breast and make a kickass sandwich at home.

This.

The KFC in New Zealand made a "Works" Burger that you couldn't get here. Fried chicken breast with bacon, cheese, and pineapple. Best chicken sandwich I ever had. Sure enough, I could replicate it at home 

12 hours ago, TornACL said:

If only the Popeyes fanboys knew how easy it is to deep fry a chicken breast and make a kickass sandwich at home.

A few fresh ingredients and a recipe and I can probably make just about anything better at home.  Does that mean I should stop eating out?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

A few fresh ingredients and a recipe and I can probably make just about anything better at home.  Does that mean I should stop eating out?

Yeah I wouldn't go that far. Chicken sandwiches are easy. That doesn't mean everything is easy. 

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I've never tried frying chicken at home, sounds like a fun experiment with the kids and a chance to maybe let them see a firetruck up close and in action. What do you use for the breading? Bread crumbs? Cornmeal?

Google Thomas Keller's buttermilk fried chicken recipe. It's amazing. The brining process is pretty lengthy and not sure all the steps there make that much of a difference. I think you could just brine in salt/sugar overnight and then do the rest of it and it will be terrific.

28 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I've never tried frying chicken at home, sounds like a fun experiment with the kids and a chance to maybe let them see a firetruck up close and in action. What do you use for the breading? Bread crumbs? Cornmeal?

cornmeal.  definitely cornmeal. 

19 hours ago, Deej said:

This.

The KFC in New Zealand made a "Works" Burger that you couldn't get here. Fried chicken breast with bacon, cheese, and pineapple. Best chicken sandwich I ever had. Sure enough, I could replicate it at home 

Back in the day the McDonalds in Auckland had a "Bula" burger:  Quarter pounder with a slice of beet and a fried egg.  Not too bad.  

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Corn meal for fried chicken?

No.

For your first attempt, use a deep skillet and add a half inch of veg oil, corn oil, or ideally, Crisco.

Use boneless chicken tenders. Much easier than a whole bone in chicken and the kids will love them.

Beat two eggs with a half cup of milk. In another bowl, add mix one cup of flour and one cup of panko or plain bread crumbs

Heat oil to 350' (usually 4 or 5 on the stove), and season the tenders liberally with S&P and then dip them in the egg wash and the roll them in the flour mix. Fry until crisp turning once. Or twice whetever it takes.

Serve with Whataburger Honey Mustard Sauce, available at your local HEB, (if you can catch it open).

Do that a couple of times and then you can graduate to legs and bone in thighs.

Cooking with kids is a great way to spend time with them and give them valuable life skills.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deej said:

This.

best fast food fried chicken sandwich i've had was at mcdonalds in singapore.  whole boneless chicken thigh, deep fried and juicy.