Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One "productive" thing one of you assholes could be doing is reading the OSU boards and linking or c&p'ing anything over that implies new fear or chest-beating from mods or insiders when it comes to their staff and UM. I guess being able to discern who knows what and tone-now vs. tone-normal would take a history of lurking or posting on their sites, so maybe that ideas useless too.

My thought exactly. If bringing the mafia is what could be holding this up, let's get some intel from behind enemy lines. 

Edited by TexasEx

20 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah I was coming back to say that I still think the "negotiating" is over and now he's getting his ducks in a row - which could include double checking with his doctor, family, etc. but could also be about making sure he can bring the people that are non-negotiables for him.  He may not take the job on an island but only with his crew or at least the few he feels he has to have.  But that's kind of in the same bucket as the health double check.  due diligence on his side.  not negotiating deal points.  maybe he gets an answer that requires a deal point to be renegotiated but he's likely not leveraging at this point.  But I only come from the angle of negotiating for a living, I have zero inside info.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone is "non-negotiable" for a $10MM per year HC job. I mean, WTF is so special about most assistant coaches? 

Edited by DFW Horn

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The health stuff reads noisy negotiating nonsense, logically, at this point. The Pantoni and Marrotti issues are real. There's also the reality that redlining an agreement is more detail-oriented and time intensive than agreeing to key points and terms. It's banal, but just getting that stuff locked in with the lawyers could take a few days. You don't fire Herman until the pen is ready for the paper, or after the KSU game, whichever comes first. 

I remain in the "Urban Meyer or fuck all of it" crowd. I won't even conjure the notion of the terrible other shit I've heard thrown out. I will say that no one appears to think that Shanahan has any interest whatsoever, so folks should remove him from the theoretical alternative pool. I doubt many were excited at USC when Pete Carroll was hired. My buddies and I fucking laughed about it. So, anything can happen, but nothing sounds right or good right now besides Urban Meyer. If Texas doesn't land him, I may go actually pull an old hornfans moniker out of the mothballs and start posting under a new handle. 

One "productive" thing one of you assholes could be doing is reading the OSU boards and linking or c&p'ing anything over that implies new fear or chest-beating from mods or insiders when it comes to their staff and UM. I guess being able to discern who knows what and tone-now vs. tone-normal would take a history of lurking or posting on their sites, so maybe that ideas useless too.

The important Ohio State people are primarily focused on the program's COVID issues and related Big 10 Championship Game and CFP lobbying efforts right now.  They are obviously aware of the Urban rumors but don't think he will ultimately take the job because of his health issues and related family concerns, his relative contentment with his current situation and their general negativity regarding the state of the Texas program (i.e., "it's a longer project than you think with too many cooks in the kitchen").  They don't think he will even get to the point of seriously soliciting his former staff members.   

Just now, Newy25 said:

One thing I have learned in all of this- my fellow posters on surly have horrible fucking taste in food. If I ever throw a big party to celebrate us hiring Jim Mora or Art Briles at least I know I can literally just dump out a trash can and you guys would be ok with it. No need to go into the wine or whiskey cellar for this crowd. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

See alincoln's post below. The dude is connected within the Ohio State program and has been while posting for at least a decade. 

Ohio State can and will match any offer that Texas makes to Pantoni and Marotti so money isn't going to resolve that issue for Urban.  

I would be shocked if Marotti would agree to a move to Texas.  He has deep Ohio and Ohio State roots and no connection to Texas.  Austin offers him nothing.  Loyalty to Urban is the only thing that would bring him to Texas.

Pantoni might be convinced.  He is young and a Florida guy and could pick any job he wants regardless of how the Texas experience goes.  I don't think Urban would take the Texas job without him so he basically holds a veto and will be under huge pressure to remain at Ohio State.

Bottom line, Urban would be desperate to take both to Texas but may be able to live without Marotti.

Mark Pantoni Bio

Mark Pantoni
Assistant Athletic Director, Player Personnel
Ohio State University

Mark Pantoni is in his eighth season with the Ohio State football program. He was promoted to the position of assistant athletic director for player personnel in the summer of 2018. In this position, Pantoni supervises all aspects of the program’s administrative duties for recruiting, including film evaluations, on-campus official and unofficial visits, the social media/creative team, travel and roster management.

