Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On3 - Elite 2023 QB Arch Manning discusses recent visits, social media hype

Spoiler

No recruitment will be scrutinized more over the next 15 months than that of New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman 2023 quarterback Arch Manning. Not only is he the latest in the long line of Mannings, but he happens to be the No. 1 recruit in the On100 2023 rankings.

He is—and will continue to be—the subject of nonstop message board fodder, and any slight of tipping of his hand about a future college destination will be watched intently. The latest Manning quarterback prodigy has drawn interest from across the country, but his recruitment has largely centered around a handful of schools: Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU, Texas, Clemson and Georgia.

He visited the Bulldogs two weeks ago, where fans in the student section section painted “We Want Arch” on their chests.

“That was pretty cool, I guess,” he told On3’s Jake Reuse after Newman’s game Friday night. “I didn’t really get to see it in person, but I saw it all over social media.”

After Newman’s 59-7 demolition of Pearl River, in which Arch threw five touchdown passes, he’s heading to Tuscaloosa for No. 1 Alabama’s showdown with Ole Miss, his dad, uncle and grandfather’s alma mater. He said he’s looking forward to the trip and seeing what a game at Bryant-Denny Stadium “is all about.”

He’ll visit Texas October 16, followed by trips to Ole Miss and Clemson the following weekends.

Arch Manning likes what he sees from Texas
One of the somewhat surprising contenders in his recruitment is Texas, where first-year head coach Steve Sarkisian has taken over. Manning first developed a relationship with Sarkisian when he was the offensive coordinator at Alabama, and that bond has continued now that he’s in Austin.

“They are just good guys,” Arch Manning said. “Obviously they are great in offense, offensive-minded. They haven’t punted in two games. So, they’re really good, and they’re just laid back, good people. That’s the kind of guys I like.”

He also had high praise for the city of Austin: “Austin is a cool city. Some parts of it reminds me of New Orleans, so it has a home feel. I’m looking to see what a game is like in DKR and see what the whole culture is about.”

No commitment timeline is in the works
With visits to all five of the schools is contention for his commitment scheduled for this fall, Manning will have a chance to narrow things down over the next several months, but he insists there’s no set timeline for any decisions to be made.

“It’s going to be a hard decision,” he said. “They’re all great schools, so I haven’t really thought of that too much. I’m not even there yet.”

Wherever he does end up, though, he knows specifically what he’s looking for in a school and a program.

“I think you want to be surrounded by good people and somewhere you want to be for four years,” he added. “I think it’s not all about football, but I guess that’s a big piece. You just want to be somewhere that feels like home.”

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

All I can picture is Saban playing a deep fake video of Sark doing blow off Alabama cheerleaders with empty bottles of whiskey everywhere just for one of the Manning’s to step in and be like hey Nick we watched that same video last week with Kirby and it was you in it man. Lol 

That wasn't fake. It was Joey Freshwater and and Ole Miss cheerleader.

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Thanks.  I never post in this forum, and honestly, didn't know what year Arch Manning was due to come out.  I thought it was interesting that the NY Post actually picked it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

2023 Denton Ryan LB Anthony Hill Jr. confirmed with Inside Texas after Denton Ryan’s win over The Colony that he’ll be in attendance at both this weekend’s Red River Shootout and next weekend’s Texas vs. Oklahoma State super-visit weekend.

Texas A&M pressed Hill to visit this weekend for the Alabama game but he stood firm and decided to visit College Station later in the year for their matchup against South Carolina.

IT on Hill

• Hook 'Em 7