What's going on with this DNI Whistleblower ?

triplehorn

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why is Thursday the deadline?  Is Maguire set to testify or something?

Yes, in open session.  It sounds like House Intel is preparing to use inherent contempt on the spot if he fails to comply with appearing and turning over the WB report.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Yes, in open session.  It sounds like House Intel is preparing to use inherent contempt on the spot if he fails to comply with appearing and turning over the WB report.

I thought he was testifying in closed session on Thursday.

Whatever.  Our institutions have failed completely.  The rule of law is only as strong as the willingness of people to follow it.  The current situation shows that it's toast.

If a lawless third-world corrupt POS takes power, AND the political party in control of our government decides to let him.....that's it.  It's over.  That's all she wrote.

Seems that not many people realize that we've passed the point where pens, paper, and gavels can do shit.  If the Dems were a legitimate party, they wouldn't be wringing their hands.  They'd be securing support within the military for the end game.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

This is different.  The whistleblower report is arising through the office of Director of National Intelligence, you know, the office established in the wake of 9/11.  The IG has confirmed the matter is urgent and credible.  It means there is an active or unfolding threat that warrants immediate attention by House Intel. 

The retrospective analysis of the 2016 election attack undertaken by the Special Counsel could withstand obstruction, litigation, and delay to reach some form of conclusion.  The House not moving to immediate impeachment for something that arguably had come and gone could tolerate letting the process meander (regrettably).

Due to the urgent nature of the current assessed threat, there is zero tolerance of the House letting this Trump obstruction result in delay understanding the threat.  If the House fails to act, the failure will truly be theirs and theirs only.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Edited by Grade of D as in David
  • Like 1

@Grade of D as in David - you sound like you've given up.  I'm not too far behind, just pointing out why the sense of urgency is different now.  What Pelosi and Schiff have said publicly in the last 48 hrs is a clear escalation of timing and intent and it centers on the WB report.

Now is the best time for a full frontal assault on Don the Con.  It would dominate the news for October with Trump on defense in full-on obfuscation and gaslighting mode.  It would piss on any attempt a pre-emptive pardon for Roger Stone going to trial in early Nov. as well as any attempt to pardon Manafort or Mike Flynn.  

Then on the heels of the above, good chance appeals courts complete ruling on the DB and Mazars suits in Nov. with a likely result that they have to turn over subpoenaed financials to the House.

It's Go Time if there ever was one.

• Like 1

With Pelosi’s fecklessness, Trump actually has an incentive to keep breaking the law and consolidating power.  Mueller made it clear Trump is already on the hook for crimes committed while in office.  

Trump operating in his best interest should do everything he can to make himself king beyond the reach of the law.

All while Pelosi thinks an election that Trump is openly subverting will somehow fix everything.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

With Pelosi’s fecklessness, Trump actually has an incentive to keep breaking the law and consolidating power.  Mueller made it clear Trump is already on the hook for crimes committed while in office.  

Trump operating in his best interest should do everything he can to make himself king beyond the reach of the law.

All while Pelosi thinks an election that Trump is openly subverting will somehow fix everything.

The Republicans are controlling the narrative day in and day out. It's getting really, really old. Trump is getting away with any and everything he wants and laughing the whole time. The Dems are being played and made to look really stupid. It's frustrating.

43 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

The Republicans are controlling the narrative day in and day out. It's getting really, really old. Trump is getting away with any and everything he wants and laughing the whole time. The Dems are being played and made to look really stupid. It's frustrating.

They're not being played, nothing is hidden.  They just won't do their jobs.  It's up to their constituents to light the fire.  Apparently, breaking laws and endangering our nation isn't enough.  I'm surprised the Republicans haven't just started investigations on random Democrats regardless of evidence.  Act like a bitch and get treated like one. 

There is no leadership except for the guy breaking laws and slapping Democrats like their his ho's. Or maybe I should just praise Putin since he seems to be the only one able to reel in Trump.  The world may hate Trump but it has to hate spineless opposition more for being subservient.  I know I do.     

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Sounds like something a battered spouse would say

Get a grip, dude. Need me to hook you up with the Senate switchboard ?  Show you how to contact your Rep ?  Make some noise ?

I support impeachment 100%.  Said it 60 times - I'm convinced it's worth waiting until we get his financials later this Fall.  The potential crimes revealed would be immune to Fox brainwashing and GOP apologies - cold money laundering, bank fraud, and tax evasion.  Anybody here blind enough to doubt it?  Really? Because if you do, you failed.

This WB matter is urgent and appears to be more serious than obstruction of justice (see "no underlying crime!!!!!" bullshit swallowed whole) and is already more comprehensible to the general public than anything Mueller-related to date.  Nothing good comes from shooting your wad too soon.  It's too soon.  Take a shot at the king...you know the rest.  It fucking matters. 

It's too soon to manhandle the ensuing political circus.  It all boils down to that.  Nothing Dems have today would put a dent in the cover-up machine in overdrive for 3 years running.  It's baked in.  The good news is that Trump is a goddamned mobster and the House should soon have all the receipts.  WB report stands to expose him for extortion, bribery, and potential conduct consistent with espionage.  It doesn't matter if he meets strict criteria for statutory crimes.  Impeachment is political.  Get the really bad new shit out there that the public hasn't been inoculated over by the RW propaganda machine and the public WILL understand.  Then and only then will Senate GOP start shitting themselves.  Then they will lose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Footage of today’s GOP 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

The trump campaign line here is simply to get the Biden-Ukraine idea in the media as much as possible, no matter how inaccurate or baseless, so that folks will eventually start to think that corruption occurs on both sides.

You honestly dont think theres corruption on both sides of aisle?

LOL

4 minutes ago, Smax said:

You honestly dont think theres corruption on both sides of aisle?

LOL

BoTh SiDeS aRe ThE sAMe is a meme because people make fun of folks that use false equivalency, whataboutism.

It is just a diversion so you will think maybe it’s ok for trump to be corrupt

Edited by GW Hayduke

I don't need a diversion to think its ok for Trump to be corrupt because I know with 100% certainty that every president on my lifetime (possibly with the exception of Carter)

and many before were corrupt. Its how it is and its not changing anytime soon.

So with that established one must choose on which corrupt POS is most likely to govern in their interest and for me its most certainly not anyone on the left since we I disagree with them on just about everything

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 12

11 minutes ago, Smax said:

I don't need a diversion to think its ok for Trump to be corrupt because I know with 100% certainty that every president on my lifetime (possibly with the exception of Carter)

So with that established one must choose on which corrupt POS is most likely to govern in their interest and for me its most certainly not anyone on the left since we I disagree with them on just about everything

How was Barack Obama corrupt?

This thread serves up some much needed perspective.  I just listened to the opening 10 min of House chief legal counsel Doug Letter arguing about accessing Trump's (the individual) financials related specifically to Deutsche Bank money laundering and the legislative need to alter regulations to take on the billions of oligarch cash pouring into our country in corrupt real estate deals.  Why would he say that to an Appellate Judge ?  You think he's making it up, or surprise, they're farther along than anyone seems willing to admit.  Michael Cohen already pinned bank fraud on Trump testifying to Congress, along with a campaign finance felony.  Tax evasion by Donald and his sister, a federal judge,  was exposed wrt to their father Fred enlisting them into a tax evasion scheme to funnel away the family fortune.  As soon as that news broke, she resigned her federal judgeship which effectively ended any investigation.  Maybe we should address those laws for those judges while we're at it.

It's all fucking there.  Money laundering.  Bank Fraud.  Tax evasion.  WB: signs of extortion, bribery, or worse.

Whole damn thread.  Read it:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smax said:

You're a fucking idiot and should probably #decorum

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Whatever.  Our institutions have failed completely.  The rule of law is only as strong as the willingness of people to follow it.  The current situation shows that it's toast.

If a lawless third-world corrupt POS takes power, AND the political party in control of our government decides to let him.....that's it.  It's over.  That's all she wrote.

Seems that not many people realize that we've passed the point where pens, paper, and gavels can do shit.  If the Dems were a legitimate party, they wouldn't be wringing their hands.  They'd be securing support within the military for the end game.

Democrats do not control the government.

11 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Pardon my ignorance but...so what?  Does that mean he someone gets arrested or more furrowed brows while Trump obstructs his way to a second term?  

I'd love to eat crow on this but NOTHING will happen.  Trump makes John Gotti look like fly paper. 

9 hours ago, Smax said:

Ok. Let’s assume that is true.

Do want to solve this widespread corruption problem?

The best way would be to vote for those will support HR1 in the House. It would strengthen ethics rules and limit the influence of private donors. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_People_Act_of_2019

5 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Ok. Let’s assume that is true.

Do want to solve this widespread corruption problem?

The best way would be to vote for those will support HR1 in the House. It would strengthen ethics rules and limit the influence of private donors. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_People_Act_of_2019

The last think Smax and his ilk want is any kind of ethics bill to get through Congress.  Anything goes with these people, because they are fundamentally selfish, unAmerican shitheels who serve no higher interest than their own.  The sooner they die off, the better, but unfortunately, they breed and spread their toxicity to the innocent and unwitting.

The idea that any of these assholes like Smax would ever, EVER support anything that promotes fairness, equality or individual freedoms is fucking laughable.  A Civil War cannot come soon enough.

• Like 7

Does Executive Privilege prevent people from voluntarily speaking to congress or does it give them cover to not speak? 

If a lower Admin official was accused of this crime, the DOJ would immediately start an investigation. However since the only person accused of the crime is the President, the DOJ won’t given they say they won’t indict a sitting president.  That policy needs to be changed via a law. 