A terrific relationship with prospects and meticulous attention to detail and administrative skills has helped Pantoni and Ohio State secure seven Top 5 recruiting classes in eight years, including a No. 2 ranking in 2018 and a 2017 class that produced the highest per player average in the 247Sports Composite rankings history. He also helped Ohio State to a 2016 class ranked as high as No. 2 by Scout and No. 3 by Rivals, and to the No. 1 class in the nation in 2013 by Scout.

His efforts have earned him recognition as the FootballScoop 2014 Director Player Personnel of the Year presented by ProGrass after being a finalist for the honor in 2013.

Pantoni started in his Ohio State position in December 2011 after working at the University of Florida for five years. He had direct responsibilities as a recruiting program coordinator for two seasons, including serving as Florida’s director of football administration from March 2011 through the end of the 2011 regular season.

Pantoni also helped with Florida’s highly successful summer camp showcase, Friday Night Lights. One of the best-known on-campus summer camps, this one-night event was held under the lights in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium with music and highlight videos on the scoreboard. The concept of Friday Night Lights has continued in Columbus each July in Ohio Stadium.

A Florida native, Pantoni grew up in Sarasota and attended the University of Florida. He has both bachelor’s (Summa Cum Laude; 2004) and master’s (2006) degrees from Florida in applied physiology and kinesiology.

Pantoni’s wife, the former Kristin O’Berry, is also a Florida native (Jacksonville) and a University of Florida graduate. The couple has toddler twins: son Hayden and daughter, Madison.

Mark Pantoni Quick Facts

Hometown: Sarasota, Fla.
High School: Cardinal Mooney (Sarasota, Fla.) H.S.
Alma Mater: Florida, 2004
Master’s Degree: Florida, 2006
Year in Administration: 10th (Eighth year at Ohio State)
Wife: Kristin
Children: Twins Hayden and Madison

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

All this hamburger talk. May just have to cook. I got my spicy Whataburger ketchup, wickles pickles, bacon and aged white sharp cheddar and mustard. Plus I got tots. 

I am not worried about this anymore. We put forward a strong offer and negotiations were likely to happen regardless. Plus, in Texas you can keep more of your money. California is on lockdown any way. Ohio is too cold. I imagine the health concerns and family concerns about said health have already been addressed. Jmo. I would think just because of Shelley alone he would have at least talked that out. Before even entertaining an offer. Jmo again. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

All this hamburger talk. May just have to cook. I got my spicy Whataburger ketchup, wickles pickles, bacon and aged white sharp cheddar and mustard. Plus I got tots. 

I am not worried about this anymore. We put forward a strong offer and negotiations were likely to happen regardless. Plus, in Texas you can keep more of your money. California is on lockdown any way. Ohio is too cold. I imagine the health concerns and family concerns about said health have already been addressed. Jmo. I would think just because of Shelley alone he would have at least talked that out. Before even entertaining an offer. Jmo again. 

Napoleon Give Me Some Of Your Tots GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Right, unless he just comes out and says "Texas isn't the right kind of program fit for me, but good luck to anyone taking it", which would be crushing the UT program's soul, I'm guessing health is most likely the reason he'd give, if he said anything publicly. 

One theory around the premise of him not taking the job, which I think is a legitimate consideration if he does say no, is that he thinks USC comes open after next year and that that is the spot he wants to be. I guess I can understand that, but I choose to believe that he'll instead be announced at Texas within the next 7 days and nothing else is worth deeply examining.

This. I am going to live in the fantasy land that Urban Meyer will be our next coach until he unequivocally shuts the door.  The shit sandwich that is every other option besides Meyer is thoroughly depressing, and we'll have plenty of time to punch ourselves in the dick repeatedly if Meyer says no.

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Alumnihorn on IT (supposedly in the know)

It is literally a coin flip now. And it could happen at any moment. I was just told this by someone that knows.

So he's in the know that Meyer will either say yes or no and it could, but won't necessarily, happen any moment.  Wow, that is some serious inside info. He must have some damn good sources on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I have a hard time understanding why anyone is "non-negotiable" for a $10MM per year HC job. I mean, WTF is so special about most assistant coaches? 

Strength and Conditioning coach spends the most time with the players, Recruiting Co-ordinator knows how to deliver the bags.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Mark Pantone Bio

So he’s an Urban guy. 

He and his wife are from Florida and one would assume they’d be open to moving somewhere warmer. 

They have toddlers. If he’s been eyeballing a move to another locale, this is an opportune time before the kids are school age. It’s not a hard sale if and when you throw in a pay raise. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The important Ohio State people are primarily focused on the program's COVID issues and related Big 10 Championship Game and CFP lobbying efforts right now.  They are obviously aware of the Urban rumors but don't think he will ultimately take the job because of his health issues and related family concerns, his relative contentment with his current situation and their general negativity regarding the state of the Texas program (i.e., "it's a longer project than you think with too many cooks in the kitchen").  They don't think he will even get to the point of seriously soliciting his former staff members.   

On the one hand, this not being on OSU's radar could mean that we are making too much of this and it's really not that close to happening

On the other, the school getting left is often the last to know (see Bru McCoy, both times)

I don’t think Pantoni is going to say “urban, you’re just going to have to stay retired.....I’m not coming”.

Pantoni is coming because it’s going to be too lucrative not too. I know OSU can match anything we pay him, but that won’t be everything.

Pantoni is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm not optimistic about Pantoni and especially Marrotti, but I am confident he'd be able to live with whoever he landed for position coaches/coordinators. Would suck to lose him over two support staff guys. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of a program but sure seems like a strength coach and recruiting coordinator wouldn't be that big to replace if you're really an elite coach.

Also, very true that legal docs take time. Anyone expecting that to be wrapped up in 24 hours has never dealt with lawyers lol

I'm sure they both got offers from other schools after Urby left.  I know we watched that REAL close, so I tend to agree with you that they're staying.  That said, Urby's hires are usually great.*  If he can't score Pantoni and Marrotti, I don't see that isn't a hangup.  He'll find other guys who are great.  Might even be from his own coaching tree.

*Other than Zach Smith of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Strength and Conditioning coach spends the most time with the players, Recruiting Co-ordinator knows how to deliver the bags.

Yeah, but they've got assistants under them who've been groomed over time to fill the same roles.

Just sayin'

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

I don’t think Pantoni is going to say “urban, you’re just going to have to stay retired.....I’m not coming”.

Pantoni is coming because it’s going to be too lucrative not too. I know OSU can match anything we pay him, but that won’t be everything.

Pantoni is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While I have no doubt that tOSU will likely match up to a pretty ridiculous number, if we're actually willing to pay Urban 12 per year, then we'll probably also offer Pantoni life-changing money to the point where all the uncertainty over leaving tOSU for UT won't really matter.  

Can anyone give me a good reason why they get their dick hard about Shanahan? What makes us think he could recruit or coach the college game? I get that he's a young coach who took his team to the SB but he's spent his entire career in the NFL

Coaching is coaching. We need evaluators, strategists, and developers at Texas more than rainmakers. Charlie Strong and Herman were bringing in Top 10 classes before their lame ducks.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

Yep and they mentioned on the Radio that according to Babers, Shanahan has zero interest in recruiting. That would be a pretty major issue..

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Guessing this shits on anybody hoping Bob Stoops was going to be a backup plan.

I'm pretty sure if we waved 8 figures/year in his stupid face he'd tell Riley to fuck off and run his own practices.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

because winning is non-negotiable and UM knows he's the guy, but any CEO/ops guy will tell you they need their team.  UM needs his guy(s) to win.  so indirectly, that guy or those guys are non-negotiable.  if they won't come, he can't be guaranteed of winning, if he can't be guaranteed of winning, he won't go.  I think this is executive 101 actually.  not shocked at all.

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Guessing this shits on anybody hoping Bob Stoops was going to be a backup plan.

I do not know how I can say it so people stop thinking this is an option. Stoops isn’t happening. That’s not from a “source” either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

go on...

Lulz that dude signed up less than 24 hours ago...

reminds me of that slapdick in the recruiting thread last year or year before saying he had inside info about a recruit committing and then nope. (Think it was Walker Little actually)

Edited by CowboyFred

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic