Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The “has a kid” excuse has always been bullshit in recruiting. The Central Michigan safety was going to go home somewhere to be near his kid until he signed and transferred to Ole Miss, over 1500 miles from home. Wilson flipped to UH because they wanted him a hell of a lot more than Texas did.

Whatever folks want to think, Texas canceled its in-home with Hale. Bama drove the price up and Texas didn’t feel like he was worth it. I guess we’re going to find out here shortly if that was foolish.

Anyone that really believes Texas will land Lane over USC hasn’t been paying attention. 

Would be shocked if that Happened. We're needed fodder to build drama but who doesn't want to play in that USC offense and live in LA?

Yeah, all this "just grab a WR from the portal! They're everywhere" take is wild to me. Lose a HS recruit? Portal! Lose your #1 WR to the portal? Replace him with a guy just as good! Wonder why we even recruit WRs at all until December, all you have to do is hit the portal. And assuming Neyor was going to be good is odd - I obviously think he would have been this season, but acting like we killed it in WR portal recruiting last year is jumping the gun. Plus there's a good chance he's still finishing up his recovery and getting used to explosiveness again during fall camp

Expecting us to build our WR room with 90% transfers is a really good way to fuck things up. The sky isn't falling or anything (don't really care if Spencer flips), but we really do need to keep Niblett. It's two different WR coaches now that our WR recruiting has been questionable at times - although Marion >>>>>>>>>>>>> Coleman obviously 

Getting Moore will help a lot and if we keep Niblett all this will sound satya-ish, but oh well

Edited by Surlian
-
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wish we could have got Terrence Green on the DL for this class.

https://247sports.com/player/terrance-green-46125529/

Gerry mentioned that a flip was unlikely about 1-2 weeks ago.

Outside of portal possibilities, seems like it is Roderick Pierce or bust.

Edited by UDontKnow

18 minutes ago, Surlian said:

Yeah, all this "just grab a WR from the portal! They're everywhere" take is wild to me. Lose a HS recruit? Portal! Lose your #1 WR to the portal? Replace him with a guy just as good! Wonder why we even recruit WRs at all until December, all you have to do is hit the portal. And assuming Neyor was going to be good is odd - I obviously think he would have been this season, but acting like we killed it in WR portal recruiting last year is jumping the gun. Plus there's a good chance he's still finishing up his recovery and getting used to explosiveness again during fall camp

Expecting us to build our WR room with 90% transfers is a really good way to fuck things up. The sky isn't falling or anything (don't really care if Spencer flips), but we really do need to keep Niblett. It's two different WR coaches now that our WR recruiting has been questionable at times - although Marion >>>>>>>>>>>>> Coleman obviously 

Getting Moore will help a lot and if we keep Niblett all this will sound satya-ish, but oh well

Who the fuck said 90% transfer?  Take 2 WR every year. That’s 8 guys you recruited to campus. Add 1 or 2 In the portal every year as needed. That’s 8-10 WR in your room every year based upon how many guys you process out. Basically that’s a perfectly healthy number. If you are taking 4 freshmen every year you are doing a shitty job of ID or Development as well as running off a ton of guys every year. Which, I guess is fine, but I’d just as soon only take really legit dudes and fill in as needed in the portal, when you are talking about literally the easiest position to fill (maybe outside of QB) if you are a blue blood program. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

So you're saying Gerry Hamilton's reports on UT's recruitment of Ja'Kobi Lane are off?

This kind of weak shit is always so fucking tedious. I don’t subscribe to IT. I have no idea what Gerry is saying on there. I assume he’s, you know, doing his job and telling readers who Texas is after and generally being positive about it. If you think that means Gerry is bullish about Lane coming to Texas, how about you post the fucking quote where he says so. 

There’s a difference between a writer covering a subject and a poster on a different board telling the other posters that they don’t believe for a second that Texas is going to beat USC for a WR recruit that USC covets. Both concepts can be true at the same time without there being some idiotic notion of a source off. 

• Hook 'Em 3

This is what Gerry wrote this morning about Lane.  I don’t keep up with all the threads so there could be something since then. 

The 6-foot-5 Lane is a top priority for the Longhorns. Members of the Texas staff were in the Phoenix area Wednesday to see Lane. Texas continues to have some quiet confidence in this recruitment. Can Texas get over the finish line for the flip? We aren’t predicting that. Arizona State head coach Kenny Dillingham is helping muddy the waters too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry with another update 

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns staff fully understands that there will be twists and turns all the way up to signing day December 21. 

Some of those twists and turns are created by the Texas staff working for flips. While some are created by programs continuing to try and flip Texas commitments. 

Inside Texas provides the latest Sunday afternoon intel on football and basketball recruiting. 

Ryan Niblett will meet with Sarkisian

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Brennan Marionare scheduled to make an in-home visit with On3 Consensus 4-star Ryan NiblettWednesday per a source close to the recruitment. The expectation is that Niblett will be in Austin this weekend with the majority of Texas commitments, and a few remaining targets. The visit to Houston by Niblett wasn’t known by the Texas staff prior to this weekend. The Longhorns are not planning to walk away from one of the nations fastest prospects. 

The latest on DeAndre Moore Jr. and Ja’Kobi Lane

Before Brennan Marion meets with Niblett, the wide receivers coach will be back out in Southern California and Arizona to begin the week. Texas will once again meet with On3 Consensus 4-star and Louisville verbal DeAndre Moore Jr. and USC verbal Ja’Kobi Lane. There continues to be confidence on the Texas side in both recruitments. Moore Jr. would be the higher percentage for a flip, but both are certainly in play. Moore Jr. remains a possibility to make a final decision this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who the fuck said 90% transfer?  Take 2 WR every year. That’s 8 guys you recruited to campus. Add 1 or 2 In the portal every year as needed. That’s 8-10 WR in your room every year based upon how many guys you process out. Basically that’s a perfectly healthy number. If you are taking 4 freshmen every year you are doing a shitty job of ID or Development as well as running off a ton of guys every year. Which, I guess is fine, but I’d just as soon only take really legit dudes and fill in as needed in the portal, when you are talking about literally the easiest position to fill (maybe outside of QB) if you are a blue blood program. 

I mean I'm not calling for 5+, but a good 3 would be nice, which if we keep Niblett + grab Moore we'll be in great position for 

And the 90% is just the impression I get from reading a lot of this (not just you of course, my b for it coming across that way) - any time anything comes up w/ WR recruiting and/or keeping Worthy there's tons of people saying "NBD just grab from the portal," and when that seems to be said about every WR related thing it starts to feel like 90% lol 

I have no doubts about they're being good WRs in the portal, my concern is about great ones. Neyor, Arizona WR (can't remember the name rn), etc. all had good seasons (or were expected to), but the only really great WR I remember is Addison. 

I'm in agreement about only taking dudes - but Niblett is one of them. My main point is I don't like counting on the portal to keep a position group good/great, which if we pull in 2 WRs, only one of who is elite imo, is what we'll be doing it feels like 

Once again tho we're gonna keep Niblett and add Moore and I'll be rightfully quoted as being a pussy lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

That Burrell - Coug High news is just some weird shit. I hope he’s just trying to get paid for an official visit. The Cougars surrendered 77 points to SMU this season. Being scared of Ant Hill and picking Baylor makes a little sense. Play for Aranda, get developed, play early. The Cougs are a disaster, especially on defense. 

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That Burrell - Coug High news is just some weird shit. I hope he’s just trying to get paid for an official visit. The Cougars surrendered 77 points to SMU this season. Being scared of Ant Hill and picking Baylor makes a little sense. Play for Aranda, get developed, play early. The Cougs are a disaster, especially on defense. 

So what can be deduced from this logic?   Hint:  it’s not about football

I admire Coug High’s strategy here. They wisely understand their football program/home game environment sucks, so they ride the coattails of the basketball team and host their big recruiting weekend on December 10th. 

Bonus : By targeting Texas commits, it whips their butthurt little brother donor base into a frenzy when it’s time to pass the hat. 

21 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Good lord....Kids take visits.  It's fun to bd recruited and the perks of official visits are nice.   I will be shocked if any of those 3 flip to Cougar high.

None of those 3 dudes are getting drafted so they are probably considering six-figure NIL deals from Tillman.

Roach

Spoiler

Houston Cougars have popped up at the end of the last two cycles to be a thorn in the side of the Longhorns. Last year, they won over Matthew Golden while the Longhorns battled TCU for him. This fall, the Cougars flipped Texas wide receiver commit Jonah Wilson and this weekend they hosted Texas commits Ryan Niblett, S’Maje Burrell and Dylan Spencer. 

