Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Here is an update that I would imagine I’d see from know nothing 9.95’rs.

“As I’ve mentioned before, it’s my understanding that some time before Sunday of last week the process with Urban went sideways, with Urban turning down the unofficial outlines of an offer from Texas.

Since that time, our crack staff has been searching for a better understanding of why he turned it down, and why rumors have continued into this week. After all, if he turned it down, we wouldn’t be hearing about flights, staff hires, and other details.

After exhausting all potential sources, it appears one of three things has happened. Either a) Meyer leaked out to those close to him that he turned down the offer but is still negotiating anyway, b) Texas has in fact moved on to Plan B and all of the rumors are fictional accounts by trolls and paid web site reporters, and/or c) Texas doubled down, didn’t take no for an answer and upped the offer substantially.

Evidence has emerged for a) and c), and we all know b) is always in play - see Saban Texas circa 2012/2013.

For a), our staff have learned from Surlyhorns that Meyer actually deployed the same negotiating technique for the Ohio State job, lending credence to the a) theory.

For c), two posters on Surlyhorns with connections in the program claim something changed Tuesday night. That would indicate that improved deal terms did in fact caused Meyer to reconsider.

Armed with this new information, we reached out to our sources for commentary. While our sources were surprised to hear about scenario a), they already expected that c) would happen.

When asked whether they thought the situation might have changed since Sunday, they indicated it was possible, but that they had still heard nothing different since Sunday.

Our staff noted that if Meyer was in fact floating his rejection out to those around him last week, a change in situation this week wouldn’t likely be leaked yet.

On the theory that Urban would have already publicly rejected the offer by now, we believe that Meyer is reluctant to address the rumor because there is no job opening at this time. “

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Today and tomorrow morning are super important, not to get a yes but to not hear a no. This game means nothing. As long as we don’t hear a no we look really really good. I will only worry if Herman isn’t fired by Monday at the very latest, if this drags to Tuesday we may be fucked and I suspect we hear some other names

If he's not fired by Sunday morning we're probably in a goat fuck situation. It will at least be a goat rodeo, trending toward goat fuck.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Today and tomorrow morning are super important, not to get a yes but to not hear a no. This game means nothing. As long as we don’t hear a no we look really really good. I will only worry if Herman isn’t fired by Monday at the very latest, if this drags to Tuesday we may be fucked and I suspect we hear some other names

What if the Kansas game is still on?

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

futureman is definitely echeese.

Does he love Mack brown?  If not, no 

5 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

How quickly does it spread and where first

From the looks of it slower than south Austin’s mom.  First thief would be a faux insider from ob or 247

23 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The “silence is good” crowd is missing the point where UM hates Herman. So the longer it plays out , the worse it is for Herman. So , according to our resident sales expert up above, silence is a good thing, meaning he’s still in play. However, I think sales guy is discounting the fact that the longer UM let’s Herman and co swing in the wind, the more it’s  a twist of the knife. He may have no desire to come to TX, but the longer he strings it along , the more our program suffers. 

True but urban also seems like a respectful guy with some decorum.  He wouldn’t screw over cdc or Texas.  

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Edited by ClubWhatever
dp

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

So uh...what's today's thread title? 

5 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

BTW my best friend went to ND and writes occasional sports pieces for their fan site.  They're good.   Witty and funny.  I turned him onto Surly and he was like WTF is wrong with your fans they're dark and arrogant.  I said yeah but we eat our own but respect wit.  Wit is most important.  He didnt understand for some reason.

The pride and winning witty tradition of The University of Texas will not be entrusted to the weak or the timid. 

I was saying this yesterday. Urban would want this publicly resolved before people start asking him awkward questions on live TV Saturday. If he nevertheless keeps quiet, then most likely there's a deal, and he can't discuss it for timing reasons -- TX wants to wait to fire TH, or UM wants to wait due to tOSU's season.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

So there isn't really a feasible way we get the news today is there? Firing coach a day before the game is not a good look. I think if it's a done deal we know immediately after the Saturday game or as soon as the KS game is cancelled 

Only way is positive COVID tests canceling the game and even then it's probably tomorrow. Even just on the firing. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

“As I’ve mentioned before, it’s my understanding that some time before Sunday of last week the process with Urban went sideways, with Urban turning down the unofficial outlines of an offer from Texas.

Since that time, our crack staff has been searching for a better understanding of why he turned it down, and why rumors have continued into this week. After all, if he turned it down, we wouldn’t be hearing about flights, staff hires, and other details.

After exhausting all potential sources, it appears one of three things has happened. Either a) Meyer leaked out to those close to him that he turned down the offer but is still negotiating anyway, b) Texas has in fact moved on to Plan B and all of the rumors are fictional accounts by trolls and paid web site reporters, and/or c) Texas doubled down, didn’t take no for an answer and upped the offer substantially.

Evidence has emerged for a) and c), and we all know b) is always in play - see Saban Texas circa 2012/2013.

For a), our staff have learned from Surlyhorns that Meyer actually deployed the same negotiating technique for the Ohio State job, lending credence to the a) theory.

For c), two posters on Surlyhorns with connections in the program claim something changed Tuesday night. That would indicate that improved deal terms did in fact caused Meyer to reconsider.

Armed with this new information, we reached out to our sources for commentary. While our sources were surprised to hear about scenario a), they already expected that c) would happen.

When asked whether they thought the situation might have changed since Sunday, they indicated it was possible, but that they had still heard nothing different since Sunday.

Our staff noted that if Meyer was in fact floating his rejection out to those around him last week, a change in situation this week wouldn’t likely be leaked yet.

On the theory that Urban would have already publicly rejected the offer by now, we believe that Meyer is reluctant to address the rumor because there is no job opening at this time. “

“Situation remains fluid” needs to be in there

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I was saying this yesterday. Urban would want this publicly resolved before people start asking him awkward questions on live TV Saturday. If he nevertheless keeps quiet, then most likely there's a deal, and he can't discuss it for timing reasons -- TX wants to wait to fire TH, or UM wants to wait due to tOSU's season.

The Fox set is a controlled environment. Reggie Fucking Bush ain't asking Urban any awkward questions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Fuck you...every game we play means something to me.

Get off your fucking high horse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Fox isn’t going to crank any pressure up on Urban. Urban is the alpha on that set

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

Fox isn’t going to crank any pressure up on Urban. Urban is the alpha on that set

Yup, it will be business as usual. They've skated around the subject but they aren't going to press it or force an answer. 

It will be similar to his last weekend on ESPN back in 2011 I'd assume unless they learned from that ordeal and that's why there is basically no information out right now. Which I'm sure is something that Urban has to respect a lot from our side of the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Probably close. Except nowhere in there did you use the word "fluid."

8 hours ago, Mole said:

You know, this board has been a beating for the past year. This is the first thread that has felt like the old days. I have a good feeling about this.

Yep. I had started spending way too much time in Cloak Room where I can’t even post. This thread has broken me of that habit. It’s been great for my mental well being. 

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Think you’re alone in That department...and I meant, win or lose the game means nothing to UM or the timeline but I guess it’s too early for reading comprehension and good fuck you to you too sir

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

If he's not fired by Sunday morning we're probably in a goat fuck situation. It will at least be a goat rodeo, trending toward goat fuck.  

speaking of goat fuck, Tom Herman seems like the kind of guy who tucks his boots into his jeans

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

if you think a final game in a lost season where the head coach is a dead man walking against KANSAS of all teams means jack shit you should take a giant step back from sports in general.

• Hook 'Em 2

So there isn't really a feasible way we get the news today is there? Firing coach a day before the game is not a good look. I think if it's a done deal we know immediately after the Saturday game or as soon as the KS game is cancelled 
The only way news could leak earlier, imo, is if this will be set up that Herman is leaving for another job.

I could see that coming in a press release, with Herman still coaching ksu, but with that being his last game.

I think chances of that happening are very, very, very slim, but there have been rumors that both scar and vandy are interested, and if we've negotiated a buyout with a soft landing that doesn't seem quite as bad to announce before a game.

If he's going to be fired, zero chance the announcement happens before ksu at this point.

Remember, if the squid man is to be believed, he said three more sunsets yesterday. That would mean either Saturday for Herman and Sunday for Meyer, Sunday for both, or possibly Sunday for Herman and Monday for Meyer.

I can't be the only one who just saw them ask UM, live on the air, whether he's coming to Austin to fix our football team. This is not hypothetical; it actually happened, last week or the week before. He can't control what they ask.

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Think you’re alone in That department...and I meant, win or lose the game means nothing to UM or the timeline but I guess it’s too early for reading comprehension and good fuck you to you too sir

Seriously doubt I am alone on this except for most of you on this abortion of a thread.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

futureman is definitely echeese.

Does he love Mack brown?  If not, no 

5 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

How quickly does it spread and where first

From the looks of it slower than south Austin’s mom.  First thief would be a faux insider from ob or 247

23 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The “silence is good” crowd is missing the point where UM hates Herman. So the longer it plays out , the worse it is for Herman. So , according to our resident sales expert up above, silence is a good thing, meaning he’s still in play. However, I think sales guy is discounting the fact that the longer UM let’s Herman and co swing in the wind, the more it’s  a twist of the knife. He may have no desire to come to TX, but the longer he strings it along , the more our program suffers. 

True but urban also seems like a respectful guy with some decorum.  He wouldn’t screw over cdc or Texas.  

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I can't be the only one who just saw them ask UM, live on the air, whether he's coming to Austin to fix our football team. This is not hypothetical; it actually happened, last week or the week before. He can't control what they ask.

