Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Peyton could have gone and played for him at Michigan State, and Eli probably should have gone and played for him at LSU. Typical recruiting grand-standing. 

Saban was not at LSU when Eli Manning was a recruit.

Look, guys, Saban has already told the Mannings shit about Sarkisian that I'm unwilling to post here. They're still not sending Arch to Alabama and they're still strongly considering Texas. The revolving door on the coaching staff at Alabama isn't attractive, and neither is a septuagenarian who has a decent chance of entering a state of cognitive decline while their grandson/nephew is on campus.

Saban will be 71 years old when the 2023 class arrives, turn 72 during their freshman season, and will be 74/75 when homeboy heads to the NFL. At some point, even if Nick Saban, born on Halloween, keeps his youth by feeding off of the fresh blood of orphan children each night, the Bowden/Paterno problems are going to arrive. Or maybe I'll eventually have my wish granted and we'll get to witness him having a cardiac arrest and watch his heart explode while he goes nuts on the sidelines during a game. Either way.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, guys, Saban has already told the Mannings shit about Sarkisian that I'm unwilling to post here.

This is what scares me about Sark and not even in a recruiting context. So I’ll ask two questions with the understanding that #2 may be off limits:

1. Does Sark know what Saban is saying about him?

2. Should we be worried about whatever it is? 

edit: maybe I’ll ask #2 in a different way - did the UT admin know about these claims when they hired sark?

Edited by Tex-19

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Saban will be 71 years old when the 2023 class arrives, turn 72 during their freshman season, and will be 74/75 when homeboy heads to the NFL. At some point, even if Nick Saban, born on Halloween, keeps his youth by feeding off of the fresh blood of orphan children each night, the Bowden/Paterno problems are going to arrive. Or maybe I'll eventually have my wish granted and we'll get to witness him having a cardiac arrest and watch his heart explode while he goes nuts on the sidelines during a game. Either way.

I absolutely expect him to retire after their next national championship.

He has made $Texas. He has no real skin in the game to set Bama up with his replacement (I would argue the next guy coming in and cocking it up makes him look even better), and that person is absolutely not on their current staff (what are they going to do...elevate BOB? lol) and like you said he is about to be in his 70s. His THREE MILLION DOLLAR HOUSE in TUSCALOOSA is now owned by boosters, so he doesn't have to worry about selling it.

At this point, I am hoping that ESPN offers him a bunch of money to replace Corso and he can pull a Jimmy Johnson and make a hilarious amount of money to work like 18 weekends a year and spend the rest of the time on a lake.

Now, will that happen? Probably not. Dude is probably going to end up coaching until he is like 80, win 7 more NCs and then have a heart attack and die on the field like CTJ said.

52 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This is what scares me about Sark and not even in a recruiting context. So I’ll ask two questions with the understanding that #2 may be off limits:

1. Does Sark know what Saban is saying about him?

2. Should we be worried about whatever it is? 

edit: maybe I’ll ask #2 in a different way - did the UT admin know about these claims when they hired sark?

Regarding question 1, yes. 

Regarding the rest, let's just move on.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, NoName said:

I absolutely expect him to retire after their next national championship.

He has made $Texas. He has no real skin in the game to set Bama up with his replacement (I would argue the next guy coming in and cocking it up makes him look even better), and that person is absolutely not on their current staff (what are they going to do...elevate BOB? lol) and like you said he is about to be in his 70s. His THREE MILLION DOLLAR HOUSE in TUSCALOOSA is now owned by boosters, so he doesn't have to worry about selling it.

At this point, I am hoping that ESPN offers him a bunch of money to replace Corso and he can pull a Jimmy Johnson and make a hilarious amount of money to work like 18 weekends a year and spend the rest of the time on a lake.

Now, will that happen? Probably not. Dude is probably going to end up coaching until he is like 80, win 7 more NCs and then have a heart attack and die on the field like CTJ said.

What in the world can a 3 million dollar house in Alabama look like?  I know they paid off the house but is it in Nick's name or some sort of trust?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

For the sake of changing the subject and moving on, Saban takes extreme pleasure in dragging his nuts all over every former assistant in every way possible. 

This has evidence to support it.

No, I’m not digging around to present it. Do it yourselves if you need it. 

IT

Spoiler

Inside Texas catches up with 2023 targets Harris Sewell and Ashton Porter, and the visit plans for another pair of junior prospects. Enjoy the evening news.

OL Harris Sewell, Permian (Odessa, TX) - 2023:

One of the top junior offensive lineman in the country, the 6-foot-5, 290-pound four-star and No. 72 overall prospect (92 score) is getting a ton of attention, and for good reason. His size, strength, and upside is too much to ignore. He's got that Mojo.

With 22 offers including Alabama, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas A&M, and LSU, his stock is only going to rise.

Sewell has seen his share of college campuses since June. UT, LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, and TCU all received visits, and he visited Norman last weekend for OU's close encounter with West Virginia.

"It was great," said Sewell. "The atmosphere was crazy."

He tripped to Austin and hung out with the On3 No. 1 overall player for 2023, Arch Manning, in mid-June. And they stay in touch.
`
"I'm going to try and make it to Austin on October 16th for the game," Sewell said. "(Arch) and I chat every so often. He'll be there too."

EDGE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch, (Cypress, TX) - 2023

There are some obvious similarities between Ashton Porter and 2022 Texas verbal commit Justice Finkley (Hewitt-Trussville, AL). They’re each physical edge-setters, they both value academics, and each sits atop of the Texas EDGE covet list, just in different classes.

While recruiting networks are high on Porter and Finkley, the Texas coaching staff is very high on them. They’re viewed as potentially elite players, not just because of their physical makeup, but also mental.

Porter, at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, looks to have some arc-running ability thanks to good, natural bend. This belief is confirmed by Houston area defensive line skills trainer, Brandon Jordan, who said, “Ashton is a player. Has good size, and good athleticism. Can bend and is a student of the game.”

He’s also a student of school, too, according to his mother Chassidy, “I tell him if he doesn’t have a 3.5 GPA, don’t even bother coming home.“

The family visited Austin in June and were blown away. The feelings continued after the most recent visit for UT’s big win over Tech.

“This past weekend, first of all, that’s my first [big environment]. I graduated from an HBCU, we don’t have the stands that, that was my first time being in a collegiate televised game. I was like okay, this is serious. This is loud. It was beautiful, it was good. I can’t say anything bad about it.”

And more praise for the Texas staff. “Extremely hospitable, almost over the top if there was such a thing. The facilities are awesome.”

His recruitment is also heating up.

“I know Arizona State is on our radar," said Chassidy. "Other than that we haven’t really sat down and spoke. Because ASU was the fist to offer him, he wants to give them a chance.”

The family's early timeline appears to point to a Spring or Summer decision.

“He’s not going to make a commitment now, but he said he’s going to pray about it and see what his options are. He’ll probably make his commitment towards the summer time before his senior year, or between February and his senior year.”

Here’s a look at the player Texas coaches are pursuing.

Two notes: 2023 On3 four-star tailback Rueben Owens (El Campo) tells IT he's unsure if he'll make the big recruiting weekend on October 16th, but he'll try. It's his birthday on Saturday and he has no plans currently to attend a game this weekend.

2023 On3 four-star linebacker Anthony Hill Jr (Denton Ryan) tells IT he's not likely coming on 10/16, but might see Texas-OU from the Cotton Bowl next weekend. He was in town for the UT-Rice contest and really likes Pete Kwiatkowski and the Texas staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry

Spoiler

Wide receiver Carnell Tate (Chicago, Ill./IMG Academy) has serious interest in the Texas Longhorns.

The No. 46 ranked prospect in the 2023 class was on campus in June. And the 6-foot-2, 185-pound smooth pass catcher walked away impressed by the environment and Austin.

“Definitely the Texas visit was impressive,” Tate told On3 Wednesday. “Texas impressed me a lot. Their campus environment impressed me. The city it’s in, it’s right by the campus and that is nice.”

The best news on the horizon for the Longhorns is Tate is planning to be back in the spring for an official visit.

“Me and my family are definitely planning to get back to Texas. It’s a place I will probably make an official visit. Ohio State and Notre Dame will get visits for sure. Texas too. Probably Tennessee.”

Tate stays in contact with head coach Steve Sarkisian, receivers coach Andre Coleman and Brandon Harris.

“Coach Sark’s message to me is to come be a part of something that can change the program. He’s helping Texas get back on the map. And they have a freshman receiver right now that’s balling, so hopefully that can be me.”

Xavier Worthy’s emergence as a true freshman that looks like a future star in college football is certainly helping recruiting efforts.

“It has shown me a lot. It shows me that Coach Sark can get a freshman on the field as soon as possible, and that means a lot to me, that opportunity.”

Despite having more than 30 offers, Tate has a good feel for which programs are recruiting him the hardest.

“Definitely, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida, Michigan, Miami, Ole Miss and Tennessee.”

Tate will visit the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish this weekend when they host No. 7 Cincinnati, and he plans to see Tennessee the following weekend. Visits to Ole Miss, Michigan and Ohio State are also in the works, but no dates have been finalized.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I can't remember reading that Hill doesn't like us, you might be thinking of David Hicks

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Hicks-46085587/

Hicks is the one that came to a lot of Texas games with his dad growing up but seems to be favoring aggy at the moment.  He's already been Fong'd to them.

• Rage+1 2

On 9/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, closetojumping said:

Regarding question 1, yes. 

Regarding the rest, let's just move on.

I'm going to go ahead and presume this is the same reason you were so down on the Sark Hire. I like what I've seen so far. This offense when clicking is a think of beauty. Very few coaches on the planet could have this group on offense be this effective IMHO. I love the way he handles his press conferences and other media appearances. He seems confident and comfortable. Not sure that has ever existed on the 40 acres.

59 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You mean the guy that's so fucked up that half your staff followed him to Texas?

All I can picture is Saban playing a deep fake video of Sark doing blow off Alabama cheerleaders with empty bottles of whiskey everywhere just for one of the Manning’s to step in and be like hey Nick we watched that same video last week with Kirby and it was you in it man. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4