The Cougars had a big season last year but struggled this season. While we’ve heard some whispers behind the scenes that Dana Holgorsen’s seat isn’t exactly secure, the Houston staff has been able to do a good job connecting with prospects in the area. They’ve also got a good NIL pitch for a G5 team ready to make the transition to the power five level.

(Photo: Texas Football)

After talking to sources this weekend, I think there is a lot of worry about potentially losing Niblett. Texas is slated to go in-home with him on Wednesday, but we’ve heard from sources in Austin and sources close to Niblett who feel a lot of uncertainty about what he will do. Losing Niblett would hurt the class as he’s an elite speed threat who can score from anywhere on the field. The Longhorns wanted to add vertical speed at the position. We’ll be monitoring Niblett over the next 72 hours and will update if there are any changes. We have confirmed that the Longhorns spoke with Niblett’s camp following the trip and seem to feel solid with where things are, but this one is worth monitoring closely in our opinion. One thing to keep in mind is that the Longhorns have done a great job with the relationship between the staff and Niblett’s mother and grandmother. I think the family preference will stay on Texas.

A little over a month ago, we reported there were some concerns that Houston C.E. King defensive lineman Dylan Spencer might be close to decommitting. We had some pretty solid intel at the time and believe there was something in the works. The Texas staff was able to calm it down, but Spencer’s trip to Houston for the weekend raised concerns once again.

After talking with sources near Spencer, there’s less concern with him than Niblett. That said, it would be foolish to believe to dismiss any concerns out of hand. When a player starts thinking about decommitting, it weakens the structure of the current commitment and moments like this continue to chip away at it. While the source we spoke to near Spencer didn’t think there was much reason for concern, another source I spoke with felt that his commitment was very much up in the air. The Longhorns have a week of in-home visits left before the dead period kicks in next Sunday. 

Burrell communicated his visit to the Texas staff prior to taking it and told the staff he just wanted to go on a trip. Out of the three on this trip, I think he’s the most solid given his ties to Chris Gilbert and his status as a class leader early on. Texas will be in town for an in-home visit with Burrell this week.

UPDATING THE OUTLOOK AT WIDE RECEIVER

(Photo: 247Sports)

While the Longhorns try to hold on to Niblett, they’ve got other irons in the fire at the receiver position. Four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco wide receiver Deandre Moore is the top priority for the Longhorns. For the last two months, this felt like a race that will come down to Texas and Georgia despite his commitment to Louisville. 

In the time since he took his official visits, there’s been a lot of confidence on the Texas side about the possibility of landing Moore. While I’m not ready to put Georgia away in this race, the noise around Texas is reaching a fever pitch. The next week will be huge as the Longhorns work to secure a commitment from signature from Moore when the time comes. 

Texas also remains in pursuit of Mesa (AZ) Red Mountain wide receiver Ja'Kobi Lane. While there is some confidence Texas can flip the USC commit, the tone is significantly different from what sources feel about Moore. With Lane, it’s a much more measured approach of cautious optimism. I think the Longhorns have been able to make an appealing pitch to Lane, but the success of USC along with the distance from Arizona to Los Angeles still makes this a very tough flip in my opinion.

There has been a receiver committed to another school that’s been reaching out to Texas, but I don’t expect anything to happen there as of now. If anything progresses, we’ll talk more about the name and the chances.

Roach with a rare, potentially important piece of information, if it’s accurate. If part of Niblett’s interest in Houston is the proximity to home/family, Texas having established a strong relationship and remaining the favorite with mom/grandma is a major mitigant.

Proximity to home when talking about Austin vs Houston is laughable. There is no way that is a legitimate reason. It’s a 2-2:30 hour drive depending on where you’re coming from. If you ever need to go back home you can go there and back same day no problem. 

Edited by theBigHen

2 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Proximity to home when talking about Austin vs Houston is laughable. There is no way that is a legitimate reason. It’s a 2-2:30 hour drive depending on where you’re coming from. If you ever need to go back home you can go there and back same day no problem. 

2 and a half hours?

3 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

I'm pretty sure his mom put a gofundme together so they could visit texas for a game. Could be extremely poor but that shouldn't be an issue if we are doing what we need to as a program.

23 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Tillman is apparently promising recruits unlimited free meals at Rainforest Cafe. I don’t see how we can compete with that. 

Really weird how it hasn't been discussed that the Rainforest Cafe in Galveston has a boat ride which is part of the pitch