2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

On 11/7/2018 at 8:14 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I used to be a fan of the Electoral College but after seeing how easily it can be manipulated by foreign actors and subversive forces, I’d say it’s time to burn that motherfucker to the ground.  Plus I’m sick of having my vote not count because my state aligns with the other party.

Yep, the biggest argument for abolishing the electoral college is not because it makes a modest win in the popular vote irrelevant.  Its because influencing tens of thousands of voters in a few counties can swing the presidential election of a nation of 325 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Anyone call an openly bisexual, atheist female Democrat replacing Jeff Flake in Arizona? 

Mind. Blown. 

And she was campaigning against a fighter pilot who was bigly endorsed by Trump and Sheriff Joe.  Trump held multiple rallies for her opponent.  

The Trump touch ain’t as powerful as it used to be.  

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’d both be right.

I hope she's got major pussy-breath when being sworn in, and blows it all over Pence. 

On second thought, he wouldn't recognize the scent anyway.  No way he's gone downtown on "Mother", or anybody else for that matter. 

Well, maybe an occasional guy behind the Chevron station, but that's beside the point. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 11/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Haha that's a good one. Electoral college and equal representation of the Senate are bedrock foundation of our government. Both keep this country united and prevent resentment in smaller states that they are being ruled by Californians and New Yorkers.

Your last sentence is a laugher.  The country is not at all united.  California and New York resent being ruled by Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas and Nebraska.

Its silly to think that any institution, no matter how well thought out it may be, can only in its original form best serve its purpose in perpetuity.  No system perpetuates without the allowance for evolution.

• Like 3

Turd Blossom speaks, the question remains if anyone on team R is listening. 

We’ve got to be worried about what’s happening in the suburbs. We get wiped out in the Dallas suburbs, Houston suburbs, Chicago suburbs, Denver suburbs -- you know there’s a pattern -- Detroit suburbs, Minneapolis suburbs, Orange County, California, suburbs. When we start to lose in the suburbs, it says something to us. We can’t replace all of those people by simply picking up (Minnesota’s First Congressional District) -- farm country and the Iron range of Minnesota -- because, frankly, there’s more growth in suburban areas than there is in rural areas.”

from Cillizza 

edit: guess what, you can't gerrymander out women. Oh and it might help if you don't spend four hours in Tarrant county trying to run off a surgeon that happens to be Muslim. Never got to a vote because neither side was going to win.

Edited by cactusflinthead

5 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

I know the Dems will fuck it up and play nice and not go after trump, they usually pussy out of those types of things 

This might normally happen, but there are way too many pissed off, foaming at the mouth progressives who will be camping outside their offices from now until Election Day 2020.

And that Sinema win just blows my mind. That plus the secretary of state race = purple state

22 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

'What can we do to distract voters' attention from the fact that he's an idiot?'

And yet it only reinforces that perception. I often wonder who is responsible for a shoot. Is it the artist behind the camera (or leave out the art and make them a hired hand) or is it the subject that chose this among the dozens to present it as a representation of their inner person?

This is as bad or worse than any tree pose resume shot. This one was applying for a position of leadership in our nation. 

Who exactly is this supposed to appeal to?

18 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The Fox News phenomenon is fascinating.  It makes you wonder if the GOP is a media run political party instead of a political party that runs the media. 

Fox News tells their viewers what to care about without being questioned or challenged. Whether it’s Hillary’s emails, confederate statues, caravans, NFL flag bullshit, “dangerous” antifa/blm, Benghazi, Ebola, or Obama’s tan suit; these are the REAL ISSUES that need to be addressed for Fox News viewers. 

Then the GOP political leaders push these issues to pander to the Fox News voters.

Your blinder like logic intrigues me.

13 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Having a hard time believing Rs only got 50% of the 65+ vote.

Before, I would have agreed with you, but I know a ton of olds who voted D this election. Including one die hard Reaganite who I may or may not be related to.

19 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Is there really not a Beto equivalent on the right? Surely there's a modern, cool, level-headed conservative out there that can lead the Republican party back to sanity?

I think Dan Crenshaw May be headed that way.  I like his appearance on SNL and his life story is pretty amazing.  I will say that in reading his website when looking at his position on issues it pretty typical conservative.  My issue was his repeated use of dog whistles when trying to demonize the left. 

8 hours ago, Mole said:

Can't find a source beyond "Woke Folks" Facebook, but it looks like there has been an extension for certification in Georgia. They have until Friday.

Same judge that basically said our voting system was insecure and Kemp failed to maintain the integrity of it but it was "too close" to the midterms to mandate paper ballots be used in place of the electronic machines. I'm sure Kemp lovers her, and his room-temperature IQ supporters think this is a conspiracy since she's ruling again.

I don't think Abrams still has the votes to force this to a runoff, but FUCK EVERYONE who is whining that she's dragging this out or not playing fair. This is for the whole country to see how poorly run our election process is for non-whites in the South. This also may help Carloyn Bourdeaux (GA-07 district, thought it was not as likely as GA-06 to flip) come very close to winning which would be insane to see two of the gerrymandered suburban districts in Atlanta flip, she is currently behind by only 901 votes and there were a lot of provisionals in Gwinnett county cast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

I think Dan Crenshaw May be headed that way.  I like his appearance on SNL and his life story is pretty amazing.  I will say that in reading his website when looking at his position on issues it pretty typical conservative.  My issue was his repeated use of dog whistles when trying to demonize the left. 

Yeah he's a huge piece of crap actually.  Dog whistles, complaining about "the left" and "PC SJWs" on his website/platform.

https://www.gq.com/story/mississippi-senate-race-runoff

Espy also boasts the type of moderate bona fides that one needs to be a Democrat in Mississippi: He endorsed Republican governor Haley Barbour in 2007, and made sure to profess his admiration and respect for Cochran when he announced his Senate bid. As a congressman, the National Rifle Associate bestowed on him its "Silver Rifle" award in 1988. In other words, if anyone can cobble together a winning coalition of Democrats and right-of-center voters who aren't so sure about Hyde-Smith, Trump, or both, it's going to be someone like Mike Espy. Doug Jones won in Alabama on the strength of African-American turnout, and Espy has hired Jones' special election-winning team in the hopes of pulling off another upset.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder who the smaller counties were so relatively high on the Dem vote in the early 2000s but then dropped off.   Was it older Texans that just grew up Dems and then died off.  Or did Obama just burn the white, rural voters.

When was Motor voter passed as that greatly increased the number of registered voters?

6 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

So.... he's not anything like what was described.  Gotcha.  Jeff Flake fancies himself as the alternative and will turn up if/when Trump is retired as the counter option to Trumpism, or at least that's his reported plan.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So.... he's not anything like what was described.  Gotcha.  Jeff Flake fancies himself as the alternative and will turn up if/when Trump is retired as the counter option to Trumpism, or at least that's his reported plan.

BY GOD - that's Ben Sasse's music!

Edited by Js1

What Crenshaw said:

Republican Rep.-elect Dan Crenshaw said Monday that he had appeared on "Saturday Night Live" on Saturday in order to "start on a path ... out of that conflict that we're always seeing" in political discourse.

Let's just mosey on over to the issues section of his website....

• "We cannot allow the Leftists to set the terms of the gun rights debate in this country."
• "Our country is frighteningly close to violating our Constitution by allowing the left to shout down and shame anyone who disagrees with them. This is happening regularly on college campuses all over the country. From Berkeley to Boston, leftist agitators are trying to “enforce” political correctness by shutting down speeches that they disagree with. Even some liberal commentators are finding this problematic and have called them out for their anti-American ways."
• "We need to encourage and inspire young conservatives to stand up to this leftist bullying."

Truly...TRULY...no man could be more of a uniter than Dan Crenshaw.

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

What Crenshaw said:

Let's just mosey on over to the issues section of his website....

Truly...TRULY...no man could be more of a uniter than Dan Crenshaw.

He's a fucking tool. I suppose he never read the quote from LBJ about comedic criticism. Keep talking one-eyed Dan. It appears that you might be good fodder for late night comedy. If you are too thin-skinned for any jokes pointed at your direction might consider a new job. 

Oh you just started? Well, hang on. That was only the warm up act.