Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Sounds like staff is on it portal wise. Wish I knew which names specifically but they seem to feel good about it. Heard theres portal interest at WR too. Kids that wanna play for Sark.Ā 

This offense with some athletes would easily be the best in the country. Hopefully that works in our favor with some studs that are instant impacts. Stunt on these hoes SarkĀ 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

I think Sark got Mensa off the hook with that one yesterday.

Not sure how that is possible considering Herman is probably exiled to the bowels of Soldier Field.

2 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

No not sure about that. Sark is selling the future. It's his first season. Sark has a diffrent feel then turtle.Ā 

Like it's been suggested on the Football Board, Texas must win out otherwise this current different feeling will be gone and based on conference results so far, it could very well turn into MENSA 2.0 (single digit margins with slightly more victories than losses marked by blown/near blown leads). I hope not and bye week really needs to get here so coaches and players alike can cool their jets and recalibrate for hopefully a strong finish.

29 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Don't shoot the messenger but the possibility of loss #3 incoming next weekend is high.Ā  OSU has some scores to settle next week.Ā  They are going to be coming in hot.

Must-win game next week with all those recruits visiting. OSU seems pretty good but most of their wins have been squeaked out against shitty opponents (7 vs Missouri St, 5 vs Tulsa, 1 vs Boise). At home, we should win.Ā 

It does worry me a bit that they had a bye week to rest and prepare while we're coming off a brutal loss with several injuries. Our run defense absolutely has to be better against them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Must-win game next week with all those recruits visiting. OSU seems pretty good but most of their wins have been squeaked out against shitty opponents (7 vs Missouri St, 5 vs Tulsa, 1 vs Boise). At home, we should win.Ā 

It does worry me a bit that they had a bye week to rest and prepare while we're coming off a brutal loss with several injuries. Our run defense absolutely has to be better against them.

OSU lost its best pass rusher in Trace Ford to a torn ACL earlier in the year so that should help our OT's some.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Sounds like staff is on it portal wise. Wish I knew which names specifically but they seem to feel good about it. Heard theres portal interest at WR too. Kids that wanna play for Sark.Ā 

After last night, maybe the Brocks want out

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Who are the "several injuries" victims?

Spoiler

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian will be at 2023 No. 1 overall recruit Arch Manningā€˜s game for New Orleans Isidore Newman on Thursday night, according to On3ā€™s Chad Simmons.

The visit will come two days before Manningā€™s visit to Austin on Oct. 16.

New Orleans Isidore Newman is playing at LaPlace (La.) St. Charles Catholic, and it is the teamā€™s only Thursday game of the season.

The Longhorns are considered one of the favorites to sign Manning, along with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Ole Miss.

The relationship between Sarkisian and Arch Manning is great, and Manning praised the first-year head coach this past Friday in an interview with InsideTexas.

Manning said Sarkisian is a football genius and appreciates that he is not always pitching him and makes sure to check in and see how he is doing.

He also told DawgsHQā€™s Jake Reuse a few weeks prior that he vibes with the personalities of Sarkisian and his staff.

ā€œThey are just good guys,ā€ Arch Manning said. ā€œTheyā€™re just laid back, good people. Thatā€™s the kind of guys I like.ā€

He visited Georgia on Sept. 18 and Alabama on Oct. 2. He will visit Clemson and Ole Miss later this month.

Arch Manningā€™s HS coach praised Sarkisian on a podcast
New Orleans Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart recently appeared on an episode of the ā€œPros Like Usā€ podcast and talked about what it is like coaching Arch Manning.

He also talked about watching Manningā€™s recruiting process, and only one coach was mentioned twice: Steve Sarkisian.

ā€œSteve Sarkisian has been phenomenal, just on zooms, talking football, installs what theyā€™re doing,ā€ Stewart said on the podcast.

On3ā€™s Gerry Hamilton recently said that if Texas signs Arch Manning, it would be the biggest win on the recruiting trail for the program in two decades.

ā€œIf Texas could win out for Arch Manning, it would be so similar to when Mack Brown won out for Chris Sims in 1999 recruiting class,ā€ Hamilton said. ā€œIt signaled to the nation that Texas is going to be back. Texas is now a legitimate threat again. If Arch Manning shut down his recruitment and Texas ended up beating out Georgia and Alabama and Clemson and Ole Miss for him, that would be the biggest thing that happened for Texas football recruiting probably since Vince Young signed in 2002.ā€

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

From On3 Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons

Arch ManningĀ is theĀ No. 1 prospect in 2023, and with his performance so far this season, he may be widening the gap between him and the other top juniors in the country.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound five-star quarterback at New Orleans Isadore Newman has progressed over the last year. He is showing great consistency, arm strength, more athleticism and still that quick release in 2021.

