Tom Herman is a 2nd place coach

Brothahorn

The ogre replaces his weak link and now look at LSUs offense. 

Riley replaced his weakness and their defense is much better. 

Mensa is gonna have to make some tough decisions if he wants to be elite here. 

If Herman is calling plays, then fucking fire Beck and get a good oc. Herman can't handle being the head coach and calling plays if that's what's happening. Other phases of the game and general discipline suffer 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ignoring the fact you’ve gone full retard, you see the issue with having (maybe) 1 player on either line that would play for OU, right?

oh and lamb is a better football player than we’ve had on campus in a decade.

Lamb to me is equivalent to last years LJH. Both were difference makers in the game.

I cannot fathom however why our team this year played so poorly on offense, with a “better” OL this year purportedly than last year’s.

no trickeration or misdirection vs last year either. Just don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, Xian said:

Some of you people are talking a touchdown loss to the number 6 team way to hard.  It’s like we lost to Kansas or something. 

I think that comes with expectations. 

When we lost during late era Mack & Charlie years, I shrugged in plain indifference.

It sucks losing now because I had some hope in winning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Bunch of pussy ass bullshit mother fuckers posting here.

We have lost two close games to top 4 teams and we will probably win out and finish 10 and 2 with a chance to avenge one of those losses. 

Yes we really suck.

Get the fuck out with defeatist bullshit.

Don't forget to pencil in automatic losses to Baylor and ISU because some nerd's algorithm likes their stats better.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, his mentor is Mack.  This was a Mack level effort from the staff today.

A Mack team, given the eb, flow, and vibe of that game, gets beat by 40 today.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplan absolutley sucked.  One thing I haven't seen happen on TH's watch, however,  is to have the team quit.

Can't say that about Mack.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

I have to chuckle at you Texas fans.  Flame away.  That’s fine.  But you have a great coach.  He took over for a coach that had stopped recruiting and the team slid.  That’s what happens in CFB.  Now you have a coach that has gotten progressively better,  AND is recruiting like a beast, and some of you want him out.  The teams that fail are the ones that don’t let it germinate IF your recruiting is going well. It’s all about SUSTAINED success, and that takes stability.  I know our rival would LOVE to have your coach as opposed to Helton.  Hell, we thought we hit a grand slam with Chip, and he’s the worst coach in our history.  And our recruiting is in the shitter.  We have 10 years to get right.  You guys may be one be one year away.  Maybe two.  I would get on my knees to have Herman as our coach.

• Like 6

The principal difference between Riley and Herman has little to do with Xs and Os acumen. It is that Riley was willing to kick the chair out from under a DC who was the brother of one of his main mentors and champions, and the guy who have him his first big shot, mid season. Cold blooded like. Herman keeps obvious under performers around because of loyalty, ego, and its comfortable. Lots of coaches are like this. Stoops was, Mack was, etc. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The principal difference between Riley and Herman has little to do with Xs and Os acumen. It is that Riley was willing to kick the chair out from under a DC who was the brother of one of his main mentors and champions, and the guy who have him his first big shot, mid season. Cold blooded like. Herman keeps obvious under performers around because of loyalty, ego, and its comfortable. Lots of coaches are like this. Stoops was, Mack was, etc. 

the principal difference is Riley took over for Stoops who left him a very good team, Herman took over from Strong who took over from fat lazy Mack.

• Like 5

I see your program differently. Texas can compete with the top tier of the country. No doubt. Steal some wins, lose some close ones, etc. This regime yall have has shown they can get the guys they got to play. I just dont think you quite got the horses yet. 

I think Texas is the one program that is capable of breaking the Bama/Clemson hold on the current era. The fucking championship is still won the way its always been won. Blowing motherfuckers off the LOS. Texas needs to get a few more of those dudes in the 2/3 deep. Yall get that again, then your right back there. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Stoops left a Riley some good players but also an indisputably, HISTORICALLY bad defense. And left his brother in charge of it. So there’s that. 

