Foods you love that are often disappointing.

Incredulity

36 minutes ago, Iceman said:

The best cheesesteak I've had is waay, waaaay, waaaaaay the fuck better than the best crabcakes I've had...and a shit-ton cheaper.

Granted, it was in Philly and that's a hellova commute...but dayum a properly made cheesesteak is a glorious sammich.

I had always grown up loving cheese steaks made with provolone or mozzarella and peppers/onion. Had to go to Philadelphia about 15 years ago and decided to try one of those famous Philly cheese steak places. Wait the line, get up and order, and when it comes out it has that fake ass processed cheese whiz shit on it. I asked the guy what the fuck is this and requested some real fucking cheese because I'm not eating fake ass cheese on a cheese steak. After much back and forth cursing I gave the sandwich to a kid that was behind me and left. Should have figured those uneducated, idiot rubes in Philadelphia would willingly choose processed fake cheese over the real deal. 

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I had always grown up loving cheese steaks made with provolone or mozzarella and peppers/onion. Had to go to Philadelphia about 15 years ago and decided to try one of those famous Philly cheese steak places. Wait the line, get up and order, and when it comes out it has that fake ass processed cheese whiz shit on it. I asked the guy what the fuck is this and requested some real fucking cheese because I'm not eating fake ass cheese on a cheese steak. After much back and forth cursing I gave the sandwich to a kid that was behind me and left. Should have figured those uneducated, idiot rubes in Philadelphia would willingly choose processed fake cheese over the real deal. 

Pat's or Geno's?

23 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Lockhart BBQ. Can't tell if they've gotten shitty or the Texas BBQ game has been raised so far by the Franklin revolution that what we used to think was awesome is now shitty.  

That’s a good food I loved past tense.  It always sucks now.

I’ll probably say sushi.  It’s really only good when it’s really, really good.  

Edited by USCATX

6 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

So...you never ate it, but decided it sucks???

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Geno's. Then walked across to Pat's and saw the same thing so went and ate something else. 

Funny how on the Fresh Prince they never mentioned cheese whiz. 

That’s like going to Texas and eating at Dickey’s. The only upside is going to the Cannoli King afterwards. (Add cannolis to this list)

I had Jim’s Steaks last weekend in Philly and it was good. There is a place called Shorty’s in the FiDi, a short walk from my office, that is very good. Most of the time the meat is bland and dry. Tony Luke’s fits that bill. The sandwich sounds good on paper but it’s rare that I’m impressed with the dripping mess.

And sharp provolone and American are acceptable cheeses to use for a proper cheesesteak. 

That’s like going to Texas and eating at Dickey’s. The only upside is going to the Cannoli King afterwards. (Add cannolis to this list)
I had Jim’s Steaks last weekend in Philly and it was good. There is a place called Shorty’s in the FiDi, a short walk from my office, that is very good. Most of the time the meat is bland and dry. Tony Luke’s fits that bill. The sandwich sounds good on paper but it’s rare that I’m impressed with the dripping mess.
And sharp provolone and American are acceptable cheeses to use for a proper cheesesteak. 

Not to mention he’s a fucking idiot because even at both those places you can order American or provolone as part of the process.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Regardless of quality, cheez whiz is what goes on a Philly steak.  Mozzarella or provolone may be better, but it ain't a Philly steak.

Depends on what part of Philly I think.

Delaware Subs still has the best Philly I ever had.

Unfortunately there is only one location left and it is on Mesa.

A close 2nd is Sacoone's Pizza on 620. They are Jersey style sandwiches and are delicious.

Neither of these offer fake cheez whiz.

10 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

None of this happened. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Disagree. Even really bad pizza is usually okay. But bad barbecue is disgusting and infuriating. Furthermore, the best barbecue is WAY WAY WAY better than the best pizza. So the gap is wider.

Well sorry amigo, because bad pizza sucks ass thru a straw and is not OK.  And nope, the best BBQ is not way better than the best pizza.  BBQ has basically one main flavor, pizza can combine several at once, for a much more complex flavor experience, and I love BBQ.  Of course its all personal choice, and your results may vary.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

49 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well sorry amigo, because bad pizza sucks ass thru a straw and is not OK.  And nope, the best BBQ is not way better than the best pizza.  BBQ has basically one main flavor, pizza can combine several at once, for a much more complex flavor experience, and I love BBQ.  Of course its all personal choice, and your results may vary.

where do you live? because you sound like a yankee

• Like 2

I’ll take great BBQ and great TexMex over the best pizza.

I love pizza, and I agree with not eating shitty pizza, but the good stuff is not better than great Cue or a plate of proper enchimiladas.

Edited by Iceman

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Not to mention he’s a fucking idiot because even at both those places you can order American or provolone as part of the process.

Either they didn't have that option at the time I went or the guy got pissed and didn't let me know after I said "what the fuck is this?" I didn't know they did that so I was surprised. 

On 8/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, Wiler77 said:

Steak.  Like a steakhouse steak.

It's either under seasoned and/or overcooked.  I've stopped ordering steaks at steakhouses, and as a result very rarely eat one anymore.

I’m going to have to second this as the most disappointing and when you factor in the cost to expectation ratio, it’s probably not even close.  You fuck up a fast food order and I’m pissed but oh well, it was like a $5 fuckup.  You fuck up a $50 steak and I’m really let down.

I’d say about ⅓ of the steaks from a steakhouse are great and ⅔ are somewhere between average to disappointing.  Hell, I think I’ve probably sent back about ⅓ of them because they’re cooked wrong or a bad cut.  Even at some of the best places, I’d say they get it wrong about 1 out of 4 times.

Sadly, unlike @Wiler77, it hasn’t made me stop.  My dumb ass just keeps doubling down hoping for the best.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 6:03 AM, Spankytoes said:

Is it?  I don't see a Pat's in every fucking strip mall in the country.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:56 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Bloody Marys. Salt on the rim is the first sign it’s gonna let you down. 

This may be better for the unpopular opinion's thread, but I absolutely cannot stand a fancy Bloody Mary.  I just want Vodka, a cheap to mediocre store bought mixer and a traditional garnish of celery (even though I'd prefer a lime).  Salt on the rim is a red flag for me, too.  More red flags are pickles, olives, and basically any shit visibly floating in the glass that isn't ice.

It's gotten to the point where the only place I'm able to enjoy a Bloody Mary's is at my house or on an airplane.

Edited by dcbc

On 8/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, Wiler77 said:

Steak.  Like a steakhouse steak.

It's either under seasoned and/or overcooked.  I've stopped ordering steaks at steakhouses, and as a result very rarely eat one anymore.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I’m going to have to second this as the most disappointing and when you factor in the cost to expectation ratio, it’s probably not even close.  You fuck up a fast food order and I’m pissed but oh well, it was like a $5 fuckup.  You fuck up a $50 steak and I’m really let down.

I’d say about ⅓ of the steaks from a steakhouse are great and ⅔ are somewhere between average to disappointing.  Hell, I think I’ve probably sent back about ⅓ of them because they’re cooked wrong or a bad cut.  Even at some of the best places, I’d say they get it wrong about 1 out of 4 times.

Sadly, unlike @Wiler77, it hasn’t made me stop.  My dumb ass just keeps doubling down hoping for the best.

Yep; all of both of these.  Thanks to the sage advice of The Shag The Surl and the "I Pledge to Post More Pictures of This Steak" thread, my steak game has gotten to the point where I'm producing much better results for substantially cheaper than most steakhouses.  I don't order it anymore either.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

This may be better for the unpopular opinion's thread, but I absolutely cannot stand a fancy Bloody Mary.  I just want Vodka, a cheap to mediocre store bought mixer and a traditional garnish of celery (even though I'd prefer a lime).  Salt on the rim is a red flag for me, too.  More red flags are pickles, olives, and basically any shit visibly floating in the glass that isn't ice.

A lot of places disguise a bad Bloody Mary with excess garnish, but lack of garnish is an equally bad sign.  There's an appropriate amount, and is limited to the following items:  pickled vegetables, olives, cheese, cured meat.  Beyond that, and you're out of line.

My favorite Bloody Mary will contain the following:

-Vodka

-Campbell's or Sacramento tomato juice

-Worcestershire sauce

-A1

-Tabasco

-Horseradish

-Pickle juice

-Cavender's

-Black pepper

-Celery salt

Garnish with an olive, pickle, and cheese hunk on a stick suspended atop the drink.  Chase with an 8 oz pour of a simple, clean, but not shitty beer.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A lot of places disguise a bad Bloody Mary with excess garnish, but lack of garnish is an equally bad sign.  There's an appropriate amount, and is limited to the following items:  pickled vegetables, olives, cheese, cured meat.  Beyond that, and you're out of line.

My favorite Bloody Mary will contain the following:

-Vodka

-Campbell's or Sacramento tomato juice

-Worcestershire sauce

-A1

-Tabasco

-Horseradish

-Pickle juice

-Cavender's

-Black pepper

-Celery salt

Garnish with an olive, pickle, and cheese hunk on a stick suspended atop the drink.  Chase with an 8 oz pour of a simple, clean, but not shitty beer.

It's entirely possible that I'm a most uncultured plebe when it comes to the topic, but I've been to some nice places, which, I'm told, do it right, and I've always been disappointed to the point of not wanting to finish it.  What you posted may be the best Bloody Mary ever, but I've been burned so many times, I probably wouldn't order it, except for the "not shitty beer." 

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

virginia or maryland or some other place with shit barbecue.  and he probably puts mayonnaise on it because he loves that shit. 

You can bite me Sparky. I detest mayonnaise unless there's a shitload of horseradish mixed in.  

PRO TIP: Good BBQ needs no additional sauce, you're welcome.

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

It's entirely possible that I'm a most uncultured plebe when it comes to the topic, but I've been to some nice places, which, I'm told, do it right, and I've always been disappointed to the point of not wanting to finish it.  What you posted may be the best Bloody Mary ever, but I've been burned so many times, I probably wouldn't order it, except for the "not shitty beer." 

Bloody Marys are borderline religion in this part of the world, but you're right in that places that tend to try to fancy it up often fuck it up and over complicate things.  What I'm posting is something you would find in a Midwestern dive bar where people show up at 10AM on Sunday and call it "going to church".  

• Like 1