13 hours ago, Facemask said:

Maybe have ANY kind of proof. Just one time besides hope if proof. Dems will get waxed just as the RINOs were outed as soulless maggots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He and his attorney admitted it on national television on separate occasions. Fuck your disingenuous “but where is the proof?” bullshit

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The last think Smax and his ilk want is any kind of ethics bill to get through Congress.  Anything goes with these people, because they are fundamentally selfish, unAmerican shitheels who serve no higher interest than their own.  The sooner they die off, the better, but unfortunately, they breed and spread their toxicity to the innocent and unwitting.

The idea that any of these assholes like Smax would ever, EVER support anything that promotes fairness, equality or individual freedoms is fucking laughable.  A Civil War cannot come soon enough.

Well you had me until the last sentence 

Let's recap the reporting related to this case:

- initial reports are that a WB filing has been submitted, involving communications between Trump and a foreign leader.

- subsequent reports indicate that the whistleblower listened to calls where trump made a promise to another foreign leader.

- Twitterverse gets all spun up about outing of Russian spies, which was actually driven by media reporting.

- Media reports that the call involved the Ukraine, and was related to Trump trying to leverage an investigation of Biden with US aid package.

- Additional reporting, likely from an admin source, says there was never any quid pro quo.

- Further reporting indicates that the WB doesn't have first hand knowledge of Trumps communications with the foreign leader.

- Meanwhile, Trump and Rudy go on TV saying "Yea, we fucking did it, so what."

What a time to be alive. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

- initial reports are that a WB filing has been submitted, involving communications between Trump and a foreign leader.

- subsequent reports indicate that the whistleblower listened to calls where trump made a promise to another foreign leader.

- Twitterverse gets all spun up about outing of Russian spies, which was actually driven by media reporting.

- Media reports that the call involved the Ukraine, and was related to Trump trying to leverage an investigation of Biden with US aid package.

- Additional reporting, likely from an admin source, says there was never any quid pro quo.

- Further reporting indicates that the WB doesn't have first hand knowledge of Trumps communications with the foreign leader.

What a time to be alive. 

You missed last night’s story (upthread) about Trump directing Mulvaney to withhold the aid days before calling the Ukrainian President Elect, but yeah. That’s mostly the gist

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

However since the only person accused of the crime is the President, the DOJ won’t given they say they won’t indict a sitting president.  That policy needs to be changed via a law. 

No it doesn't. The constitution spells out what should be done.

But, but congress is dysfunctional. Fix the money in politics.

54 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What a time to be alive. 

Also an effort, I believe primarily by Giuliani on behalf of Trump, to get Ukraine to create a revision to rehabilitate Manafort's role in Ukraine that links directly to his tax evasion and money laundering felonies.  Presumably this would be to create a veil of legitimacy to pardon Paul/undercut Mueller.

In addition to acting DNI Maguire testifying to Senate Intel this Thursday, the Inspector General, Michael Atkinson, who determined the WB report to be "credible" and "urgent" will also testify.  Hopefully that is in open session as well.

Also keep in mind IG Atkinson briefed House Intel on the WB report last week.  Reporting from that briefing seems to suggest something more serious is included:

per APnews  - "...Atkinson said he disagreed with that Justice Department view. The complaint “not only falls under DNI’s jurisdiction,” Atkinson wrote, “but relates to one of the most significant and important of DNI’s responsibilities to the American people.”

The inspector general said he requested authorization to at the very least disclose the “general subject matter” to the committee but had not been allowed to do so. He said the information was “being kept” from Congress. These decisions, the inspector general said, are affecting his execution of his duties and responsibilities.

Illinois Rep. Mike Quigley, a member of the panel, said Atkinson said that the complaint was “based on a series of events...”

The Ukraine allegation re Trump talking Biden's son with Zelensky is very serious, but I'm not sure how it involves the "most significant" responsibilities of intelligence leadership.  There are more pieces to this.

The 3 most important things with all this.

The White House intervened to stop a whistle blower report from getting to Congress.

Trump spoke with a foreign government to get them to investigate his political opponent. Trump’s attorney did the same.

At the same time, Trump personally withheld millions in funding from that country.

That is damning and needs to be cycled over and over in the media

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Even when he tries to deny it, he admits to abusing the power of his office. 

Jesus fuck.

There was no pressure put on them.

But there was pressure put on them.

The man fucking lies, then proves it's a lie, in LITERALLY THE SAME FUCKING BREATH.  He's a goddamned psychopath, and the GOP supports him 100%.

• Like 2

Any other President would be impeached/convicted by both parties for attempting to break the law like this. But it seems like Trump can worm his way out of this in that he only came close to breaking the law, and actually never intended to break the law. Giuliani will explain that pretending to break the law is a shrewd international political move by all top politicians.  The Senate GOP will go along because all they care about now are judges.  With the loss of the House, McConnell's only priority is to get as many judges in place as possible by Jan 2021.

Side note: If you're a right leaning lawyer under 45, why haven't you been nominated for a district judgeship yet?