Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Strange that Sark is going to NOLA the day before Arch comes here. Seems like that time would be better spent prepping for OSU to put on a show for him.

That said, Arch would be nuts to go to UGA to play for Kirby and a TBD OC/QB coach (Monken will get a HC job somewhere considering how he did at Southern Miss). Agree that we need to get some OLs though

You go see the #1 player in the country anytime you can. Because if you don’t some other team will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yea OL for 2022. I just don’t hear much about that position in the 2022 class. I feel great about the skill positions. I’m currently trying to get a handle on what moves the needle the most for the manning camp. Not sure there’s a clear answer at the moment. Just a generic “elite talent” response. 

Are you saying “elite talent” is the most important thing for them in general (compared to coaches, location, etc) or just that you don’t know what positions matter most?

• Like 1

Chris Simms didn't care about our Oline recruiting or stats. He liked Mack Brown and UT and came here, in spite of GDGD. Our recruiting and program perception changed after he committed.

Arch loves Austin, he loves Sark. He has to think recruits will follow. Recruits followed Simms. If he goes somewhere else (read Bama), it's a business decision. Can't blame him if he does go to Bama. Brocks (Fuck them) made the same business decision. Although Arch/family has to question if Saban will still be Bama's coach in 4 or 5 years?

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Chris Simms didn't care about our Oline recruiting or stats. He liked Mack Brown and UT and came here, in spite of GDGD. Our recruiting and program perception changed after he committed.

Arch loves Austin, he loves Sark. He has to think recruits will follow. Recruits followed Simms. If he goes somewhere else (read Bama), it's a business decision. Can't blame him if he does go to Bama. Brocks (Fuck them) made the same business decision. Although Arch/family has to question if Saban will still be Bama's coach in 4 or 5 years?

Bama is probably running behind UGA and Clemson.

Justin Wells with Arch’s coach:

You know the Manning family is happy when Peyton's former Isidore Newman teammate and current head coach, Nelson Stewart, is calling the shots. Football is trust in the Manning household and Stewart owns plenty of it.

After watching Archibald Manning grow up, now he gets to coach the 16-year old prodigy at the place he learned to play the sport. After Manning's 11-of-11 passing, six-touchdown performance in a 70-0 win over Fisher, it's easy to see why coaching the youngest Manning is so special.

"He's just awesome to coach," said Stewart. "I mean, I think that even tonight (Fisher) ran coverages we hadn't seen in a front, and you know you kind of worry 'okay, what if they don't do exactly what they've shown' and they didn't right away so they dropped eight. (Arch) didn't panic. He had a great scramble, he took his check downs. I thought he was great with the football, even on the iPad with him, he understood things and communication was great. And I think what people don't understand is, you know, it's a rarity that, you know he likes to look at practice groups, he helps gameplan and I send him the game plan on Sundays."

Manning is unique in that he does start game-planning with the Newman staff on Sundays. It's all a part of the maturation for one of the nation's top quarterback prospects.

"You look at those things and how he plays football, and I love working with him," Stewart explained. "We have great staff but even it just you know, he's really good, he's got ideas, and understands what they're giving him. And I think he did that tonight. You know obviously, he throws with great accuracy, he runs the ball well, ball distribution was great, I mean you know all those guys and how inclusive he was, and know he's a special kid and he's still growing. He's still just a teenager, so I know there's a lot with him. My job is to continue to foster that growth and work as hard as I can with him. It's very rewarding but, you know, he's really improved and it's just every week, you can see him. He's just growing more and more and more."

Manning's grasp of the signal-caller spot is beyond his years. From equal distribution to helping the backups when they get playing time, he's a coaches dream.

"(Arch) actually said to me, 'I'd really like to get my completion percentage up,' said Stewart. "He's right below 70%, but it improved tonight. I think when you see a team with a fierce competition, sometimes we take some shots when we make a mistake. He'll have chances to show how much maturity he has and to just take what you have and make the best of it. He's one of the captains, you know, I think that it's a tremendous amount of maturity that he's not throwing haymakers. He understands that when the corners are eight-to-ten yards off, he'll take what's there, understand the protection, and understands his role. And if you watch, he celebrates with his teammates, and as he runs off the field, he goes right to the monitor (in Louisiana, you can watch replays during games). He's just a student of the game, but that's why he's a captain and that's why I think we're all grateful. His physical attributes are obviously great. But it's the mental aspect, And really, the maturity and the biggest thing to me, I think is you look at his pocket presence, you know, he's able to step up in the pocket. He's got a very calm mind out there while processing."

Stewart and Manning used the pandemic to get a better handle on the colleges currently lined up and what their offenses do. It's allowed Stewart to help Manning's process, while learning new schemes himself.

"I think we've tried to use it together, his recruitment, during the pandemic," said Stewart. "He's eager to really learn what they're doing, and what they're asking of their quarterbacks, because I think that if you don't, then he's not going to be in position for success at the national level. I'm always trying to learn and he has too. and, You know, he talked about those guys. (College OCs) will tell you, and I think the game has evolved. I think, you know what they're asking quarterbacks in terms of memorizing scripts and coverages and whatnot. I think, to help develop it in is to be investing in it. It's a joint effort but I do say this it's his journey and his decision, and I'm there to help if he needs me. He's a real smart kid and I know he'll make a great choice."

Those choices are nationwide. From Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, and Ole Miss, the coaches line up at an opportunity to talk to the junior five-star. But one coach has separated from the pack.

"(Sarkisian's) far and away the most authentic," said Stewart. "He's one of the most authentic coaches I've ever talked to. I think when you talk about all the Zooms all the time, he's really the only head coach that I remember the first time I saw him. He's always available for questions, for texting, and he formulated a real relationship with Arch. You know, he is to me a quarterback genius, just the things he notices from footwork to drops and his passion, his attention to detail, even talking to him about play-calling. Even how he controls the pace and all the things that he does, he's definitely one of the top offensive minds in the country and he's also a really good quarterback coach. I've enjoyed getting to know AJ Milwee as well. I just think that (Texas) has something really special there. You know the way they're building it fast. And I think Sark has everything. I just think that it speaks volumes when the head football coach in Texas takes time, and he's always there to answer questions, and like he said to me, 'whether we get this kid or not, the fact that I got to spend an afternoon and coach him during camp was worth every minute' and that was pretty powerful. It's awesome.

What about UT corners coach Terry Joseph? Joseph and Stewart go way back.

"I love Terry Joseph," said Stewart. "He's lucky we've been going all the way back to the Manning camps. You know what's neat about him? He's using a little, in terms of connection but he's really handed the ball off since from day one, I've talked to TJ periodically, but it's really more Sark and AJ formulating a relationship with Arch. I think early on, it was good for the connection. TJ has known the Mannings. He's a heck of a football coach."

The strongest vibe from the Newman Football team is ownership. Arch Manning, Will Randle, Kai Donaldson, and others have taken the role of leaders and try to make Stewart's job easier, on and off the field. The other vibe is All Gas No Brakes; it's the mantra Stewart adopted after meeting Sarkisian and it's sprinkled throughout the stadium. Just like the numbers on the back of Newman's helmets are identical size and font of the Texas Longhorns helmet. The subtleness of UT is all over this private school in New Orleans.

Sarkisian and Milwee will be in attendance for the Isidore Newman game on Thursday, then Manning and Randle will head to Austin. If you need a textbook on building relationships with elite quarterbacks and coaching staffs, Sark is currently writing a masterpiece.

• Hook 'Em 8

UGA seems like the biggest threat. And they’ll probably end up with the #1 or 2 class in 22 (although currently very heavy on defense). Sounds like Arch likes Athens (Austin too) and they’re obviously a champ contender.

Of course, they don’t have Sark and his history of NFL production. Monken is a good OC but has barely ever coached QBs and likely won’t stay long. They also took elite QBs in 21 and 22 so Arch may have to wait to play there. UT gets the nod for education too. 

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bama is probably running behind UGA and Clemson.

They like Clemson, but that's a courtesy interest. This season has not helped and the OL history with Clemson overall and Dabo's regime specifically isn't going to inspire any confidence. If Clemson had an offensive lifer version of Venables, sure. 

7 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Where's Ole Miss stand in the Manning sweepstakes? Any gushing Arch quotes from Yancy Porter? 

If a bunch of other shit falls apart such as Saban retiring at Bama, Sarkisian going full Shooter from Hoosiers, and Georgia getting investigated for running a rape factory, sure, Ole Miss is the safety school.

The Mannings know how the game is played. They want the grandson somewhere with corporate density, a national brand and prestige, and a shit ton of talent at all offensive positions. It will help if there is no sort of legacy to live up to or a Heisman winner to immediately follow.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Are you saying “elite talent” is the most important thing for them in general (compared to coaches, location, etc) or just that you don’t know what positions matter most?

It’s been told to me many times now that the Mannings love Texas and Sark but they need to know we can surround him with “elite talent”. Basically 5 stars and high 4 stars. 

Assuming we can’t get them all, what combo of 3 five stars on offense moves the needle the most for Manning? For example, me not really not knowing much, I would probably take Campbell, Banks, and Stewart. 

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

It’s been told to me many times now that the Mannings love Texas and Sark but they need to know we can surround him with “elite talent”. Basically 5 stars and high 4 stars. 

Assuming we can’t get them all, what combo of 3 five stars on offense moves the needle the most for Manning? For example, me not really not knowing much, I would probably take Campbell, Banks, and Stewart. 

Manning committing would likely mean Johntay Cook and Rueben Owens joining the class as well.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Manning committing would likely mean Johntay Cook and Rueben Owens joining the class as well.

Yea apologies to anyone for discussing 22 guys in here, I just think they’re more relevant to Manning than the 23 guys for now.

If he comes on board the 23 guys will flock to us. It’s why I think the key to the whole shooting match is to land Manning whatever it takes.

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yea apologies to anyone for discussing 22 guys in here, I just think they’re more relevant to Manning than the 23 guys for now.

If he comes on board the 23 guys will flock to us. It’s why I think the key to the whole shooting match is to land Manning whatever it takes.

Yeah gotta help that Johntay and maybe Owens would be on board plus a ton of others would want in. Between Sark and Arch, you’d think the Mannings have to know he’d have tons of talent if he committed here. 

Interestingly, our offensive commits in ‘22 are better than UGA right now. Winfield is higher than their top WR, and we have Brenen on top. Their best OL is a 3 star (I’m sure that will change). They have a good RB but we have two good ones. He’d also have a year of Worthy here.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Regarding Saban, the guy who staggered off at Kyle Field didn’t look like he’d last another 4 or 5 weeks, but I’m sure he’ll get a fresh tan and a new shaker of Toppik and be good as new.

I had the exact same thought watching that game. Maybe it’s just because they were getting beat, but Saban looked like a guy that’s getting tired of this shit. 

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I had the exact same thought watching that game. Maybe it’s just because they were getting beat, but Saban looked like a guy that’s getting tired of this shit. 

I don't think he's tired of it, but his body isn't able to put forth the effort required.

That or his supply of virgin blood has been exhausted

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If a bunch of other shit falls apart such as Saban retiring at Bama, Sarkisian going full Shooter from Hoosiers, and Georgia getting investigated for running a rape factory, sure, Ole Miss is the safety school.

Yeah - I haven't followed this nearly as closely as most but I've seen quotes that imply Ole Miss put Lebby in front of his recruitment which is interesting because I'll be shocked if Lebby there past January.  He finished 2nd for the UCF job and with the season their O/Corral is having will get a decent offer.  Not to mention I'm sure Lane is eyeing LSU.  Ole Miss just isn't ever going to offer stability and to your point doesn't seem realistic absent implosion by all contenders.  UGA seems like biggest threat.

32 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I’m not sure why y’all get worked up over Arch. This is a business decision and smart money says he goes to Georgia or Bama. The Texas oline is a fucking train wreck. There is no way the Manning family is sending Arch to Texas to get broke in half. 

Found the satya sock

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

I’d love to be wrong and love to see Arch sign with us. If we had a competent Oline I’d even be somewhat confident. However, I just don’t see why the Manning clan lets Arch come here to get his shit pushed in with our Oline. 

Again, truly hope I’m wrong. Perhaps Flood will get off his ass and actually sign a top tier OL class. 

Name the current starting offensive lineman you believe will be blocking for a 2023 QB recruit.

7 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I’d love to be wrong and love to see Arch sign with us. If we had a competent Oline I’d even be somewhat confident. However, I just don’t see why the Manning clan lets Arch come here to get his shit pushed in with our Oline. 

Again, truly hope I’m wrong. Perhaps Flood will get off his ass and actually sign a top tier OL class. 

I might agree with you if this were late 2022 but we are just so far away from when he would ever take the field with us I really don't think it matters. Were he a 2022 player, and our OL play / recruitment in that area did not improve from where it is currently sits..   then yeah. Sure. I could see it being a serious issue that probably take a lot of finessing with the family. As-is I doubt it even rates as a notable concern. In the very least I do not see it stopping Arch from committing (potentially as soon as the next few weeks). 

If we reach November next season and our QBs continue to get killed and we have yet again shit ourselves recruiting on the front? Sure. He probably won't sign here commitment or not. Fuck ton of time before then and its very unlikely if we actually land Arch that we will not also rope in some beasts in the portal and 2023 OL class. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

5 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Manning won’t be starting here for 2-3 years. Our current OL personnel being bad is irrelevant.

Meanwhile UGA has had 5 stars everywhere for years and still can’t develop a single good QB. Trusting Kirby Smart with QB development seems pretty fucking dumb.  

• Hook 'Em 9

Everyone is bitching about the OL and they haven’t played great…but the offense is still scoring like a mother fucker. Sark can obviously scheme around some of this shit. Just keep putting up an awesome and exciting offense and the rest takes care of itself. Think the Manning family will give a single fuck that we missed on Kelvin Banks when Evan Stewart hops back in the class? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A) This exact shit was written about Simms and Tennessee in the 1999 recruiting cycle. 

B) Who the fuck has Georgia produced justifying your take in your mind? Justin Fields? Nope. Fromm? Right. Eason? Holy shit. You’re aware that Kirby Smart’s regime didn’t coach Matt Stanford, right?

C) Your posts have a lot more value when you have the hot ass chick in various bikini shots in your avatar. Maybe go add that, take some time to regroup after a terrible post, and come back better in the future?

Fuck Stanford

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2