The defense of talent they recruited in Stoops' last year was very highly ranked, they had talent all along. They only lacked coaching.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

The defense of talent they recruited in Stoops' last year was very highly ranked, they had talent all along. They only lacked coaching.

Can’t you say the same for us? Other than injuries our team is littered with highly ranked and desired players. We’ve been bringing them in for years. Either every defensive recruit under Charlie was high ranked Bc of the BOMC or they’ve had bad coaching under 2 different coaches now 

Herman himself was an excellent OC. As a HC, he is also very good, but may not be great . . . time will tell. 

The biggest thing holding him back is he seems to place loyalty to his coaching buddies ahead of finding the best absolute coaches for his players, feelings/friendships be damned.  Maybe he thinks the latter is not critical to building a championship program, or it's something he's not willing to do at a personal level.  Whatever the reason, that's not the choice that's been made by guys like Saban and Meyer, and even L. Riley. They have no compunction about firing under-performers for the good of the program.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Can’t you say the same for us? Other than injuries our team is littered with highly ranked and desired players. We’ve been bringing them in for years. Either every defensive recruit under Charlie was high ranked Bc of the BOMC or they’ve had bad coaching under 2 different coaches now 

One thing that characterized Stoops's recruiting was that it seemed to be "complete," in that, unlike Texas, there were rarely, if ever, gaping holes at positions.  We may have gotten as or more highly ranked recruits, but were often spotty at certain positions.  And if a hole emerged, it was patched as rapidly as possible, often by resort to the JUCO "market."

43 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Would you trade  Hermann for Riley today if you could?  If you would,  then you think Hermann is a 2nd place coach.

That's a tough call.  RIley was gifted a more favorable situation than Herman by a fairly large margin.  That has been a major contributor to his success.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's a tough call.  RIley was gifted a more favorable situation than Herman by a fairly large margin.  That has been a major contributor to his success.

Not defensively.  It was as bad or worse.  The difference is he knifed the brother of the guy that gave him his job right in the chest, mid-season, looking him right in the eyes and telling him it was going to be ok.  He then went out and got a young, up and comer and his unit just de-pantsed the Herman/Beck brain trust.  That's the kinda shit you gotta do if you want to have an elite program.  I don't feel like we are there yet.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing that characterized Stoops's recruiting was that it seemed to be "complete," in that, unlike Texas, there were rarely, if ever, gaping holes at positions.  We may have gotten as or more highly ranked recruits, but were often spotty at certain positions.  And if a hole emerged, it was patched as rapidly as possible, often by resort to the JUCO "market."

If Stoops includes Mike, then take a look at the defensive secondary, safety in particular, and think again. Grinch has these guys performing way above their natural size and ability. 

Talent aside, what I don’t get is the lack of energy/ intensity on offense first half, playing scared or super conservative.

Play calling as well.

Bizarre as it’s your biggest rival, biggest game. Completely different than last year, with allegedly better OL, and personnel, major exception being no LJH ( which ou had in the form of CeeDee Lamb). 

Most of this has to be coaching, but I don’t get it.

11 hours ago, Xian said:

Some of you people are talking a touchdown loss to the number 6 team way to hard.  It’s like we lost to Kansas or something. 

totally inept offense

defense our weakest link kept us in it, scored turnovers, and offense got zero points off those turnovers

tackling

tackling

tackling

did i mention our inept offense?

how about our offensive gameplan which got sam sacked NINE TIMES /ferrisbuellergif

or maybe it was 10 times.

true that the score was not mackian.

the method still was unpleasant, lacking lube and 2.5 seasons is enough data to make the determination.

either he upgradejyas the staff or with a senior sam next year his seat will get hot.

parcells, 4-8.

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have to chuckle at you Texas fans.  Flame away.  That’s fine.  But you have a great coach.  He took over for a coach that had stopped recruiting and the team slid.  That’s what happens in CFB.  Now you have a coach that has gotten progressively better,  AND is recruiting like a beast, and some of you want him out.  The teams that fail are the ones that don’t let it germinate IF your recruiting is going well. It’s all about SUSTAINED success, and that takes stability.  I know our rival would LOVE to have your coach as opposed to Helton.  Hell, we thought we hit a grand slam with Chip, and he’s the worst coach in our history.  And our recruiting is in the shitter.  We have 10 years to get right.  You guys may be one be one year away.  Maybe two.  I would get on my knees to have Herman as our coach.

