Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He was on OB early in the NSD show and he said UGA and UT were in the mix for him.. He talked about the relationship Arch and Duce had.. but I didn't get the sense that we lead for him when he was talking about Duce recruitment.. we are just a major player

So…..there’s a chance?

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

That blurb said Arch and Duce met on an unofficial visit to Clemson during the summer so it couldn’t have been when Dan met them. I assume that was right before Dan/Jake had Duce and his dad on The Hang Zone, yes?

They met at Clemson? Clemson? The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

• Haha 6

I have a question (confession- I don’t spend a lot of time on the recruiting board outside of signing day, and I’m sure everyone is grateful for that): on a NIL policy scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is “the school only has NiL opportunities funded outside the AD, available only to enrolled athletes, with coaches unable to make promises, and all funding is accounted per GAAP”, and 10 is “the school’s staff and boosters are colluding to buy recruits, engaging in bidding wars, and calling any spending ‘NIL’ to justify it publicly, even though everything is handled under the table”, where does Texas slot? 

I’m hoping it’s close to “1”. I assume Oregon and TAMU are close to 10? Where does Miami slot? Thanks, and I’ll hang up and listen. 

15 minutes ago, statsman said:

I have a question (confession- I don’t spend a lot of time on the recruiting board outside of signing day, and I’m sure everyone is grateful for that): on a NIL policy scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is “the school only has NiL opportunities funded outside the AD, available only to enrolled athletes, with coaches unable to make promises, and all funding is accounted per GAAP”, and 10 is “the school’s staff and boosters are colluding to buy recruits, engaging in bidding wars, and calling any spending ‘NIL’ to justify it publicly, even though everything is handled under the table”, where does Texas slot? 

I’m hoping it’s close to “1”. I assume Oregon and TAMU are close to 10? Where does Miami slot? Thanks, and I’ll hang up and listen. 

Holy run-on sentence Batman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Ha. That Clemson visit is where Dan from The Ticket sat with both of their fathers during the game. There was an interesting story that Dan mentioned about that visit where he mentioned that both of those fathers had shitty things to say about one program. I’ll try to find it. CSB/

I love the fact that Duce's father (Dominic) is a huge P1 and was going to the Texas/Bama game with Jake (they ended up missing it but Jake went)

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, statsman said:

I would say your illustration and scale is nowhere near how anything works. You can be a 1 and still be in a bidding war and have it be NIL money. Our paper trail on compliance shit is expensively transparent. 

Texas is a 1.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

In a college football world where everyone is a mercenary is it more difficult to spot recruits who will be a net negative to the team? Just a few years ago, Alabama could pick and choose their team from a group of highly rated high schoolers. Now they can’t be as picky and have taken some guys that Texas wasn’t so high on. It’s hard to tell from the outside though whether we didn’t like the attitude or that we are dealing with limited funds where we don’t want to get into too many bidding wars. In any case, having too many Demas’es around clearly is a problem but balancing that with having enough studs to compete seems like a difficult coaching challenge.  Just wondering what the immediate future of college football will look like. It seems like Michigan has figured out a good mix. Unfortunately, USC looks to be pretty good taking a different approach to the mercenary dilemma. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

RGBIII already answered the Texas question. I don’t think Oregon is that far off of 1 either, simply because they don’t have to be. Lanning was part of the bag machine at Georgia so I’m sure yesterday’s chicanery boiled down to some good old fashioned baggage handling, but it’s mostly unnecessary now. They have Knight’s full financial backing. They can wink and nod about what someone gets on campus and then load them up and keep them. They’re off of 1 mostly because they choose to be, not because they have to be. 

ATM is at a 10 and they may be the only team there. We talked to an official elsewhere about their bullshit and that person said “all they’re doing is money laundering and then claiming that everyone else is too”. They haven’t adjusted to legit NIL and the aggie staff is fully involved with paying players for playing. It’s somewhat phenomenal to witness. Legit NIL is rapidly in ascent and these goobers are doing donuts in the school parking lot in their brand new ‘85 trans am, hollering “whoop!!” as the tires squeal and $1 bills spill out in front of the sophomores. 

Miami is backed by a true slime ball in Ruiz, but they’re allegedly somewhat compliant. Miami has too many native competitive advantages with NIL for them not to figure it out better than most. The only things working against them is a stadium situation that is laughable, a fanbase that doesn’t really exist, and a coaching staff whose core talent was being able to buy players when others viewed it as illegal. 

Maybe this is a question better addressed in the NIL thread, but given that Oregon has staffed their NIL team with ex-Nike folks who cover a broad spectrum of expertise, how is the Texas NIL team figuring out the bigger picture and filling those expertise holes.

In the back of my mind I worry that over time Oregon will be able to create more NIL opportunities for athletes because of those specialized expertise areas. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe this is a question better addressed in the NIL thread, but given that Oregon has staffed their NIL team with ex-Nike folks who cover a broad spectrum of expertise, how is the Texas NIL team figuring out the bigger picture and filling those expertise holes.

