Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I mean… I’m not sure if we need a portal guy if they think Cook and Moore can contribute as freshmen.

Neyor, Worthy, J Whitt, Cook/Moore, should work.

Unless… Stewart is waking through that door. 

I mean, Neyor is coming off a major knee injury.  Yes, hopefully he comes back but you don't count on him.  I expect between cook and moore you get 1 guy who can contribute but that's 3 guys, plus contributions from thompson, red, and/or cain.  I don't think we're in a place where we take a Milton type player but for sure if you get another starter caliber player you go add them.  Someone like either of the 2 WRs that Georgia just got would have worked fine.  Rumor suggests there's a portal WR out there that's already in mind.  I assume Stewart would also be welcome but I think the Aggy plan of spending obscene amounts on their few stars is working.  I was hoping Bryce Anderson would shake free as well but I guess not....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I mean… I’m not sure if we need a portal guy if they think Cook and Moore can contribute as freshmen.

This is sort of where I’m at short of a true stud like Addison from last year becoming available (or Stewart I guess, but that doesn’t seem like it’s happening.

Your list above plus the possibility of one of Thompson/Red emerging feels like a pretty damn healthy wr room. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Too many ifs - a single injury, a portal loss or an NFL loss could quickly make us look pretty ordinary. Adding Stewart would immediately alleviate that concern.  OTOH, a big improvement by Ewers is going to be needed as well.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lol wut. You listed 5 guys and said we’re good. 1 of them is coming off a major injury, 2 are true freshman, and 1 guy has only stayed healthy in 1 out of 4 seasons. We absolutely still need a portal WR. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think the bowl game will tell us a lot about Ewers future.  

Why?  In the same way that Casey Thompson's Alamo Bowl did?  I think Ewers never was 100% healthy post-Bama.  That's why he kept throwing off his back leg instead of stepping into throws.  Combined with the offense's holistic inability to deal with the 3 deep defense that I think Iowa St. showcased against us, Sark's propensity to abandon the running game in a few games and not getting the ball to Sanders in a few others, Quinn didn't look like the stud I think he is and will be.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol wut. You listed 5 guys and said we’re good. 1 of them is coming off a major injury, 2 are true freshman, and 1 guy has only stayed healthy in 1 out of 4 seasons. We absolutely still need a portal WR. 

I hear you, but what we need is a sure thing portal WR. We don’t need a guy like Milton who’s only available because he’s coming off a major injury, and I don’t think a pure potential guy like Jojo Earle makes sense for this roster either at this point. 

So I guess I’m just ready to find out who this mystery portal receiver is that we are super confident in. Going all out to get Whitt to return and jumping through hoops for Moore has me wondering. Or maybe I’m just impatient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bar said:

Agree. We're just ceding the 20xx national championship to aggy by ignoring all the productive D1 talent in the portal.

Well, quite a few quality WR from D1 programs have entered the portal — it’s by far the deepest availability of any position… But whatever.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m not questioning his ability as a football player, I’m just not sure I would put him in the speed demon group with guys running 10.3.

There are guys with both fast 40 times and fast top speeds.

Being slow off the blocks doesn't mean that we should dismiss Moore's top speed. Jerry Rice supposedly didn't have a fast 40 time, but once he caught the ball on a crossing route, he frequently got to the sideline and was gone.

The video of him chasing down a guy by using the hypotenuse of a triangle as his shortest distance between two points was rather impressive. I like that top speed. I'm thinking that Sark will figure out a way to work with it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1