We have 1 more year with a generational talent at QB, hence the sense of urgency.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We have 1 more year with a generational talent at QB, hence the sense of urgency.

Generational talent? So it will be another generation before we can find another good qb while OU is working on their third Heisman winner in a row? fuck

10 minutes ago, Xian said:

You’re right. Let’s fire him after 2.5 years and start over. Who you going to hire?  Coach o? 

Funny, I remember when LSU fans were pissed about not getting Herman.  Funny how it only takes a change at OCDC to change all that.

Make the change Herman.

Edited by Rip76

23 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Talent aside, what I don’t get is the lack of energy/ intensity on offense first half, playing scared or super conservative.

Play calling as well.

Bizarre as it’s your biggest rival, biggest game. Completely different than last year, with allegedly better OL, and personnel, major exception being no LJH ( which ou had in the form of CeeDee Lamb). 

Most of this has to be coaching, but I don’t get it.

It’s the staff. The team takes after the staff and this staff is a win by 1 and get out of there mentality.  Teams play against Texas with a hatred anger and they want to destroy and embarrass. And many have career days against us for that.  We turtle up with the lead at half time. Lead the nation in missed tackles and enjoy having momentum for 5 seconds 

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This is a good outsiders view. Thanks.

I think most of us are scratching our heads trying to understand what went wrong here. Herman is an offensive guy. Typically credited as being innovative.  Yesterday was anything but that...it was predictable. GDGD like.

Here are some things that I don't think have been discussed.

1. We brought in the Rutgers coach to help us gameplan. WTF? Why? 

2. During the WV post game presser Herman said he didn't know who the next opponent was and that he had to be reminded it was OU.  I thought "coach speak" at the time. Now I am actually convinced he didn't know...which tells me we haven't been prepping for OU.  Is this game not circled on the schedule?

I guarantee you OU worked on our game every week. They played like it.

3. During Thursdays presser Herman said they only practiced 90 minutes. Cut practice short. Why?  Did anyone else find this odd?

4. Our players talked a lot of shit. Why did Herman allow that?

5.  OU approached this game as a must win. We did not. Why? Last year we did.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I mean I like Sam too, but generational talent? Let’s pump the brakes out there. He looked completely rattled yesterday and had one of his worst games in a while. Generational QBs don’t look like how he did yesterday. 

• Like 6

Relevant shortcomings have been discussed here, ad nauseam: poor tackling, lackluster playcalling, and others. And, yes, they're all issues of concern but anybody who doesn't see that a criminally pathetic performance by the OL was the number one problem in this game just doesn't know football. As for why, I don't have a clue. We weren't banged up, we had our usual group in who'd played together for several games now, we just looked like shit and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why. As inept as the defense was and as frustrating as it was to see us whiffing on Lamb, if you'd told me that the D would hold them to 34 points I'd have thought we had a better-than-even chance of outscoring them. Wang was . . . wong.  

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I mean I like Sam too, but generational talent? Let’s pump the brakes out there. He looked completely rattled yesterday and had one of his worst games in a while. Generational QBs don’t look like how he did yesterday. 

Agreed  Sam is a good QBS  but generational?  That’s VY level talk there 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s the staff. The team takes after the staff and this staff is a win by 1 and get out of there mentality.  Teams play against Texas with a hatred anger and they want to destroy and embarrass. And many have career days against us for that.  We turtle up with the lead at half time. Lead the nation in missed tackles and enjoy having momentum for 5 seconds 

OU just replaced 4 olineman drafted in the first 4 rounds with 4 more that will be drafted and their redshirt sophomore center will probably be an All American, we spent 10 years trying to get one drafted. That's what we're battling, years of mediocrity vs them just fucking reloading. Winning by one and getting out of there is where we're at right now. Sucks but it is what it is.

• Like 2