Manning can go anywhere he wants. He has the offers, and he has never talked about favorites, and he may never officially cut his list down, but the schools talked about the most this fall have beenĀ Alabama,Ā Clemson,Ā Georgia,Ā Ole MissandĀ Texas.
Ā 

Texas trending for Arch Manning?

It is not likely that Manning will ever name a leader or rank his top schools, but after spending time around New Orleans Monday, I like where Texas stands.

Based on what I heard from multiple sources Monday, I give the Longhorns the edge for Manning.Ā Steve Sarkisian is expected in Louisiana ThursdayĀ to see Manning play. Quarterbacks coachĀ AJ MilweeĀ is likely to join Sarkisian on the trip to the Boot State later this week.

Manning will then turn around and leave Friday for Austin. The visit over the summer went very well for Manning, and since then, things have progressed well with Sarkisian, Milwee and Texas.

What really seems to make Texas stand out according to sources is the connection with Sarkisian, not only as a coach but as a person. He has done a very good job recruiting Manning, giving him space, and still being in contact on a consistent basis. Manning also mentioned this last weekend in anĀ interview with Inside Texas:

ā€œ(Sark) is a laid back guy, which I really like,ā€ Manning told Inside Texas on Friday. ā€œHeā€™s not always pitching me. He just checks in and thatā€™s one thing I like about him. When it is football, heā€™s a genius.ā€

Sarkisian being an offensive coach, the two have talked about the Texas offense, the diversity of it appeals to Manning. But the connection appears to be much deeper than that.

This is a big visit for both parties. If things go well again, as they did over the summer, Texas could really put itself in a very good position with a decision expected in the spring of 2022.

Again, I donā€™t expect Manning to name favorites ā€“ but even with very good visits to Alabama and Georgia already this fall ā€“ Texas and Sarkisian are what I have heard the most about the last 24 hours.

This is not over by any means. Georgia was a school one source said was right there too with Alabama not far behind. This is still an ongoing battle by some heavyweights. The hot team right now appears to be Texas, and the buzz is around the Longhorns, so this weekend will be a big one.

A visit to Ole Miss will take place next weekend, and everyone knows all the connections to the Rebels Manning has. Clemson is still trying to get him on campus, and that could happen in November, but nothing is set.
Ā 

Manning as good as advertised

It was only practice, but Arch Manning was impressive on multiple levels. What stood out as much as anything was his leadership. It shouldnā€™t surprise anyone that Manning is a leader with his bloodlines. But he is, and it was nice to see.

He is also about the details. From the play fakes to the timing to taking reps until the play is perfect, Manning is all about the details.

The ball also jumped out of his hand all afternoon. He has a big-time arm, and he does not put a lot of effort into his throws.

Another thing that stood out was how Arch Manning threw the ball on the move. Throughout the practice, he worked on many throws, from short, to intermediate, to the deep ball, and while all were impressive, the throws on the move stood out as much as anything.

Manning has a lot of pressure on him. He has that last name. He has famous family members. Then there is the No. 1 ranking in the 2023 class and five stars on his profile.

But he is different.

Arch Manning is not normal. None of what was listed above moves him. He doesnā€™t have social media, he doesnā€™t care about rankings, he never self-promotes himself, he doesnā€™t even know all his offers, and he is an uber-talent with a mature mind that has a bright future ahead of him.

Will it be in Austin under Sark? Time will tell.

• Hook 'Em 5

Crystal has been giving people a wink when they ask about Manning. I donā€™t know what to think. It all sounds very good. I just donā€™t feel comfortable with the way the class currently sits. We need that elite o line talent to drop. Which I think will happen.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Crystal has been giving people a wink when they ask about Manning. I donā€™t know what to think. It all sounds very good. I just donā€™t feel comfortable with the way the class currently sits. We need that elite o line talent to drop. Which I think will happen.Ā 

Not comfortable with which class and which OL talent? I find it hard to worry about 2023 at this point. Worrying about OL for 2022 seems very justified though.

Manning is already physically where he needs to be to be a college QB, so itā€™s (aĀ shame seems harsh,Ā unfortunateĀ seems tough, too)Ā disappointingĀ heā€™s not in the Class of ā€˜22, as heā€™s ready for advanced coaching. Iā€™ve read his goal is squarely on a State Championship this year, and if thatā€™s achieved, I wonder if thereā€™s a way he can find some extra class hours and magically pull a Ewers and be in this class. Maybe a pipe dream, but Iā€™d love another year from Casey with Arch learning the ropes, then he takes over.Ā 

Okay, Iā€™ll back away from the crack pipe.

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Manning is already physically where he needs to be to be a college QB, so itā€™s (aĀ shame seems harsh,Ā unfortunateĀ seems tough, too)Ā disappointingĀ heā€™s not in the Class of ā€˜22, as heā€™s ready for advanced coaching. Iā€™ve read his goal is squarely on a State Championship this year, and if thatā€™s achieved, I wonder if thereā€™s a way he can find some extra class hours and magically pull a Ewers and be in this class. Maybe a pipe dream, but Iā€™d love another year from Casey with Arch learning the ropes, then he takes over.Ā 

Casey has two years after this one if he wants. We realistically could go from Casey to RS FR Arch.

I'm also interested in seeing if Murphy pulls a Milroe if Manning commits before 2022 ESD.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 5

Strange that Sark is going to NOLA the day before Arch comes here. Seems like that time would be better spent prepping for OSU to put on a show for him.

That said, Arch would be nuts to go to UGA to play for Kirby and a TBD OC/QB coach (Monken will get a HC job somewhere considering how he did at Southern Miss). Agree that we need to get some OLs though

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I would love it if a true freshman were good enough to overtake RS-Senior Casey Thompson, because RS-Senior Casey Thompson is going to be awesome.

He may choose to stick around, but I just get the sense Thompson, who is already 23, wonā€™t be here for another two years past this one, regardless of NFL prospects. He seems like a bright guy and will want to do something else. I meant Manning would take over after Casey left.

19 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

He may choose to stick around, but I just get the sense Thompson, who is already 23, wonā€™t be here for another two years past this one, regardless of NFL prospects. He seems like a bright guy and will want to do something else. I meant Manning would take over after Casey left.

Casey has waited his entire life for an opportunity like this one. I could see him riding it for as long as it lasts.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Strange that Sark is going to NOLA the day before Arch comes here. Seems like that time would be better spent prepping for OSU to put on a show for him.

The personal relationship is the entire ballgame here.Ā 

His family isn't on some base-tier logic where a single flashy win (or even loss) is going to move the needle much.Ā NFL teams do not care about your college team's W/L record. They care about how good you look on the field, and they're thinking about buying in with a coach who has turned Casey Thompson into a statistical phenomenon. No offense to Casey intended.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Wonder if he could reclassify like the mullet did?

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

That said, Arch would be nuts to go to UGA to play for Kirby and a TBD OC/QB coach (Monken will get a HC job somewhere considering how he did at Southern Miss). Agree that we need to get some OLs though

Good take. Ā 

Probably be a better trip for Sark to look at the top LT for 22 and then tell Arch that is who he saw this week.Ā 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not comfortable with which class and which OL talent? I find it hard to worry about 2023 at this point. Worrying about OL for 2022 seems very justified though.

Yea OL for 2022. I just donā€™t hear much about that position in the 2022 class. I feel great about the skill positions. Iā€™m currently trying to get a handle on what moves the needle the most for the manning camp. Not sure thereā€™s a clear answer at the moment. Just a generic ā€œelite talentā€ response.Ā 
Ā 

For 2023, I feel good about the Sewell kid. Seems like we are in a fine spot for Shanahan. No clue who theyā€™re looking at for tackles. Curious what you think, but based on his timeline it seems like the 22 class is just as important as 23 for Manning. Iā€™d imagine much of our offensive 2023 recruiting will hinge on what Manning decides.

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Sark and Milwee are hitting NOLA for an OSU game-planning session with Arch and Will. Arch gets to script the first 10 plays, which include four passes to TEs. Two of those are for red zone TDS. Two of the other six plays feature X scoring over the top. Bijan takes the remaining four plays, which yield another two TDs. Not a bad start, all things considered.Ā 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yea OL for 2022. I just donā€™t hear much about that position in the 2022 class. I feel great about the skill positions. Iā€™m currently trying to get a handle on what moves the needle the most for the manning camp. Not sure thereā€™s a clear answer at the moment. Just a generic ā€œelite talentā€ response.Ā 
Ā 

For 2023, I feel good about the Sewell kid. Seems like we are in a fine spot for Shanahan. No clue who theyā€™re looking at for tackles. Curious what you think, but based on his timeline it seems like the 22 class is just as important as 23 for Manning. Iā€™d imagine much of our offensive 2023 recruiting will hinge on what Manning decides.

I think we need to hit the portal hard in the offseason.Ā  Doesn't seem like (unless we can really flip folks) that we'll land enough elite OLs in 2022.Ā  I guess the real question is, who will be available in the offseason

• Hook 'Em 1