In the back of my mind I worry that over time Oregon will be able to create more NIL opportunities for athletes because of those specialized expertise areas. 

They are in Oregon. They don’t have the fan support or the broad NIL base of a lot of teams. And talent wise, they are going to have to compete with USC because most of the talent will be coming from California. Attracting Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Georgia guys will always be difficult for them.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Oregon is going to have a good NIL. Texas does has its own advantages. 

GDP by state (in millions): 

Texas $1,772,132 (#2 in the country)

Oregon 253,849

City of Austin's GDP is slightly behind the GDP of the state of Oregon. Given the economy of the state is 7x that of Oregon, Texas can probably still scrape by with less expertise.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Oregon's big advantage is one heavy hitter has taken it upon himself to get involved, with the full weight of his empire.

I believe others have stated that Texas is still waiting on a big alum to get involved in that fashion.

Having said that, we don't get through the 2023 class so smoothly without excellent work by the existing Texas NIL programs.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Different programs will offer different things. Right now Nike could sign NIL deals with every Oregon Athlete and subsidize their entire NIL program. That could be all that they offer, regardless of expertise, and they'd still be able to comfortably afford it and stay at the top of the hill on NIL. Now, that isn't what their program aims to be doing, but the point is that different funding will come from different areas. As another poster said, Eugene and the state of Oregon can't offer the depth and breadth to what Austin and Texas can offer players. 

As a whiny aggie said in a screenshot, why aren't we buying players lambos too? The dumbshit was too stupid to realize that our NIL is legit for those cars, and Bryan/College Station doesn't have a fucking lambo dealership. In other words, I'm not sure the Texas NIL groups need to "figure out" any specific holes. At least not in the near or medium term. Will Oregon's team perhaps find more "national" opportunities for players in the short or medium term? Quite possible, especially if they stack talent and win. Will they always have the option to have those kids show up in Nike ads? Sure. But Austin, and Texas, offer different things and there is no saying that they won't stack up equally or similarly to Oregon. So it's going to come down to different things different kids might want.

That being said, I'll be real curious what happens when Arch starts being successful here, with his built in national brand. I'm sure he'll show up in some commercials with his Uncles. And much like a scout showing up to see a star player and finding other quality guys, I'm not so sure the Arch effect won't drag other UT players higher into a national attention scale as well. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

RGBIII already answered the Texas question. I don’t think Oregon is that far off of 1 either, simply because they don’t have to be. Lanning was part of the bag machine at Georgia so I’m sure yesterday’s chicanery boiled down to some good old fashioned baggage handling, but it’s mostly unnecessary now. They have Knight’s full financial backing. They can wink and nod about what someone gets on campus and then load them up and keep them. They’re off of 1 mostly because they choose to be, not because they have to be. 

ATM is at a 10 and they may be the only team there. We talked to an official elsewhere about their bullshit and that person said “all they’re doing is money laundering and then claiming that everyone else is too”. They haven’t adjusted to legit NIL and the aggie staff is fully involved with paying players for playing. It’s somewhat phenomenal to witness. Legit NIL is rapidly in ascent and these goobers are doing donuts in the school parking lot in their brand new ‘85 trans am, hollering “whoop!!” as the tires squeal and $1 bills spill out in front of the sophomores. 

Miami is backed by a true slime ball in Ruiz, but they’re allegedly somewhat compliant. Miami has too many native competitive advantages with NIL for them not to figure it out better than most. The only things working against them is a stadium situation that is laughable, a fanbase that doesn’t really exist, and a coaching staff whose core talent was being able to buy players when others viewed it as illegal. 

What mechanisms, if any, are available to enforce the ‘1’ type of behaviors?

Are there any plans to enforce legitimate NIL, or is this going to be a free-for-all forever?

I really want to see how poorly aggy fares when forced to a level playing field.

That, in conjunction with Jimbo, would have ATM disappear into a splendid vortex of suck.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They're all eventually going to realize that there are key roles on the business development and brand experience side that need focused, experienced personnel owning these responsibilities. There isn't currently someone on the Texas One Fund side working to cut deals with corporate entities in order to showcase players for NIL. Some of that has popped up. Some corporate have gone directly to players. Agents for big time players have helped (Bijan's team helped him maximize his NIL opps to close to $3M). 

It's a known gap in the growing machine on UT NIL's end. I don't know if it is even recognized anywhere outside of Oregon, us, and probably USC and Miami (corporate in both regions have been actively trying to work with their programs since last July). The good news is, most places won't be able to do much about the corporate side of NIL unless they are consistently nationally relevant. Take Bama at the moment. Big corporate is all over their stars, but what happens when they're wandering in the wilderness? Not much native corporate for them during the darker times. 

We have belabored the Oregon situation regarding NIL since literally the dawn of NIL. They have huge advantages engineered through one massively wealthy and connected alum. They have all the money they could ever need and they have an all star team running their NIL machine from one of the biggest marketing and brand-building giants the world has ever known.

The only disadvantages they have are 1) you can't move Eugene somewhere else and 2) they may wind up in the Mountain West. If a player is only about the money and building his brand, Oregon is the best choice on the map, rivaled only by Texas, USC, maybe Miami, UNC, Ohio State, UCLA, Georgia and whoever else is running boss over the sport at any given time.

Until further notice, the biggest force in NIL will remain Oregon. And Knight is allegedly leaving Oregon athletics something around $1B when he's gone. That's a rumor, but I see no evidence to discount it. 

Frankly, I find it best to just ignore Oregon. If we go head up with them on someone, it's not like we can't win it, but it's going to depend upon that person's key driver - if it is money, only Oregon lacks a limit for any recruit. For those who have wondered, Knight, his team, and Texas NIL aren't enemies currently, and Nike views the UT brand as a pillar brand for them in college sports. I don't expect to butt heads as much with them as some other schools will. We'll see. 

The work on the mega $$$ alums continues in earnest and there have have been multiple entities participating at mid-6 figures upward who will continue to do so. More is needed. Just like more crowdfunding is always needed. But a lot of BMDs have stepped up or have soft circled that they will. 

Invention is ludicrously hard and building everything from the ground up that didn't previously exist takes time, patience, vision, courage, money, and institutional support. Those ingredients are all in Texas NIL's favor as much as anyone's right now.

Did getting all the different initiatives aligned via the Texas One Fund and thus getting Texas Exes/LHF associated help break down any of the concerns of the big $?

The stuff with Peyton Bowen is eye opening. I know, I know, fuck ND and all that. I assume that ND has their NIL shit together relatively well. That's a very large, well-connected, and motivated fan base. Still, Oregon swooped in at the 11th hour and took their chain. Basically, if Oregon decides that they really need a player, they're going to get the player, and there's nothing to stop them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that ND is currently with Under Armor and Nike schools would be off limits, but personally I have my doubts about that.

Also, something I've been meaning to ask, since it's come up on this page. Are we supposed to drop Burnt Ends and send those dollars to Texas One now? Are they the same thing? I'm confused on that point.

Edited by tokamak

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Also, something I've been meaning to ask, since it's come up on this page. Are we supposed to drop Burnt Ends and send those dollars to Texas One now? Are they the same thing? I'm confused on that point.

Hopefully someone with better understanding will chime in... 

I believe the One Fund is the only university related NIL collective. But it is a collective of collectives. 

Burnt Ends is a collective without university ties.  

Both totally legit, and both can receive your donation legally. 

**Waiting on @RGBIII to see how I did**

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The stuff with Peyton Bowen is eye opening. I know, I know, fuck ND and all that. I assume that ND has their NIL shit together relatively well. That's a very large, well-connected, and motivated fan base. Still, Oregon swooped in at the 11th hour and took their chain. Basically, if Oregon decides that they really need a player, they're going to get the player, and there's nothing to stop them. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that ND is currently with Under Armor and Nike schools would be off limits, but personally I have my doubts about that.

No Burnt Ends is separate.  Don't drop

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

to be clear he has not signed with anyone yet and as of yesterday afternoon/evening was rumored to be in contact with all 3 Oregon, ND and OU

edit: between when I hit post and now I saw this on twitter lol

---

regarding Burnt Ends, i think @RGBIII and @immamac said that Burnt Ends is going to be it's own thing - outside of Texas One - moving forward but will let them or someone else who knows confirm that.

Edited by NoName

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Frankly, I find it best to just ignore Oregon. If we go head up with them on someone, it's not like we can't win it, but it's going to depend upon that person's key driver - if it is money, only Oregon lacks a limit for any recruit. For those who have wondered, Knight, his team, and Texas NIL aren't enemies currently, and Nike views the UT brand as a pillar brand for them in college sports. I don't expect to butt heads as much with them as some other schools will. We'll see. 

USC is a Nike school, which makes for an interesting dynamic since they figure to butt heads often. Interestingly, Washington switched from Nike to Adidas a few years ago, so the gloves should be off there. 

So besides Duce, who else is left for the second signing day and are we expected to push for anyone new?

Also, if you were a 4 or 5 star with a mercenary streak but not an early enrollee, why wouldn't you wait until Spring when scarcity should theoretically drive your price up with new schools coming after you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

USC is a Nike school, which makes for an interesting dynamic since they figure to butt heads often. Interestingly, Washington switched from Nike to Adidas a few years ago, so the gloves should be off there. 

Yeah, I get that Louisville is an Adidas school but why pump them (Kentucky?) up when you could throw money and recruits at Washington and beat your rival's favorite school on the regular? Just seems odd that Louisville, of all places, is the great recipient of Adidas largesse.

Edit: I screwed up on the Fud quote post. 

Edited by Reese Bennett

Just now, Reese Bennett said:

So besides Duce, who else is left for the second signing day and are we expected to push for anyone new?

Also, if you were a 4 or 5 star with a mercenary streak but not an early enrollee, why wouldn't you wait until Spring when scarcity should theoretically drive your price up with new schools coming after you?

Or do like basketball players have started doing and do not sign an NLI at all.  There is no reason to sign one.

• Hook 'Em 1