2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah but what if after the touchdown play the refs said that in fact the other team actually ran the touchdown play?

Thats what the Florida election is like. 

To be fair Florida elections mirror exactly what's going on with everything else in that fucked up state.  It's actually kind of refreshing to be able to count on something so consistently.  If it's in FL, you can rest assured, it will absolutely be fucked up. 

• Like 1

I saw it too.

Do not put on the hat they give you in Texas if you don't wear one.

And don't use sports analogies if you aren't in to sports.

It could have been said by some of our wives or girlfriends. 

Cruz was there for the taking. 

Beto isn't the kind to attack. It cost him in this fight. 

Sigh. That's as bad or worse than the sippy bottle. And to think Rick Wilson hitched his wagon to this one. 

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

3. Point. Kick.

About 22% of Americans are non-Hispanic white Christian males.  Now imagine if your party didn’t shit all over the other 78% of Americans, and that you represented their interests more or less equally using the combination of morality, integrity and intelligence that guided men like Lincoln, Roosevelt and Eisenhower.  You wouldn’t need a 3 point kick in the final seconds to win, and no judge could steal your landslide victory away from you.

Well, that’s how the GOP has squandered their massive consolidation of power in 2018.

https://www.gq.com/story/mississippi-senate-race-runoff
Espy also boasts the type of moderate bona fides that one needs to be a Democrat in Mississippi: He endorsed Republican governor Haley Barbour in 2007, and made sure to profess his admiration and respect for Cochran when he announced his Senate bid. As a congressman, the National Rifle Associate bestowed on him its "Silver Rifle" award in 1988. In other words, if anyone can cobble together a winning coalition of Democrats and right-of-center voters who aren't so sure about Hyde-Smith, Trump, or both, it's going to be someone like Mike Espy. Doug Jones won in Alabama on the strength of African-American turnout, and Espy has hired Jones' special election-winning team in the hopes of pulling off another upset.

Worth mentioning that they NRA wasn’t an organ of the GOP quite yet in 1988.

I read that of the 25 GOP held districts with the highest percentage of people with 4 year degrees Republicans lost 15 or 16 depending on Mimi Walters. Texas had 8 of the 25 and now 6 of the remaining 9. They are TX-3, 21, 24, 22, 26, and 2.

These Texas districts  are also among the fastest trending toward Democrats since 2012 and a few could flip in 2020.

3 hours ago, RayDog said:

I read that of the 25 GOP held districts with the highest percentage of people with 4 year degrees Republicans lost 15 or 16 depending on Mimi Walters. Texas had 8 of the 25 and now 6 of the remaining 9. They are TX-3, 21, 24, 22, 26, and 2.

These Texas districts  are also among the fastest trending toward Democrats since 2012 and a few could flip in 2020.

My body is ready

So any rumblings about "voter fraud" being a big issue for Texas Republicans in the next State legislature? I would think they see what everyone else sees in the numbers and are going to be desperate to stave off any chance, however big or small it may be, of Democrat control after 2020 when new maps are drawn.

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So any rumblings about "voter fraud" being a big issue for Texas Republicans in the next State legislature? I would think they see what everyone else sees in the numbers and are going to be desperate to stave off any chance, however big or small it may be, of Democrat control after 2020 when new maps are drawn.

I'd be downright shocked if they didn't make that their excuse If any super high profile race is as close as Georgia or Florida's.

22 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Abbott tweeted about voter fraud right before the election.

And after.  Never mind the Texas GOP has controlled every level of government in the state for 20 years and has made it virtually impossible to vote without a photo ID that is literally impossible for an illegal to get.  

3 hours ago, retread said:

We're gonna need more Diet Coke and ice cream

Like another poster said, there is not one single demographic trend that favors the Republican party.  It's the worst strategy in all of consumer branding.  They're doubling down on the fastest shrinking groups and making no effort to go after the growing groups.

^ That's one of the reasons why I think that the GOP in DC is hopelessly compromised by past actions (financial, extramarital, etc.). If that's true, then the question is are there enough Ds in DC to truly drain the swamp.

To me, it's unlikely that an entire caucus would bend the knee to DOTUS just because they think the Trumpkins will vote them out. I could be wrong...

38 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Like another poster said, there is not one single demographic trend that favors the Republican party.  It's the worst strategy in all of consumer branding.  They're doubling down on the fastest shrinking groups and making no effort to go after the growing groups.

History will look at Trump's victory as a Pyrrhic victory for the Republican party.

• Like 3

Honestly, Marco just lost 50,000 votes in the panhandle.  Can you imagine some redneck Florida state fan reading that tweet and realizing Marco is a complete fraud.  A 3 point kick?   Are you a real human?
I can't imagine some redneck panhandle FSU fan reading anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

History will look at Trump's victory as a Pyrrhic victory for the Republican party.

Their battle of the bulge.

<no-3pt-kick>They are, of course, the fucking nazis in this analogy</no-3pt-kick>

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2018 at 11:33 PM, JimmyJames said:

Yeah but what if after the touchdown play the refs said that in fact the other team actually ran the touchdown play?

Thats what the Florida election is like. 

What if one coach was also the ref and he kept calling ineligible player down field penalties? And he kept refusing to spot the ball and calling delay of game penalties?

Thats what the Georgia election is like.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And after.  Never mind the Texas GOP has controlled every level of government in the state for 20 years and has made it virtually impossible to vote without a photo ID that is literally impossible for an illegal to get.  

I find it amusing when an Abbott or Scott complain about voter fraud which, if true, means they and their party are failing at their jobs.  Reminds when I listen to a clueless manager complain about the poor performance of their employees.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s a nice way of mentioning diabetes. 

Our country was lost when a man could no longer eat his eggs, chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy without having to read about the blacks, browns and breasted getting all uppity in the morning paper.

NYT saying Trump was clearly a downward force here in Texas, and as long as he's president, there will be blue movement here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/opinion/texas-trump-blue-red-beto.html

Even more telling for 2020, voters showed a clear preference for more moderate Republicans running statewide than for red meat, Trump-style Republicans.

Mark Jones, a political scientist at Rice, described this development in an email:

Donald Trump made the most polarizing and dogmatic conservatives in Texas much more vulnerable, with a significant number of regular Republican voters strongly associating these candidates with Trump, and as a result either voting for their Democratic rival, not voting in that race, or casting a protest vote for the Libertarian.

Less polarizing and less dogmatic conservative Republicans — Governor Greg Abbott, Glenn Hegar, the comptroller and George P. Bush, the land commissioner — won by margins (on average, 11.9 percent), that, according to Jones, “double or triple that of the more polarizing and dogmatic conservative Republicans.” Those farther to the extreme right — the lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick, the attorney general, Ken Paxton and Sid Miller, the agricultural commissioner, won by an average of 4.9 percent.

Jones has strong views on the Trump effect in Texas: “Donald Trump is without a question a major liability for Texas Republicans.”

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

In their final forecast before election day, 538 had the projected seat changes at D+36 in the House and R+2 in the Senate.

Right now they are D+39 and R+2. So much silliness on election night.

I thought their final forecast was D+38 and R+2, per Nate's screenshot.

Right in line.  BuT tHeY sAiD hIlL wOuLd wIn 125%

On 11/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

they're doubling down on trying to create riots.

*Insert bad Twitter jokes such as...

"She'll be Old Kim by the time the votes are done counting.

Young Kim will have to turn to rap after she loses this race.

She could always move to NYC and run as Young Kimpur

She can just walk into Andy Kim's (NJ) office and claim it

Edited by Js1