Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

I see a lot of descriptions of our linebacker commits refer to them as “off-ball” linebackers.  

As a casual fan who does not want to venture to the football board and has been afraid to ask:  what does this mean and what is the difference with an “on-ball” linebacker? 

Off ball is the crap we had Joseph Ossai doing his first two seasons. On ball/edge/EDGE is what he was doing in year 3.

9 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

I see a lot of descriptions of our linebacker commits refer to them as “off-ball” linebackers.  

As a casual fan who does not want to venture to the football board and has been afraid to ask:  what does this mean and what is the difference with an “on-ball” linebacker? 

Off-ball LB is just another name for a regular non-EDGE LB. On-ball LB is not a term that is used, what you mean is an EDGE OLB.

During this season UT’s starting off-ball LBs we’re Jaylon Ford, Overshown, & Tucker-Dorsey. UT’s starting EDGE OLBs were Ogufho & I guess Barryn Sorrell.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Saban has been doing that pretty much every year; Sark almost beat him this year.

When you bring in top classes EVERY year, and have the best (ranked) players, you don’t necessarily have to be the best coach…my players will beat yours…..and it has worked almost every time.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

When you bring in top classes EVERY year, and have the best (ranked) players, you don’t necessarily have to be the best coach…my players will beat yours…..and it has worked almost every time.

Yes. 

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet” covers it pretty well. 

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Off-ball LB is just another name for a regular non-EDGE LB. On-ball LB is not a term that is used, what you mean is an EDGE OLB.

During this season UT’s starting off-ball LBs we’re Jaylon Ford, Overshown, & Tucker-Dorsey. UT’s starting EDGE OLBs were Ogufho & I guess Barryn Sorrell.

hey-there-serious-face.gif.277ecf399bb7bf12f195ea651a8e1d0e.gif

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The gap between 247 #1 Bama and #3 Texas is stark.

They have 27 non/PK signees. We have 23.

Recruits with <0.90 247 rating
Bama: 1 (of 27)
Texas: 9 (of 23)

Recruits in their state's Top 10
Bama: 24 (of 27)
Texas: 11 (of 23)

Avg Recruit score
#1 Bama 94.9
#3 Texas 92.5 (-2.4)
#17 FSU 90.1 (-2.4)

Insanity.

Also, the A&M 2022 class (BEST CLASS EVER!!) average recruit score? 94.9.

There's a greater than zero chance that Bama's players are ranked as highly as they are, solely because they were offered by, and committed to Alabama. 

I miss the days of weakside LB, middle LB, and strong side LB

It seems more descriptive to me but I guess offensive formations don’t line up as strong/weak side these days. I like the idea of describing the function, positionless football and all that, but that would mean an edge and an end are basically the same thing. Maybe they are distinguished by whether they put a hand on the ground which seems trivial, because whether the hand is in the ground or not the goals are the same between an edge and an end, I think.

4 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It seems more descriptive to me but I guess offensive formations don’t line up as strong/weak side these days. I like the idea of describing the function, positionless football and all that, but that would mean an edge and an end are basically the same thing. Maybe they are distinguished by whether they put a hand on the ground which seems trivial, because whether the hand is in the ground or not the goals are the same between an edge and an end, I think.

Nope. Defensive ends are edges. They’re not separate positions. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 12/25/2022 at 6:42 AM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

You are on the right track, but on the wrong side of the ball. The big reason they changed the nomenclature was how modern defenses were playing. Everyone has embraced the "multiple" looks. You have OLBs that play predominately with a hand in the ground. Instead of focusing on what the DC called the position (DE/OLB), just name them based on their responsibilities.