He wasn't asked if he was coming to Austin to fix the team, they were all asked to name their favorite college town, and then he was asked was he going to pick Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The only way news could leak earlier, imo, is if this will be set up that Herman is leaving for another job.

I could see that coming in a press release, with Herman still coaching ksu, but with that being his last game.

I think chances of that happening are very, very, very slim, but there have been rumors that both scar and vandy are interested, and if we've negotiated a buyout with a soft landing that doesn't seem quite as bad to announce before a game.

If he's going to be fired, zero chance the announcement happens before ksu at this point.

Remember, if the squid man is to be believed, he said three more sunsets yesterday. That would mean either Saturday for Herman and Sunday for Meyer, Sunday for both, or possibly Sunday for Herman and Monday for Meyer.

I think the only way we hear anything is if it's actually a no given as final answer. 

This is going smoother than it did in 2011 for Urban in regards to information getting leaked. Which IMO is a positive for us to show we can run a tight ship under the new administration of Hartzell/CDC with Eltife being the chair of the BoR since 2018. 

Everyone of those guys are top notch and leadership hasn't been this strong in a long time in the UT admin.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's funny, they really didn't ask him that, even though if you're paying attention they did.

I bet a good portion of the audience who only casually follow cfb completely missed what actually happened in that exchange.

All they really asked him was if he'd pick Austin as a great college town. There was significantly more implied, and that was obvious from all of their reactions, but he still wasn't directly asked about it. I'm not sure they'd go that far.

I think the only way we hear anything is if it's actually a no given as final answer. 

This is going smoother than it did in 2011 for Urban in regards to information getting leaked. Which IMO is a positive for us to show we can run a tight ship under the new administration of Hartzell/CDC with Eltife being the chair of the BoR since 2018. 

Everyone of those guys are top notch and leadership hasn't been this strong in a long time in the UT admin.
Yeah, agree. I meant the only way we'd hear positive news, but there's no reason we couldn't hear negative news.

That takes us back to no news is good news today.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good morning! What’s for breakfast? Ha!

Stuff I expect 9.95’ers to say: 

1) Belmont’s super secret hideout for entertaining coaching hires has been exposed. They will now have to conduct their negotiations via Zoom as Plan B is now in full swing. Main candidates seem to be a “woke” Godzilla, Ironman and Thor. While it appears one may be deceased we can’t confirm that. Or if we could, we can’t say. Spoilers and all that.
2) All we will say is it’s a “coin flip.” There are some around the program who really really don’t want Thor. Something to do with the Hammer of the Gods and wanting full control of the practice field. Some of the demands like living in a Penthouse at the Top of the UT Tower are a non-starter. We are not changing our fight song to Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song.”

3) There seems to be a push among alumni to add the McRib to stadium food offerings as well. This is troubling and could spell the end of some negotiations with another candidate. As we said before Meyer is still in play and the ball is in his court. He could say yes, no or maybe. Or he could ghost us. Also,  Belmont has continued to assure Tom Herman that his position is safe as well. That’s what those close to Tom are telling us. All of these things could happen. None of them could happen. Surly is a Palace of Degenerates. Don’t visit their site. We may have to raise our monthly price a bit as the past few days of traveling back and forth from ABIA and Horseshoe Bay is expensive. 

4) It may be a day, week or month before we know anything we can report. But we know more stuff than a squid. We do. As proof of this, we are offering to our premium members a course in emojis and how to use and interpret them. We also have a spy in Shelley’s Twitter account. We have people all over. That’s why your news must come from here. Be the first to know. Nothing. It’s a coin flip at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

What's up 45-55 yr old!  We run this shit!  We have seen it all.  I probably met you at a tailgate in the mid to late 90s.  Why leave off Longhornfanzone?  Did Bob rip you off on the bus? 😂

No billybobs texas longhorn page?  Or Andy Liscano recruiting page?

Breakfast with Bobby:

Bobby Burton

Member Who Talks
Despite reports out of Columbus from Kirk Barton, a former player of Urban Meyer, that Meyer is not taking the Texas head coaching position, I have no new reliable news on the Urban Meyer front as it relates to Texas as of 6:50 this morning.

The last I have heard from an unimpeachable Texas source is what I shared with the board yesterday afternoon. “It is all up to Urban at this point,” is the last text I have received on the matter.

It should be noted that unlike from the Texas point of view, I do not have an unimpeachable source from the Meyer camp.

I need to share that point with the community here. I am likely to be made aware of any decision that is communicated to Texas and will share it here as soon as I get it.

How any news will become official or public is out of any person’s control, except perhaps Meyer himself.

So we wait.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The best part was how he got up on his high horse, told you how he's a better fan than you, then told you to get off your high horse. I don't think he knows what that phrase means. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic