Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m not blown away by any options outside of Urban. If Urban says no for now but he thinks he’ll be ready to get back into coaching a year from now, it may be worth it to hold out one more year. And yes, I know that means suffering another year of turtle Tom. Ugh

Too fucking late. One more year of Tom, who is a dead man walking already, will damage this program for years to come. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not blown away by any options outside of Urban. If Urban says no for now but he thinks he’ll be ready to get back into coaching a year from now, it may be worth it to hold out one more year. And yes, I know that means suffering another year of turtle Tom. Ugh
If it's not Urban, it won't matter if we keep Tom or bring in a new underwhelming hire.

10 years is plenty of patience. We either make the moves necessary to land the big changes, or I suspect a significant portion of our base is out for a while.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@alincoln

With the alleged 10 million dollar staff budget do you think the following is possible?

do you think Ohio state would match a million plus salary for Marotti? $1,235,000($500k raise)

mark pantoni - $600k(400k raise)

Brian Voltolini - $700k($460k raise) 

which would leave nearly 7.5 million for remaining staff  

Retain chris ash and that’s 6.7 million left  another 700k for his son to be co-oc/QB coach and that’s would be about 6 million remaining 

We can keep Giles on staff with pluckers gift cards 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@alincoln

With the alleged 10 million dollar staff budget do you think the following is possible?

do you think Ohio state would match a million plus salary for Marotti? $1,235,000($500k raise)

mark pantoni - $600k(400k raise)

Brian Voltolini - $700k($460k raise) 

which would leave nearly 7.5 million for remaining staff  

Retain chris ash and that’s 6.7 million left  another 700k for his son to be co-oc/QB coach and that’s would be about 6 million remaining 

Chris Ash for 800k/yr is a steal.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Too fucking late. One more year of Tom, who is a dead man walking already, will damage this program for years to come. 

Would be the death knell. Recruiting would never be worse and I don’t know if even Urban can save it. Two transition classes is a 4-5 year rebuild

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Would be the death knell. Recruiting would never be worse and I don’t know if even Urban can save it. Two transition classes is a 4-5 year rebuild

Agreed. Needs to be done this year so there's minimal damage due to extended eligibility and transfer freebie.

Edited by CenTex Hill Billy

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Agreed. Every day Herman remains makes the job of the next coach harder, no matter who it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The coin flip stuff is hilarious. They charge money for that shit? At least we do have some credible sources. For fist’s sake lol. 

Yep. Sounds exactly like ... oh, I dunno ... something the site owner would post to get more subscribers signed up.

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

If it's not Urban, it won't matter if we keep Tom or bring in a new underwhelming hire.

10 years is plenty of patience. We either make the moves necessary to land the big changes, or I suspect a significant portion of our base is out for a while.

Good news is, CDC has to know this. Hence throwing the $60m+ kitchen sink Urban. 

I was out for most of last season and this one too. Can’t imagine giving a shit next year if it’s some wide-eyed new coach who’s in way over his head.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This here. Zero confidence from fans and donors will result in attendance drop and no money coming in. Recruiting will have even a bigger gap (USC found this out that even at a blue blood,  recruiting can go to hell due to coaching uncertainty) between the haves and us.

Fuck this. I need my blankey now.

That’s why we are swinging big. Aim past the fences. Ten years is too long. Herman hit the reset button (hiring a new staff). He was given every fair chance to succeed and had 15 returning seniors and a sports media consensus Heisman candidate QB. He’s been given every resource to make it work. Year on year improvement. Not starting every year like it’s year one. He was given a shot to made the Big 12 and he failed. Wasting one more moment’s thought or year on him would be foolish. We have seen the ceiling and it’s as close as he will ever get. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

How long were Bama’s negotiations with Saban? If it can believed they just kept asking until he said yes. Refused to take no for an answer. Wear ‘em down! Hook’em. No is not an answer we should accept. There is no “no.” 

Used radiator magnate out of Mobile pushed it over the top

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Here is the proof as well...USC below Rutgers in recruiting regardless of class size

5872F755-AF3F-4743-A74B-3CB3302E2C6B.png

20 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Yeah I'm with you. Like I said, it's highly unlikely. I think he's the first call you make if Urban says no. He'd probably say no, but I'm just outlining why I think his system would do well in college.

Im sure there are lots of people that will be called again but Shanahan already politely told us to take him off the list. Same with Saban and Dabo. 

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The ice cream they serve is blue bell. Really good shakes due to that. Yeah I know aggy/listeria etc but still nice. 

74B80727-DA35-45B4-9277-70EEFCB60453.png

022B913E-9486-497C-A18A-2514F0CE7931.png

Stopped at the one in Fairfield several times during the Houston to Dallas treks, not a bad burger at all

• Like 1

I'd be very content if the NFL name is Matt Rhule and we got him. And if the qualifications required are college HC experience, I think he and Pete Carroll are the only ones who fit the criteria. I guess O'Brien too if he still counts as NFL but no chance Houston BMDs would ok that

34 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Speaking of Spaghetti, do you combine the noodles and sauce first, then plate? Or do you put pasta on plate, then add sauce? I always did the former, but I was told that its the wrong way..

What is this "sauce" that you speak of?  My understanding of guido terminology is that they call it gravy.  

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If Meyer wants to keep Carrington, sure.  Otherwise,  he can follow up Herman to the next spot or go to LSU.  His shine has worn off a bit with our lackluster recruiting.

Hard disagree. Dude will easily find another job and is smart enough to not follow Herman

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Tex-19 said:

I'd be very content if the NFL name is Matt Rhule and we got him. And if the qualifications required are college HC experience, I think he and Pete Carroll are the only ones who fit the criteria. I guess O'Brien too if he still counts as NFL but no chance Houston BMDs would ok that

Matt Ruhle is guaranteed something like $50-60 million from the Panthers, who also paid a pretty damn high buyout to Baylor to get him.

Ruhle took a ton of his coaching tree and buddies with him to Carolina

Ruhle may hate coaching in the NFL but he isn't dumb enough to crater his NFL career FOR-EV-ER halfway through his first season to leave for another job in college.

It is not Matt Ruhle and even hinting at it is a waste of brainpower.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Matt Rhule is signed through '27... $62MM over 7. Not gonna happen.

Edited by CenTex Hill Billy
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't think money matters with respect to Marotti' s decision.  He's either going to follow Urban or he's not regardless of the cash.  

Ohio State would match the Pantoni offer if Day told them to which I'm sure he would.  He would absolutely turn Texas recruiting on its head overnight.  Back to Mack era closed borders.

3 hours ago, 936horn said:

Can anyone give me a good reason why they get their dick hard about Shanahan? What makes us think he could recruit or coach the college game? I get that he's a young coach who took his team to the SB but he's spent his entire career in the NFL

Well he and Chris Simms had matching butt tattoos or something if IIRC, so there's that. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at Victory88 blaming Carrington for our lackluster recruiting. Thats like blaming the WR for not catching the ball when the QB throws it 40 yards out of bounds. 

Well maybe the receiver should've had enough body control to catch it and land in bounds anyway!

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Right, unless he just comes out and says "Texas isn't the right kind of program fit for me, but good luck to anyone taking it", which would be crushing the UT program's soul, I'm guessing health is most likely the reason he'd give, if he said anything publicly. 

One theory around the premise of him not taking the job, which I think is a legitimate consideration if he does say no, is that he thinks USC comes open after next year and that that is the spot he wants to be. I guess I can understand that, but I choose to believe that he'll instead be announced at Texas within the next 7 days and nothing else is worth deeply examining.

I think the best next step in this recruiting thread is to provide a detailed outline of USC vs Texas Co-eds.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at Victory88 blaming Carrington for our lackluster recruiting. Thats like blaming the WR for not catching the ball when the QB throws it 40 yards out of bounds. 

I'm not blaming him.  I'm ready for a fresh start.  Why not see if there are better options if there is an overhaul and if Meyer finds him to be best at the job, then keep him.

Herman was given the following contract in 2018:

FY 2019: $5,750,000
FY 2020: $6,000,000
FY 2021: $6,250,000
FY 2022: $6,500,000
FY 2023: $6,750,000

That's $31.25 million dollars. He's getting all of it for only having coached two years. That's $15.625M/year for the two season he coached before getting fired for sucking.

Paying Urban $12M/year looks like a fucking bargain comparatively.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, victory88 said:

I'm not blaming him.  I'm ready for a fresh start.  Why not see if there are better options if there is an overhaul and if Meyer finds him to be best at the job, then keep him.

while I am sure Urbs has Texas HSFB connections you might keep one guy that has current relationships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Herman was given the following contract in 2018:

FY 2019: $5,750,000
FY 2020: $6,000,000
FY 2021: $6,250,000
FY 2022: $6,500,000
FY 2023: $6,750,000

That's $31.25 million dollars. He's getting all of it for only having coached two years. That's $15.625M/year for the two season he coached before getting fired for sucking.

Paying Urban $12M/year looks like a fucking bargain comparatively.

Jesus that's some stupid shit. At least make a guy lose less than 4 games one time before you break the bank.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic